Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bavarian Demon Cortex in a Bandit

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bavarian Demon Cortex in a Bandit

Old 04-01-2014, 01:15 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by George
Goose (Dave),

I turned the HH off in the software on both Modes and verified on the ground. I'll have to go back and look, but I "think" the light is still green in one position, but it isn't "holding" the servos when I move the plane. I'll double-check next time I have it out of the trailer.
Yes, you can make it attitude in either bank.. the colors orange and green simply signify which bank you are using.. the orange bank comes from the factory set as attitude.. all of it can be overridden in the software for more advanced setups.. but you need to look at the relative settings in each bank.. by default, because they are different..

The cool part is a someone can just wire it up, learn it, and go fly.. Danny snuck one in on a friends plane and it was an amazing addition.. .. Bob B has one in his Habu32 and loves it..

Last edited by gooseF22; 04-04-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:23 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gooseF22
Yes, you can make it attitude in either bank.. the colors orange and green simply signify which bank you are using.. the orange bank comes from the factory set as attitude.. all of it can be overridden in the software for more advanced setups.. but you need to look at the relative settings in each bank.. by default, because they are different..

The cool part is a someone can just wire it up, learn it, and go fly.. Bob Belluomini snuck one in on a friends plane and it was an amazing addition.. .. He has one in his Habu32 and loves it..
Ah okay! That makes more sense regarding the light color is indicating the "Bank" being used.

Yeah, Jose does the PNP method all the time. I just wanted a little more flexibility for my set-up.

Thanks for all the info.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:57 PM
totono
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I have one in a turbinator and it is a great adition it forks great have you ever put the gain whit the throtle so wen you have full throttle your gain is low and at low speed your gain is hi?
Old 04-01-2014, 03:59 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dos007
Mine does not say "barbarian demon-a" but it does have a serial number beginning in 30. So is this a newer version or do I need the foam box?
It sounds like you have the new "hoodless" version. But, I don't want to chance giving you bum gouge, so I'd recommend contacting Joachim at: [email protected] He will be able to tell you for sure.

Sluggo
Old 04-01-2014, 05:24 PM
smperry
My Feedback: (4)

I recently bought one, (at Florida Jets), and it looks to be an older version since the bravarianDEMON is written in white, no "A" after it. And I can't find a serial # on the unit.

So to get this straight, I can download and install the v 1.3 firmware and operate it in a turbine powered model without the acoustic hood thingie?

I've read what has been said about orienting the device in the model, but being new to gyros, I have a question about where. Is there a preferred location relative to the model's center of gravity?

sp
Old 04-02-2014, 12:45 AM
Tuggs

Just FYI - I fly several Cortex gyros with the older firmware (1.1 I guess) without the "acoustic hood", even on smaller turbine models with higher RPM (Kolibri micro turbine). From what I've heard and read this hood is only needed for turbine helicopters. I did not observe any kind of swinging-ups even during high speed flight.

You dont have to mount the cortex near the CG, just the correct orientation is important. Either as stated on the installation note or in the configuration software, if you want to mount it in a different direction.

I found the initial setup a bit tricky as there is very little time to go through each axis on the sticks. Very little time between each step, but after a while you get used to it.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:34 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

[QUOTE=mr_matt;I have seen this gyro in action and it is very impressive, but I had not seen anyone having the adjust the gains in flight (manually I mean)

I thought this unit had some magic secret sauce and you did not have to manual change the gains while flying?

Matt

I installed this unit in a friends Electra recently with one gain setting. Model flies on rails at all speeds. He uses a dx8 and wanted it simple so I used a three position switch, determined which side of the switch was rate mode set it to 46%. I set the other side of the switch to 0% effectively turning it off. So he has two off positions and one rate model. After the first flight the gyro NEVER gets turned Off. I never used the PC to set up his gyro. When I teach the gyro in the model during programming mode ensure your control surfaces move the same amount. It really is that easy and simple to program a Cortex.

Last edited by Bob_B; 04-02-2014 at 02:39 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:53 AM
Bob_B

Originally Posted by George
Goose (Dave),

I turned the HH off in the software on both Modes and verified on the ground. I'll have to go back and look, but I "think" the light is still green in one position, but it isn't "holding" the servos when I move the plane. I'll double-check next time I have it out of the trailer.

George are you still using a Futaba TX? If so you can use the gyro menu to control the Cortex gain settings. It's really slick how it works. Switch sequence is Off, rate 1, rate 2

I'm reading a lot of great ideas in this thread.
However, you set up your Cortex make sure you can switch it off.
Should the gyro ever break loose from it's mounting and you can not turn it off,
it will make for a really bad day at the flying field.

Last edited by Bob_B; 04-02-2014 at 04:14 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:10 AM
gooseF22

Originally Posted by Bob_B
George are you still using a Futaba TX? If so you can use the gyro menu to control the Cortex gain settings. It's really slick how it works. Switch sequence is Off, rate 1, rate 2

However you set up your Cortex make sure you can switch it off.
Should the gyro ever break loose from it's mounting and you can not turn it off.
Bob, that is a really good point.. really good.. thanks..

Someone asked the correct orientation..
1. with no changes via the software, put the servo slots forward
2. with software changes, you can orient it any way you want, just gotta tell it..

good stuff

Last edited by gooseF22; 04-02-2014 at 04:17 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:36 AM
mort78
My Feedback: (1)

Goose,
Are you able to advise me of the set by step process to set up the DS16 for use with the Cortex Gains.
I have up until now been just using the 'servo travel' to adjust the gyro gain. For example -40%. I looked at the gyro settings in the DS16, but I didn't have much time to play with it. So I took the easy option.
Cheers,
Mort
Old 04-02-2014, 04:42 AM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't have any experience with programmable gyros in aircraft but I don't think you would ever want the green light (heading hold) to be on in flight. I am surprised it is so easy to get that during programming. It sounds like green doesn't mean GO in this case... Heading hold means that the gyro will try to maintain a heading as long as the stick isn't moved. So if you yaw the model by hand, for instance, the rudder will move left or right to correct and only center when back on the original heading. This will cause very undesirable effects in "uncoordinated" flight. Anytime the ailerons or rudder are commanded at the transmitter independently the gyro will fight to maintain a compass heading with the other flight control surface. This is one of the biggest learning curves with helis. guys are forced to use the yaw and roll controls much more aggressively when heading hold is engaged. But unlike aircraft helis can fly backwards and sideways. Why is the green bank even available?

Last edited by husafreak; 04-02-2014 at 04:51 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:04 AM
George

However, you set up your Cortex make sure you can switch it off.
Should the gyro ever break loose from it's mounting and you can not turn it off,
Yes Bob, I recently upgraded from the 12Z to 18MZ. I briefly looked at the gyro menu, but didn't spend much time trying anything out. Maybe I'll go back and check it out or just have you show me at an event we're both at.

And yes, I can turn it off whenever I need to. This is a must!
Old 04-02-2014, 05:12 AM
George

Originally Posted by husafreak
I don't have any experience with programmable gyros in aircraft but I don't think you would ever want the green light (heading hold) to be on in flight. I am surprised it is so easy to get that during programming. It sounds like green doesn't mean GO in this case... Heading hold means that the gyro will try to maintain a heading as long as the stick isn't moved. So if you yaw the model by hand, for instance, the rudder will move left or right to correct and only center when back on the original heading. This will cause very undesirable effects in "uncoordinated" flight. Anytime the ailerons or rudder are commanded at the transmitter independently the gyro will fight to maintain a compass heading with the other flight control surface. This is one of the biggest learning curves with helis. guys are forced to use the yaw and roll controls much more aggressively when heading hold is engaged. But unlike aircraft helis can fly backwards and sideways. Why is the green bank even available?
As was mentioned earlier, the light only indicates which bank is being used. Yes, the default setting has HH on one bank, but the HH can be disabled with the PC software. If you are using it out of the box as plug & play, then you are correct, you will not want the green light on at anytime.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:07 AM
Bob_B

Using the Futaba Gyro function the LED will only indicate either Red(OFF) or Amber(Rate 1 or 2)

George you will want to go to the GYRO Menu, select "NORMAL" instead of "AVCS" in the gyro function window. You will only use "GYRO ONE" it has three selectable positions.
Then select your switch to control the OFF/Gain settings, Next set the first switch position to 0% (OFF), Nest to XX% (Low Gain) Next to XX% (High Gain)
Verify the LED IS Red/AMBER/ AMBER by moving the switch to each position. You can even ad in a VR (varible Rate) with one of your Sliders.

As usual it is much easier to do this with the TX Handy.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:18 AM
gooseF22

Originally Posted by mort78
Goose,
Are you able to advise me of the set by step process to set up the DS16 for use with the Cortex Gains.
I have up until now been just using the 'servo travel' to adjust the gyro gain. For example -40%. I looked at the gyro settings in the DS16, but I didn't have much time to play with it. So I took the easy option.
Cheers,
Mort
Mort,
Its easier to just use the servo travel initially until you find the magic numbers.. then enable the gain... when you are ready, go over into the DS16 2.4 thread.. I posted basic setup post test flights..

Last edited by gooseF22; 04-02-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:29 AM
George

Using the Futaba Gyro function the LED will only indicate either Red(OFF) or Amber(Rate 1 or 2)

George you will want to go to the GYRO Menu, select "NORMAL" instead of "AVCS" in the gyro function window. You will only use "GYRO ONE" it has three selectable positions.
Then select your switch to control the OFF/Gain settings, Next set the first switch position to 0% (OFF), Nest to XX% (Low Gain) Next to XX% (High Gain)
Verify the LED IS Red/AMBER/ AMBER by moving the switch to each position. You can even ad in a VR (varible Rate) with one of your Sliders.

As usual it is much easier to do this with the TX Handy.
Thanks Bob!
Old 04-03-2014, 06:58 AM
Malcolm H

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So I'm using 2 Futaba Sbus receivers into a Robbe Futaba PSS2018 battery backer. All Sbus servos get fed off backer serial output with backer deciding which Rx input to use dependent on signal quality. Is there a way to use a Demon Cortex to take serial data from receivers as input and output gyro modified serial data to the backer?

Malcolm
Old 04-03-2014, 07:28 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I am using heading hold on my F22 with a different gyro system and love it So it depends on the gyro system you use. Some are designed to fly with heading hold.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:53 AM
gooseF22

Originally Posted by Malcolm H
So I'm using 2 Futaba Sbus receivers into a Robbe Futaba PSS2018 battery backer. All Sbus servos get fed off backer serial output with backer deciding which Rx input to use dependent on signal quality. Is there a way to use a Demon Cortex to take serial data from receivers as input and output gyro modified serial data to the backer?

Malcolm
No Malcolm, it outputs only PWM Servo Data.. It can read an PPM or PWM input .. It uses software to decode the matrix and assign channels, and then creates PWM drivers for the 5 channels to drive a servo directly..

Most folks just plug the cortex inputs into the various servo ports, elevator/aileron/rudder, and use the direct outputs to drive the 5 channels..
Old 04-03-2014, 03:33 PM
husafreak

Thanks gunradd. Off topic alert but how does that work in flight? On your "other" gyro if you try to turn using only elevator and aileron inputs will the rudder try and maintain a compass heading?
I thought maybe the Cortex is a heli gyro being used in aircraft now... I guess I am going to have to try one of these things! I like the Cortex because I am also a heli guy and I love Esprit Models and Danny is great to deal with so this would be the one for me.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:13 PM
jsnipes

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Bavarian Demon has other gyros for heli use ... including flybarless. http://www.bavariandemon.com/en/
Old 04-03-2014, 05:38 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Well with heading hold on the aircraft will always try and keep the heading. So you could go knife edge or inverted and all you would do is roll the plane and let the gyro work I find mine still takes a little input to hold but not much. Only time it gives me trouble is when I am on the ground pushing it backwards it goes nuts. So I turn it off on the ground but from takeoff to landing I am in heading hold mode the entire flight. It really helps when hovering with thrust vectoring also. BTW I am using a cheap eagle tree guardian and its designed to fly with heading hold so this might not work with the cortex not sure.

From what I hear the cortex is awesome and would love to have one. But for now the $55 Guardian is doing me great and I wont fly without a gyro now in my jets.

Thanks gunradd. Off topic alert but how does that work in flight? On your "other" gyro if you try to turn using only elevator and aileron inputs will the rudder try and maintain a compass heading?
I thought maybe the Cortex is a heli gyro being used in aircraft now... I guess I am going to have to try one of these things! I like the Cortex because I am also a heli guy and I love Esprit Models and Danny is great to deal with so this would be the one for me.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:45 PM
husafreak

Those Guardians are very popular at my local field and with some jet flyers I know, and very good! I have a Heli Command Flybarless gyro from the same people. Good stuff. Heading Hold for hovering, kinda makes sense now, thanks.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:49 PM
az3d
My Feedback: (59)

You may want to look into the Bluelight Ice Man Gyro. $80 shipped from Amazon. No I don't work for the company or sell them. You can program it to do almost anything except fly the jet.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:00 PM
gooseF22

we are at Toledo Weak Signals.. the response has been tremendous.. stop by and see the Cortex
,..goose

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.