RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Where have they all gone

Old 03-07-2014, 02:27 PM
mikedenilin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I missed the green bottle provider here.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:28 PM
Dave Wilshere

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_matt View Post
Funny, especially in_this_thread.
Yep, was thinking the same, plenty have told me that certain peoples posting was a main reason they left!
Old 03-07-2014, 05:49 PM
PaulD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's like a referee who has let a game get out of hand and is not willing to hand out some harsh penalties to bring it back into line. The mods are non-existent and have not stopped the keyboard warriors in their tracks. So the good ones leave and all you're left with is the crap.....

Also personally, I still really dislike the re-do that was done on the site. I use a tablet most of the time and the new config makes it harder to navigate and every page reload I have to scan thru the same BS at the top of the page. Maybe it's good for advertising revenue but It's not working for me.

PaulD
Old 03-07-2014, 07:34 PM
rbxbear44

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

+1 Pinnacle. Just got home from FL Jets. The "community" is still very strong, gratefully! Many of us are just seeing RCU Forums are not a viable media.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:01 PM
Leroy Gardner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Man someone opened up a can of worms with this one, maybe I should throw in a few maggots too. Yep the good old days are gone and with it went the high class guys that really did have the answers and were happy to help anyone. Same goes for responders, they look in but must be afraid to ask a question for all the reasons already mentioned. One wonders why there are hardly any new guys, it shouldn't take long to figure that one out and I better not get started on all the rest of it, I'd likely get banned myself.

"Oh well"

Leroy
Old 03-07-2014, 10:32 PM
Jetflyer3000
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Some interesting views here. It could also be because the hobby is not new any more and much of what can be said has been said many times and people are just not as interested anymore. There is a limit to how many pics for example a person can look at an F16 or how to build an ARF

I also think people got annoyed by how much the commercial side of the hobby felt that these forums belonged to them and used this place mainly for marketing

The whole FEJ thing also irritated many people and also put some in a difficult position

Still it is going to be one of the best weekends we have had in the UK for weather in a long time so I am off to fly a few planes
Old 03-07-2014, 10:47 PM
olnico

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Interested post actually.
I had a significant amount of comments from expert builder and modellers about this fact.
This is the reason why I decided to create a blog.
Some of our best experts are putting their builds on there. Have a look at the masterpiece that Joe is creating right now. Very impressive.

http://www.ultimate-jets.net/blogs/joe-grices-blog
Old 03-07-2014, 11:09 PM
Stickbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Really don't like the site since the upgrade. Several years ago, I started what became the largest thread on the forum. Since the update, I hardly go to the thread any longer. I drove down to Florida Jets yesterday, saw Ali and a few other friends. Really don't like the change at Paradise Field. I'm sure those who fly with training wheels will love the hard surface, but so far there is no viable grass runway for we taildragger types. I'm sure Frank is addressing that.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 03-08-2014, 07:26 AM
HoundDog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ever think it just ain't interesting or even important to the guys that do know something not just think the now it all.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:53 AM
MX240

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just look at some of the people on our hi-way system.
But, we still drive our cars....right?
Same here......I have thick skin after all these years, so I get a lot of my information on here.

Also look at the people we have in DC. No respect for each other at all.
The party of...NO!

Maybe they /we have it too good anymore.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:31 AM
HoundDog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

MX240 how right U R When ya got the flying field U just gota leave your feelings at home I'm in 5 clubs and we surlly are ruogh (all in fun of course) on each other. I realize that some people have a hard time with it but if the want to be part of the gang it's just something people learn to put up with ... U do get praise for something ounce in a while even if far and few between. Again it all in jest.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:32 AM
ravill

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundDog View Post
Ever think it just ain't interesting or even important to the guys that do know something not just think the now it all.
What?!

Are you speaking American boy?

I miss the ET vs The World threads. They were the best.

There still is alot of great info here on RCU. I've noticed a HUGE UK involvement in the past few years.

It's still relatively easy and I'll still post and ask questions.

RCU isn't quite dead yet.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:37 AM
dubd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have very mixed feelings about RCU. In the past RCU was a great place to learn and immerse yourself in the hobby between flying. However, after my FEJ F-14 crash, there was a lot of ugliness that came out from all sides and I stopped visiting the site as frequently. I hope the online community continues to thrive and brings in new people. We're a brotherhood of model aviation fanatics. That should bring us together rather than divide us.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:49 PM
MX240

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree....Let the stupid politicians and their back room money deals for themselves fight.
This website and this hobby is to take our mine off such things for our enjoyment.
Sure....these is some BS on here....but it's still a good place to learn how to do some things.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:29 AM
Falcon 64

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubd View Post
I have very mixed feelings about RCU. In the past RCU was a great place to learn and immerse yourself in the hobby between flying. However, after my FEJ F-14 crash, there was a lot of ugliness that came out from all sides and I stopped visiting the site as frequently. I hope the online community continues to thrive and brings in new people. We're a brotherhood of model aviation fanatics. That should bring us together rather than divide us.
I am really sorry to say I`m a part of that feeling you all have, agreeing in this thread, really!
I saw it came crawling into me as a both feeling and as a guilt, as a addiction and as a way to drain myself.
For beeing too much in defence instead of letting it all go, let the doubters be on their own and continue the hazard.
For that I`m sorry...
My reply on dubt`s words here is because this was the very extreme, whithout doubt or hesitation to say that.
But pushed it to defend a professor, as I believe in him, as this also was a lesson for me as the time went by.
And I know my reply here is off-topic as I`m not in the group "where have they gone" intro.
I just wanted to clean the sheets, better safe than sorry..or how was that part really..?
Feels good to say those words, nomatter how anyone can read, define or feel their talons shiver.
I`m not in any ones way anymore, saw the picture too late, and made a ditto picture of who I could be!
But not who I am.
And I guess that talkes for many many more than me..

Thank you.

Last edited by Falcon 64; 03-10-2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:49 PM
Chris Smith

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have to say the posts from our UK friends are ones I usually find most informative or interesting. I'm not sure there has been any increase in UK posts, but the forum is better for it if that's the case.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:52 PM
jetster81

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I reckon the reason for lack of posting and people moving on is twofold mainly, firstly, the know alls and flamers with two or three ARTF's under their belt getting on the nerves of respected experienced guys in the sport, coupled with political correctness that the governments are using to dumb us all down to the level of sheep has spread to many forums, and secondly there is not so much to talk about. Kit building is not popular any more and there are even less scratch builders above who are likely to post their projects due to the afore mentioned. We ,and I include me in this , have become lazy as market forces have tempted us with ready painted, pre installed gear etc etc. planes so an install to be flight ready can be under a week, hardly news worthy. Combine that with the fact that the market is in the doldrums in that there is nothing much new arriving on the scene and what is has already been done to death, you only have to look along any flight line to see the same old same old. Not much to talk about there that has not been said already. Result, a forum that does not promote much interest or comment.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:54 PM
jetster81

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I reckon the reason for lack of posting and people moving on is twofold mainly, firstly, the know alls and flamers with two or three ARTF's under their belt getting on the nerves of respected experienced guys in the sport, coupled with political correctness that the governments are using to dumb us all down to the level of sheep has spread to many forums, and secondly there is not so much to talk about. Kit building is not popular any more and there are even less scratch builders about e who are likely to post their projects due to the afore mentioned. We ,and I include me in this , have become lazy as market forces have tempted us with ready painted, pre installed gear etc etc. planes so an install to be flight ready can be under a week, hardly news worthy. Combine that with the fact that the market is in the doldrums in that there is nothing much new arriving on the scene and what is has already been done to death, you only have to look along any flight line to see the same old same old. Not much to talk about there that has not been said already. Result, a forum that does not promote much interest or comment.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:05 PM
Pinnacle Aviation

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If there are people out there who would still like to see models built, detailed, painted weathered then look me up on Facebook

this is couple of many project I am currently working on
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	894.9 KB
ID:	1978104   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	793.9 KB
ID:	1978106  
Old 03-15-2014, 02:18 AM
Dave Wilshere

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

FB is no place for men...IMO
Old 03-15-2014, 05:31 AM
patrnflyr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

After yesterday's altercation on the same thread that continues to stir up controversy, I don't blame anybody for leaving this site. All of the flamers have run everybody off. It isn't just occurring here on RCU, but apparently across the internet. Like everybody else, I frequent about three or four areas of interest forums. It seems each one has their "know it alls" that butt in to every thread with their wealth of knowledge contradicting people with decades of experience. Finally, the veterans get tired of it and just leave. I'd really like to know where but they keep it quiet so the problems don't follow and continue antagonizing. It's really getting sad and a wealth of information is being lost. There's no telling how much $$$ are also lost on unnecessary crashes etc. You can't put a figure on that but it has to be occurring.

It was just said a few posts ago, but I find it amazing how someone who has assembled a few arf's can feel they're qualified to go up against someone who has decades of experience. Maybe it's their own insecurity and they feel by degrading other people, it'll build themselves up.

Last edited by patrnflyr; 03-15-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:46 AM
Ali

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well said! That about sums it up for me. LIke many different aspects of this hobby ( certainly in the UK it seems) I feel as if RCU is broken! Yes. I have a commercial interest in this side of the business, but often I tried to help on topics that had no commercial link to my business. That to me was the essence of RCU. When times were good… Lets say 3-5 + years ago, it was a great place to come and gain info, share experiences and promote the hobby. Quite quickly it moved into a bitter place where all that was shared was hatred and anger. You had those just using it as a commercial tool for promoting only the products they sold, or listing what they had sold that day. You also had those who seemed to think they knew it all, and unless you agreed with what they thought, or their opinion then you were attacked and harassed. At that point I decided to consciously walk away. I still frequent the site pretty much everyday. I hope that one day it can return back to how it used to be, but I realise that maybe a tad naive of me.

Facebook has 1.11 BILLION users. I can't imagine that they are all women can you
Old 03-15-2014, 06:02 AM
Dave Wilshere

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Facebook has 1.11 BILLION users. I can't imagine that they are all women can you

No comment, guess it depends what you use it for...
Old 03-15-2014, 07:06 AM
luv2flyrc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinnacle Aviation View Post
If there are people out there who would still like to see models built, detailed, painted weathered then look me up on Facebook

this is couple of many project I am currently working on
Hi Phil, how about a link to your FB page? A search of FB and I can't seem to find you. There's a full scale Pinnacle Aviation available.

Mike
Old 03-15-2014, 10:25 AM
jason

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Heres a link to Phils page.

https://www.facebook.com/pinnacle.aviation.5

Jason