RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BIG A-5 Vigilante build

Old 02-11-2019, 05:04 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yikes, I have to agree with Jeremy about the friction fit tubes in the Dubro tanks. I did vents through the Dubro tanks several years ago but I used a threaded barbed brass fitting from B & B sealed with hysol. I got away with it then but would prefer not to do it again.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:23 PM
jofunk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks LGM for your thoughts. I will monitor the fuel lines and tanks closely. They will be in direct sight with the top hatch off............ Here is how I adopted this method. Many years ago I took apart a craftsman weedwacker. I found the fuel lines into the tank were also friction fitted. I thought how can they be doing this on thousands and thousands of weed wackers that were holding gas and being kept in peoples garages and basements? Well my answer was one of two possibilities, the money they save on brass fittings was worth blowing up a couple of houses, or because it works. So I tried it on a couple of small glow tanks with silicone tubing. This would eliminate the corroding green brass tubes.To my delight it worked just fine. I thought to myself you could make a tank out of any bottle, so I did. My favorite is a 12 oz. saline solution bottle for my combat airplane. The next was for my Ziroli warbirds. I ran Tygon through the side of a 32 oz. Dubro tank. IT DID NOT WORK!. After a short time the Tygon formed a memory and lost the friction fit. A bit later I was informed about neoprene gas line with Viton. It was a miracle fuel line that would never get stiff in a tank. I bought some but it wasn't cheap, about $4 a foot. So the Viton went back through the side of the 32oz. Dubro tank I ruined by drilling holes in the side of it. The tank went back in the plane. It is still holding today after many years, along with a half a dozen other warbirds and a few jets with the same tank setups. If you look above at post 541 my Boomerang fuel tank (maple syrup bottle) started to split at the seam after 13 years. The friction fits were still holding and the old Viton went back in the new tank / syrup bottle. And thats the trials and errors I went through with this method. It seems to work for me so I stuck with it. If anything changes Ill put up a post...........As a side note this method also works great on air tanks made out of soda bottles. Drill the undersized hole through the cap though and not the side of the soda bottle. The bottle will fail, at a crazy high pressure, before the friction fit leaks.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:29 AM
causeitflies

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jofunk, have you used this method with fiberglass tanks? I have to try this out! I always dread making up fuel tank fittings.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:19 AM
jofunk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Mike I never tried it through a fiberglass tank. They seem a lot thinner. I don't know if you would be able to drill a nice clean hole. Any polyethylene bottle would work as long as the area to drill through is relatively thick. The other thing is you will need to take a few minutes to clean the shavings out of the tank and the burrs around the hole. Try it on a little glow plane with silicone tubing to get the hang of it. With gas or diesel you can only use Viton tubing.