Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Sebart Avanti S Build Thread w/KT 180

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Sebart Avanti S Build Thread w/KT 180

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 12:28 AM
c_makhija

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like everyone has the same problem with landing the avanti, last weekend had 8 great flights with my rhino powered avanti, unfortunately on flight number 9 I was a bit high and got thrust to idle a bit early, that was a mistake. She kind of looses elevator authority if you slow her down just a bit. The wings are built light but fragile, and will not accept any abuse. The result was right gear ripped off the wing. Should be fixed in a couple of hours.

Chatty.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:05 AM
Jason W M
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Chatty,

Sorry to hear about the damage, and fortunately 'repairability' (especially when it comes to refinishing) tends to be a bit better with built-up versus composite wings. Also, it seems that Seba will land with less flap and less throttle when he prefers a more typical approach and roll out (with wheelies ), or more flap and more throttle (around half with the Jet Italia 250 turbine in the demo model he flew at Joe Nall) for shorter approaches/roll out. In either case though, like most other models, if you get too slow you'll lose lift and elevator authority as a result.

Hello Stan,

You'll have to let us know who your source is Our source is Seba and he still plans to offer composite wings and stabs The composite wings and stabs will be available as spare parts for the 2.1m version and that version will be available in the classic white/blue and yellow/black SebArt schemes (as well as other schemes). Also, we're still planning to offer combos including the composite wings and stabs at our cost to all customers that purchase 2.0m models from us. Timing and pricing details are still not finalized, but now that Seba has flown production samples of the 2.1m version we hope to know more in the next month or so.

Last edited by Jason W M; 07-09-2014 at 02:10 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:08 AM
number27

Please let us all know when the composite becomes available.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:15 AM
tucson
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by c_makhija
Looks like everyone has the same problem with landing the avanti, last weekend had 8 great flights with my rhino powered avanti, unfortunately on flight number 9 I was a bit high and got thrust to idle a bit early, that was a mistake. She kind of looses elevator authority if you slow her down just a bit. The wings are built light but fragile, and will not accept any abuse. The result was right gear ripped off the wing. Should be fixed in a couple of hours.

Chatty.
Hi Chatty,
Thank you for posting your experience. This is the type of info I am looking for. What all this has showed me is that based on what some of you have posted you have to be on top of full flap landings, or land with a little less flap. The good news is that everyone loves their Avanti.

Hi Jason,

Thanks for Chiming in about the composite wing and stabs. that's great news. I will send you a pm to take this off the thread.

Stan
Old 07-09-2014, 05:56 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dean, you forgot to mention that Kevin does all that while doing the splits! ;-)
Old 07-09-2014, 04:15 PM
tucson

Originally Posted by DrScoles
Stan, do you have the ability to speed up or slow down the servos? In futaba, it's in the AFR menu. All you do is have the gear door open quickly, delay gear coming down. Then for up, have zero delay on gear, and some delay on door... Put both channels on same same switch. You don't need a mix or a condition, just alter the speed of the servos/valve.
I am not quite understanding. The gear door is always closed after the gear cycles.
Gear door closed, gear down. Door opens, gear up, then the door closes again that is going to envolve a sequencer to close the door after gear cycles up.
For the down cycle... door opens gear down, door closes again. again you need a sequencer to close the door.

How did you do yours without using a sequencer?

Thanks,

Stan
Old 07-09-2014, 04:40 PM
kev-o

Originally Posted by BaldEagel
What make you say it does not need crow, if it floats with flap then crow may stop that, they act as spoilers whilst giving wash out to the wing, surprising how well most jets will descend under control with flap and crow with no float, that's the problem with flaps only, the excessive float, as you have said above once beyond approx 45deg they tend to act as airbrakes and need throttle to keep the thing moving, the crow counteracts the excess throttle and brings the thing down, give it a try and see how well it works.

Mike
I fly my élan with crow and a 120se for power with over 150 flights that way it floats and needs the crow. The avanti in my opinion and my configuration doesn't need crow , the extra flap I run allows it to slow up and descend nicely with power on when I want to land I dial out the power and flair. I would rather be in the power and flip the flap switch to go around than be out of it and maybe not be able to pull out and go around. Been there done that.

Back to to my tea
☕️
Old 07-10-2014, 06:37 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tucson
I am not quite understanding. The gear door is always closed after the gear cycles.
Gear door closed, gear down. Door opens, gear up, then the door closes again that is going to envolve a sequencer to close the door after gear cycles up.
For the down cycle... door opens gear down, door closes again. again you need a sequencer to close the door.

How did you do yours without using a sequencer?

Thanks,

Stan
Stan,

The sequencer really is the way to go and once you get used to it, it's really pretty simple. I think we discussed this a bit on the Jeti thread but if you let me know exactly what problem you are having, I'm sure I can help you figure it out pretty quickly. The sequencer really is a great feature and well worth the effort to figure out. I've got an Avanti waiting for me to build it so I'll be setting it up on my Jeti DS16. I'd be happy to do a quick basic setup and share the model memory if you think that would help.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:01 AM
tucson

Originally Posted by wfield0455
Stan,

The sequencer really is the way to go and once you get used to it, it's really pretty simple. I think we discussed this a bit on the Jeti thread but if you let me know exactly what problem you are having, I'm sure I can help you figure it out pretty quickly. The sequencer really is a great feature and well worth the effort to figure out. I've got an Avanti waiting for me to build it so I'll be setting it up on my Jeti DS16. I'd be happy to do a quick basic setup and share the model memory if you think that would help.
Hi Wayne,

I used your format that you sent me on the Jeti thread.

I got it working last night. Works great. A few tricky parts but you are right once you see how it works it is easy.

Let us know when you get into the build.

Thanks,

Stan
Old 07-10-2014, 07:11 AM
DrScoles

Stan, do you have to have the gear door close after the gear drops? I don't see the need. If you want that, then a sequencer might be necessary.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:24 AM
tucson

Stan, do you have to have the gear door close after the gear drops? I don't see the need. If you want that, then a sequencer might be necessary.
DrScoles, I prefer the closed door so a sequencer for me is necessary.

I did think about leaving it open at first, but decided against it.

Stan

Last edited by tucson; 07-10-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:38 AM
DrScoles

LOL, It never crossed my mind to have the gear door come up. I have five jets, none of them have the door cycle closed when the gear is down. I guess if it was a scale jet that did it in real life, it would be important.

Now you have me wondering if I can figure this out with the 18mz!
Old 07-10-2014, 07:57 AM
tucson

LOL, It never crossed my mind to have the gear door come up. I have five jets, none of them have the door cycle closed when the gear is down. I guess if it was a scale jet that did it in real life, it would be important.

Not that having the gear door closed on the ground is all that important, but every video I have seen of the Avanti not only Seba, had the door closed. To me the shape of the nose door down looks a little strange.

If your transmitter has a built in sequencer why not use it. All this is one big learning experience anyway

Stan
Old 07-10-2014, 08:27 AM
Kevin_W

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The nose door on my Avanti is only open when the gear is moving. I did it with mixes in my 18MZ (no sequencer). I found a .pdf with instructions on how to do it online (actually written for the 14MZ, but works fine for the 18MZ).

Attempting to attach it here, let's see if this works.
[ATTACH]2013096[/IMG]
Attached Files
Old 07-10-2014, 11:09 PM
ViperOneNL

Hi,

I have been quiet all this time, but reading and "stealing" the great ideas. The result is a black/yellow Avanti almost ready to maiden ..

JC 120sx inside, iGyro, powerbox, Jettronics sequencer, tamjets air failsave, dual rx, nothing really fancy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	2013336   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	2013337  

Last edited by ViperOneNL; 07-11-2014 at 09:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Aabo (05-27-2020)
Old 07-11-2014, 05:44 AM
DrScoles

Looks good to me. Let us know how the igyro works out.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:05 AM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Building one right now as well Mike. I have an iGyro in it too. Kevin just talked me into the big sister version. That arrives next week. Kingtech 210 powered with iGyro and vectored thrust just for grins and giggles.

Should be fun!

Dean W.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:43 AM
RCRice
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just for fun here's a video of my flight on 7-1. I own this Avanti with a partner and we've flown the piss out of it since we've had it (4 flights a day 3 times a week). The only problems we've had were the original landing gear, replaced with new stock struts and the Avanti fuel tank which after repairing 5 times I gave up on. I've ordered a new custom tank from Gary at Jet Tech which shipped yesterday. It will hold about 150oz. Will let you know how that works out. We've had some problems with gear retraction issues because the former owner had loose trunion bolts which allowed the beveled screws to oval out the mounts. Otherwise, GREAT airplane.

http://youtu.be/NIYzi-x2be8

Kingtech K-140. Afterburner 110mm w/Xicoy controller from Dreamworks.

Last edited by RCRice; 07-11-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:45 PM
c_makhija

Hello RCRICE,

Could you tell me what replacement gear you used? Planning to change the gear on mine too.

Thanks
Chatty.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:55 PM
c_makhija

Are the new set of springs available for the struts? Another reason I think why the gear comes off the wing with slightest of hard landings is the soft springs do not absorb landing loads, which eventually transfer to the L/G blocks.

Chatty.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:04 AM
Jason W M

Originally Posted by c_makhija
Hello RCRICE,

Could you tell me what replacement gear you used? Planning to change the gear on mine too.

Thanks
Chatty.
Hello Chatty,

We set up RCRice with a set of replacement stock struts. Unfortunately the original owner of his model severely damaged and attempted to repair (including repainting to hide the damage) the original stock struts after at least one very, very bad landing. To date we've never seen anyone damage struts as badly as that original owner did, and as others have reported here, the gear and the mounting blocks do hold up well even after some not-so-perfect landings (but of course they can come off/out of the wing on landings that are too hard overall).

Also, for anyone that may be interested, we now have 'separate' replacement/spare parts for the landing gear in stock and ready to ship (including pneumatics, struts, springs, wheels, brake parts, etc.). In the past the factory would only supply complete sets of replacement/spare parts (ie - one nose and two mains for pretty much everything), but we've worked with them to make it possible to offer individual struts, wheels, etc. And I don't think we can publish the replacement/spare part item list here unless someone requests it, but you can always contact us for more info if needed.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:17 AM
Jason W M

Originally Posted by RCRice
Just for fun here's a video of my flight on 7-1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIYzi-x2be8&feature=youtu.be Kingtech K-140. Afterburner 110mm w/Xicoy controller from Dreamworks.
Hello RCRice,

Nice video and thank you for sharing! Thank you also for the info on the Afterburner Lighting Ring (we've had a few guys ask us what would work for that)!
Old 07-12-2014, 12:02 PM
DrScoles

Why use diff gear? Mine is configured as heavy as it can be, rough grass field and pavement. No problems . I do think its important to reinforce the mounting blocks, but the gear seems pretty solid.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:20 PM
kev-o

We are trying 1/4" shims below the red spring to slightly preload the spring so the gear doesn't sag all the way. Chad flew today . Yes it shortens the travel slighltly but it allows the gear to absorb some and not completely squat down. Once I get a flight or two I'll let you know how it works. FYI it was helijets idea.

Kevin
Old 07-12-2014, 09:33 PM
c_makhija

Thanks Kevin, keep us posted.

Chatty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.