Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

SKYMASTER F18F new project started

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

SKYMASTER F18F new project started

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 10:51 AM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put up my video of flying at a warbird event last November. I got my landings figured out at 140mm cg with no weapons at Hamburg PA event. No more Cobra Maneuver slowing down on final.

I put the weapons on for the 2 day of flying at the Ga. event and it flew like crap. I had to pretty much control crash it to get it down. I know now it was tail heavy but it also felt like the missile were creating turbulence that effected the ailerons.

I have fixed it and will fly again soon without the weapons. I will watch to see what you guys come up with.

http://youtu.be/vtyzYGcGOus
Old 02-11-2014, 10:53 AM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course no one was filming the good flights
Old 02-11-2014, 12:06 PM
lookilook

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jws_aces
Of course no one was filming the good flights
Scary movie Jeff!!! thanks for the info, i now have it balanced at 130mm and will try to make the modification for a higher AoA on roll out and see the difference if any from those vertical take off's.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:09 PM
lookilook

Originally Posted by Alex48
Congrats on the maiden!

The oleo should move more than that. Email Skymaster and ask them to send you a replacement.

Cheers, Alex
Hi Alex, isn't it strange to have the same movement of the oleo on both f18's? i mean i can see a quality issue if it was on one only but on both it seems like a faulty batch of gears?
I have emailed skymaster today and waiting for their reply.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:04 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

From looking at the pics that lookilook has posted from his maiden, he is just not using enough flap for take off.

I have flown all the hornets and they all need TONS of flap for take off and landing. They are set to almost the same position for take off.

The "F" models are the most notorious for balooning on final and moving the CG back makes them absolute bears to land.

Here is my old Tam's F-18F on touchdown. The flap settings for take off are effectively the same. And looking at my pic, I'd venture to say I wasn't using enough flap.

All hornet's LOVE, I dare say NEED, flaps for both take off and landing!

Old 02-11-2014, 11:26 PM
lookilook

Originally Posted by ravill
From looking at the pics that lookilook has posted from his maiden, he is just not using enough flap for take off.

I have flown all the hornets and they all need TONS of flap for take off and landing. They are set to almost the same position for take off.

The "F" models are the most notorious for balooning on final and moving the CG back makes them absolute bears to land.

Here is my old Tam's F-18F on touchdown. The flap settings for take off are effectively the same. And looking at my pic, I'd venture to say I wasn't using enough flap.

Hi Ravill, thanks for the info i will try to gradually increase flaps on takeoff as i took off with 25mm and next setting will be 35mm.
I will keep the ordnance on the wings as this is the way i will fly everytime if all goes well and plane's trims and cg are spot on next flight..
Old 07-25-2014, 06:00 AM
bri6672
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any update on performance with the changes?
Old 07-25-2014, 06:44 AM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ravill

Hi Raff,

How did you like the Tamjets super hornet relative to the sky master ones you have flown? I have a Tamjets Super but have not built it yet....too many other things to do but I don't want to get rid of it either. They looks a bit more scale than the sky master one I think in terms of fuselage shape.

Regards,

Craig.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:14 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by lookilook

Lookilook, your jet took off vertical because you didn't use enough flaps for takeoff. Hornets, need TONS of flap for take off. If in doubt, use landing flaps for takeoff.

In this pic, you can see that you have 15 degrees of flap. You need 35-45 degrees, minimum for take off!

Great pics!
Old 07-25-2014, 04:47 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If you mix in both rudders like a V-tail you will get more pitch authority especially on take off. Thats why the full scale bug uses this flight mode during TO and Landing. The main wheel axle is so far behind the CG that is must use the rudders for leverage to rotate. Thats why the RC jet needs higher take off speeds with flaps. Mixing rudders in a flight mode would reduce the TO speed. In landing mode with rudders active the flaps could be deployed further which would in turn reduce the landing speed.

Ive been wanting to try this on a foamy or HET F-18 for a while to test it. Has anyone tried this as a flight mode or something like that?
Old 07-25-2014, 06:30 PM
bri6672

Well I picked my bug up today!!! Jolly Rodgers scheme, it's from a few years back but new, never flown! Has the full armament, afterburner rings, Kevlar tanks etc... Going to put the new Kingtech 210 in it!

I have to get some better pilots, the stock ones or the worst I've ever seen!!!

Last edited by bri6672; 07-25-2014 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:16 PM
lookilook

Hi Guys, still on a project in Kuala Lumpur so i didn't get the chance to fly it since then. Next flights will be in September as temps now in Cyprus are 38c-42c.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:06 AM
spike5150

I just pulled a the trigger on an F-18F Diamondback scheme. Should be here late Feb.

anyone have any updated vids, pics or flight reports?

Jeremy
Old 01-04-2015, 03:04 PM
bri6672

I'm still working on mine but had some other projects take priority.... I now have a custom pipe from tam which should handle the 210 unleashed! I am also reinforcing some of the bulk heads and adding a second spar in the airframe. A buddy machined me some new elevator stab horns and some rudder horns as well I will post some pics soon. For guys looking for better pilots I think I have a great solution and willm post some pics soon!