Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

How do you prepair to fly at a Jet meet?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

How do you prepair to fly at a Jet meet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 05:03 PM
Joe Westrich
My Feedback: (95)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What field do you fly at? I used to fly up at TORKs in Columbus when they had a 800ft paved runway. I am just North of Cincy,
Old 03-17-2014, 05:04 PM
sherlockshah
My Feedback: (1)

MIKE, I am going to try to get out there too. F-15 and F-16. I have to figure out if i have any concerts or not. IF i do not , I will try to get out there. ALSO have to see if i can fit both jets in the van.03
Old 03-17-2014, 05:06 PM
MattyMatt
My Feedback: (2)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

One thing to keep in mind.... You can't hear anything at the flight stations. People starting up behind you, taxing.... Get used to not hearing your plane in the air. Set your timer 1-2 minutes earlier, and stick to the timer.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:40 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Nothing worse than circling at low throttle flying on fumes waiting to run out of fuel while the runway is clogged with dead sticked/wheel less/burning models.
I hate when that happens, especially all three at the same time.
Bring an extra pair of clean underwear.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:17 PM
sherlockshah

Originally Posted by Boomerang1
Or, keep an eye on how much fuel you have left & be prepared to land early when an opportunity is there.
Nothing worse than circling at low throttle flying on fumes waiting to run out of fuel while the runway is clogged
with dead sticked/wheel less/burning models.

I prefer to fly my old beater at jet meets because it's reliable, sorted & easy to land short or long if there's chaos
on the runway.

And don't assume that everyone at these meets are well disciplined with extraordinary flying skills & reliable models, my experience has been that flyers of all skill levels attend these meets. - John.
YOU know everyone is scared now that I said IM coming there!! PEOPLE will be like OH MAN SHERLOCK is here, okay folks, everyone off the runway let sherlock do his thing LOL
Old 03-17-2014, 10:22 PM
Kevin_W

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sherlockshah
YOU know everyone is scared now that I said IM coming there!! PEOPLE will be like OH MAN SHERLOCK is here, okay folks, everyone off the runway let sherlock do his thing LOL
Nah, While there is a short list of pilots whose attempts at aviation will prompt many of us to hide under the tables, we usually reserve that judgement until after we have seen them fly once or twice.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:29 PM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with all of the above and...

My two cents would be to make sure that your steering and brakes work properly. If you have been flying on grass and now on concrete/runway, make sure it tracks straight with and without brakes...this way you won't be locking up and doing the brake -spin after landing.

This was the biggest lesson for me at Winamac in 2007.

Dave
Old 03-18-2014, 05:48 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Nothing worse than circling at low throttle flying on fumes waiting to run out of fuel while the runway is clogged
with dead sticked/wheel less/burning models.
Always have a plan B... that means circling at a altitude that allow you to glide and land with the wheels up in a appropiate spot out of the runway, away from people, pilots, callers,etc. Anyway, having fun is paramount in this meetings, don´t bother on worrying taking your bird back with some scratches, charrs, or even worse. Jets are meant to be flown, and not sitting in a hangar just because they look pretty. :-)
Old 03-18-2014, 05:54 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes68charger
Ok guys I hope this does not come off as odd, but as a somewhat newer Jet Flyer I feel the need to ask this question.

Is there something you bring with you to fly at these meets that you normally don't have or do at your local field?

A lucky charm or rabbit foot.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:06 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I experienced this as well on my second event I flew at, I think what makes me a little nervous is the fuel requirement. My f-16 had very limited fuel so feeling pressure from the flight line folks to sequence people in for landing was my biggest worry at first. Plus my local field and had very large and wide runway so going to someplace new and flying for the first time adds an unknown. KY Jets is amazing just bring a BIG taxi tank for the line to get in the air
Old 03-18-2014, 06:22 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Dave brings up a good point. The runway lights at Kentucky eat a couple planes every year. Lube up the brakes so they don't lock up and track straight.

Originally Posted by ddennison
I agree with all of the above and...

My two cents would be to make sure that your steering and brakes work properly. If you have been flying on grass and now on concrete/runway, make sure it tracks straight with and without brakes...this way you won't be locking up and doing the brake -spin after landing.

This was the biggest lesson for me at Winamac in 2007.

Dave
Old 03-18-2014, 09:48 AM
thumbnstick
My Feedback: (169)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,
Welcome to the Jet Community. Come see us this Spring on any good weekend at Titusville, Pa. (once this darn winter breaks) or better yet come and fly with us at Our Jet meet in June OCturbofest. We can have fun going over all of that Jet meet stuff with you and get you prepared for KY Jets fun. You will have a ball at both. What you face mostly is the fear that you create yourself from the unknown. We can help with that. If you come to see us, we will go over how to spot first. Learning to spot correctly is a big help for flying also. It was said that the good ones will watch out for you. That is so true!! There are only a few hours of a couple of days @ KY that things get really congested. Lots of other hours to fly that aren't that bad. PM me and I will give you my Ph# and we can talk.
Jack Graham
Old 03-19-2014, 04:51 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by thumbnstick
Mike,
Welcome to the Jet Community. Come see us this Spring on any good weekend at Titusville, Pa. (once this darn winter breaks) or better yet come and fly with us at Our Jet meet in June OCturbofest. We can have fun going over all of that Jet meet stuff with you and get you prepared for KY Jets fun. You will have a ball at both. What you face mostly is the fear that you create yourself from the unknown. We can help with that. If you come to see us, we will go over how to spot first. Learning to spot correctly is a big help for flying also. It was said that the good ones will watch out for you. That is so true!! There are only a few hours of a couple of days @ KY that things get really congested. Lots of other hours to fly that aren't that bad. PM me and I will give you my Ph# and we can talk.
Jack Graham

Mike....

Kentucky Jet's is a huge show. It may be a little overwhelming for your first outing. As above... Come out to Tittusville, and have a good time with jet guys. I try to attend both sessions. (spring and fall)

I'm a bit of a nervous flyer... so when I'm away from my home field... I generally don't get in more than a few flights. I would like to attend Kentucky... but I don't know if I want to fly there.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:02 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Tony the best way to get over it is to go out and do it.

The thing about Kentucky is its really not that busy. The day is so long everyone has plenty of time to fly. You can fly from 6:00AM to 9:00PM. With such a long day the flight line does not get to bad until Friday and Saturday. Even then its not really bad with such a large runway.

Come down to FLjets one time that is a busy flight line because you can only fly from 8;00 to 6:00.

Come on out to Kentucky Tony I will spot for you and help get you used to it and in the groove If I could only attend one event a year its without a doubt Kentucky jets period!
Old 03-19-2014, 07:10 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Honda
I'm a bit of a nervous flyer... so when I'm away from my home field... I generally don't get in more than a few flights. I would like to attend Kentucky... but I don't know if I want to fly there.
Tony
Can't wait until we can start flying at Titusville; however, we may just have to wait until the June spring event for the cold weather to be over!

If you come to KY Jets either myself or Jack would be happy to spot for you, get that F-16 ready!!!!!
Old 03-19-2014, 11:18 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by gunradd
Tony the best way to get over it is to go out and do it.
I've been flying for +30 years. Don't think it's going to change any time soon. (LOL) Regardless... I may try to attend this year.