Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Ali Machinchy and Al's Hobbies ( Jet Centre ) Announcement

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Ali Machinchy and Al's Hobbies ( Jet Centre ) Announcement

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 08:40 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ali, congratulations on your new gig at Horizon and the move to the US. While you and I have not seen eye to eye on a few things, I do want to acknowledge you as a great ambassador for our hobby. I'm confident that Horizon and their customers will benefit from your greater involvement. I'm wishing you the best in your new endeavor.

Last edited by dubd; 03-22-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:44 AM
AngusMc
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ali, I’ve only met you a few times, you have incredible talent in the RC world, your amazing charisma and selflessness at events sets you apart from anyone that I know. The great marketing and business karma that you have and done has made the Hobby Giant Horizon seek you...well done!. Great decision (and a huge one), congratulations on this new chapter in your life for you and your family, I wish you all the best

Keep well and safe journey across the pond

Angus McDonald
Canada

Last edited by AngusMc; 03-30-2014 at 05:09 PM. Reason: spelling :-0
Old 03-22-2014, 09:13 AM
icepilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations Ali - I once had the opportunity to take a job in the US - and I still regret it sometimes!! Still, I hope you cut down on many of your international meetings and events
so you can find the time to come to Fyresdal - I mean, where else can you fly all day and listen to Sinatra all evening??
Good luck!!
Tor
Old 03-22-2014, 09:24 AM
Ian Rowe

All the best Ali can't fault you ! Go to the states and make a new life for yourself and your family.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:39 AM
sixjets
My Feedback: (4)

Ali you are very welcome in the us, you are a treasure to this hobby, Congratulations. and thanks for the help at best in the west rally, I'm the pilot with the Bob Cat.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:40 AM
TimMores
Banned

Originally Posted by redtail
Eat your heart out Putin, you can retake land but the US has retaken one of Europe's' best. Congrats Ali, hope to meet you one day. Chic
Heck the UK is quite away away from Putin land
Old 03-22-2014, 09:58 AM
cymaz

Originally Posted by Ali
It was a dream job Tim when the sales represented the amount of effort that was put into helping people. More and more ( especially in the UK ) it became the case where I did the promo work, or helping establish a product. Only for the end customer to go direct to save ( or think they are saving ) a few £'s. This is always going to happen I know, but towards the end it was getting so common place that people were even looking to me to support such products! The Uk market seems to have gone its own direction, in that the end users only seemed concerned with where they can source the products for their hobby at the cheapest price. Forget service, forget quality, forget backup, forget if it is ethically provided. Not a good place to be in my dream job and spending on that type of clientele. I got very, very lucky in that Horizon value what I do. I have parents that support my decision and a family that is with me all the way. Henry RG sums it up.

Thankyou very much for the kinds words guys. I really appreciate your kind words and support.

Regards Al
That's a bit harsh Ali, there simply is not the size of market in the UK as there is in the US. Nor the income.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:51 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Its not a assumption, its an observation. Real life experiences having worked in the hobby trade all my life. Its completely different now. I have watched customers that were once so anal about the slightest imperfection, happily order products that they know are not fit for purpose, or will have a high failure rate.. Just because they are cheap. I have also heard people talk about tax dodging immigrants that in their view are a strain on the countries resources….. and in the next breath they order from a company that are flagrantly exploiting a tax loophole which allows them to sell within the Uk at a pretty decent saving over a law abiding UK based company within the same trade. Who pay the appropriate taxes back into the country.
I could show you plenty of emails where I am asked for the advice, help and information on a product.. Only for the end customer to go direct. I can give you plenty of examples of people coming into either of my stores asking for support on products that have been sourced overseas…. Sorry of if that comes across harsh. It was not my intention. Just trying to give some back ground to why I am moving elsewhere and changing my approach to how I try to earn a living.
Regards Al
Old 03-22-2014, 11:51 AM
AV8ATOR

Originally Posted by Ali
Its not a assumption, its an observation. Real life experiences having worked in the hobby trade all my life. Its completely different now. I have watched customers that were once so anal about the slightest imperfection, happily order products that they know are not fit for purpose, or will have a high failure rate.. Just because they are cheap. I have also heard people talk about tax dodging immigrants that in their view are a strain on the countries resources….. and in the next breath they order from a company that are flagrantly exploiting a tax loophole which allows them to sell within the Uk at a pretty decent saving over a law abiding UK based company within the same trade. Who pay the appropriate taxes back into the country.
I could show you plenty of emails where I am asked for the advice, help and information on a product.. Only for the end customer to go direct. I can give you plenty of examples of people coming into either of my stores asking for support on products that have been sourced overseas…. Sorry of if that comes across harsh. It was not my intention. Just trying to give some back ground to why I am moving elsewhere and changing my approach to how I try to earn a living.
Regards Al
Well said... +1
Old 03-22-2014, 12:14 PM
Termites Dream
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Ali, Having read many of your posts over the last few years I have come to respect and learn from what you bring to the hobby. Great news for those of us in the States that you will be moving here. Having moved here from Australia and the UK in 1990, hope the Visa stuff all goes smoothly for you. Having Horizon working with the INS should help a lot.
David
Old 03-22-2014, 12:21 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Ali is on a very important point. Our hobby is at an interesting turning point. Many of the people who first made model jets practical are still active as users or suppliers or both, and there are plenty of people here on RCU with real world engineering, business or personal experience that gives them an appreciation for how hard it is to design and build good products, how expensive high-end engineering is, and what a challenge it is to make that pay back with a relatively small market such as ours.

Because of all the hard work by the original innovators, and the hobbyists who appreciated it and helped things develop, it lowers the barrier to entry for folks who have none of this history, and no appreciation of the hard problems. Its not their fault, they just don't know. These same people can at times bring a "hyper-consumerist" aggressive attitude toward price and expectations that don't fit with technical and business reality, and don't or perhaps won't understand the eventual impact of not supporting the people who really make all of this enjoyment possible.

I don't think it's really anyone's "fault" .. it's simply a case of a hobby turning a corner from a dedicated and well-connected set of enthusiasts to a broader group of people who could be a force for good by making a larger market, and broadening the appeal of what we do to more people - or a force for negativity and a warped idea of the hobby business that will hurt it.

Regarding the discussions here on RCU, I think we see a very small sample of the hobby represented here .. typically the two extremes of the folks who give so much of their knowledge and help to others and those who simply want to gripe about perceived slights. And, as is unfortunately sometimes the case in online discussions, things can get ugly too fast and very negative. But the amount of real insight, real help and real innovation here on RCU still makes it very worth it for me, and we all learn to just roll our eyes and ignore the nonsense.

I say 1000 thanks to Ali and folks like him who have given us a lot of what we need, built a business for themselves along the way, and who consistently show they are in this for the good of our community.

Dave McQueeney
Old 03-22-2014, 02:01 PM
vega406
My Feedback: (73)

Bonus for you Ali you get to fly at Horizons Eli Field everyday
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	eli 2.jpg
Views:	800
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	1980519   Click image for larger version

Name:	eli.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	1980520  
Old 03-22-2014, 02:11 PM
Ali

If I must Vega!
Old 03-22-2014, 02:30 PM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Uk loss, US Boss! I'm happy Horizon gain a guy not only working for money, but keeping it honest too. I really like someone who can provide an IRL view of things. Best of luck from me too

One fast glider, and a bunch of slowflyers

Last edited by Henke Torphammar; 03-22-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:44 PM
stevekott

Ali. ..... Buddy,

Sound like you got a little 'snookered' with some stuff in the hobby.

Most us just do it as a 'hobby' and it's just about the fun for us. We don't have to trouble ourselves with the business end.

I thank you again for preserving my Yellow F-14 at BITW. I will always be grateful.

Congratulations on your new position and wish you the best.

I hope you will find the USA to be the land of great opportunity as so many of us have. Welcome, hope to see you soon.

Happy Flying,

Steve
Old 03-22-2014, 04:59 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Originally Posted by ww2birds
Ali is on a very important point. Our hobby is at an interesting turning point. Many of the people who first made model jets practical are still active as users or suppliers or both, and there are plenty of people here on RCU with real world engineering, business or personal experience that gives them an appreciation for how hard it is to design and build good products, how expensive high-end engineering is, and what a challenge it is to make that pay back with a relatively small market such as ours.

Because of all the hard work by the original innovators, and the hobbyists who appreciated it and helped things develop, it lowers the barrier to entry for folks who have none of this history, and no appreciation of the hard problems. Its not their fault, they just don't know. These same people can at times bring a "hyper-consumerist" aggressive attitude toward price and expectations that don't fit with technical and business reality, and don't or perhaps won't understand the eventual impact of not supporting the people who really make all of this enjoyment possible.

I don't think it's really anyone's "fault" .. it's simply a case of a hobby turning a corner from a dedicated and well-connected set of enthusiasts to a broader group of people who could be a force for good by making a larger market, and broadening the appeal of what we do to more people - or a force for negativity and a warped idea of the hobby business that will hurt it.

Regarding the discussions here on RCU, I think we see a very small sample of the hobby represented here .. typically the two extremes of the folks who give so much of their knowledge and help to others and those who simply want to gripe about perceived slights. And, as is unfortunately sometimes the case in online discussions, things can get ugly too fast and very negative. But the amount of real insight, real help and real innovation here on RCU still makes it very worth it for me, and we all learn to just roll our eyes and ignore the nonsense.

I say 1000 thanks to Ali and folks like him who have given us a lot of what we need, built a business for themselves along the way, and who consistently show they are in this for the good of our community.

Dave McQueeney
+1000
Old 03-22-2014, 05:06 PM
76Mustang76

Congratulations Ali, Wish you and your family all the best in the USA. Sure going to miss your displays at UK events.

Jeremy

Last edited by 76Mustang76; 03-22-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:12 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

Now your phone will receive all the FUN!!!!

EPIC!!!

[Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos]
Old 03-22-2014, 05:17 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Ali
Congratulations on your new job opportunity, will you be at the Toledo show?
If not, look forward to seeing you at KY jets
Old 03-22-2014, 10:06 PM
P. Richards
My Feedback: (3)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Great News my friend, see you in Kentucky...

P. Richards aka SwatTeam
Old 03-22-2014, 10:39 PM
pbusa1400

I'm so happy and proud for you my friend..... If anyone can fill the shoes of the position you are getting it is you. I look forward to your move over here. It's great to see one of my friends recognized and moved up. Well deserved!!

Pablo
Old 03-23-2014, 12:02 AM
TimMores
Banned

So is Ali basically filling the hole left by John Redman who went to Jetcat USA. or is it a different role ?
Old 03-23-2014, 12:37 AM
Ali

Very much a different one……. Timothy
Old 03-23-2014, 02:29 AM
ZivBit

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Ali

best of luck and "MazalTov" for the dream job in the us.
we work a lot with the Horizon us crew, so we will be in touch!

cheers,
Ziv
Old 03-23-2014, 03:13 AM
TimMores
Banned

Originally Posted by Ali
Very much a different one……. Timothy

Its not Jet Aircraft development is it ?

Last edited by TimMores; 03-23-2014 at 03:40 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.