Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Sebart Avanti S Build Thread w/KT 180

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Sebart Avanti S Build Thread w/KT 180

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 08:49 PM
NICKELUP
My Feedback: (82)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting ready to maiden my Avanti, and I am planning to use a cortex for gyro, question is do you fly normally with the thrust vectoring deactivated, and turn it on when you planning to enter in to your maneuvers especially for a hover? Would you use gyro only on the thrust vectoring servos? Thank you in advance.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:00 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I ended up not using the gyro on the TV. The 3-axis ones were just coming out, and I tried to use two single axis gyros... they worked, but I couldn't get them not to work... ;-) I usually turned TV off for normal flight, however, I didn't notice a huge difference when flying with it on. Its when you peg the sticks is when things get exciting. I did tumbles and flat spins, that was about it. Haven't attempted any high alpha slow flying with it. Flat spins with smoke are awesome.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:43 PM
NICKELUP
My Feedback: (82)

Thank you for the info. I am going try the gyro on the TV and see how it goes.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:37 PM
Jets of Bergen ;-)

Hello.
I took maiden on my Krill Avanti S yesterday, the first trip went very well and I enjoyed it very, ATJ 220SV have much power :-)
The second trip was not as good as the first one was, after take off, I lost control of the plane several times and it did uncontrollable movements in the air, luckily I got control again and I managed the lucky way to get the plane landed.
What happened here I do not know.
After landing, I took a new range test and went a bit further away than the first time, I guess I was about 50 meters from the aircraft at about 30 meters first time. This time I lost contact with the plane. I use Futaba's new the recipient 7018SB in the plane, this is the first time I use this receiver and got unfortunately a bad experience.

Questions I wonder: is it much carbon in Krill Avanti body (which I can not see) that can destroy the radio signals? what do you guys flying Krill Avanti with receiving antennas, do you place these out of the fuselage ?? or placed these inside your body as usual.

Thanks for reply.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Avanti 1.PNG
Views:	315
Size:	882.1 KB
ID:	2155232   Click image for larger version

Name:	avanti 2.PNG
Views:	315
Size:	841.6 KB
ID:	2155233  
Old 03-31-2016, 02:18 AM
Jgwright

Originally Posted by Jets of Bergen ;-)
Hello.
I took maiden on my Krill Avanti S yesterday, the first trip went very well and I enjoyed it very, ATJ 220SV have much power :-)
The second trip was not as good as the first one was, after take off, I lost control of the plane several times and it did uncontrollable movements in the air, luckily I got control again and I managed the lucky way to get the plane landed.
After landing, I took a new range test and went a bit further away than the first time, I guess I was about 50 meters from the aircraft at about 30 meters first time. This time I lost contact with the plane. I use Futaba's new the recipient 7018SB in the plane, this is the first time I use this receiver and got unfortunately a bad experience.

Questions I wonder: is it much carbon in Krill Avanti body (which I can not see) that can destroy the radio signals? what do you guys flying Krill Avanti with receiving antennas, do you place these out of the fuselage ?? or placed these inside your body as usual.

Thanks for reply.

I see a Powerbox sensor switch. You should be using the Futaba supplied switch as per the instructions. The
Powerbox sensor switch may well not be supplying sufficient power to maintain the voltage to the Receiver for the size of servos you are using. I have a regulator supplying a regulated supply to my 7018 but it is a large capacity Jeti regulator and we have had no problems with this set up. It would be worth checking the voltage as the servos are activated. You do not show where your receiver is mounted, personally I would mount it above the deck and make sure the aerials are correctly orientated.

John
Old 03-31-2016, 04:29 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jets of Bergen ;-)
Hello.

Thanks for reply.
Were you aware of the following warnings for that receiver ?

**six high-torque servos at the same time.**
**Using more than six high-torque servos—such as the BLS172SV, BLS177SV or**
**S9177SV—could cause the R7018SB to overheat and damage its circuitry.**
**Damaged circuitry could, in turn, lead to a loss of performance**
**or other difficulties.**
**This may also be true with other brands of high-torque servos.**

A friend that recently switched to Futaba planned to use that receiver in a 100cc gas airplane and was told by multiple Futaba team pilots that the 7018 had serious power limitations and that it wasn't suitable for his application. They suggested using a dual receiver installation.
You didn't mention what type or how many servos you are using but with the turbine you're using I assumed you may have thrust vectoring and may well be using more than 6, high torque digital servos which isn't recommended with that receiver.

Hope you get your issue sorted out...
Old 03-31-2016, 05:35 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

I have a friend flying the same model using a single 7008 rx through a powerbox. this setup has performed flawlessly to date. I think the 7018 is suspect.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:45 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where are you guys purchasing the Krill Composite version of the Avanti? Thanks!
Old 05-17-2016, 06:57 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You may be able to get it through Dreamworks...Todd has one.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:52 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie P
Where are you guys purchasing the Krill Composite version of the Avanti? Thanks!
Chief has 'em.

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/radio-c...ll-models.html
Old 05-17-2016, 10:25 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks guys, how do the basic version and the Krill compare for flight handling? I like the larger inlets and the CF wing, but is there much of a difference otherwise?
Old 07-16-2016, 12:53 PM
Damo260

Hi Guy's I've brought a second hand Avanti from a mate a few months ago with a little bit of damage I've got a mate repairing the wings I just finished repairing the fuselage and painted it. I'm chasing where the best place to get the covering from it's pretty hopeless in Australia with the covering I'm after the gold blue and the red do a few repairs to the tailplane.

Damo

Name:	20160705_185114.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	2.99 MB
ID:	2173135   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160717_055001.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	2173136   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160710_150432.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	3.00 MB
ID:	2173137   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160710_150447.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	3.28 MB
ID:	2173138   Click image for larger version

Name:	1467599360831.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	2173139   Click image for larger version

Name:	1467599345456.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	2173140  
Old 07-19-2016, 07:31 AM
wfield0455

Ok, is anyone using a Jettronic low loss brake valve with their Avanti ? I have one in mine and I connected the air tanks in parallel as shown in the instructions and I simply can't get the brakes to not fully lock no matter how small the control input. My first reaction was I'll need to split the air system so I can run a lower air pressure to the brakes. I tested that theory by only pressurizing the tanks to 50PSI but no joy. I further reduced the air pressure to 30PSI and now they don't fully lock (ever) but go from off to max braking immediately. Both wheels behave the same..

Also, while they look very nicely made I'm not all that thrilled with the retracts either. I initially setup the Jettronix gear valve to go to the off position after 15 seconds which I've done on all my other airplanes to aviod air loss if I have a slight leak in the system. After the first flight, following an absolutely perfect, greased landing, once the airplane had slowed enough to make the mains carry the full weight of the airplane, both mains collapsed. The locking mechanism apparent;y isn't adequate to hold the gear locked unless there is pressure holding it locked.

Any suggestions to get the brakes working smoothly ? I'm planning to put a pressure valve on the brake output to see what pressure is coming out of the valve but that won't arrive for a couple of days.

At this point I'm seriosly considering scrapping the whole gear and brake system and replacing it with electrics. ANy suggestions on gear and struts that will be a drop in replacement without needing to modify gear doors, etc, too much ?

Thanks for any input.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:30 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wayne, do you think they'll fully lock when going down a runway with 30 pounds on top of them? This wouldn't be a worry of mine unless I was wiping out tires. Can you grease them more to reduce the bite?

Airline restrictors?
Old 07-19-2016, 08:37 AM
tucson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Wayne
I use two air tanks. The one for the brakes only I use 40 lbs of pressure. I also use the regular JT air valve not the low loss one. You might also use a little Vaseline in the brakes.
I had to play with the air pressure to get a proper amount to avoid locking up the brakes.
It works fine now.
I use 110 lbs for the retracts air tank. No problem there.
Grease in the brakes helps a lot.
Regards,
Sran
Old 07-19-2016, 08:47 AM
hbutler

Unless the gear shipped has changed significantly in the last 1.5 to 2 years, I would ditch and go with the electric set made be electron retracts. I've had both and multiple problems with the air gear. Cause significant damage to the plane as a result. Total opposite experience with the electron gear. They just work. Minor tweaks to get them to fit on the sebart version(about 2 hours of work conservatively) but well worth it. During the time I've owned the gear they use dated the controller to have door sequencing and recently, they have an updated controller with a gyro. Clear winner based on my experience with this plane.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:21 AM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by DrScoles
Wayne, do you think they'll fully lock when going down a runway with 30 pounds on top of them? This wouldn't be a worry of mine unless I was wiping out tires. Can you grease them more to reduce the bite?

Airline restrictors?
Yes, absolutely, If you touch the brakes at all it will lock the wheels and flatten the tires. I move the brake lever 1/16" and they are fully locked and will not rotate, no matter how much pressure I apply. I've played with the brake curve so that it only applies about 5% to the brake channel and the wheels still go from full off to full on, even with only 50PSI in the tank. Only if I turn the air pressure down to less than 30PS do they not immediately, fully lock but then they never will fully lock, even with full brake\s. It only requires about 15PSI to provide the level of braking I want when the brakes are applied.

Air line restrictors are a thought but wouldn't they only delay how quickly the brakes lock ?

Last edited by wfield0455; 07-19-2016 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Initially misunderstood the post..
Old 07-19-2016, 09:26 AM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by tucson
Hi Wayne
I use two air tanks. The one for the brakes only I use 40 lbs of pressure. I also use the regular JT air valve not the low loss one. You might also use a little Vaseline in the brakes.
I had to play with the air pressure to get a proper amount to avoid locking up the brakes.
It works fine now.
I use 110 lbs for the retracts air tank. No problem there.
Grease in the brakes helps a lot.
Regards,
Sran
Stan,

This was my first thought, that the gear pressure was simply too high for the brakes. Before re-plumbing the plane I tried pressurizing the tank to only 30 PSI and I still can't get brakes to work reliably. I'm wondering if there is perhaps something wrong with the brake valve but it appears to be working properly. I won't be able to tell much more until I can put a pressure gauge on the output.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:29 AM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by hbutler
Unless the gear shipped has changed significantly in the last 1.5 to 2 years, I would ditch and go with the electric set made be electron retracts. I've had both and multiple problems with the air gear. Cause significant damage to the plane as a result. Total opposite experience with the electron gear. They just work. Minor tweaks to get them to fit on the sebart version(about 2 hours of work conservatively) but well worth it. During the time I've owned the gear they use dated the controller to have door sequencing and recently, they have an updated controller with a gyro. Clear winner based on my experience with this plane.
Can you describe what sort of "minor tweaks" are required to get the gear to fit ?
Old 07-19-2016, 10:08 AM
hbutler

Been awhile, but if my memory serves me correctly, bind nuts had to move and some minor dremel work. The rear gear covers won't fit on unless u get creative. I just skipped that.

The amount of work(or $) required is far less than the repair for a gear up(or worse partial gear up) landing.

I'd also say the reinforce the gear mount on the wing. There was an article in jet power on a recommendation. If u do these two things(electric gear and reinforce the gear mount) u will be very happy with this plane. Flies amazingly well. If not u will be back in the shop in a short period of time.

On the gear reinforcement, I personally opened up the top of the wing and added 1/4 inch ply on both sides of the gear box and adhered to supporting edges of the box. Had to leave space for blind nutts on the inside. I don't have pictures but I did this on a wing that was previously damaged(air gear issues). I have a new set that I'll be doing the same fix in a couple of weeks. Won't help u now but I'll take pictures then.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:30 PM
mungrelv8ute

Damo

Drop me a PM

Gregg

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1505
Size:	431.6 KB
ID:	2173713  
Old 07-19-2016, 11:55 PM
Damo260

Originally Posted by mungrelv8ute
Damo

Drop me a PM

Gregg

Hi Gregg thanks PM

Damo
Old 08-29-2016, 02:21 PM
Damo260

Well I got my wings back a few weeks ago from my good friend Adam Argus (Argus Aircraft) he has done a awesome job repairing the wings. So I've have started to finished them off ready for painting. Can someone can give me the measurements of the main gear door as I need to make some up.

Damo

Name:	IMG_0010.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	2178846   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0011.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	2178847   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0025.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	2178848   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0026.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	2178849   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0035.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	2178850   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0037.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	2.80 MB
ID:	2178851   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0036.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	3.10 MB
ID:	2178852   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0038.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	2178853  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0053.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	2178854  
Old 09-01-2016, 06:44 AM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I believe there is another company offering electric retracts for the Avanti (besides Electron); a company called Pahl Retracts

http://www.pahl-retracts.com/Online-...s_Shop_3071308

http://www.pahl-retracts.com/Online-...s_Shop_3071308

http://www.pahl-retracts.com/Downloads/
Old 09-15-2016, 11:49 AM
A7Bldr
My Feedback: (40)

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Is a P-100 out of the question, especially flying off grass with this bird?
Thanks, Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.