Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bavarian Demon Cortex in a Bandit

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bavarian Demon Cortex in a Bandit

Old 05-04-2014, 04:36 AM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jsnipes
I really like this idea! Thanks for sharing! I will work my way to using it.

I'm starting to dial in the settings on my Bandit. For the first few flights I used a knob and used either 0% (off) or -20% for the first few flights. Today, all flights at -20% regardless of speed or gear/flap position but I know that I can increase the gain more on slow flight so next time out I will try -30% on flaps down/gear down slow flight and keep the -20% for flaps up/gear up fast flight.

JS
JS, you might find that you want to use a little more gain.. some guys are getting upwards of 40-60% in your setup.. but approach it slowly like you are doing.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:12 PM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by gooseF22
Good question..
the small colored gauge wires are just signal wires.. there has been a lot of discussion about that for bigger jets.. what you can do is this..

The system harness has 2 red/white/black heavy gauge servo wires that power the bus and servos..
Options..
1. Add a servo wire with the signal wire pulled to the Bind port from any power source.(after it its set up and functioning) for more power
2. Add a Y cord downstream to any of the servo wires from any Power source, and it will add to power available for all the 5 ports..
3. If you are using a matchbox downstream (twin rudders), add a power source into one of the numbered ports and it will also back power and add to power available..
Thanks for the information Goose.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:35 PM
jsnipes
My Feedback: (3)

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

JS, you might find that you want to use a little more gain.. some guys are getting upwards of 40-60% in your setup.. but approach it slowly like you are doing.
Thanks, Goose! Will do!

About 8 - 10 mph direct cross wind today and things were pretty uneventful.

JS
Old 05-04-2014, 09:20 PM
LA jetguy

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

In my Bandit MKII , I have my cortex gain set based on flight modes.... Take off is at -65%..... Flight is at -45%.... And landing at -75% gain... Works perfect...

One word of caution is that BVM jets show a little wing "waggle" when they are too slow... With the best gyro on the market (the Cortex gyro) that "waggle" is eliminated... So you have to be carful not to get too slow in a landing pattern... Keep a little power till you like what's under your wheels ...

David

Last edited by LA jetguy; 05-04-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:08 AM
gooseF22

Guys using the DX18 for the cortex, If you use the Gyro menu, remember to set the gyro to the gyro type Heli on the page 2 of gyro menu for the cortex..

this allows you to use 0 to -100% for the normal att mode only, and not push the gains out for the 370A JR gyro for instance..

Just FYI..
Old 05-05-2014, 06:53 PM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Goose, Maybe you can help me...Cant get my gyro to enter set up mode..it seems like it starts up ok, Servos jerk etc...But then the light stays red ( 3 position switch is in the middle at zero) If i move switch to -100 or + 100, light stays green, on both ends..All servos work at this point in right direction..But nothing from gyro..Any ideas??? I did try setup in normal (rate) mode..but same thing..
Old 05-05-2014, 07:58 PM
gooseF22

Originally Posted by KFX450
Goose, Maybe you can help me...Cant get my gyro to enter set up mode..it seems like it starts up ok, Servos jerk etc...But then the light stays red ( 3 position switch is in the middle at zero) If i move switch to -100 or + 100, light stays green, on both ends..All servos work at this point in right direction..But nothing from gyro..Any ideas??? I did try setup in normal (rate) mode..but same thing..

Turn off power..
Make sure all signal wires are facing the inner part of the gyro case
make sure all your harness wires are plugged in properly..recheck the color coded wires too.. Gray wire is gain..
insert the bind plug into port 1 top port.. make sure its seated.. If you have trouble getting it in there, then use a short servo wire and plug the bind plug into that..

when it enters learn mode, it will bump twice and be ready to program with green flashing lights...
If you do nothing, it will go thru the program sequence itself, and end up with flashing green series..
IF you are getting solid lights, then it didn't enter bind mode..

also, if you are getting stead green with gain, then something isn't correct, either your transmitter or some wire crossed, or output reversed.. recheck everything... even when its not programmed, the red/orange/green lights will show the banks / gain you are getting.. You have to have "negative output, or a Pulse width of Less than 1500 uSec to get into orange bank.. maybe your signal gain wire is in the receiver backwards.. been done before...
I have never had one fail to enter bind mode yet.. hmmm... make sure the plug is seated.. I just pulled one out of the box and programmed to make sure.. it took literally 2 min to install, 1 min to program.. you will get it..

Last edited by gooseF22; 05-05-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:10 PM
KFX450

Thanks goose. I got it. I had a moment. Had the bind plug on wrong side. I'm up too late doing it. Lol. But it works have it all set up. Trying it in morning. Thanks for replying!!!!
Old 05-06-2014, 06:34 AM
KFX450

After having my idiot moments with this thing, I got it all set up last night..Put it in a 3DHS 62 Osiris..Ive had the last 3 days off, Sunday didn't fly, way to windy, Monday I put the plane up twice, but on the second time, barley got it down as the wind was so bad. So today I went for a couple of flights, wind was still bad. Got it up to a safe altitude and the plane was all over the place because of the wind..Stuck it in rate mode and it flew unbelievable with a flip of the switch..I have to say Im really impressed with how easy this thing was to set up and get ready for flight..I stayed away from gyros because I didn't want to deal with it..But, Im definitely buying 2 more for my 8S Bu32 , and my futura..Cant wait to see how locked in it is when the wind dies down..Im hooked!!!
Old 05-06-2014, 07:34 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

Great report KFX450! The Cortex is makes the model fly so much nicer, reducing pilot load on those really crappy days.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:09 AM
smperry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my Cortex installed in a Ziroli Panther. I had the model all trimmed out and flying well when my 12X died on me. I now have an 11X. The model still needs to be re-maidened and trimmed before I try to use the gyro. The gyro is on it's own channel and a slider switch is assigned to that channel. Can I set the slider to the center detent and have pass through or should I remove the cable harness and re-connect the servos to the Rx directly until I have the model trimmed and I'm ready to set up the gyro. So far i have not even powered up the gyro.
sp
Old 05-09-2014, 08:14 PM
gooseF22

Originally Posted by smperry
I have my Cortex installed in a Ziroli Panther. I had the model all trimmed out and flying well when my 12X died on me. I now have an 11X. The model still needs to be re-maidened and trimmed before I try to use the gyro. The gyro is on it's own channel and a slider switch is assigned to that channel. Can I set the slider to the center detent and have pass through or should I remove the cable harness and re-connect the servos to the Rx directly until I have the model trimmed and I'm ready to set up the gyro. So far i have not even powered up the gyro.
sp
Yes,
If the gain is set to 1500 uSec, or the Center position, and the red light is on.. the cortex is a full pass through signal wise..

Sliders are a little difficult to set gain.. somewhat sloppy.. recommend a knob for first couple flights.. but it will work..

Just make sure you are accessing the correct bank (orange) using (- % throws.. )

Set up the gyro and learn it before you fly, just fly the first trim flights with it off (red)
Old 05-10-2014, 02:05 AM
smperry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Goose

My 11X doesn't have knobs, so a slider will have to do.
I have it set up and ready to fly, but won't get a chance until next weekend. I suppose a piece of tape over the slider will prevent any accidental activation of the gyro while we get the model trimmed out again.
sp
Old 09-12-2014, 05:54 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_B
It does not get any easier than this, select a three position switch for the gyro gain. Move it each direction and determine in which position the gyro LED glows green (Hold Mode) set that side of the switch in you ATV to ZERO, now you will have two off postions. Flip the switch to the side that make the LED glow Amber set that side of the switch to 40%. Next, Program the Gyro,have your control surfaces move the same amount during the programming step. VERIFY the gyro is responding correctly. You do this by lifting a wing tip and the aileron will follow your hand to compensate, do the same with the rudder and elevator the surface SHOULD ALWAYS follow your hand movement.

With gyro off for the T/O climb to a safe altitude and activate the gyro enjoy the flight, it is that simple. Once you get comfortable you can do more advanced programming.
Bob,

So with this method, the 3 position switch is setup before the gyro is programmed, then you go though the blinking light/control throw sequence. Do I have that right?

With 40% ATV, what gyro gain does that correspond to? If you want to set up the other side "off" switch position to a lower gain, what would be a good starting ATV?

FYI, I'm putting one in my big Futura and trying to decide if I should use the built in Gyro feature on my 12X or this "easy" method.

Thanks,

Craig
Old 09-12-2014, 06:13 AM
Bob_B

It is NOT Necessary to have a switch assigned prior to teaching the (Programming) the gyro your radio setup.

"With 40% ATV, what gyro gain does that correspond to?" You need to look at your servo monitor to see the actual output, at 40% ATV, I see an output of 83 on my servo monitor.
If you want to set up the other side "off" switch position to a lower gain, what would be a good starting ATV? 20%, BUT I suggest you use the the Demon software and set Bank 2 to Rate mode first!

FYI, I'm putting one in my big Futura and trying to decide if I should use the built in Gyro feature on my 12X or this "easy" method. I did not could not get the Gyro feature on the JR to work the same as Futaba.

Craig IF you are 100% comfortable with setting up the Cortex go with Harley's settings. I suggest if you are doing this on your own you have a way to turn the Gyro on/off "Just in Case" for those first flights

I sent you a PM with contact info.
Bob
Old 09-12-2014, 07:33 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Great info here. Two questions. Why do you have to turn expo off? Isn't that going to change the way we personally like the inputs to be translated? I am thinking about putting this in a rookie with bi-directional thrust vector. Can I set up those two in HH and put the ailerons on non-HH?
Old 09-12-2014, 07:43 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DrScoles
Great info here. Two questions. Why do you have to turn expo off? Isn't that going to change the way we personally like the inputs to be translated? I am thinking about putting this in a rookie with bi-directional thrust vector. Can I set up those two in HH and put the ailerons on non-HH?
It is suggested to turn Expo off or reduce your current setting (depending how much you use) because the Cortex will inherently "feel" softer in the middle once it's on. I did not notice much difference on my ailerons, but definitely felt the "softer" elevator when making a turn and pulling. I have since gotten used to the feel, but it is definitely different with the gyro On.

You could always couple different Expo percentages with the gyro gain switch so when the gyro is On, it automatically reduces your Expo and when Off, it goes back to your original settings. It would take some messing around with the values to make the plane feel the same in all conditions. I pretty much fly with one gain setting in my SW now, so I haven't messed with it again.

Regarding the HH and non-HH? You can make one bank Rate mode and the other bank HH, and do some "custom" gains with the PC, but I'm not sure you can have both modes on at the same time. Someone with a much deeper knowledge of the software will have to tackle this. Bob B?

Last edited by George; 09-12-2014 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Forgot the second part of your post.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:15 AM
Bob_B

Originally Posted by DrScoles

Yes you can customize the entire Gyro setup in both banks using the software, I suggest using the copy function and Copy Bank 1 to bank 2 and the then set the functions you want to hold or rate modes.
btw if you are a Futaba user you can use the Gyro menu and select "Normal" to enable bank 1 and "AVCS" to enable bank 2 then you can have three different gain settings and any combination of rate and hold modes
Old 09-13-2014, 11:38 AM
gooseF22

a technique I used is:

When you set up the gyro, put your most commonly used expo setting under your Low rates switch, with the throw commonly used, and set your High rate to an expo setting of half your low expo, and double your throw at low. (but no more than max throw)

Bind the cortex in high rates.. take off in Low.. then when you are ready switch the gain on or add about 20% t start and go to high rates.. you should not feel a ton of difference.. then increment the gain until it "locks' in.. its hard to describe, but easy to recognize.. we did this on a habu 32 last week.. dialed in the plane in one flight..
Old 09-13-2014, 11:52 AM
Bob_B

Goose the Cortex does not get "bound" what are you implying in your post.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:53 AM
gooseF22

Goose the Cortex does not get "bound" what are you implying in your post.
Learned, programmed, with jumper plug

Stick the thingy in the thingy slot, and aileron, elevator, and rudder, etc.. lights.. bump once then twice... lots of green and orange and red..
Old 09-13-2014, 11:58 AM
Bob_B

George you can customize each axis with the PC.
Presently I have bank 1 mode set to all rate. Bank 2 elevator and rudder set to rate mode and ailerons set to hold.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:02 PM
Bob_B

Learned, programmed, with jumper plug

Stick the thingy in the thingy slot, and aileron, elevator, and rudder, etc.. lights.. bump once then twice... lots of green and orange and red..
Oh that ...... Got it.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:24 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

George you can customize each axis with the PC.
Presently I have bank 1 mode set to all rate. Bank 2 elevator and rudder set to rate mode and ailerons set to hold.
Bob,

I just haven't been around to "mess" with mine all that much so I wasn't 100% sure, but I figured you wold know. That's good info. The Cortex is very flexible and allows many options! :thumbs up
Old 09-14-2014, 06:41 AM
gooseF22

There is another technique floating around, we tested at top gun..

Just go into the software and switch all Bank 2 to rate normal mode, but leave the numbers stock.. It was used for takeoff and landing mode.. so in cruise we were in bank one with 40 gain bank 1, and in takeoff and landing, we were in 40 gain bank 2. It worked very well locking in the hard to fly scale birds..

To test it, we put a kill gyro mix in as follows: free mix Gain to Gain, -100%.. so when you flip the enabling switch, the gain cancels itself out and the red light comes on.. effectively kills the gyro... we put the gain on a centering knob, to determine the amount.. it ends up being 30-50 on most planes..

Deltas like the Rafale and such, require more rudder gain, so in general we max out the rudder channel with them..

Overall, we haven't customized the numbers much from stock.., so in most cases, its plug, learn, program gain control, and try it out..

You play with the expo to liven or soften it up, as well as learning it in low rate aileron if the ailerons are too fast (i.e. CARF Flash) for instance..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.