Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Sebart Avanti S Build Thread w/KT 180

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Sebart Avanti S Build Thread w/KT 180

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 05:52 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A demon cortex would do the thrust tube and nose wheel and have two ports to spare. Depends if you think you want it on all flight surfaces. For 3D stuff, having a gyro on the elevator and ailerons isn't gonna do a lot. You are doing the tumbles and flat spins at such a slow speed, you are relying on the TV. My opinion, do without it for now and see how it goes. I fly mine without it and its fun and challenging to make it do tricks. If you want to hover it five feet off the ground, put the gyro in :-)
Old 11-06-2014, 06:40 AM
hbutler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Do u always have TV enabled? Or do u only use TV for extreme rates?

Originally Posted by DrScoles
A demon cortex would do the thrust tube and nose wheel and have two ports to spare. Depends if you think you want it on all flight surfaces. For 3D stuff, having a gyro on the elevator and ailerons isn't gonna do a lot. You are doing the tumbles and flat spins at such a slow speed, you are relying on the TV. My opinion, do without it for now and see how it goes. I fly mine without it and its fun and challenging to make it do tricks. If you want to hover it five feet off the ground, put the gyro in :-)
Old 11-08-2014, 09:39 AM
docgboy

If your only using the gyro on thrust vectoring it does not matter. You will only have gyro control of the servos connected to the thrust tube. No control surfaces will be connected to the gyro. Therefore if it is on all the time. It will be doing nothing to help or hurt normal flight. Remember that in a jet without airspeed the control surface are not effective. The do not help in a hover or flips and spirals. Connecting the control surfaces would only help to stabilize the plane during slow speed maneuvers and landing.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:02 AM
tucson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In watching the new Krill Avanti flying video I noticed that their composite wing is not using any fences. Has anyone else noticed this. Any comments?

Looks like the nose gear door is now split requiring two small servos for the doors.

Are they using a different manufactured landing gear or is it the same one that came with the Sebart kit?

Stan
Old 11-15-2014, 05:30 AM
F1 Rocket

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

I looked at the Krill after the loss of my Avanti S. The wing is a bit different, the finish is nice but not as nice as the fus on the Sebart version, and it seems pretty lightly built. The landing gear and pipe are exactly the components. I still may get one if I can get it without the gear.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:10 AM
tucson

Originally Posted by F1 Rocket
I looked at the Krill after the loss of my Avanti S. The wing is a bit different, the finish is nice but not as nice as the fus on the Sebart version, and it seems pretty lightly built. The landing gear and pipe are exactly the components. I still may get one if I can get it without the gear.
Hi Danny,

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I am really enjoying mine but am not happy with the Ultra coat covering. Jason said he will have composite wings to fit but we really do not know when Krill will get around to making them. So I to am thinking of getting a krill Avanti.

The landing gear has given me some problems, they are bottoming out and screws keep loosening up even after I use lock tight.

I spoke with Todd at Dreamworks the other day and he told me he will have a set of landing gear for the Avanti S very soon. So that is good news.

I did notice that the Krill wing does not have fences. I was wondering what their thinking was.

The cortex I have in mine really is nice. Are they thinking of adding a 6th channel?

Regards,

Stan
Old 11-15-2014, 09:47 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Umm.... just some of the feedback/rumors I've seen about the Krill version. Krill didn't want to build the same fuselage so it's changed. Krill didn't want to just copy the built up wings in composite so they are changed and will not fit the original Avanti. Krill is SUPPOSED to build composite wings to retrofit the original Avanti in matching colors/schemes. Since they are not the same as the new models, the colors are not the same nor are the schemes, new molds will be required.

While I'd like to have a set of the composite wings and have told Jason so, they were supposed to be available now according to the original information/agreement between Seba and Krill.

I'm not going to hold my breath as I cannot even get Jason to call me back about a new hatch (which got stepped on at BITW) for mine, think we'll get wings?????
Old 11-15-2014, 12:47 PM
Jason W M
My Feedback: (6)

Hello Zeeb,

Sorry for missing your call this week, and in the future please feel free to try calling again or emailing. Unfortunately I missed your call while at the hospital with my wife...her appendix was enlarged and they thought it might need to be removed ASAP.

Also, as we discussed at Best In The West, the rumors you're referencing aren't true. Seba and Krill have confirmed that the wings for the Avanti S FC (Full Composite) 2.1m/83" version do indeed fit the fuselage for the Avanti S 2.0m/79" model. Yes, the inlets on the Avanti S FC fuse are a different shape, but the wing/stab mounting areas are the same. And the reason we still don't have firm availability and pricing for the composite wing/stab sets is because Krill is backlogged with orders for complete Avanti S FC models and are not yet able to/interested in producing just the wing/stab sets. But they do control the molds, pricing and availability, so unfortunately we're a bit stuck while waiting for them to decide when they're ready. That said I'll remind Seba that we at least need pricing and an estimated timeframe for availability as he has a lot more pull with them than we do.

BTW, the shipment of Avanti S canopies, landing gear parts, etc. is currently stuck in customs but will be delivered later this coming week. That in mind we'll be able to get you a canopy ASAP after that shipment arrives at the warehouse (and the landing gear, etc. parts we're currently out of stock of for anyone else that might need some).

Hello everyone,

Regarding springs:

The springs a few of our team pilots and customers have been using when needed (typically for models that are 'fully loaded' with 180+ turbines, thrust vectoring, extra fuel, etc.) are from the original version of Behotec struts for the Comp ARF Tutor. All of these guys were able to find those springs in old sets of gear they or friends had as we've not be able to find readily available replacement spring sets. However I did talk with a Behotec distributor a few days ago and he's going to try working with the manufacturer directly to get us many sets of springs that we can send out to anyone that needs them. In the meantime we have spare sets of stock springs in stock and can send them to anyone that might need to try another set...some sets of stock springs do actually work better than others, especially for 100-140 set ups and some 180+ setups with 'straight' pipes and the stock fuel setups we offer.

Regarding Avanti S 2.0m/79" and Avanti S FC (Full Composite) 2.1m/83" version availability WITHOUT landing gear:

We currently have Avanti S 2.0m/79" version models in stock without gear (in both color versions), and we can order Avanti S FC 2.1m/83" models without gear in all available trim scheme/color options. Pricing for the versions without gear is about $900-$1000 less than the versions with gear. Of course we can also order Avanti S XL (aka XXL) 2.5m/98" models without gear as well.

Last edited by Jason W M; 11-15-2014 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:01 PM
Zeeb

Jason,

I'm sorry to hear about your wife's medical problem, I hope she's doing better.

However, there's no way for us (users/buyers) to know that you've had some sort of emergency unless you tell us. I don't normally bother someone again once I've encountered an answering machine, left a message and got no response.

While I'd like to have the composite wings, I really don't see that happening. Krill has no real reason to go to the expense and effort of new wing molds for what is, I'm reasonably sure, a very limited market. Doing so would even tend to prevent those like Danny (F1 Rocket) above from considering just replacing the whole model with a Krill. I'll keep watching for availability but I'm not 'gonna hold my breath.

I got the replacement tank from Jet Tech and there's a big warning label on the thing about not using Jersey modeler fuel setups with more than five NiCD batteries (six volts) will void the warranty. When I talked with him about the problem, he said one guy had collapsed three tanks. I told him those units come with 8 cell battery packs (essentially a tx pack) and that some have rheostats to turn down the pump speed as mine does. He's also put 8mm fittings in the thing and I don't have any of that size stuff around so there will be some more extensive plumbing mods than I thought. Didn't think I'd have to play with 8mm stuff until the Shockwave got here.....
Old 11-15-2014, 04:44 PM
tucson

While flying my Avanti today my spotter saw something come off the plane on one of my passes..After landing he found a 1/2 inch wide strip of metal that keeps the inner piper and outer pipe separated at the rear of the pipe (He has good eyes). Spot welds failed.

I don't want to remove the pipe if I don't have to. I wonder if there is another way to fix this or get around pulling the pipe.

Anyone have any ideas??

Stan
Old 11-16-2014, 01:20 PM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes,
In four quadrants drill a small hole through the outer pipe, take the loose piece and tape in place. Mark the four points and then drill out the corresponding holes in the metal spacer. Bolt together with four small bolts, lock washers and nuts.
It was not uncommon to use four small tabs of plywood covered in bvm heatsheild as spacers as well.

dean w.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:24 PM
tucson

Dean ,
You also mean to drill through the stainless inner pipe as well. The clearance between the inner and outer pipe on mine is maybe an 1/8"

A few small washers will also make good spacers.I always find it difficult to drill through a stainless steel pipe.

Hows the XXL coming?

Thanks for the info.

Stan
Old 11-16-2014, 10:07 PM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Stan

Check closely to see if there are any spot weld marks on the INNER pipe. I suspect not as the rear spacer is usually just a floater and simply attached to the outer. Keep in mind that the inner pipe will expand considerably compared to the outer pipe. So just securing the spacer to the outer pipe will suffice.

The XXL is progressing well. We have run into a few head scratching areas but overall the build is going well. I will have it ready to fly in the spring when it warms up..or may have to come down to Arizona to do the test flight...lol

Dean W.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:07 AM
tucson

Hi Dean,

There are spot weld marks on the inner pipe. So it looks like that's where it was attached. I am bringing the pipe to a friend this morning who is a welder to see what he has to say. If he cannot do the spot welds I will have to drill through both pipes and use a screw and nut with some spacers between the two pipes.

I want to get my Avanti flying again. I really enjoy it.

I have been following the XXL thread with a lot of interest. Might be my next project.

Regards,

Stan
Old 11-17-2014, 11:40 AM
Jeff Hendricks
My Feedback: (3)

Hello

i have a Krill Avanti S on the way. Is anyone willing to share a Futaba 18mz setup file with me ?

Thanks.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:46 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Jeff, PM me and give me your email address…
Old 11-17-2014, 12:28 PM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by Jeff Hendricks
Hello

i have a Krill Avanti S on the way. Is anyone willing to share a Futaba 18mz setup file with me ?

Thanks.
I'd offer but mine is almost exactly like DrScoles model right down to the VT tailpipe. Mine also uses a PowerBox Royal SRS with the Igyro but that gyro function is not setup yet.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:34 PM
hbutler

I Joined the crowd and picked up an avanti. Nearly done with the build. Thanks to the posters for the info... It's been helpful.

Any tips on how to center thrust vector pipe? I can eye ball it, but wanted to know if there are any tips that can help me get it precise the first time. I can see myself chasing trim and thrust angle. I used a throw meter for the other surfaces. Doesn't seat well on the pipe
Old 12-12-2014, 04:18 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, sighting up the thrust tube from the rear and visually verifying that everything seems precisely centered (concentric circles) is a VERY accurate way to check that the turbine is properly centered. Unless you don't believe the engine mount and thrust tube are installed at the proper thrust angle then checking things visually is probably the most accurate way to go...
Old 12-12-2014, 05:30 AM
billtulsa

Has anybody come up with a landing gear fix/new springs for the main gear? Mine empty, no fuel has only about 1/8" left in the travel of the mains. Will bottom with 1/4 tanks.

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:35 AM
hbutler

Good point. Turbine is not in now. I put it in temporally to insure the pipe was centered. Sounds like u r sugesting using that also as a reference for TV. Makes sense
Old 12-12-2014, 07:57 AM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by hbutler
I Joined the crowd and picked up an avanti. Nearly done with the build. Thanks to the posters for the info... It's been helpful.

Any tips on how to center thrust vector pipe? I can eye ball it, but wanted to know if there are any tips that can help me get it precise the first time. I can see myself chasing trim and thrust angle. I used a throw meter for the other surfaces. Doesn't seat well on the pipe
Got smoke????

Eyeball the centering and if you have smoke, turning that on while doing a ground run will get you really close. Then go fly the beast and vertical uplines work really well for fine tuning where the nozzle is pointing. We did it that way and my up/down thrust was good but the left/right was out of whack a bit, it took full left rudder to hold it straight on that first flight.... lol Mine are on a switch that you can select full deflection, 50% or off.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:08 AM
hbutler

Wow. Full rudder???? I would assume that if was off that bad it would be obvious visually prior to the flight.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:21 AM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by hbutler
Wow. Full rudder???? I would assume that if was off that bad it would be obvious visually prior to the flight.
Well I thought it was still a bit off when we did the Maiden flight but my "assistants" over ruled me.... lol No big deal though as that was at full throttle with a Behotec B-180 in the vertical climb, the model doesn't need anywhere near that power for most flight maneuvers and at the lower thrust levels, it wasn't really that noticeable.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:26 PM
hbutler

Anyone find a spring solution for the thrust vector setup? Working on getting some tutor springs but that won't come through until next year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.