Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 424

  1. #76

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Surrey, BC, CANADA
    Posts
    418
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Jet cats sit lower on the rails , I had that issue with a gbooster 160 so I put it in a jetcat mount problem solved.
    if ya aint burnin well?

    KEV-O

  2. #77

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    lel, NETHERLANDS
    Posts
    127
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Please be aware that there is also a difference in Jetcat mounts between engine types. Before the RX serie the shaft is substantial lower than the mount (6mm roughly) The RX and later series have centermounts if I am not mistaken.

    I had to raise my 120SX 4 mm to align with the bell.

    Cheers Mick.

  3. #78

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Surrey, BC, CANADA
    Posts
    418
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Good to know I'm planning on a 140rx in mine or the gbooster I have for my tutor
    if ya aint burnin well?

    KEV-O

  4. #79

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Surrey, BC, CANADA
    Posts
    418
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    My bird is here I can't wait to start on it, gotta finish customer turbo raven first. I'm impressed with the packing it comes in.
    if ya aint burnin well?

    KEV-O

  5. #80
    number27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Queensland, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    248
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Finalizing build and with K170G fitted (awaiting arrival of pipe) weight dry tops @ 12.45kg.
    C of G at present is nose heavy may have to move Turbine battery (awaiting pipe) for final balance.

    Have noticed however the main oleo's are almost bottomed out.

    Nosewheel is fine with spring resistance.

    I fly of grass fields (never flown on bitumen) and at present I believe there would be a lot of transfer of bumps etc through to the airframe. At a quick glance am unsure if the spring can be replaced in the oleo for a stronger one. Any others got a similar situation with springs on main oleo's????
    Kingtech 170G PST Reaction, Pink Panther Scheme PST Reaction, Kingtech 210G Jolly Roger Eurosport

  6. #81
    DrScoles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sammamish, WA,
    Posts
    1,347
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Just typed a huge reply and hit "reply thread" again arrghhhh. number 27, that is concerning about your gear, wonder if you got a bad batch or if thats the norm. I am planning on flying off a pretty rough grass field, so need to make sure there is enough support on those oleos! As far as the king tech lining up. I haven't fully mounted it yet, but it looks dead on when eye balling it.

    I got the second tank from Gary, it fits perfect. I think a larger width was possible, but its already at 50 oz, not sure I want more weight than that. Dimensions are 6 3/8x4.5x3. If you order one, make sure you talk to Gary about the fittings you want. He and I had a little communication breakdown, even though we were on the phone! LOL He gave me a larger fitting for the main line that the 6mm festo will fit. No biggie, just used larger yellow tygon. One of my buddies swears by plumbing with the larger tubing on the bigger turbines for less resistance.

    Really like the hardware the main tank came with. I used hysol on the two threaded fittings, almost sure it would leak without it. Soldered barbs everywhere and safety wired it. In hindsight, I wouldn't have minded being able to glue in the fittings on the tank. Its gonna look like an octopus once its all plumbed. However, I bet I'm in the minority and most modelers will appreciate having all the work done for them!

    The vent fittings Seba provides are nice as well, very low profile. He planned two vents for the main tank. Just like my buddy likes larger tubing, makes sense to have less resistance on the draw side. Love to hear comments on this from someone more educated on the subject. I use the dream works vent system for my overflow tank on my other jets, so I switched over to them. Mentioned this before, I love these forstner bits!!!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4112.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	728.7 KB 
ID:	1961881Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4105.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	1961882Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4104.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	764.3 KB 
ID:	1961883Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4110.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	615.3 KB 
ID:	1961884Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4109.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	1961885Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4108.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	465.2 KB 
ID:	1961886Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4114.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	713.3 KB 
ID:	1961887Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4107.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	459.8 KB 
ID:	1961888Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4113.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	584.4 KB 
ID:	1961889Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4106.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	587.0 KB 
ID:	1961890

  7. #82

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Herveybay, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    153
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Just putting mine together at the moment .
    Tested the retract springs in the legs , yes mine are very very soft .
    I would think mine will have very little travel when the jet is on the ground full with fuel .
    With little travel and bottoming out on grass fields I have seen retract mounts break out of wings .

  8. #83

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Perth, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    65
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by number27 View Post
    Finalizing build and with K170G fitted (awaiting arrival of pipe) weight dry tops @ 12.45kg.
    C of G at present is nose heavy may have to move Turbine battery (awaiting pipe) for final balance.

    Have noticed however the main oleo's are almost bottomed out.

    Nosewheel is fine with spring resistance.

    I fly of grass fields (never flown on bitumen) and at present I believe there would be a lot of transfer of bumps etc through to the airframe. At a quick glance am unsure if the spring can be replaced in the oleo for a stronger one. Any others got a similar situation with springs on main oleo's????
    Mine was the same. Just cut a length of Tygon tube a little shorter than the spring and install it inside, works like a rubber bump stop.
    Mine is 12.7kg dry with a 140RX

    BR, Gregg

  9. #84
    number27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Queensland, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    248
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Nice tip on the retract spring.

    Will try that but I am going to investigate some alternate springs if possible at local bolt and spring store.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1701.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	1962576   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1702.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	1962578   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1703.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	1962579   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1704.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	1962580   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1706.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	1962581  

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1707.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	1962582  
    Kingtech 170G PST Reaction, Pink Panther Scheme PST Reaction, Kingtech 210G Jolly Roger Eurosport

  10. #85
    Zeeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Highland Utah UT
    Posts
    3,829
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by DrScoles View Post
    Just typed a huge reply and hit "reply thread" again arrghhhh. number 27, that is concerning about your gear, wonder if you got a bad batch or if thats the norm. I am planning on flying off a pretty rough grass field, so need to make sure there is enough support on those oleos! As far as the king tech lining up. I haven't fully mounted it yet, but it looks dead on when eye balling it.

    I got the second tank from Gary, it fits perfect. I think a larger width was possible, but its already at 50 oz, not sure I want more weight than that. Dimensions are 6 3/8x4.5x3. If you order one, make sure you talk to Gary about the fittings you want. He and I had a little communication breakdown, even though we were on the phone! LOL He gave me a larger fitting for the main line that the 6mm festo will fit. No biggie, just used larger yellow tygon. One of my buddies swears by plumbing with the larger tubing on the bigger turbines for less resistance.

    Really like the hardware the main tank came with. I used hysol on the two threaded fittings, almost sure it would leak without it. Soldered barbs everywhere and safety wired it. In hindsight, I wouldn't have minded being able to glue in the fittings on the tank. Its gonna look like an octopus once its all plumbed. However, I bet I'm in the minority and most modelers will appreciate having all the work done for them!

    The vent fittings Seba provides are nice as well, very low profile. He planned two vents for the main tank. Just like my buddy likes larger tubing, makes sense to have less resistance on the draw side. Love to hear comments on this from someone more educated on the subject. I use the dream works vent system for my overflow tank on my other jets, so I switched over to them. Mentioned this before, I love these forstner bits!!!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4112.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	728.7 KB 
ID:	1961881Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4105.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	1961882Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4104.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	764.3 KB 
ID:	1961883Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4110.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	615.3 KB 
ID:	1961884Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4109.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	1961885Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4108.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	465.2 KB 
ID:	1961886Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4114.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	713.3 KB 
ID:	1961887Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4107.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	459.8 KB 
ID:	1961888Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4113.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	584.4 KB 
ID:	1961889Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4106.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	587.0 KB 
ID:	1961890
    Thanks for the pics and the work on the extra tank Mike. I've got one coming for mine from Jet Tech as well.

    My engine saga continues..... Oli sent me an e-mail on Saturday night saying they (Ultimate Jets) had the 180s "in stock" and would I still like one?

    Being the doubing "Thomas" I've become since playing with this turbine stuff started, I elected to wait and call Houston (where Ulitmate is located) this morning to see if the engines were in fact at the Houston store? Nope.... "It's in Germany"... note that I said "It's" not "they"......

    Called Mr. Redman and he's not seen any 180's, no shipping notices and in fact JetCat Germany won't answer his e-mails.

    So I call Ultimate back; "are you guys going to ship the "engines" to Houston or what? If you get 'em in your hands before the JetCat's show up, I'll buy the beastie. Answer; no there's only one engine and someone in the Emirates want's it, so since you've been waiting we're offering it to you and if you don't take it, it'll go somewhere in the mid-East..... How long to get it here I ask? 4 to 5 business days is the reply, so I bought the Behotec. Whether or not it's going to show up in Southern California the first part of next week is anybody's guess IMHO, but we'll see....

    I don't know about you guys, but I'm having a TON of fun and I'm not even the one assembling mine.... UGH! lol
    Zeeb

  11. #86

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Surrey, BC, CANADA
    Posts
    418
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Mine is in shop beside the raven I'm building for a customer an incentive to get it done so I can start mine. Good thread and pics so far. Kinda nice to order a jet and get it in the same week or so not 6 mos. and oh I need all yer doh now. Sebart are great peeps to deal with.
    if ya aint burnin well?

    KEV-O

  12. #87
    PaulD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    CoquitlamBC, CANADA
    Posts
    1,312
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
    Thanks for the pics and the work on the extra tank Mike. I've got one coming for mine from Jet Tech as well.

    My engine saga continues..... Oli sent me an e-mail on Saturday night saying they (Ultimate Jets) had the 180s "in stock" and would I still like one?

    Being the doubing "Thomas" I've become since playing with this turbine stuff started, I elected to wait and call Houston (where Ulitmate is located) this morning to see if the engines were in fact at the Houston store? Nope.... "It's in Germany"... note that I said "It's" not "they"......

    Called Mr. Redman and he's not seen any 180's, no shipping notices and in fact JetCat Germany won't answer his e-mails.

    So I call Ultimate back; "are you guys going to ship the "engines" to Houston or what? If you get 'em in your hands before the JetCat's show up, I'll buy the beastie. Answer; no there's only one engine and someone in the Emirates want's it, so since you've been waiting we're offering it to you and if you don't take it, it'll go somewhere in the mid-East..... How long to get it here I ask? 4 to 5 business days is the reply, so I bought the Behotec. Whether or not it's going to show up in Southern California the first part of next week is anybody's guess IMHO, but we'll see....

    I don't know about you guys, but I'm having a TON of fun and I'm not even the one assembling mine.... UGH! lol
    get ahold of Vogelsang. They should have Hammer 180's in stock. I have a 170 and its strong. Awesome engines with great support.

    PaulD
    If it\'\'s too LOUD - You\'\'re too OLD

    Www.wircsrc.com
    MAAC Jet Committee

  13. #88
    number27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Queensland, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    248
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Which end of the springs do you place the tygon the yellow or red spring end please?
    Kingtech 170G PST Reaction, Pink Panther Scheme PST Reaction, Kingtech 210G Jolly Roger Eurosport

  14. #89

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Perth, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    65
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by number27 View Post
    Which end of the springs do you place the tygon the yellow or red spring end please?
    I used 5mm diameter Tygon and it's around 14mm long. If you want it firmer go to say 18mm.


    Gregg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (35).JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	616.4 KB 
ID:	1962805  

  15. #90

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Perth, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    65
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Oh, the yellow end because that is the softer spring

  16. #91

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Perth, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    65
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    BTW I would spend some time and make sure the main gear blocks are well glued. It looks to me that they use a thermo setting (hot glue) at the factory. Definately would want to get some epoxy into the wing gear area...

  17. #92
    Zeeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Highland Utah UT
    Posts
    3,829
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
    get ahold of Vogelsang. They should have Hammer 180's in stock. I have a 170 and its strong. Awesome engines with great support.

    PaulD
    Ummm..... Thanks for the thought but I won't go there. Already had my experience with Gotz and Thomas over a Tomahawk 2.0 ViperJet. Turbo was great on gettting me the 140+ for the model but I dread the day it might have to go for service, I think I'd just send it back to Germany.....
    Zeeb

  18. #93
    DrScoles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sammamish, WA,
    Posts
    1,347
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Gary, KING TECH! You will save $1000, and you'll have it by Friday. The manual is very good, and I've seen time and time again on RCU how good the customer service is! Its cool that Barry is part of things here on RCU. He called me to verify my shipping address and congratulated me on our new baby… nice touch for sure.

    Speaking of baby, three week old and potty training a three year old is kicking my behind lately. Not a tremendous amount of progress. I have photo documented what I have done, I'll wait to get a little more this weekend and post.

  19. #94
    number27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Queensland, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    248
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Have sourced some better springs via my good friend Ian and these appear the bees knees. Did have the tygon in and it was a good alternative as well.

    110mm AB ring from Xicoy and Jet Products Australia (Phil) along with his pipe.

    build is moving along. Installation of pipe and final fitout this weekend and should maiden next weekend all being well.

    Weather bad this weekend imminent fallout from cyclone up north
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1714.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	1963529   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1716.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	1963530  
    Last edited by number27; 01-30-2014 at 05:23 AM.
    Kingtech 170G PST Reaction, Pink Panther Scheme PST Reaction, Kingtech 210G Jolly Roger Eurosport

  20. #95

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Surrey, BC, CANADA
    Posts
    418
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    For those of you concerned with stock tank size I happened to have a carf tutor/hawk tank I believe 4.2 Ltrs and it fits quite well.

    Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	682.5 KB 
ID:	1963800  
    if ya aint burnin well?

    KEV-O

  21. #96
    number27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Queensland, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    248
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Almost there. Home made fuel tank holds 5 litres for the big thirsty Kingtech 170G.

    C of G just in front of 250mm. Keeping it slightly nose heavy for first flights and see how it handles.

    Still unhappy with main Oleo springs. Either too soft or with tygon too hard and little movement. New springs sourced still not suitable.

    Modelflight in Australia not contacted as yet which is the distributor in Australia.

    If any other solutions out there would be interested.

    Expect to maiden next weekend weather dependent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1729.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	1964871   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1727.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	1964872   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1726.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	2.65 MB 
ID:	1964873   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1730.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	1964874   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1731.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	1964875  

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1732.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	1964876   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1733.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	1964877  
    Kingtech 170G PST Reaction, Pink Panther Scheme PST Reaction, Kingtech 210G Jolly Roger Eurosport

  22. #97

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Perth, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    186
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Have seen Two Avantis have gear mount issues both dropped in from about a foot most planes should be able to withstand it but not the Avanti. In my opinion the undercarriage attach points are too light.

  23. #98
    number27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Queensland, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    248
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The springs too soft and allow no bounce or the undercarriage punches through the wings?????
    Kingtech 170G PST Reaction, Pink Panther Scheme PST Reaction, Kingtech 210G Jolly Roger Eurosport

  24. #99

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Perth, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    186
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The mounts actually break out no punching through the wings and they seemed not to bottom out but they probably did.

  25. #100

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    PerthWestern Australia, AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    37
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Maidened my Avanti yesterday, two flights with the K180G until gear issues stopped play.
    First flight went well, until the landing circuit where I put on full flap. With the flaps down at 70 degrees, the Avanti stopped almost completely and required almost 3/4 down elevator and a lot of power to continue flying level. I touched down, however once on the ground it floated off and landed back on the mains, ripping out one of the gear blocks completely. First thing I noticed is there is very little glue on the gear blocks and what there is looks like hot glue. We did a field repair on the gear, gluing in the blocks with epoxy and got a second flight in, including some 3D with the VT pipe on. After this flight, fuelled up for a third flight and the gear ripped out again while taxiing on grass...
    That ended the day and I've now brought it home, ripped the gear blocks out the other wing (they pulled out easily enough) and glued both blocks in securely with Hysol.

    I am planning on a mid week flight with it and will report back again how this goes... As far as the 3D capability, our resident 3D guru had a go and was very impressed by the maneuverability with the VT on.


Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:15 PM.

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.