Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

How do you prepair to fly at a Jet meet?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

How do you prepair to fly at a Jet meet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 10:52 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How do you prepair to fly at a Jet meet?

Ok guys I hope this does not come off as odd, but as a somewhat newer Jet Flyer I feel the need to ask this question.

As I got my waver in the middle of last year, (I have only been flying 3 years now) and I have only been to 3 flying and 1 competitions.

Im trying to get my turbine buddies to make a road trip to Kentucky Jets, as we live in Columbus OH so it’s not too far.

Now Im not scared of much, and enjoy flying with others, even if at the last meet my boy TFG P47 ran into my TFG P51 right after I landed, and cut my wing
in 1/2

But the 2 guys that are supposed to come with me do not want to bring a jet to fly. As they tell me I have not been to one of these huge jet shows yet, and
that it is almost complete craziness, like 6 turbines flying at the same time, vs were we fly there is usually just one at most 2.

So my question is, is there a way to prepare for the so called craziness at these meets?

Are there any unspoken rules one should know about?

Is there a way to get my boys not to be chicken. LOL

Is there something you bring with you to fly at these meets that you normally don't have or do at your local field?

Thanks for the info.

Mike

Old 03-17-2014, 11:04 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Kentucky is a great place to start.... It has a nice wide runway and the days are very long. So if you intimidated you can fly early or late. You can still fly until about 9:00 at night.

I take my planes out a few weeks before and do run checks and pref fight everything. I go out the week before and fly everything and check for issues. Then I again go over everything until I am happy with it. At Kentucky for instance I go around 50 flights throughout the week. So after the event I remove the turbine,pipe and allot of other critical flight parts and inspect them before flying again.

If you need any help let me know. I will be at Kentucky Monday afternoon until Sunday morning. Its nothing to be intimidated about. Just plan ahead and use common sense. If you see 5 guys all starting up at once you know they will all need to come down at once. So when I see people grouping up like that I take a little break until the spacing gets better. Also a good spotter is key. you need to find a good spotter for sure. Dont just grab anyone. Spotting is more important then people realize sometimes and people should take it more seriously.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:07 AM
mikes68charger

So there is no one in control of the flight order?
Old 03-17-2014, 11:15 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

" Also a good spotter is key. you need to find a good spotter for sure. Dont just grab anyone. Spotting is more important then people realize sometimes and people should take it more seriously"

So true! I refuse to fly at any jet rally without a good spotter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUm3c_YBVZ0

Last edited by basimpsn; 03-18-2014 at 03:13 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:18 AM
rbxbear44
My Feedback: (86)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Mike,
First of all, welcome to the jet community! Jet meets are great fun and awesome way to experience a broader view of this part of the hobby and the people that are a part of it. Jets Over KY is a very large event but really is a great one to go to...whether beginner or a lot of years under your belt. The flight line, at times is very busy and full with folks waiting in line. But there are times when it is pretty quiet. The event is really over a week long, if you count set up days (which you are allowed to fly). Coming early if you can, gives you some less busy flight line times but once you head into Friday and Saturday...it cranks up pretty much all day long.

Lewis Patton is the CD and does a fantastic job keeping good guys as Flight Line Directors there all day long. Your spotter needs to be good and knows how to help you as a pilot when your bird is in the air. That, in my opinion, is what makes a busy flight line enjoyable...a good spotter!

My suggestion is this...if you can, get there a few days earlier than the weekend and get some flights in. You will do fine and get into the groove. It's a full scale airport too, which gives you tons of room and extra runway if you need it.

These events are ALWAYS fun to go to with close flying friends...tell them they better come or you will end up with newer friends from the event...LOL! Lots of cool product and vendors to take in too. I would try and make it...and take your jet with you and get some rounds in, man!

Unspoken rules??? Nope! Just bring what you would normally take to your own field to fly your jet...taxi tank, Fire extinguisher and any other start up equipment you normally use. they sell JetA there so you really don't even need to bring a bunch of fuel either. They sell AeroShell and other name brands for your turbine mis too.

best of luck!
Rex
Old 03-17-2014, 11:23 AM
rbxbear44

Usually, the Flight Line is under full "Flight Director" Control on Friday and Saturday. The rest of the time is typically Spotter and pilot communication. It's very good and in the last 5 years of going to this event...there have not been any problems.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:28 AM
mikes68charger

ok thanks,

So now I know this sounds bad, but I have only flown off concret one time, it was at a meet were more boy crashed into my bird.

I will say I came in 2nd with that P51 in a Scale War bird show, so I can say I know it well, but on concret it was like a diffrent bird, tail tracked diff, and bounced more on landing.

Now I know our jets have 3 wheels vs the main 2 wheels on a war bird, but do they act diffent also?
Old 03-17-2014, 11:30 AM
rbxbear44

What airframe are you flying?
Old 03-17-2014, 11:38 AM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

You should go to winamac jet meet first ,it's a smaller jet meet with the same principal rules with less traffic in the air and then go to the biggest show in the us ,and is two weeks before Kentucky jets this will be good experience .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	1979024   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1979026  
Old 03-17-2014, 11:41 AM
mikes68charger

Well my beater is a CAI Razor, I just gave it a new paint job, and I just got a new to me Carf Euro Sport with KingTec 140. I got a Bryon F16 I convert to Turbine, Wich if it flys well I hope to bring that one. And a Falcon 120 like every one eles.

I was thinking of bring the Razor and the Bryon.

Name:	20140120_143921.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	1979029   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140117_132212.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	1979030  
Old 03-17-2014, 11:46 AM
mikes68charger

Originally Posted by sysiek
You should go to winamac jet meet first ,it's a smaller jet meet with the same principal rules with less traffic in the air and then go to the biggest show in the us ,and is two weeks before Kentucky jets this will be good experience .
Man would love to go, but those days the wife is takeing me on a road trip. Not allowed to even talk RC that week. lol
Old 03-17-2014, 11:50 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

KY Jets is perfect , you can start off with this. LOL

As other mentioned, spotters are essential!

IMHO the spotter is the single most important safety item a jet flyer needs, additionally the spotter can not be afraid to communicate effectively with others on the flight line,

The spotter should not be there to BS with the pilot during the flight, he should be looking at every other aircraft's position in relation to his pilots,

Landings and take offs are the most hectic during a large event, special attention to others is very important, spotters need to be aware of any declared emergence where another pilot decided he needs to land right now when his pilot is already on finial, communications , communications, communications!!!!.

Also coming early in the week is a very good idea to get the lay of the land! in addition it give you more of a chance to socialize with the other Jet Fliers!!!!

Welcome to the Jet Community

Name:	bourbon.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1979025   Click image for larger version

Name:	drill.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	1979031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Keep_Calm_And_Stay_Vigilant_Charcoal-500x500.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1979032  
Old 03-17-2014, 12:09 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Good spotter cannot be overstated and not just someone who watches, it really helps to have someone who knows you and what you want to do and can get you back on the ground in one piece.

There are fearless guys at these things so the pattern can get low, tight and wicked fast.....there are guys demoing and selling and they are pretty steely so it can be scary for normal guys.

Also having a plane with a LOT of fuel reserve is fantastic, because it can be wild trying to get in line to land land and all of this so called "back taxing" can make for scary times on the runway. Having a way to stay up an extra 3-4 minutes can be very very nice when you need it. One of these small tanked turbines or an EDF might not be the best choice when it is crowded.

Just my US$0.02
Old 03-17-2014, 12:27 PM
RSO

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, having a spotter experienced with "large events" is your best assurance of having a successful flight so you can concentrate on the flying. The best ones watch out for you, not watch you. Observe how the best ones do it and ask for their help. All the advice above is dead on and can't be overemphasized

Jerry
Old 03-17-2014, 12:58 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

I would take whatever you are most comfortable with. The only difference i noticed going to a jet meet compared to the average flying day, was the increased traffic and the higher pattern speed. With my eurosport i typically flew a conservative 90-100mph pattern and got 6 1/2-7 minutes with a 2 minute reserve. At jet meets i would knock my timer down ti 5 1/2-6 minutes to maintain the same reserve (sometimes less) because your pattern speed changed based on who/what you were flying with

as far as hard surface compared to grass. The only real differences i noticed is your steering is a little more sensitive and the use of brakes is required more, otherwise its not different IMO.

I am hoping to get to Kentucky jets for my first time this year as well, i just need to talk the wife and boss into letting me leave and find someone to road trip with
Old 03-17-2014, 01:06 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Also, I have not been to Kentucky but I went to Florida Jets and Superman (many times) when they were on big full size runways and there were a lot of planes that only came out because of that huge runway so a lot of guys landed very long, so you had to land with guys on still on the runway. That is the genesis of this back taxi thing, not as big of a deal if guys can get their plane over to the side and it is a wide runway. Looks like kentucky is that way. We had guys at Superman land so long that they would loose radio contact on the ground! Fly past the pilot station doing 80 mph still 15-20 feet up!
Old 03-17-2014, 01:11 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Thomas we live pretty close now and I will be for sure going But I will be their all week. Leaving Monday morning and getting back to Tampa Sunday night.

Originally Posted by invertmast
I would take whatever you are most comfortable with. The only difference i noticed going to a jet meet compared to the average flying day, was the increased traffic and the higher pattern speed. With my eurosport i typically flew a conservative 90-100mph pattern and got 6 1/2-7 minutes with a 2 minute reserve. At jet meets i would knock my timer down ti 5 1/2-6 minutes to maintain the same reserve (sometimes less) because your pattern speed changed based on who/what you were flying with

as far as hard surface compared to grass. The only real differences i noticed is your steering is a little more sensitive and the use of brakes is required more, otherwise its not different IMO.

I am hoping to get to Kentucky jets for my first time this year as well, i just need to talk the wife and boss into letting me leave and find someone to road trip with
Old 03-17-2014, 01:20 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hire a good spell checker... "Prepare" not "Prepair"....Just sayin'...
Old 03-17-2014, 03:19 PM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Might sound stupid, but make sure you can fly the pattern in both directions.

Some people make it to events and realize there that they can't fly right hand pattern.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:34 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Jack offers great advice!!
Make sure you are comfortable taking off and landing from either direction, and can handle crosswinds.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:36 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

If you travel to JOK at the beginning of the week, you can fly to your hearts content. Starting Wednesday the event starts getting fairly busy, come Saturday the flying is non stop so you may be uncomfortable flying that day!
Old 03-17-2014, 03:56 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

When I started going to events I went to "Superman" as an observer. I saw that what a lot of guys have told you that a spotter is more important than you can think. Have your stuff super reliable, practice flying in both directions and cross winds, and most of all know your limitations. The field director will control the flight line but you need to be able to react to things that come up, like guys having flameouts, gear issues, and the faster pace that six jets in the air can have. Go early and fly when it's not crazy. We usually go for the entire event and don't fly that much on Saturdays when it is hectic at these super large events. Like the guys said a smaller event with a wide runway would be a better first choice IMHO, but Lewis runs a first class event just pay attention and have a good spotter who watches the other guys you watch your plane.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:17 PM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JackD

Some people make it to events and realize there that they can't fly right hand pattern.
So very, very, true........
Old 03-17-2014, 04:24 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Originally Posted by JackD

Omg this is so true even for regular club fly ins... esp the warbird guys... man
Old 03-17-2014, 04:29 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Also having a plane with a LOT of fuel reserve is fantastic, because it can be wild trying to get in line to land land
Or, keep an eye on how much fuel you have left & be prepared to land early when an opportunity is there.
Nothing worse than circling at low throttle flying on fumes waiting to run out of fuel while the runway is clogged
with dead sticked/wheel less/burning models.

I prefer to fly my old beater at jet meets because it's reliable, sorted & easy to land short or long if there's chaos
on the runway.

And don't assume that everyone at these meets are well disciplined with extraordinary flying skills & reliable models, my experience has been that flyers of all skill levels attend these meets. - John.

Last edited by Boomerang1; 03-17-2014 at 04:37 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.