Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Is there hope for FEJ MAYBE

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Is there hope for FEJ MAYBE

Old 03-26-2014, 02:14 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by paulrcpilot-RCU
As much as I appreciate everyone concern, my desire to build and purchase the Tornado is a dream for me. I have been building and flying rc for 30 year and have the ability to understand what needs to be done to ensure safe and lively performance. I have a local expert who builds and designes his own airframes to consult with if I hit any big obsticles. It would be nice if folks would show some support and encouragement instead of the unwanted negative input. Constructive comments are always welcome. Thanks Paul
Paul, best of luck to you!
Old 03-26-2014, 02:19 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jetpilot
It amazes me that someone would actually comment "congrats"
But I'm even more amazed there are guys still ordering this crap.
Scott
Skymaster F-14 = 10,000, FEJ F-14 = 5000

SKYGATE large hawk = 11,000 FEJ = 6000

Where are the mfgs that are in the middle? it seems you either pay 2x or no jet, SKymaster has clearly started to raise their prices on there new planes to the same as the European counterparts so this is another factor on why customers will flock towards FEJ. Some people are getting wood/fiberglass airframes now without the honey comb. How good they are? Remains to be seen.

Last edited by DiscoWings; 03-26-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:30 PM
foster4u
My Feedback: (112)

I do feel that Skymaster has stepped their game up significantly and I do have plans of purchasing some of their aircraft . The work they did on the F-14 is outstanding and the Cougar is a must have.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:52 PM
paulrcpilot-RCU
My Feedback: (32)

I do not want to get drug into a dicussion about me or my decision to purchase this aircraft. My decision to purchase was made before I was aware of the reported issues with FEJ. I contacted a felow modeler Lowel Wexler before I persued the purchase of this airframe and he was more than positive about it. After the initial payment I have lived all of the problems with customer service you have all described. Since I am already into this project I would like to see it come to its logical conclusion. Even if I fail I will have tried my best and will not have any regrets. There are good folks on this site that have something to contribute and there are others that for whatever reason have nothing positive to say.

I will not get into the weeds with anyone about my choices, and I will HONESTLY report what happens with the Tornado. If its succesful or not you will all get to know. Paul
Old 03-26-2014, 02:59 PM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

now look at those numbers again from a resale value. Skymaster retains a significant amount of its value whereas FEJ??
Old 03-26-2014, 03:26 PM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Best of Luck, and please let us know how it all turns out, I would like to see you get what you want for your money,,

Last edited by raron455; 03-26-2014 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:35 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by raron455
Best of Luck, and please let us know how it all turns out, I would like to see you get what you want for your money,,
For darkness and chaos to prevail

Good men need do nothing
Old 03-26-2014, 03:57 PM
impulse09
My Feedback: (3)

It wouldn't be RCU if there wasn't an FEJ thread on the home page.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:00 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Damo260
Every manufacture has problems you's just focus on one company all the time.

Damo
And that is because FEJ has and/or creates problems ALL THE TIME !!!
Old 03-26-2014, 04:19 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoWings
Skymaster F-14 = 10,000, FEJ F-14 = 5000

SKYGATE large hawk = 11,000 FEJ = 6000

Where are the mfgs that are in the middle? it seems you either pay 2x or no jet, SKymaster has clearly started to raise their prices on there new planes to the same as the European counterparts so this is another factor on why customers will flock towards FEJ. Some people are getting wood/fiberglass airframes now without the honey comb. How good they are? Remains to be seen.
Come on Disco...really? The only deciding factor is plywood vs honeycomb?

My FEJ F-16 (before they came out with honeycomb) utilized all plywood formers. Let me remind you and others here that the airplane split in half during a regular race track pattern turn. POOF! It was gone that fast. I was pitting right next the FEJ guys and not one of them even asked me what happened. The little rats tripped over themselves, scurrying to avoid me.

As far as I am concerned the whole lot of them should go to JAIL for fraud.

Last edited by AndyAndrews; 03-26-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:32 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Considering how the FEJ hawks keep crashing the skygate hawk is a steal.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:05 PM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the numbers never lie.

I have been trying to get into a 1.4 or bigger hawk since Oct. 2012 after seeing Matt's FEJ hawk Fly at Fairview Jets.

I put my deposit down 2 weeks later. I struggled like everyone waiting on a jet. I found a used Skymaster first version 1.5 hawk that has been flown for over 5 years. I flew the wings off it waiting for FEJ to build my plane. I ask for a change in order to the F-18 that later I manage to get my deposit back. So I have nothing in the game at that point.

move to KY jets. I was considering selling a couple of my jets and buy the auction 1.3 FEJ Hawk. Yes I felt like I could possibly set it up and fly it with out losing it to structure failure. But after watching the one crash there I was out. Move ahead to a month ago. I was back in the market. I spoke with Nir about a Large Hawk he had in at his home. That was very enticing because it meant that I can trade cash for a real kit.

The numbers don't lie. After considering again all of the failures of the stabs and there problems of trying to get parts( I also had a hard time getting replacement parts for a 1/8 F16). I couldn't pull the trigger.

I contacted Andy Kane and purchase a Skygate Hawk. It was delivered 7 days later. Got all the options from Germany in another 2 weeks. Awesome service.

The way I am looking at is that I would have spent 8k+ on FEJ and every time i would fly it I would hold my breath that it wouldn't come apart.

Instead I will have about 12k in skygate hawk and will be able to enjoy it every time I fly it. Peace of mine is priceless.

Consider if you are buying any jet from 2k to 10k it does no good if it is no fun and hard to keep in the air.

I love the FEJ Jets for looks but not flying. I will consider them again but someone else needs to prove the designs. I sorry for the guys like DUB and the guy in Canada with 1.4 hawk.

My 2 cents
Old 03-26-2014, 05:09 PM
DiscoWings

Originally Posted by AndyAndrews
Come on Disco...really? The only deciding factor is plywood vs honeycomb?

My FEJ F-16 (before they came out with honeycomb) utilized all plywood formers. Let me remind you and others here that the airplane split in half during a regular race track pattern turn. POOF! It was gone that fast. I was pitting right next the FEJ guys and not one of them even asked me what happened. The little rats tripped over themselves, scurrying to avoid me.

As far as I am concerned the whole lot of them should go to JAIL for fraud.

HEY! I never said honey comb/plywood was the only issue I just said the new kits are coming out this way (seeing as the issues skyrocketed with honey comb) I also clearly said the reason some people will go to FEJ is because the alternatives are too expensive.

As for me I'll wait for the 1:35 scale Skymaster Hawk over the skygate.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:12 PM
DiscoWings

Originally Posted by jws_aces
Yes the numbers never lie.

I have been trying to get into a 1.4 or bigger hawk since Oct. 2012 after seeing Matt's FEJ hawk Fly at Fairview Jets.

I put my deposit down 2 weeks later. I struggled like everyone waiting on a jet. I found a used Skymaster first version 1.5 hawk that has been flown for over 5 years. I flew the wings off it waiting for FEJ to build my plane. I ask for a change in order to the F-18 that later I manage to get my deposit back. So I have nothing in the game at that point.

move to KY jets. I was considering selling a couple of my jets and buy the auction 1.3 FEJ Hawk. Yes I felt like I could possibly set it up and fly it with out losing it to structure failure. But after watching the one crash there I was out. Move ahead to a month ago. I was back in the market. I spoke with Nir about a Large Hawk he had in at his home. That was very enticing because it meant that I can trade cash for a real kit.

The numbers don't lie. After considering again all of the failures of the stabs and there problems of trying to get parts( I also had a hard time getting replacement parts for a 1/8 F16). I couldn't pull the trigger.

I contacted Andy Kane and purchase a Skygate Hawk. It was delivered 7 days later. Got all the options from Germany in another 2 weeks. Awesome service.

The way I am looking at is that I would have spent 8k+ on FEJ and every time i would fly it I would hold my breath that it wouldn't come apart.

Instead I will have about 12k in skygate hawk and will be able to enjoy it every time I fly it. Peace of mine is priceless.

Consider if you are buying any jet from 2k to 10k it does no good if it is no fun and hard to keep in the air.

I love the FEJ Jets for looks but not flying. I will consider them again but someone else needs to prove the designs. I sorry for the guys like DUB and the guy in Canada with 1.4 hawk.

My 2 cents

Carf needs to lower the price of the skygate hawk, it should not cost more than the tomahawk. I'm anxiously awaint the skymaster hawk, they have switched to airex construction hopefully they'll have a nicely painted military one for around 10k.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:24 PM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted the Skymaster Hawk 100 but I just could pay the price for that small of a jet. I have no problem with their pricing it was just in the hawk it is the smallest of all the ones on the market in the price range. I know Anton is working on a bigger Hawk I just couldn't wait.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:31 PM
rbxbear44
My Feedback: (86)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh well Paulrcpilot...I feel bad for you but you did lob up a "fully inflated Beach Ball" for them to swing at.

Last edited by rbxbear44; 03-26-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:46 PM
PowerBoxDanny
My Feedback: (47)

Last edited by PowerBoxDanny; 03-26-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:54 PM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

Actually, I think it's pretty hilarious that all of this, is in response to FEJ delivering, after $3 THOUSAND DOLLARS paid & fourteen months of waiting, a PHOTOGRAPH of a jet!

Paul, I wish you the best! I watched Lowell put first flight on his Tornado from FEJ a few years back, it was, in a word, SCARY! I'm not sure if it ever flew again. But again, I do honestly wish you the best with this. First, that the photo materializes into an actual jet on your doorstep before you lose your dream! And most of all, that what you eventually receive can be completed and flown safely and successfully!

However, I will forward this thought: You sent them $3k, they ignored you for 14 months, now they send you a PHOTOGRAPH of a jet, and want/expect you to send them ANOTHER $3k??? Think about it

Here's a suggestion: Have them deliver your kit to Nir, here in the US, I see he has offered to get involved with curing these problems, have Nir inspect and certify the kit complete. Then and only then, do you send them the balance of payment. PROTECT yourself!

Disco, "Congrats!" for receiving a photograph? Really!?

To everyone else:

Outta here,

David S
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	270525_485708861451819_2088139636_n.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1981846  

Last edited by David Searles; 03-26-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:01 PM
bikecrasher

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gday guys..

I have the original FEJ 1/8 f16.. Its coming up to its 7th birthday in Dec... I loved that plane so much that I bought the FEJ A10 version 1. Bad decision right there. on it first take off it needed full up to rotate off the ground. I had it semi trimmed at just under half throttle with full up trim. When I powered up she nosed down and when I throttled off it zoomed up.. Major thrust line issues. The 1st landing tor out the mains as the gear mounts were attach to 2 sheets of 1/8 balsa with one's grain going span wise and the other going vertical between a sandwich of single layer carbon with bugger all glue.. I measured up the thrust lines verses wing and tail incidence and they were all wrong. I contacted the company and they told me that I could not fly it right and my landing technique was wrong. I ended up reinforcing the gear rail attachment points with ply and they did not tear out again. With the engines I ended up redoing the thrust lines to more of a trim friendly line. Next flight good rotation, trim was good pulled a large loop to check for a straight pull up, at the end of the loop noticed one wing higher than the other... A broken wing spar.. I landed it wheels held on this time..Told the factory again on the 2nd flight the wing failed. They thought I had wrote the model off in the process and said pilot error sorry for your loss.. So I sent them photos of the one piece model with the broken wing spar from a bore scope.. No more answered emails....

A few years later I bought my mates 1/4 FEJ hawk.. knew the issues they have and fixed them. I bought the hawk because at the time when I ordered my A10 he bought the hawk from my recommendation from the f16. He ended up ding all the work but has chosen to junk the plane. Now I have it. after around 20 flights I performed a touch and go on grass came back around for a mains landing, as the nose wheel touched down on grass the Hexolight (honeycomb) former ripped out of the nose. I told them this and they want $700usd plus freight for a new nose... If it was ply wood I would never of had this issue.

Honeycomb is only good for sheeting or fuses... not for torsional, compression or thrust loads.. FEJ makes lovely looking planes in the right scales. Many high profile people in the modelling community has tried to help them with all of their issues but they don't listen. If they did and their customer service was better and they had aircraft issues they will still have customers after customers. One of my close friends bought a FB jets small F5. It had a lot of issues. After talking to their customer rep they sent him a whole new plane for nothing. My 1/6 Skymaster f20 broke its wing in flight but I managed to land it in one piece.. They sent me new wings for free and stated the next kit I get off them will be majorly discounted.

FB jets sent me a email saying that they have had a few Mig 21s with stab issues. check mine out and if in doubt they will send out new ones.. Lucky after x-raying mine they are all good...

Customer service is more important than anything!!!!
Old 03-27-2014, 10:06 AM
Flyjets
My Feedback: (51)

Gentleman lets behave nicely I think everyone has made there points.

SkunkWerkz thank you for editing your message.

Ian
Old 04-07-2014, 04:54 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by paulrcpilot-RCU
I do not want to get drug into a dicussion about me or my decision to purchase this aircraft. My decision to purchase was made before I was aware of the reported issues with FEJ. I contacted a felow modeler Lowel Wexler before I persued the purchase of this airframe and he was more than positive about it. After the initial payment I have lived all of the problems with customer service you have all described. Since I am already into this project I would like to see it come to its logical conclusion. Even if I fail I will have tried my best and will not have any regrets. There are good folks on this site that have something to contribute and there are others that for whatever reason have nothing positive to say.

I will not get into the weeds with anyone about my choices, and I will HONESTLY report what happens with the Tornado. If its succesful or not you will all get to know. Paul
1) FEJ has been putting out poorly designed jets since the day they began, nearly 9 years ago. Seeing that you only have about 60 posts so far, I can assume you have not read, or been made aware of these problems that have appeared on RCU, as well as other forums. The more they produce, the more failures there are. In the last 5 years, there has been an epidemic of crashes attributed to their poor design, poor structure, and poor craftsmanship.

2) Your fellow modeler, Lowel Wexler, is a sales rep for FEJ. What do you expect him to say? Sure he'll have a positive attitude about you buying from FEJ ... He gets a commission from that sale.

3) Now that you've waited for 14+ months and have experienced the lies, you have only begun to experience the problems of dealing with FEJ.

4) The only logical conclusion to this will be that;
... a) more problems arise, you do extensive reinforcing to correct only the problems you CAN see, yet the jet still crashes.
... b) the problems are so extensive that the jet never gets built.
... c) you finally realize that you are throwing away good money after bad.

5) The good folks on this site are the people that are telling you to stay away from FEJ

Last edited by Airplanes400; 04-07-2014 at 04:59 AM.