Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Just Announced at the AMA Show!!!!!!! JR 28X high end radio!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Just Announced at the AMA Show!!!!!!! JR 28X high end radio!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 08:50 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sideshow
Dammit....
My exact feelings.. I just bought a DX18 (used) I'm glad this happened before I transferred (manually btw from my 12X) all of my programs. Maybe I wait and get one of these instead.

Last edited by AndyAndrews; 01-11-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:17 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sirrom
[snip]

Also who is going to be responsible for keeping the android operating system updated, will that be JR, Google, or Samsung?

[snip]
Patrick
This is the one comment that caught my eye...

Why does the Android operating system have to be updated? Its an embedded system without connection to the outside world (i.e., its not a phone or network device), so who cares if it's not running Icicle 2.34705 or whatever the latest Andriod OS is? As long as it can run the JR RC transmitter app, that's all you need.

I have a 3-year old Andriod phone that works perfectly well as a phone and gets MyCast weather at the field, so I've never updated the OS - it works perfectly, so leave it alone...

I'm sure that if an update to the JR RC transmitter app comes out that needs a new OS, then it will be provided with the download for the app...

Bob

Last edited by rhklenke; 01-11-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:33 AM
jfetter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley Condra
And, I will bet that it is not backward compatible with any of the 12 channel receivers.
I'll give them credit for trying, it looks like a huge step up for them but dropping support for DSM/DSM2/DSMx and everything that came before to move to DMSS left a bad taste in my mouth that I won't soon forget...

Jack
Old 01-11-2014, 12:02 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

No "model match" because Spektrum owns that technology.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:29 PM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyAndrews
No "model match" because Spektrum owns that technology.
Don't the new JR DMSS systems have something similar to model match which will let you know if you've selected the the wrong model memory? I believe they call it "model link". The absence of such a feature would be a show stopper for me.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:49 PM
rhklenke

Originally Posted by jfetter
I'll give them credit for trying, it looks like a huge step up for them but dropping support for DSM/DSM2/DSMx and everything that came before to move to DMSS left a bad taste in my mouth that I won't soon forget...

Jack
You've got to realize two things - 1) DSM/DSM2/DSMX was NEVER JR technology, it has always belonged to Spektrum/Horizon, and 2) once Spektrum came out with ts own TX's (always planned), JR HAD to drop DSM/DSM2/DSMX beause they don't own it and Spetrum/Horizon took it away.

You should also realize the DMSS is superior to DSM/DSM2/DSMX, but that's another story.

Bob
Old 01-11-2014, 01:59 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Too late into the market, unpopular protocol, I think it will bomb and this coming from a 17yr JR user but, when the 12x goes, I won't be moving to DMSS

Mike
Old 01-11-2014, 02:07 PM
jfetter

Originally Posted by rhklenke
You've got to realize two things - 1) DSM/DSM2/DSMX was NEVER JR technology, it has always belonged to Spektrum/Horizon, and 2) once Spektrum came out with ts own TX's (always planned), JR HAD to drop DSM/DSM2/DSMX beause they don't own it and Spetrum/Horizon took it away.

You should also realize the DMSS is superior to DSM/DSM2/DSMX, but that's another story.

Bob
My understanding of the agreement between Spektrum and JR was they were allowed to freely use DSM/DSM2/DSMx 2.4Ghz technology in exchange for building the Spektrum radio line and that deal did not expire when they parted ways but rather JR deemed them more a threat at that point and the divergence was a business plan, i.e. leaving that technology behind in favor of a another proprietary system as they had been used to doing for many years before. I fully believe JR made the decision to not support these legacy devices on their own. As for being superior, that may be true at the technical level but given the existing protocol is already over-engineered, that difference means very little in a real work application...

Jack
Old 01-11-2014, 03:07 PM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Having Just made the move to DMSS myself, with all the same misgivings about going through the DSM/DSM2/DSMX hoops, I can only say one thing.

I LOVE IT!!!

The resolution and response from the very same servo on the DMSS system is so much better!! I flew a cheapy model with my DMS2 radio as a test model when my XG14 arrived, and then converted it at the field to my XG14, the difference It made was unbelievable. I flew it to the edge of my comfortable vision distance, which from my FPV experience with GPS logging equipment onboard was about 700m away with out any problems at all. But that wasn't what impressed me. The best way I can describe it was the difference in smoothness and response of analoge servos to digital ones. the model felt so much nice and smoother with far better response, and all i did was stick a new R/X in there!

The gimbals in the XG14 are the new aluminium you-beaut ones from JR and feel silky smooth. I think that the options and uses for telemetry will have the same transforming effect to R/C flying that 2.4g radio technology did. I had a temp sensor on the flight pack of the model and set the alarm which clearly buzzed when I reached the temp. my spotter was also calling the telemetry data for me live because he could . JR said their airspeed sensor will be coming out in march, which will allow you to work out a stall speed for your model, and then set an alarm at your safety margin about stall speed, it should help immensely in getting consistent approach speeds for landing every time.

Funnily enough, everything that people have been asking of JR on their facebook page to have the software updated on the XG range of radios is standard here on the 24X. Telemetry logging, voice and tone warnings that are adjustable, adjustable switch locations like the Jeti radios, etc...

When I moved to DMS2, I did it early enough that there were still heaps of people flying the older technology and i was able to still get some reasonable money for my old R/X's, really helped offset the cost to transfer across. I have plenty of models, so it still wasn't all that cheap, and I have to say that I was extremely hesitant before I bought the XG14 for exactly the same reason. I only have 2 models in the new radio so far, But the gain with DMSS over the older systems for me makes it totally justified.

The only problem I have with the 28X is that as the 18MZ is over $3k, this one runs the risk of being way over that, putting it well and truly out of my reach.

Thanks

Dave

Last edited by ticketec; 01-11-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:26 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About damned time! I'm a Futaba guy through and through but the lack of competition in high-end radios has gone on way too long. Without competition, technology can stagnate and prices tend to be higher than they would be otherwise. As far as the operating system is concerned, the Windows-based UI in the 18MZ works just fine, so an Android-based system should be at least as reliable. JR has had plenty of time to develop this radio so it is probably VERY capable, indeed. Let's hope they didn't s@#t-it-up with a bunch of features no one will ever use except to pad the list of features. As long as DMSS proves to be at least as bullet-proof as FASSTest, JR is right back in the high-end market that they appeared to have given up on.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:31 PM
rcguy59

http://www.jramericas.com/28x/
Old 01-11-2014, 05:43 PM
jefflangton
My Feedback: (23)

I'd rather spend the cash on a nice new plane and use a radio that wont brown out!!
Old 01-11-2014, 05:53 PM
ExFokkerFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't the new JR DMSS systems have something similar to model match which will let you know if you've selected the the wrong model memory? I believe they call it "model link". The absence of such a feature would be a show stopper for me.
Yes it does. If you have the wrong model selected, nothing moves it just sits there. I've "tested" it myself on my XG14.

Tom M
Old 01-11-2014, 05:53 PM
jfetter

Well, follow the link and they talk about the OS, the gimbal, the flight modes, the battery and such but nothing on how many mixes it has, if it has a built-in gear sequencer, offers servo speed adjustment on every channel, is firmware upgradeable, has built-in telemetry etc. If you need 28 discreet channels this radio is for you but I'm hard pressed to see what is offered in this radio that you can't already get in a much cheaper option. Guys that want pictures of their models or to hear it talk back or play MP3's, OK, I get it's a cool toy but what innovation in actual control of R/C models did they bring to the table here?

Jack
Old 01-11-2014, 06:57 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley Condra
And, I will bet that it is not backward compatible with any of the 12 channel receivers.
It is not. It's DMSS. New receivers are $119 though.. so not too bad.

I had it in my hands today. Len told me this is very close to if not the final hardware revision, but he wasn't sure on where the software was currently.

The feel is very nice. Ergos are good. The gimbals are amazing. The best descriptor I can think of is fluid. The touch screen is very clear and easy to read (not that I understood it since it's in Japanese), and I THINK it's a capacitive and not resistive screen which is great! It has a pretty solid build, and I'd compare it to say a 12X in weight. You're going to want to use a neck strap for sure. The power switch is a flush fitted and depressed to click arrangement. You won't likely turn this off by mistake when reaching for trims. There are switches everywhere including a couple on the back easily reached by fingers, as well as a couple mounted on the bottom of the sticks (yes.. the bottom). These seem most easily reached by a thumb flyer IMO.

Interesting note.. it has Wi-Fi built in, so software/firmware updates can be handled via the internet with no cables or SD cards necessary.

Nobody at JR Americas even knows what the price might be, so they don't want to speculate on it. That'll come in the near future I'm told. HOWEVER... When I asked one of the JR guys from Japan if it was going to be in the same ballpark as the 18MZ, he looked at me in horror and said "No! 28X affordable", but I couldn't get anything more specific out of him.

Last edited by Doug Cronkhite; 01-11-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:57 PM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I wonder if Spectrum will ever come out with a Tx that has the fit, finish, and feel of JR or Futaba, or Jeti, high end radios.... I think that is what a LOT of us JR/Spectrum fliers really want. I wish Sectrum would just put the DX18 innards into a nice box and charge a few hundred more for the alu frame and metal gimbals. I would pay 1200 for a Spectrum Tx with the features and construction of this new 28X. I would not pay 2500 for the 28X. Just my priorities though. I am flying two 11x and a 9303 now so I am kind of a cheapskate when it comes to Tx.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:08 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My issue with Spektrum releasing a high end radio is quality control. The primary reason I switched to the 18mz was because of 3 defective DX18s. 2 DX18QQ and 1 standard. I lost a TREX 700 due to a defective DX8, so I had enough. Time will tell if I stick with futaba, but I'll never buy another Spektrum radio.

Last edited by dubd; 01-11-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:12 PM
rhklenke

Originally Posted by jfetter
[snip]

As for being superior, that may be true at the technical level but given the existing protocol is already over-engineered, that difference means very little in a real work application...

Jack
Actually, it makes a world of difference in this real-world application. JR's DMSS is one receiver, two antennas, set, and forget it - just like every other 2.4 GHz system out there - except for Spektrum.

I think its only a matter of time before you see either 1) Spektrum go by the wayside (I doubt it), or 2) a new Spektrum "protocol" that only requires one receiver and 2 antennas and leaves all of this multiple satellite receivers, checking fades and holds, etc. in the past. Of course, in order to do that, they'll have to abandon their current RF front-end in favor of a more robust one as used in all of their competitors.

Whether or not this new "protocol" is backwards compatible with DSMX, we'll have to see...

Bob
Old 01-11-2014, 07:12 PM
Lownverted
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Held and played with a bit myself. The gimbals are the nicest I've ever felt by far. It even has sliders on the sticks for a couple of channels. Interesting to see what MAP will be.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:13 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dubd
My issue with Spektrum releasing a high end radio is quality control. The primary reason I switched to the 18mz was because 3 defective DX18s. 2 DX18QQ and 1 standard. I lost a TREX 700 due to a defective DX8, so I had enough. Time will tell if I stick with futaba, but I'll never buy another Spektrum radio.
I'd say if you're flying Futaba and are happy with it, stick with it unless the 18MZ is limiting you somehow. The 28X seems like a pretty impressive radio to me. It's likely that Futaba will respond somehow.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:18 PM
PowerBoxDanny
My Feedback: (47)

A bit more than a year ago, I had the XG 11 shipped to me from japan before it was in the US. I was between radios because I had sold my 11X and if I am going to invest in a new radio, I wanted the latest. I also wanted the most connected feel and 12X quality gimbals for my prop 3D flying. Flying 3D, the gimbals take a massive beating and in other radios have ruined gimbals. No one puts a beating on gimbals like 3D heli and airplane pilots. Having used every other radio out there, the DMSS feels much more connected. I don't see this flying jets because inputs are small and slow where with 3D it's fast, slamming at time at the limits with very little stop of movement. It's there where I witnessed the biggest difference.

I love this radio. I have always thought JR made the best gimbals and radios having used the 12x in jets for years. I need more channels but did not like the look of the XG14. I knew the flagship was coming soon and because it is the latest technology, I will buy this. Because it will last me for years. I will be ordering this radio when it comes out.

All my planes now run on DMSS. 2 large viper jets and also a yellow twin 18. Also, easier when you have 40% planes that use 13 servos. Their current Xbus works great!

Last edited by PowerBoxDanny; 01-11-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:53 PM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug Cronkhite
It is not. It's DMSS. New receivers are $119 though.. so not too bad.

Nobody at JR Americas even knows what the price might be, so they don't want to speculate on it. That'll come in the near future I'm told. HOWEVER... When I asked one of the JR guys from Japan if it was going to be in the same ballpark as the 18MZ, he looked at me in horror and said "No! 28X affordable", but I couldn't get anything more specific out of him.
Yes, I was very surprised when I say the prices of all the new receivers! about 50% cheaper than the DMS2 equivalents.

I expect it to be pricey, but then again the XG14 was $600 which is far cheaper than it's competitors, so maybe it will be well priced. I think that a good price will definately help heal the wounds of those who have spent $$$ upgrading as JR have changed protocols..

Thanks

dave
Old 01-11-2014, 08:57 PM
jzuniga
My Feedback: (7)

Originally Posted by dubd
My issue with Spektrum releasing a high end radio is quality control. The primary reason I switched to the 18mz was because of 3 defective DX18s. 2 DX18QQ and 1 standard. I lost a TREX 700 due to a defective DX8, so I had enough. Time will tell if I stick with futaba, but I'll never buy another Spektrum radio.
I NEVER wanted to pay 3K for a radio, but Futaba has never let me down…
That being said… I wish Futaba would come out with a RX that has a built in gyro like Weatronics….;-)

Z

Last edited by jzuniga; 01-11-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:00 PM
DISCUS54
My Feedback: (211)

Looking forward to reading more about its capability and cost. Thank you JR!
Old 01-11-2014, 09:05 PM
rcguy59

Amen, Jaime!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.