Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Phoenix models BAe Hawk 1:6.25 scale

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Phoenix models BAe Hawk 1:6.25 scale

Old 07-27-2014, 06:34 PM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Finally found a video of one flying in Germany.

http://www.rcmovie.de/video/d70bd01718d0f8485cbb

Thanks

dave
Old 04-07-2015, 12:48 PM
Red Hawk 4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there anybody still doing a build thread on the phoenix 1/6 scale hawk, i've just ordered one and would like as much help as possible as this is the first edf plane i shall be building?
Chris
Old 04-08-2015, 04:53 AM
ticketec

It's been awfully quiet about this model on the net.... at least on the english speaking forums anyways.

There have been a few up and flying in Germany form what I have seen, but mine is still tucked away in it's box until at least I finish my skymaster hawk build.

If this is your very first EDF, then I might suggest that you have bitten off quite a fair chuck for your first one!

It should be a fairly straight forwards ARF assembly though, so if you've put together anything more than just PNP foamies then you shouldn't stray to far off the right path. As with all hawks, pay close attention to the hori stab and make 110% sure you have removed all free play from the linkages and that you have the most decent servos you can find on there. One of the one's in Germany had a hori stab fail in flight and he put it down to a lack of glue on the retaining pin. I'm umming and arrring as to weather I open the covering up and have a good look, and a glue adding session in there.

Thanks

Dave

P.s. you will get a lot more support in a dedicated EDF section. like on RCG. there is a thread already there about this model
Old 04-09-2015, 09:19 AM
Red Hawk 4

Hello Dave, I've seen very little on the english speaking forum so i've posted on the RC group forum.

Im going to start a build log once it arrives, which with a bit of luck should be tomorrow.

I have had foamies and a Graupner composite 70mm hawk which i still have.

I understand what you are saying about the hori stabs as i had issues with the 70mm, it has caused concern and and i've already seen an issue on a forum about this hawk and the hori stab issues, one guy posted his solution to the problem which was ok but does not give the hawk the authentic look.

I hope to hear from you on how your skymaster hawk build is going and if you have a build, a link would be good. How far have you got with the build?

Regards

Chris

Last edited by Red Hawk 4; 04-09-2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:42 PM
ticketec

Originally Posted by Red Hawk 4
Hello Dave, I've seen very little on the english speaking forum so i've posted on the RC group forum.

Im going to start a build log once it arrives, which with a bit of luck should be tomorrow.

I have had foamies and a Graupner composite 70mm hawk which i still have.

I understand what you are saying about the hori stabs as i had issues with the 70mm, it has caused concern and and i've already seen an issue on a forum about this hawk and the hori stab issues, one guy posted his solution to the problem which was ok but does not give the hawk the authentic look.

I hope to hear from you on how your skymaster hawk build is going and if you have a build, a link would be good. How far have you got with the build?

Regards

Chris
Yep,

That solution was a really sad way to get out of his problems..... I was told by a number of people that full flying stabs would or could not work on my FlyFly Hawk. I proved them wrong in the end, and I think this hawk is no different.

Here is a link to my Skymaster Hawk build:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...e-hawk-21.html

And my FlyFly hawk mod/build:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=mk.127+hawk

Thanks

dave

Last edited by ticketec; 04-19-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:14 AM
Red Hawk 4

Hi Dave,

I'm pleased to hear you managed to fly the flyfly hawk with full stabs, I think it looks a more realistic, but do appreciate the problems slop could cause. I'll be watching for this when i set mine up.
I read on one of the discussion that someone had purchased and used a Change Sun 120mm fan and the motor supplied with it which is a BL5052-500Kv.
Looking at the wattage this motor provides and the 8-10Kg thrust, i thought this would be a set up, I'm thinking of purchasing a 160 HV esc for this and running it through 12s lipo's, probably 5000maH 35c, hoping this should give me around 7 mins of flight time.
What do you think, i'm not very experienced in setting this type of setup at, any advice would be appreciated

thanks Chris
Old 04-26-2015, 10:18 AM
Red Hawk 4

here are some pics i've taken when it arrived and i unpacked it. I'm very impressed with the quality
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0631.JPG
Views:	2153
Size:	3.37 MB
ID:	2092280   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0653.JPG
Views:	2109
Size:	3.43 MB
ID:	2092281   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0649.JPG
Views:	2044
Size:	3.76 MB
ID:	2092282   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0650.JPG
Views:	2050
Size:	3.99 MB
ID:	2092283   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0636.JPG
Views:	2021
Size:	3.62 MB
ID:	2092284  
Old 04-26-2015, 05:44 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

A video of the smaller Hawk.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=0E05PZFk_68

Last edited by Bob_B; 04-28-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:10 AM
Red Hawk 4

Originally Posted by Bob_B
A video of the smaller Hawk timed today

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=0E05PZFk_68
Hi Bob, thanks for the video link, its a nice looking Hawk, and a nice flight time, i'm hoping to get around 5-7 mins with mine
Is there anyway that you know of calculating how much flying time can be got from a particular set up?

Cheers

Chris
Old 04-28-2015, 01:02 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

Simply divide your battery capacity by the amp draw. Looking forward to your build and light report.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:27 AM
Red Hawk 4

Thanks for that Bob, i'll do that and let you know in my thread what times i come up with on the bench test.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:44 AM
Rich Few

I know this is an old thread but has anyone converted this for a Turbine ? I am about to order one with the intention of installing a 6-8Kg turbine, and would appreciate any advise on what may need modifying or reinforcing for turbine use.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:48 AM
Rich Few

Anybody !!!
Old 09-27-2016, 07:46 PM
ticketec

I have ordered and am waiting for the bits to arrive, but the JTM landing gear and thrust tube from their 90mm Viper, to use on this hawk.

I build a viper for a friend and sized up the bits while I had them on the bench so am confident that they will work. I went with their landing gear because A: i needed brakes to have the model certified in Oz, and I pinched the lends out of the kit to use on my flyfly Hawk because I got sick of the stock gear always bending. Have been trying with no luck to buy replacement legs for the phenoix hawk so don't break the stock ones!

The bits should arrive soon and I'll go from there.

Thanks

Dave
Old 09-28-2016, 12:39 AM
Rich Few

I have made a start on mine. The quality looks good but not sure about the retracts. The air lines look like 1/8" and the fittings are similar to festo. The 2 way valve looks poor and was siezed but I have managed to free it up. There are no quick disconnects for attaching and removing the wings. I assume you have to use the festo type fittings to facilitate that ! I was thinking of changing to 1/16" air line so I can use robart quick disconnects and a decent 2 way valve and fill valve but not sure if you can get 1/8 to 1/16 adaptors for the retract nipples.

I have replaced the hinges with pin types and will replace the supplied linkages with 3mm threaded rod and clevises

What turbine are you going to use Dave ? I have not decided yet.

Last edited by Rich Few; 09-28-2016 at 12:43 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:06 PM
jet-lover

Has anybody flown one of these? Looking for some feedback before buying one.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:49 AM
Rich Few

Mine is ready but waiting for our field to dry out for the maiden flight. Fitted a Wren Super sport in the end. Will probably be a couple of months before I can fly it
Old 02-07-2017, 12:34 PM
jet-lover

Good luck Rich with your maiden flight. Don't forget to quadruple check the CG!!

Love to hear your feedback after your maiden.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:04 PM
Rich Few

[QUOTE=jet-lover;12303855]Good luck Rich with your maiden flight. Don't forget to quadruple check the CG!

Do you know something I don't !!
Will post on hear when I have flown it
Old 02-07-2017, 03:12 PM
jet-lover

No there is nothing special that I know about the Phoenix Hawk, in fact it is very hard to find any information?

My comment about the centre of gravity was just because I have seen many new aircraft crash on maiden flights because of incorrect centre of gravity issues.

Only last weekend I watched somebody maiden their new pride and joy only to see it lift off and then go nearly vertical until it ran out of airspeed. I’m sure you can fill in the rest of this story!

Really looking forward to hear about how yours flies.

Must say I am a little nervous about Hawks. I purchased a skymaster 1:5.5 turbine a couple of years ago which I have not finished yet and read many reports about their willingness to tip stall especially when landing.

Hopefully by keeping up the air speed and using the elevator gingerly I can avoid this.

Thought the Phoenix Hawk EDF will be a great aircraft to practice with before braving the sky master Hawk.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:24 AM
Rich Few

I am also a bit nervous about tip stalling as our flying site is a bit restricted to come in fast. My flying buddy has this Hawk with an edf set up. He has only flown it twice, the second time he ran out of battery but got away without too much damage. As you said I am aware about keeping up the air speed and hope the flaps will be effective for the landings. I am also mixing in a bit of crow with the flaps in the hope of reducing any tip stalling tendencies.

Will let you know when I have flown it.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:29 PM
jet-lover

Using crow sure rocks. I have added this to all my jets and it sure makes a huge difference in landing.

In regards to your mate running out of batteries, I have been using the E fuel gauge http://www.tje.dk/efuelgauge/

Found this to be amazingly accurate and helps to get maximum flight time while reducing the risk of getting a flat battery.

About to have a play with an airspeed telemetry module where you can set the stall speed. Not sure how good this will be but it should be fun to have a play!
Old 04-22-2017, 01:18 PM
Rich Few

Finally maidened the Hawk today. Take off was fine but after a couple of circuits the fin broke off at the fuselage joint!!
As you can imagine the resulting crash destroyed the fuselage and canopy. The wings, tailplane and more importantly the engine and radio gear survived.
Not sure if a replacement fuselage and canopy is available. If they are and I decide to repair it I would certainly beef up that joint.
If I can't get the parts i would welcome suggestions for an alternative air frame of a similar size, for my wren ss.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:51 AM
US1A kai

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for hear that....
Which fin broke off?
Verticl or horizontal??
Old 04-23-2017, 09:20 AM
Rich Few

It was the vertical fin

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.