Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Sebart Avanti S Build Thread w/KT 180

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Sebart Avanti S Build Thread w/KT 180

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 11:36 PM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem I found stiffening up the main gear was, this has the effect of lengthening the main gear, causing a negative angle of attack. I put a short length of Tygon in each strut to make them stiffer & got a scare on my next takeoff. The jet just would not lift off the runway & it was nearly at the end of the runway before full up elevator caused it to leap up.
I quickly removed the Tygon.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:39 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Jim, have you had any problems since you removed the tygon? I put a small piece in also, no problems with take off though.... Leaving for the field in a few minutes, hope to get quite a few flights in today!
Old 07-13-2014, 05:42 AM
Jim Cattanach

Hi, No problems at all. I just did it because someone else suggested it.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:20 AM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Jim

Do you use take off flaps?

D.W.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:04 AM
Jim Cattanach

Hi D.W. I have tried with flaps & without. I didn't notice any difference, so I now do not use flap on takeoff.
I have recently fitted a Demon Cortex 3 axis gyro, which helps greatly on landing.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:35 AM
tucson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jim Cattanach
Hi D.W. I have tried with flaps & without. I didn't notice any difference, so I now do not use flap on takeoff.
I have recently fitted a Demon Cortex 3 axis gyro, which helps greatly on landing.
Hi Jim,

I am in the process of installing a cortex in my Avanti. I do have one in a pattern ship that I love.

What are you finding on your landings that the cortex is actually doing to help? How much gain are you using on yours?

Thanks,

Stan
Old 07-13-2014, 10:33 AM
Jim Cattanach

Hi Stan. I found that without the gyro, the Avanti tended to float, then fall quite quickly. The gyro smooths out the approach, keeps the wings steady & if there is a crosswind, you do not even notice it.
I use a JR 11x Tx & use aux2 for the gain. I disabled the heading lock. Aux2 is a three position switch. The way I have it set is, position one is the disabled heading lock, so shows red. Position 2 is also red(the normal off position) & position 3 is gyro on.
I set the ATV on the switch at 35, then with this screen on, I took off & kept dialing the gain up till the surfaces started to waggle, then dialed it down a few clicks. When I landed, I checked the setting & it showed 115.
There is a good thread here on the Demon Cortex.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...on+cortex+gyro
Old 07-13-2014, 01:44 PM
tucson

Originally Posted by Jim Cattanach
Hi Stan. I found that without the gyro, the Avanti tended to float, then fall quite quickly. The gyro smooths out the approach, keeps the wings steady & if there is a crosswind, you do not even notice it.
I use a JR 11x Tx & use aux2 for the gain. I disabled the heading lock. Aux2 is a three position switch. The way I have it set is, position one is the disabled heading lock, so shows red. Position 2 is also red(the normal off position) & position 3 is gyro on.
I set the ATV on the switch at 35, then with this screen on, I took off & kept dialing the gain up till the surfaces started to waggle, then dialed it down a few clicks. When I landed, I checked the setting & it showed 115.
There is a good thread here on the Demon Cortex.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...on+cortex+gyro
I am using a Jeti transmitter so the gain setup is different from your JR. I changed my hold position through my pc so that now I have two normal positions. One for normal flying and the other for landing. the third position of the switch is off. Gain set at 20 for normal flying and 40 for landing. Of course these will change once I fly and see what it actually needs.

I am looking forward to improved approaches and landings.

Thanks for your input.

Stan
Old 07-13-2014, 11:39 PM
RCRice
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just had these stands custom made for my Avanti. They fit perfectly and replace the foam one that comes with the airplane. Walter Hess, of Hess Woodworking in Burbank, CA is an avid RC pilot and loves to make custom stands for the locals here at Apollo XI in the LA Basin. I don't want to sound like an advertisement but these are really nice and really a bargain. If you're interested I can pass along his contact info.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Avanti_Custom_Stand_1.jpg
Views:	2026
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	2013935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Avanti_Custom_Stand_2.jpg
Views:	1931
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2013936  
Old 07-15-2014, 05:25 AM
can773

Cool picture of the Avanti my friend got with my Phantom at the field the other day!

Name:	jet from air.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	720.8 KB
ID:	2014360  
Old 07-15-2014, 05:32 AM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That is an awesome picture!

d.w.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:24 AM
DrScoles

Cool pic! Great flying site.

So I need to eat my words a little… The springs in my main gear are shot. Two flights on Sunday, perfect landings, trailing links mush down so far that it pinched the brake lines. Put it on the stand, half the travel can be done with near zero effort. Need to beef them up.

Does any manufacturer make a small gas piston? The r/c car crowd? That would be sweet.

Still get a big smile on my face doing the flat spins with smoke… effortless and just soooo cool! Need to video tape next time out. I was turning vectored thrust off before exiting the tricks, mistake. Leave it on, pop opposite rudder and its back to straight flight.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:36 AM
tucson

Here is a question for everyone flying their Avanti.

I am now setting up all my throws. In the past in all my jets I have used crow with great success. The Avanti uses a lot of flap for landing

Is it really necessary to use crow with all the flap used for landing?

Thanks,

Stan
Old 07-17-2014, 08:40 AM
RCRice

I use crow on my Jet Legend Viper and I must to slow it down. You don't need it on the Avanti at all with full flaps. At least that's my experience.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:19 PM
tucson

Originally Posted by RCRice
I use crow on my Jet Legend Viper and I must to slow it down. You don't need it on the Avanti at all with full flaps. At least that's my experience.
Thanks for sharing your experience with the flaps vs crow. I might have to leave the crow off, as a matter of fact I think I will. I can always add it back at a latter date.

Thanks for the info on the stand. Looks like a good way to transport the model in my van.

Stan
Old 07-17-2014, 03:30 PM
RCRice

Avanti Custom stand is $50. Contact Walter Hess (818) 563-3388 at Hess Woodworking.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:48 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On the flaps vs reflexed ailerons, it all accords what is trying to be achieved, flaps up to about 45 degs will enable the aircraft to float i.e. under cambered wing section producing more lift at slow speed, beyond 45 degs flaps turn into air brakes and add drag as well as a small amount of extra lift, by reflexing the ailerons as well this kills lift over the length of the ailerons and will increase the sink rate of the airframe, therefore allowing shorter landings, it will also provide an amount of wash out to the wing tips and help prevent premature wing tip stalling.

Mike
Old 07-27-2014, 09:09 PM
tucson

Finally finished,

All that is left is to check CG and purge fuel system.

Stan

Name:	IMG_20140727_211308_881.jpg
Views:	977
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	2017907   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140727_211334_199.jpg
Views:	952
Size:	929.8 KB
ID:	2017908   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140727_211425_850.jpg
Views:	955
Size:	862.4 KB
ID:	2017909  
Old 07-28-2014, 05:21 AM
DrScoles

Cool Stan. I got two more flights on mine last Sunday. So much fun to do 3D stuff with a jet. I was doing really tight tumbles, about 5 in a row, one of our club members who is a retired airline pilot, couldn't understand why the turbine wasn't flaming out. ;-) Did some high alpha stuff too, it was a windy day, it looked like it was parked up there.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:58 AM
tucson

Hi DrScoles,

Sounds like your weather is cooperating.

I was out to our field this morning with a pattern plane at 7am. I left at 10am. High 90's and humid and the fly's are back.

Awaiting the change in temps to arrive.

Sounds like you are really able to land yours slow with your setup.

Stan
Old 07-28-2014, 04:20 PM
kev-o

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your gonna love it Stan , I'm heading out wed night with mine to get some more practice in before an airshow I'm flying at.

Smoke on!
Old 07-28-2014, 06:42 PM
tucson

Originally Posted by kev-o
Your gonna love it Stan , I'm heading out wed night with mine to get some more practice in before an airshow I'm flying at.

Smoke on!
Lucky guy Kevin, Have fun and watch those rolling circles

Stan
Old 07-30-2014, 11:52 AM
RLPageMD
My Feedback: (3)

I am looking at the Avanti to replace my Elan. I know that the JetCat 100 is the minimal size turbine recommended. I have a P90RXi that puts out about a pound more thrust than the 100. I realize it won't be a speed demon, but at this stage, I'm not really looking for all out speed. Anybody have any opinions on this set-up? Will the composite wings be worth waiting for? Lighter? Making the P90 a good choice? Thanks, Rick
Old 07-30-2014, 03:06 PM
kev-o

This airframe comes in about the same weight as a modest equipped élan , IMO the composite wings won't be lighter , and I still have no issues with the built up ones. They work fine. Make sure you get the small exhaust tube for it and you should be fine. Don't overbuild it and pack on the weight.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:55 PM
Jason W M
My Feedback: (6)

Originally Posted by RLPageMD
I am looking at the Avanti to replace my Elan. I know that the JetCat 100 is the minimal size turbine recommended. I have a P90RXi that puts out about a pound more thrust than the 100. I realize it won't be a speed demon, but at this stage, I'm not really looking for all out speed. Anybody have any opinions on this set-up? Will the composite wings be worth waiting for? Lighter? Making the P90 a good choice? Thanks, Rick
Hello Rick,

We have quite a few customers flying Avanti S 2m models with P100s and K-100s. And Seba has noted that a very large percentage of the ones flying in Europe have 100s in them as well. It's definitely not a speed demon with an ~22 pound thrust turbine, but a lot of people are happy with the overall performance, relatively long flight times with not so much fuel (the stock 100 ounce tank we include should be good for you) and the lighter wing loading.

Also, the composite wings will actually be heavier as they're a bit 'longer' in span overall. That said we still plan to offer them at our cost to anyone that buys a model with built-up wings and decides to switch to composite later on (which should cost about the same as buying the all-composite version at ~$1500 more when it's released late this year...but you'll end up with two sets of wings for the price of one!).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.