Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Sebart Avanti S Build Thread w/KT 180

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Sebart Avanti S Build Thread w/KT 180

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 04:31 AM
kev-o
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I flew about 5-5.5 mins each flight and had about 1/3 tank left when I landed. I think I could do 6.5 easily and still have some reserve. The dual tank only has 7 oz more. Keep it light and fly shorter flights but more of them
Old 06-23-2014, 04:58 AM
tucson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kev-o
I flew about 5-5.5 mins each flight and had about 1/3 tank left when I landed. I think I could do 6.5 easily and still have some reserve. The dual tank only has 7 oz more. Keep it light and fly shorter flights but more of them
I had it figured at 6-61/2 minutes with very little reserve. Glad you confirmed this. I am using a 20 oz tank for smoke. I still have a little more left on my radio install. The temps here in Tucson have been in the low 100's, so I have not been in a great hurry to finish it.

You have the snow we have the heat, which is better

Stan
Old 06-23-2014, 05:18 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Well mine's getting closer to coming home. My builder sent me this pic today....
Gary, So glad you tinted canopy!
Old 06-23-2014, 02:32 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Yeah it makes a lot of difference in the way the model presents. After seeing the change on yours I knew we had to do something with that awful blue stuff but we opted to tint a dark smoke color rather than paint it solid. It's about the same color as yours inside the fuselage as well; gray primer
Old 07-08-2014, 05:16 AM
tucson

Been very quiet on this thread lately.

Any news to report on recent flights, and how things are holding up.

Is everyone still happy?

I still Have not flown mine, almost there. The heat has not made my maiden a priority.

I heard a rumor that Sebart will not be coming out with a glass wing replacement. I hope it isn't true as I am looking forward to the new wings.

I guess the old saying "No news is good news" might be the reason No one has reported.

Kevin, DrScoles, you must have a ton of flights on your Avanti by now. How is it going?

Stan
Old 07-08-2014, 06:02 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Well no flight report, but I'm heading south today and picking up my Avanti from my builder tomorrow....
Old 07-08-2014, 06:45 AM
DrScoles

I have a six month old and a three year old that have been keeping me busy. I've only flown jets 2-3 times in the last six months. I think I'm gonna make it out this sunday. Avanti will get a beatdown and I have a new video cam to document it :-)
Old 07-08-2014, 08:06 AM
tucson

Originally Posted by DrScoles
I have a six month old and a three year old that have been keeping me busy. I've only flown jets 2-3 times in the last six months. I think I'm gonna make it out this sunday. Avanti will get a beatdown and I have a new video cam to document it :-)
Thanks DrScoles, that's understandable. We all have been there.

There are other people with Avanti's that have been flying theirs. I would love to hear what their opinions are.

Any tidbits of information that could help in the setup of control surfaces, and what to look for to prevent any problems.

Stan
Old 07-08-2014, 08:42 AM
Kevin_W

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tucson
Been very quiet on this thread lately.

Any news to report on recent flights, and how things are holding up.

Is everyone still happy?

I still Have not flown mine, almost there. The heat has not made my maiden a priority.

I heard a rumor that Sebart will not be coming out with a glass wing replacement. I hope it isn't true as I am looking forward to the new wings.

I guess the old saying "No news is good news" might be the reason No one has reported.

Kevin, DrScoles, you must have a ton of flights on your Avanti by now. How is it going?

Stan
I damaged mine about a month ago by getting it too slow on landing. I stalled it about 3 1/2 feet above the runway and it bounced and cartwheeled. Completely my own fault, but I am going to take some of the flap throw out of it to try to prevent myself from doing the same thing in the future.
The right wingtip, right main gear mount, and nose are damaged but repairable.
I have not had the time or motivation to start the repairs (long list of other things requiring my time instead), but once I do, I should be able to have it back together in about a week of evenings.
Yes, I am still very happy with it.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:20 AM
tucson

Originally Posted by Kevin_W
I damaged mine about a month ago by getting it too slow on landing. I stalled it about 3 1/2 feet above the runway and it bounced and cartwheeled. Completely my own fault, but I am going to take some of the flap throw out of it to try to prevent myself from doing the same thing in the future.
The right wingtip, right main gear mount, and nose are damaged but repairable.
I have not had the time or motivation to start the repairs (long list of other things requiring my time instead), but once I do, I should be able to have it back together in about a week of evenings.
Yes, I am still very happy with it.
Hi Kevin,

Sorry to hear about your damage. Unfortunately it happens to most of us. So you found that using the flaps recommended for landing could be a little much. Checking your previous post you made mention that the plane landed better with less flap and you were able to do a wheele.

Stan
Old 07-08-2014, 09:52 AM
Kevin_W

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tucson
Checking your previous post you made mention that the plane landed better with less flap and you were able to do a wheele.

Stan
I wish I had remembered that on the last flight.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:47 AM
number27

Same here have damaged mine by stalling on landing. Needs very little flap to land in my opinion or keep the throttle higher than idle and drive it in. Lovely flying model however. Awaiting Krill to bring out the composite wings when they are relaeased will purchase a pair and it will be flying again.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:21 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just asking, but have any of you chaps tried landing with full (80Deg) of flap reflexed ailerons and keeping the power above idle to bring it in.

Mike
Old 07-08-2014, 02:56 PM
tucson

Originally Posted by number27
Same here have damaged mine by stalling on landing. Needs very little flap to land in my opinion or keep the throttle higher than idle and drive it in. Lovely flying model however. Awaiting Krill to bring out the composite wings when they are relaeased will purchase a pair and it will be flying again.
I heard a rumor that the composite wings are not going to be made.

Maybe Jason can chime in and eliminate the rumor.

I hope it is just a rumor but I did hear it from a good source.

Stan
Old 07-08-2014, 04:10 PM
kev-o

I land mine with full flap and higher throttle setting no crow it doesn't need it. One thing I have noticed others and myself included we tend to get lazy on landings and let it float in and land. I'm now pouring the flaps and throttle to it and flying it in I drop throttle just as I come over the threshold. Mine with a 140rx needs over half throttle with full flap to keep it moving and not fast iether. Makes the landings much nicer and I put it down where I want it to go.
Im no expert on them but it's working for me. Follow Sebas settings and you will be fine.

Kevin
Old 07-08-2014, 04:44 PM
tucson

I land mine with full flap and higher throttle setting no crow it doesn't need it. One thing I have noticed others and myself included we tend to get lazy on landings and let it float in and land. I'm now pouring the flaps and throttle to it and flying it in I drop throttle just as I come over the threshold. Mine with a 140rx needs over half throttle with full flap to keep it moving and not fast iether. Makes the landings much nicer and I put it down where I want it to go.
Im no expert on them but it's working for me. Follow Sebas settings and you will be fine.

Kevin
Good info Kevin on the flaps and power settings for landing.

Any weak spots on the Avanti after flying it for a while.

How is the gear holding up after all your landings?

Stan
Old 07-08-2014, 05:34 PM
kev-o

My only gripe with it is the springs in the gear and once I come up with a fix I'll share it with Jason and all here. , the plane is phenomenal.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:05 PM
tucson

is it better then your Tutor?

We both fly Tutor's. I love mine.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:23 PM
kev-o

I hate to,say it but yes Stan it's better , much more versatile and less taxing on the he brain for flying. I wrecked my tutor over a year ago and am struggling with replacing it. It's a great airframe but at this stage of the game I'm just not sure I'm going to get another one.

Kevin
Old 07-08-2014, 06:43 PM
tucson

I hate to,say it but yes Stan it's better , much more versatile and less taxing on the he brain for flying. I wrecked my tutor over a year ago and am struggling with replacing it. It's a great airframe but at this stage of the game I'm just not sure I'm going to get another one.

Kevin
That's great to hear about your Avanti Kevin.

I had put a cortex 3 Axis gyro in my Tutor. Really makes a world of difference.

I am about to put one in my Avanti, should be here this week.

On your Avanti what did you use to sequence your nose gear door?

I am using a Jeti transmitter and having a hard time to figure out how to use the transmitter sequencer.

I am about ready touse a external sequencer.

Stan
Old 07-08-2014, 07:03 PM
kev-o

I use a dx18 and use the sequencing in it. It wasn't terrible to set up but I disconnected the door servo and plugged in another one to get the sequencing figured out. If I build another tutor it will get an igyro in it. Keep playing with the jeti I hear they are nice to work with ,just a bit a on the porky side.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:21 PM
DrScoles

Stan, do you have the ability to speed up or slow down the servos? In futaba, it's in the AFR menu. All you do is have the gear door open quickly, delay gear coming down. Then for up, have zero delay on gear, and some delay on door... Put both channels on same same switch. You don't need a mix or a condition, just alter the speed of the servos/valve.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:57 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kevin
What make you say it does not need crow, if it floats with flap then crow may stop that, they act as spoilers whilst giving wash out to the wing, surprising how well most jets will descend under control with flap and crow with no float, that's the problem with flaps only, the excessive float, as you have said above once beyond approx 45deg they tend to act as airbrakes and need throttle to keep the thing moving, the crow counteracts the excess throttle and brings the thing down, give it a try and see how well it works.

Mike
Old 07-08-2014, 09:20 PM
tucson

Originally Posted by DrScoles
Stan, do you have the ability to speed up or slow down the servos? In futaba, it's in the AFR menu. All you do is have the gear door open quickly, delay gear coming down. Then for up, have zero delay on gear, and some delay on door... Put both channels on same same switch. You don't need a mix or a condition, just alter the speed of the servos/valve.
I used to have that on my 12X. I used it on doors that moved in one direction either open or close. The Avanti has another step.
I will check out what you said, sounds good.

Thanks,

Stan
Old 07-08-2014, 09:32 PM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You have a valid point Mike. I tend to use crow on most of my jets with a standard wing design. It really locks in the plane and prevents the drunken bird wallow dance. I did find that crow on a swept wing ( ie F86 ) is not such a good idea!

I think guys are afraid to play with settings like flap / elevator, rudder / elevator mix in other words, the exotic mixes as they don't know what to expect.
I am currently working on my Avanti and will try crow and get back to you. I don't mind otherwise exercising the flying thumb.
BTW - Kevin is a good jet / pattern thumb - he flys his Avanti with one eye closed and sips tea with one hand while doing rolling circles...
He don't need no stinkin crow or Raven or whatever its called....:^)

All in fun....lol
Dean W.

Last edited by Helijet; 07-08-2014 at 09:34 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.