Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Sebart Avanti S Build Thread w/KT 180

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Sebart Avanti S Build Thread w/KT 180

Old 08-01-2014, 12:54 PM
tucson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally got to start my 140rx today. No problems.

I am balanced at the 250mm point., I had to add 8 oz's to the nose which I don't have a problem with. I kept my ecu battery in the cockpit area.

With the main tank empty the airplane will sit and stay on it's tail if I put it there. Otherwise it will stay on the nose gear.

Is this what others have found with their Avanti's?

Thanks,

Stan
Old 08-01-2014, 01:13 PM
kev-o

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep that sounds about right , i put my edu up in the nose and had to add no lead at all, using the stock a123 from jet cat , it rocks you are gonna love this plane Stan

Kevin
Old 08-01-2014, 01:21 PM
tucson

Originally Posted by kev-o
yep that sounds about right , i put my edu up in the nose and had to add no lead at all, using the stock a123 from jet cat , it rocks you are gonna love this plane Stan

Kevin
Thanks Kevin,

I am waiting for a break in the weather Hopefully soon.

Stan
Old 08-01-2014, 03:35 PM
tucson

Kevin,

I forgot to ask. My brakes really lock up when I activate them. Have you or anyone put any Vaseline or light grease on the brakes to prevent them from locking up? Or do they loosen up with use?

Stan
Old 08-01-2014, 03:43 PM
kev-o

Light grease on oring behind brake pad. I'm flying off grass so far and haven't noticed an issue yet. I've been working on some ideas for the main gear springs , and discussing with Jason he will release details

Kevin
Old 08-08-2014, 01:36 PM
tucson

Well today I had my maiden on my Avanti.

It went very well, needed no aileron trim in all flap modes. Elevator need 1 click of down in approach flaps and two clicks of down in landing flaps, this was in addition to the down elevator to flaps recommended in the manual.

Landing with full flaps was not a problem at all.

I had lightly greased the brake disks but the brakes still lock up. As a result I am seeing the start of tire wear from the hard surface runway I fly off of.

One problem that has me concerned is my main landing gear. Even with 100lbs of pressure both main gears have a lot of slop side to side.

Has anyone seen this problem with their landing gear and if so what if anything did you do to correct it.

I have several Jets which I fly and none have the amount of slop I am seeing. It has my attention.

Like everyone before, I found my Avanti really nice to fly. Slow speed sharp turns were solid. Approach was solid with a small cross wind.

When I get some more flights under my belt I will give another report.

Stan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-6_edited.jpg
Views:	1112
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	2020920  
Old 08-08-2014, 09:02 PM
tucson

"One problem that has me concerned is my main landing gear. Even with 100lbs of pressure both main gears have a lot of slop side to side.

Has anyone seen this problem with their landing gear and if so what if anything did you do to correct it."

I pulled both main gears out of the wing to check for the slop.

I found all the screws on the retract were loose. Tightened them up and no more slop.

That was an Easy fix. Looking forward to getting back in the air again. Great flying airplane!

Stan
Old 08-10-2014, 10:48 PM
RCRice
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've had a lot of problems with my landing gear. First is the springs. I've added tygon tubing twice. The stock springs keep compressing.
The retracts were not working well. I had to jerk up on the elevator after putting down the landing gear to get it down. One gear occasionally hung and wouldn't go up unless you turn the plane over and retract the gear while inverted. I eventually replaced the gear actuators because the trunion axle was not secure. The beveled side mounting plate had become oval shaped.. I think the previous owner had not done maintenance on the gear and tightened the screws. On my new ones I took them apart and used Loctite on them. However, they were still loosening up until I used the "Red" Loctite on them the second time. I'm always checking them for looseness now to prevent the damage to the side mounting plates.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:36 AM
Jason W M
My Feedback: (6)

Hello everyone,

As noted before, RCRice's landing gear problems were primarily due to the previous owner of his model severely damaging numerous parts of the gear after at least one very bad landing (they even repaired and tried to hide the damage with paint). To date we've never seen anyone damage struts and other parts of the gear as badly as that original owner did, and please also note that we've worked hard to ensure RCRice has gotten all the spare parts he needs to repair the damaged gear so they're working well now. Best of all we now have plenty of 'separate' spare parts for the landing gear (including pneumatics, struts, wheels, brake parts, etc.) in stock and ready to ship!

Also, one of the reasons the landing gear are not factory-installed is so you can check the assembly and security of the screws before installing them. And as myself and many other Avanti owners have done, we added Loctite to some and retightened all of the screws before installing the gear. This is common practice for myself and others when putting airplanes, helis, etc. together that include any factory-installed screws, but it sounds like we may need to start including an addendum in with each airplane we ship to ensure everyone does the same.

And after continued research we've found that not all of the springs have problems (it appears there's been an inconsistency in the springs for models that were produced in the latter part of last year and early this year). However, for those that have run into any problems KEV-O has helped us find some alternative springs and spacers that will definitely work better overall. We're in the process of working to obtain a suitable quantity of those springs and spacers now so we can send them (at no charge of course!) to anyone that has purchased an Avanti S 2.0m/79" model from us. That said the manufacturer that has the springs we need is in Germany and they're on 'holiday' until the 20th so it may be a few more weeks until we have the springs to send out (but in the meantime we'll try to find even a limited quantity from their dealers in North America if we can).
Old 08-11-2014, 04:26 AM
tucson

Originally Posted by Jason W M
Hello everyone,

As noted before, RCRice's landing gear problems were primarily due to the previous owner of his model severely damaging numerous parts of the gear after at least one very bad landing (they even repaired and tried to hide the damage with paint). To date we've never seen anyone damage struts and other parts of the gear as badly as that original owner did, and please also note that we've worked hard to ensure RCRice has gotten all the spare parts he needs to repair the damaged gear so they're working well now. Best of all we now have plenty of 'separate' spare parts for the landing gear (including pneumatics, struts, wheels, brake parts, etc.) in stock and ready to ship!

Also, one of the reasons the landing gear are not factory-installed is so you can check the assembly and security of the screws before installing them. And as myself and many other Avanti owners have done, we added Loctite to some and retightened all of the screws before installing the gear. This is common practice for myself and others when putting airplanes, helis, etc. together that include any factory-installed screws, but it sounds like we may need to start including an addendum in with each airplane we ship to ensure everyone does the same.

And after continued research we've found that not all of the springs have problems (it appears there's been an inconsistency in the springs for models that were produced in the latter part of last year and early this year). However, for those that have run into any problems KEV-O has helped us find some alternative springs and spacers that will definitely work better overall. We're in the process of working to obtain a suitable quantity of those springs and spacers now so we can send them (at no charge of course!) to anyone that has purchased an Avanti S 2.0m/79" model from us. That said the manufacturer that has the springs we need is in Germany and they're on 'holiday' until the 20th so it may be a few more weeks until we have the springs to send out (but in the meantime we'll try to find even a limited quantity from their dealers in North America if we can).
Hi Jason,

Very nice of you to supply owners of Avanti's with new springs and spacers free of charge. Shows you really care about your customers and are standing behind them.

I did use loctite On my gear screws after I found them becoming loose.Good idea to let new owners know about that. My gear when I checked it originally did have all the screws tight.

You have a winner in the Avanti. I love it.

Stan
Old 08-11-2014, 09:10 AM
SMBJets

Jason, that's great to see you providing the springs to all owners of the Avanti S.

Any idea if OMP in Australia will be doing the same thing? I know several people who have had the same issues here, would be great to get the better springs instead of playing with tygon/tubing/spacers.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:37 AM
ViperOneNL

Jason,

Can you provide manufacturer, part numbers and spacer sizes for the replacement springs? This for the less fortunate outside of USA.

Cheers,

Mick

Last edited by ViperOneNL; 08-11-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:46 AM
c_makhija

Hello Jason, I too would need a set of springs. Please let us know when in stock.

Regards
Chatty.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:59 PM
number27

Jason,
Are the composite wings still being made for SEBA's Avanti??? Krill still havent released their Sport Jet yet. Any clues to possible month of release????
Old 08-13-2014, 06:53 AM
c_makhija

Originally Posted by number27
Jason,
Are the composite wings still being made for SEBA's Avanti??? Krill still havent released their Sport Jet yet. Any clues to possible month of release????
Received a mail from Seba, the first all composite avantis should be coming soon, and orders will be taken for composite wings and tail plane at jetpower next month.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:23 AM
kasi122

Hi guys,

All over the world ;-) i read and hear, that people have problems with the gear mechanics, because they dont retract fully even with 10 bar of pressure.
So i and my model buddy decided to make an electric retract for the avanti.!! :-) It is ready now and we make the final test with our two avantis, but it looks very good at the moment.
The only thing you have to do is to dismount your struts and mount it on the electric retracts. The retract is designed to fit without any changes in the wings :-)
The retracts will be available with the controller ready to use. The only thing is that you need to use your air brake, because electric brakes are not available at the moment

best regards
Andreas
Old 08-14-2014, 05:39 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone is having problems with the retract unit, its the strut and figuring out the proper spring tension.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:49 AM
kasi122

Hi Dr.Scoles,

I have seen a serveral AvantiS, where the retracts didnt close ecaxt and they all made "Rectract rolls" :-) to finally completely retract the gear.
But if it isnt a problem at all -> it is fine at the end, that an electric retract is available now which is fully compatible to the air retract. :-)
The struts are very nice and very good quality and i think (or hope ;-) ) with the electric retracts this could be a good combination

best regards
Andreas

Last edited by kasi122; 08-14-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:20 AM
number27

Electron ER40's with electric brakes are a fit into the Avanti S jet. The nosewheel depends on setup up needs some work to make in functional.

My best flying buddy had them on his Avanti S prior to selling it to get the Avant XXL
Old 08-17-2014, 04:50 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

This jet is on my short list for my next project. The big plan is to power it with the new Cheeta SP #34 thrust. Whats the best pipe, the 120-140 size or the 180 size. No VT, just a good sport jet. Also can you get it without the gear, was thinking of electrons. Thanks guys.

Last edited by tp777fo; 08-17-2014 at 05:27 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:08 AM
kasi122

Default gear for AvantiS

Hi,

Off course you can buy the Avanti without gear.(but then you dont get the struts also !!). It is better to buy the avanti wiht the complete gear and resell the "mechanic" and take the struts
with an electric gear.
Here you can see photos and a small video of the gear we designed for the avantiS.
Just put it into the wing and the fueselage without changing anything
The gear will work with the landing gear controller from Xicoy (spain)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZNU2YeuLjg

best regards
Andi
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fahrwerbild1.jpg
Views:	1383
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	2022953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fahwerkbild2.jpg
Views:	1187
Size:	2.73 MB
ID:	2022954  

Last edited by kasi122; 08-17-2014 at 06:16 AM.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:52 AM
number27

My opinion of the landing gear on the Avanti S Jet is it only weakpoint. The screws in the retract unit do come loose even with RED loctite and need to be re tightened on occasions (mainly the mains). The main oleo's in my opinion are not up to the task. Have fitted alternate OLEO's from Xicoy on the mains and now they have give and take in suspension. The nose OLEO is good. I am waiting for the composite wings to become available along with stabs as mine has come to grief on a stalled landing attempt. If I had to purchase a new kit I would try to get it without landing gear and go ER40's and Oleo's from Xicoy with Intairco electric brakes and wheels.

It's a Sports Jet, it wants or needs trailing link landing gear not some scale looking Hawk gear for those of us who fly off rough grass strips.

I have had a 140 and a 170 in mine and both fly well. Even with a 140 I believe a vectored pipe would be good. Your hover and verticals however wouldnt be as good with a 180 or 170.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:56 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Andi, do you have new trailing link struts to go with the electric gear? If someone is going to get new retract units, it would be nice to get more robust trailing links as well for the mains.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:03 AM
kasi122

Hi Dr.Scoles,

I am sorry, but the electric retracts are only made to upgrade from air to electric. I dont have "sport" or new struts for the gear, sorry
Old 08-17-2014, 07:37 AM
number27

http://www.xicoy.com/catalog/product...roducts_id=310

from memory 178mm is the leg size with 8mm pins

I'm sure int he USA there would be a local supplier of some sort.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.