Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lightbulb RC JET turbine (Kingtech) start without ECU, starter, valves..etc experiment!!!!!

Greeting to all,

WARNING!!! DONT TRY THIS AT HOME, RISK OF FIRE!!!

this is my first post and I would like to share my experiment on a Kingtech K80

this engine was involved in a crash and got burned, the only saved part is the turbine body without any accessories or electronics...

- using a SlimLine smoke pump as a fuel pump
    - a servo tester to control the pump speed for controlling fuel flow
    - a torch and air compressor for starting the engine

http://youtu.be/eU34uTw6SMA

Last edited by morwan_gsm; 01-11-2014 at 11:38 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    the view from your workshop is pretty cool

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Boys and girls, don't try this at home!

The start up and running is also pretty cool, but sorry about your crash,

Regards,
    Barry
    www.kingtechturbines.com
    kingtechturbines@gmail.com
    1-626-793-4677
    1-626-399-7588 Barry's cell/text

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I can't even begin to list all the wrongs I see here.....
    Last edited by kimhey; 01-11-2014 at 01:39 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    This remind me of how we started. Back in the day we built a KJ66 ourselves from plans and some turbo parts. We started them with compressed air a glow battery and ran them using a model smoke pump and an electric car speed controller. In some case we even used a separate oil supply. The first monitoring was started on temperature and the next RPM.

......glad I don't have to do that any longer.
    It is always pilot error.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I know it is very dangerous to do this experiment at home, the fire extingucher is ready behind me and ready .!!!
    I even didn't advance more throttle because of noise and exhaust flames, in the next test i will move the project outside and make a suitable engine stand to make more safe tests...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have always wanted to try this

Would be cool to make your own DIY ECU with a microcontroller and see how good you could get the ramping etc.

Paul.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by paulhat View Post
    I have always wanted to try this

Would be cool to make your own DIY ECU with a microcontroller and see how good you could get the ramping etc.

Paul.
    Believe me the manual control for the pump gives faster turbine acceleration than the ECU !! but forget about safety as it will start flaming from back like a dragon !!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    On our first flights back in 1996 with Jesus Artes we used a Kavan fuel pump and a speed controller for a brushed dc motor from a RC car. We had a adjustable bypass valve to adjust the maximum fuel flow at full power. No RPM meter, we checked just the compressor pressure and adjusted the maximum before each flight. Idle power was adjusted by trim, and acceleration and deceleration was adjusted by the "servo slow" function on the TX.

We flown using this setup from summer of 1996 (17 years ago!) to June of 1998 when I did the first flight with a fadec controlled engine.

Some footage of our beginnings, put together by a fellow friend. Turbine footage begins around minute 4, includes our early experiments in 1993-1995. The plane on the final minutes on the video weighted 7,8Kg at take off, for a thrust of 3,5kg of the engine, but on first two flights we flown with 2,6Kg thrust, about 1/3 of thrust/weight ratio

h?v=zK6OxKG2wzM
    Owner of: www.xicoy.com Partner of:www.jets-munt.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Starting my airstart Ram engine was almost like that...The ecu back then was basically a speed controller with expo & temp monitoring. My concern is Barry wouldn't able to fix that engine if it should fall off your balcony

P.S was it your hotspot that crash?
    It's a hobby - keep it simple

www.332ndredtail.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaspar View Post
    On our first flights back in 1996 with Jesus Artes we used a Kavan fuel pump and a speed controller for a brushed dc motor from a RC car. We had a adjustable bypass valve to adjust the maximum fuel flow at full power. No RPM meter, we checked just the compressor pressure and adjusted the maximum before each flight. Idle power was adjusted by trim, and acceleration and deceleration was adjusted by the "servo slow" function on the TX.

We flown using this setup from summer of 1996 (17 years ago!) to June of 1998 when I did the first flight with a fadec controlled engine.

Some footage of our beginnings, put together by a fellow friend. Turbine footage begins around minute 4, includes our early experiments in 1993-1995. The plane on the final minutes on the video weighted 7,8Kg at take off, for a thrust of 3,5kg of the engine, but on first two flights we flown with 2,6Kg thrust, about 1/3 of thrust/weight ratio

h?v=zK6OxKG2wzM
    Hi Gaspar,

I guess its thanks to people like you that this part of the hobby has become so accessible to the everyday modeller like myself..

Paul.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I used to start one of my early turbines with a barbeque lighter to ignite the propane at the rear of the turbine. The turbine was spun up using an electric motor on the end of a piece of wood. It was easier to start if there was two of you working together.
    How things have changed
    JET FLYING:- Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaspar View Post

h?v=zK6OxKG2wzM
    Mr. Gaspar

its a great video

i was planning to make the same pump as you did earlier by with a geared pump and a brushed ESC but one of my friend offered me this Slimline smoke pump for free , then i feel that cant wait to start the experiment !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    You and Jesus are the parents of gas turbine in rc models big respect for both of you!! I still have a kj66 which i have made with Martin Lambert at his workshop converted to 12 stick inconel cc and a starter motor for full auto start. When ever i show this turbine to a friend i always mention your names and tell them that this was the design that almost all the rc gas turbines have till now and it all started from this turbine.

morwan_gsm

what is the reason you are making this experiment ??
    you will probably make more damage to the turbine that it has.
    Exclusive sales of MVVS in Cyprus, Exclusive sales of XTREME ARF Cyprus, Middle East, South Africa.
    Info on:mvvscy@yahoo.com, sales@rchobbycy.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by cyprusjets View Post
    You and Jesus are the parents of gas turbine in rc models big respect for both of you!! I still have a kj66 which i have made with Martin Lambert at his workshop converted to 12 stick inconel cc and a starter motor for full auto start. When ever i show this turbine to a friend i always mention your names and tell them that this was the design that almost all the rc gas turbines have till now and it all started from this turbine.

morwan_gsm

what is the reason you are making this experiment ??
    you will probably make more damage to the turbine that it has.
    first I got this turbine for free from my friend, the repairing cost will be too much as I don't have ECU, pump, starter, valves, sensors and a damaged cover, adding to that there is noise from bearings and some cracks on the compressor !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Gaspar !! Classic ... Awesome video. Really something to be proud of.

Thanks for sharing and what you've done to bring us all great toys!

Steve

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by basimpsn View Post
    Starting my airstart Ram engine was almost like that...The ecu back then was basically a speed controller with expo & temp monitoring. My concern is Barry wouldn't able to fix that engine if it should fall off your balcony

P.S was it your hotspot that crash?
    here no temp sensor even