Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bavarian Demon Cortex in a Bandit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bavarian Demon Cortex in a Bandit

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 11:58 AM
monkeyking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Goose
Can you please tell us if its safe to use the Cortex in HH mode on jets or not for normal flying??
People in some threads say that we DON'T have to use HH mode (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2258312)

I am waiting for mine to install it in my jet (Ultra Flash) and I don't see the problem to use it in HH mode for some maneuvers, like to do perfect rolls or knife edge...

Thanks.-

Last edited by monkeyking; 10-08-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:12 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by monkeyking
Hi Goose
Can you please tell us if its safe to use the Cortex in HH mode on jets or not for normal flying??
People in some threads say that we DON'T have to use HH mode (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2258312)

I am waiting for mine to install it in my jet (Ultra Flash) and I don't see the problem to use it in HH mode for some maneuvers, like to do perfect rolls or knife edge...

Thanks.-
You can use HH mode, but I suggest you set only on axis of control at a time to HH mode and see how it feels to you. You will need to use the PC connection to do this.
I presently have my ailerons on bank two set to HH mode it works fine but it does feel different!
Old 10-08-2014, 12:20 PM
monkeyking

Thank you Bob for you response.
I did not see a video like this yet with a Cortex, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_-IMFKdMRc (it would be nice if some Cortex user can do it )

To respond to one of my doubts... that behavior is achieved in HH mode, isn't it??
Old 10-08-2014, 12:41 PM
Bob_B

YES in HH Mode
Old 10-08-2014, 06:18 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i concur with BobB
Old 10-09-2014, 11:34 PM
Ragz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been using the cortex since the last few days on a 100cc aerobat. Setup was easy. But I don't know how one can do slow rolls and point rolls using the HH mode. As we know the gyro fights the user inputs. It is happiest doing hovers and harriers in HH mode... nothing else. Atleast in the 6 flights i have had with my aerobatic plane this is what I have figured out. My normal gain is set at 12% and the HH gain is set at 50%...

I use iGyros on all my jets and I can do point rolls and slow rolls using that even on the FM3 switch (which is the HH mode). I think in the iGyro only the rudder is goes into HH mode...??
Old 03-01-2015, 04:27 AM
Falcon 64

Originally Posted by gooseF22
what you would do is eventually have different gain settings for your flight modes, with the flight mode switch controlling the master gain.. thats what we do on our jets too.. same idea.. we use more gain for slow speed than high speed in general..
So when the three position switch for flight-modes is used to control the Cortex, you mean the three position switch is centered in normal mode, and flipped either from or towards you to get take-off or landing mode, to correspond with the three settings on the Cortex, as off is in the middle?
I have my flight-modes like this, normal flight- switch flipped forward, landing mode in the middle and landing-mode flipped towards me.
I need to change this to normal flight is switch in the middle? About to learn a Jeti DS16, not quite familiar with it yet though..
Old 03-01-2015, 04:43 AM
Bob_B

Goose is using the flap switch as Flight Modes switch, you can set up 3 different gains on the Cortex. He also has a master switch that allows him to turn off the cortex too.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:38 AM
Falcon 64

Ahaa...☺
Many thanks!
Old 03-01-2015, 05:54 AM
Falcon 64

So in theory, I could have as many flight-modes as I want, and then just vary the amount of input for the Cortex on each of those flightmodes.
And switch it off with another switch..brilliant!
Not just default normal- off-heading hold, as a threeway-switch would do.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:37 AM
Bob_B

Exactly, you can even have selective heading hold on any axis by switching to bank 2 using the AVCS setting on a Futaba radio.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:02 AM
gooseF22

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Goose is using the flap switch as Flight Modes switch, you can set up 3 different gains on the Cortex. He also has a master switch that allows him to turn off the cortex too.
Exactly right.
The master switch/knob uses a mix Gain to Gain, of -100%.. so it mixes the output back on itself and nulls out the output to the gyro, and the red light will come on no matter what the actual mode/gain is.. Thanks to Jim McEwen for that mix.. If you are using modes or mixes to control gain, it gives you a specific way to kill the gyro in case you mix something bad, or if it came loose, or something like that..

When Im flying the early flights determining the gain, I have the gain on a knob.. Once that gain is determined for each mode, I lock them into the mode switch.. I flew all season last year like that.. the jeti radio will announce the knob percent, so its easy to know how much gain you are putting in.. sweet.

If you have too much gain, you will usually see it oscillate.. If that happens to you, gently load the plane, smooth pull up or something like that.. slow down, and reduce the gain.. a gentle load with the power back will load the flight control and have less gyro input.. gentle..

With smaller/foamies, big trainers.. big birds, in windy conditions, you may see it oscillate or fight the wind.. I flew it in my trojan in 25mph winds to test it.. the servos are slower, so it might not react well at times.. you can in that situation slow down the update rate with a computer.. then try again later.. I found that the stock settings work pretty well with about 40-60% gain in foamies max.. the stiffer the plane, the better the servos, the more gain it can handle in general terms, but the design of the plane factors in.. also what factors in is your expo setting.. the gyro needs a reduced setting .so when I set up a new gyro, I use a high and low expo.. take off in high expo, turn on the gain, then switch to low expo.. the feel should stay pretty consistent

have fun.. I have put the cortex in almost all my planes.. it makes even fun birds a hoot to fly.. Its interest to see a large trainer knife edge and hover.. lol..

Last edited by gooseF22; 03-01-2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:14 AM
Falcon 64

Useful and informative!
I ordered two with extra wiring from Esprit yesterday.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:08 AM
DEMONjoe

Obviously all went well....no further questions Let us know in case.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:07 AM
Quandry

Originally Posted by monkeyking
Thank you Bob for you response.
I did not see a video like this yet with a Cortex, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_-IMFKdMRc (it would be nice if some Cortex user can do it )

To respond to one of my doubts... that behavior is achieved in HH mode, isn't it??
Nice video and good way to explain it. I see a lot of folks saying "Don't try HH on your jet", is there really a problem here with the Cortex or will it perform the same if setup properly?
Old 04-07-2015, 09:47 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Heading hold is strange if you've never used it before. If you are doing something like hovering and torque rolling its great. I personally (and i have a lot of experience messing with gyros) would not use it to fly around. If you try it, try it up high and be able to switch it off.

As for a comment above, the Cortex does NOT fight control inputs.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:20 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by mr_matt
I have seen this gyro in action and it is very impressive, but I had not seen anyone having the adjust the gains in flight (manually I mean)

I thought this unit had some magic secret sauce and you did not have to manual change the gains while flying?

Do they have any plans to add an speed sensor to set the gains automatically?
Matt,
As I indicated in a different thread, Dustin set the gains on my "Fly Navy" KingCat while I flew the jet. It was very simple, and worked out perfectly!
Old 04-07-2015, 07:29 PM
qd25

Hi Guys
I'm waiting for my Cortex gyro it should be here any day now.I will run it in a Comparf 2 x 2 running 35cc MLD motor.
I have a question when you setup the gyro in the plane does the craft have to be level if so how do you determine when the plane is level ?
Thanks
Old 04-08-2015, 04:35 AM
BarracudaHockey

The gyro has to be level with the airframe. The gyro doesn't have to be level in reference to the ground while being setup or initialized. It doesn't know what "level" is in that regard.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:15 PM
qd25

Thanks for your reply. I'm still a little confused.
I found this setup video and at around 2.27 minutes it says that the cortex has to be level with the motor angle....I don't quite understand what he means

https://youtu.be/qFwcWuYXF2Q
Old 04-12-2015, 07:27 AM
JimBrown
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, a weird term to use. He's talking about the pitch axis.

When installing a 3 axis gyro, one wants to install it as close to the center of the aircraft as is practical, and as level as practical to each axis (pitch, yaw, roll.) It's not critical that the gyro be perfectly lined up with each axis, as they will tolerate a fair degree of error.

...jim
Old 04-13-2015, 04:35 AM
BarracudaHockey

Actually, its not that important at all for the gyro to be near the center, but it is important for them to be lined up with the axis.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:51 AM
qd25

I have just received my Cortex. So if I take my prop off and put a level on my prop shaft and line it up that way it should work ?
Thanks
Old 04-13-2015, 11:58 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you're worrying a bit too much about the exact orientation. You just want it to be 'level' and perpendicular to the models axis.

The prop might have downthrust and sidethrust so you might not be any better off than doing it by eye. If you have a 'flat' servo tray with some spare room then put it on that. If not' just install it so that it looks flat and is square in the fuselage. Pay attention to the orientation shown in the manual and if you can't install it that way round then you will need to adjust the orientation settings using the PC cable.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:22 PM
gooseF22

its funny, you could actually install it on a wing tip and it would work properly as long as the axis were lined up close.. angular acceleration is the same no matter how far the distance from the center of rotation.. so just get it lined up best you can with the axis on X, Y, and Z. Like Jim said, it will handle a fair amount of error..