Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Bavarian Demon Cortex in a Bandit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Bavarian Demon Cortex in a Bandit

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 08:39 AM
jsnipes
My Feedback: (3)

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Bavarian Demon Cortex in a Bandit

Is anyone using a Cortex in a Bandit? I'm finishing one up and was just wondering the gain that you are using during T/O and Landing, normal flight, high speed flight, etc.

I plan to put it on a knob for the first few flights to dial it in before putting gain values in flight modes, but thought I'd ask for a ballpark reference.

Jamie
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	BanditTogether.JPG
Views:	885
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	1982442   Click image for larger version

Name:	BanditRigging.jpg
Views:	1189
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	1982443  
Old 03-29-2014, 12:09 PM
RBardin
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jamie,
I'll be putting one in a SB I'm trying to get finished up as well. My board layout is pretty much done, but I need to know the best physical orientation for it. If it will work in any attitude, I want to mount it vertically since space is at a premium in the Bandits. Anyone know?

I hope these gyros are as good as I hear. It may be too new/early in the season for much setup info. yet, but please post what you find out if it doesn't get posted.

Nice install, and I like that scheme!
Old 03-29-2014, 12:29 PM
jsnipes

Thanks for the comments!

You can change the mounting orientation in the software so you should have no problem mounting it vertical. E.g. I change the front/back orientation so I could have the wires coming in adjacent to the receiver.

I have been testing it for about a month in an aerobatic plane and it has been fantastic! I expect very good results and have heard good things from other jet flyers.

JS
Old 03-29-2014, 06:22 PM
mort78
My Feedback: (1)

Jamie, if you contact a forum user called GooseF22, from memory he was using it in a Bandit. I also believe LAjetguy does as well.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:50 AM
jsnipes

Thanks, Mort78!
Old 03-30-2014, 10:00 PM
LA jetguy

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Jaime,

I'm using the cortex gyro in all my jets... The BVM bandit MKII is set at 45% gain for cruise mode 60% gain for take off and 70% for landing. Those setting have worked well for the bandit MKII. I lowered the cruise mode since I noticed at extreme high speed the ailerons were vibrating too much.

One note of caution... BVM bandits when too slow in landing mode have a little wing waggle indicating need for more power... With cortex gyro that "wing waggle" is gone so you have to be careful not to get it too slow.... Ouch.. Been there!!!!!!

You have the best gyro on the current market... Enjoy it and try the knife edge with the bandit...

David
Old 03-30-2014, 10:05 PM
LA jetguy

Originally Posted by RBardin
Jamie,
I'll be putting one in a SB I'm trying to get finished up as well. My board layout is pretty much done, but I need to know the best physical orientation for it. If it will work in any attitude, I want to mount it vertically since space is at a premium in the Bandits. Anyone know?

I hope these gyros are as good as I hear. It may be too new/early in the season for much setup info. yet, but please post what you find out if it doesn't get posted.

Nice install, and I like that scheme!
RBardin... The cortex gyro can be mounted vertically... You have to connect through the PC using the Bavarian software for the cortex gyro and indicate the position of the installation.. You can also indicate the type of servos you are controlling.. Analog or digital.. DONT FORGET TO SAVE THE CHANGES TO THE GYRO BEFORE YOU QUIT THE SOFTWARE...

David
Old 03-31-2014, 03:52 AM
jsnipes

LA jetguy, thanks for the info! Are your gain values that you mention from your Tx output (only) and you left the internal (software) gain settings for each axis at the default settings? Also, did you change the stick priority values in the software?

Thanks!

JS
Old 03-31-2014, 06:21 AM
dos007
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you guys removing expo when using the gyro?
Old 03-31-2014, 06:58 AM
Don Perry
My Feedback: (51)

I have one in my large SM Hawk.

My cruise gain is around 30% and yes it will soften the feel of the airplane so I removed expo to compensate.

Also once you fly the plane a few times you can go into the menu and adjust the gain up or down for individual control surfaces to fine tune.

Very good gyro.

Don
Old 03-31-2014, 08:31 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have seen this gyro in action and it is very impressive, but I had not seen anyone having the adjust the gains in flight (manually I mean)

I thought this unit had some magic secret sauce and you did not have to manual change the gains while flying?

Do they have any plans to add an speed sensor to set the gains automatically?
Old 03-31-2014, 09:13 AM
Don Perry

I have mine set up on a rotary knob to adjust. once happy i disable it and move the gain control to the gear switch so it has my cruise gain in gear up and then a higher gain for gear down.

I also have a igyro and it is the only one that adjusts the gain automatically via speed.

Don
Old 03-31-2014, 02:56 PM
roger.alli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Super Bandit fitted with Weatronics gyros on rudder/nose wheel and Ailerons. On rudder I use 20% and 10% gain for takeoff/cruise, and on Aileron it is set at 15% and 7.5%. This seems to be all that is needed..

I set it up like Don did by using a rotary knob during the first few flights, then switching the gain control to the gear switch when happy with the settings.

I find the gyro really does smooth out the model, especially in gusty conditions. But, it is subtle, you don’t need very much.

I still use a little expo on Ailerons.

Roger
Old 03-31-2014, 04:49 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread...timely, too. I just got one for my Viper Jet, but have not installed it yet.

BTW, I saw some stuff about needing a $40 piece of foam called an "acoustic hood" if using the Cortex in a turbine-powered machine. I contacted Bavarian, and Joachim got back to me. In newer gyros the hood is not needed. To determine if you have the "new improved" version, look down at the circuit board edge below the servo plug pins. If it says "bavariandemon-a" in gold writing on the board, you have the new version and no pricey piece of foam is needed. Also, the new version serial number starts with "30", i.e 30.xx.xx

Sluggo
Old 03-31-2014, 05:33 PM
jsnipes

Sluggo ... glad you brought up the "hood". I was also told "not needed" on new ones but was wondering before I asked the question.

It's been the cat's meow in my testing on a prop aerobatic plane...can't wait to give it a go in the Bandit!

Still wondering if these gains being reported or simply the gain from the Tx (I think so) or the product of the Tx gain times the internally programmed axis gain. Is everyone leaving the internal gains for each axis at the default setting? What about stick priority setting?

JS
Old 03-31-2014, 06:16 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Perry
I have mine set up on a rotary knob to adjust. once happy i disable it and move the gain control to the gear switch so it has my cruise gain in gear up and then a higher gain for gear down.

I also have a igyro and it is the only one that adjusts the gain automatically via speed.

Don
Thanks Don, BTW the gyrobot wing has speed sensor as well, it uses airspeed. Very expensive though
Old 03-31-2014, 06:30 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You cannot compare your gains in other gyros to the Bavarian Cortex, because it uses a factory set of conservative gains (that can be changed), so in general, the "master gain" will be a higher setting than your JR/Futuba servo uses in general.. The master gain must be a "negative value" i.e. less than 1500 uSec, for attitude mode. The values are based on settings from 1000 uSec -1500 uSec.. in your transmitter.. It also depends on how much throw you use when you program it..

We are finding its not unusual to use -50% master gain for people that before used 20% to 30% gain on a single channel.

The cortex is very configurable for orientation and modes via software.. but the cool thing is it will also work out of the box, with a simple programming step, it learns the model and you can plug and play.. It will learn which channel is roll/pitch/yaw, and it has 5 outputs and five inputs that can be used in any combination you want. the most common is dual elevators, dual ailerons and rudder, or dual ailerons, dual rudders, and an elevator..

Danny Melnik is the US rep for the Cortex, at www.demonaero.com, and he is very knowledgeable about it.. It is a superb piece of equipment.. He goes by "F1Rocket" on RCunverse

Last edited by gooseF22; 03-31-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:41 PM
dos007
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine does not say "barbarian demon-a" but it does have a serial number beginning in 30. So is this a newer version or do I need the foam box?
Old 03-31-2014, 11:23 PM
LA jetguy

I'm glad GooseF22 chimed in (Thanks Dave).... Yes you have to remove all expo when the gyro gain is active. Also be careful when adjusting gain you should see an amber light on the cortex... If you see green light you are in head hold mode.. Red light means gyro is off..

I'm using a Jeti DS16 and that has a function which works very well with the cortex gyro... I have a switch to turn on and off the gain and the gain is flight mode dependent..

If you have bought your cortex gyro in this year , late December and early January you have the new version and the foam hood is not required... Also the new ones come with firmware 1.3 which the current firmware...

Again... Best gyro on the current market and easy to setup..
Old 04-01-2014, 06:40 AM
RBardin
My Feedback: (27)

A lot of good info. here, answered all my questions, and more. I like the idea of moving the gains to the gear switch, very smart. My first intention was to do what JSnipes did and put it a 50cc aerobatic plane just to get it figured out, but I don't think thats necessary now. I'd end up wanting one in both planes
Old 04-01-2014, 07:13 AM
Don Perry

The last firmware update removed the need for the foam hood. I have one but have never installed it, and it worked fine for me with out the hood before and after the firmware update.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:43 AM
LA jetguy

Originally Posted by RBardin
A lot of good info. here, answered all my questions, and more. I like the idea of moving the gains to the gear switch, very smart. My first intention was to do what JSnipes did and put it a 50cc aerobatic plane just to get it figured out, but I don't think thats necessary now. I'd end up wanting one in both planes
During the initial setup of the Cortex i would dedicate a switch only to the cortex so you can turn it off without effecting other functions.. Once everything is "dialed-in" and happy with the gain settings then I will incorporate it into the gear switch. I personally have it on the Dual Rate switch so when the gyro is off my expo will become active and when the gyro is on my Expo will go to zero...
Old 04-01-2014, 12:15 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have yet to fly mine as well, but I initially set it up on a 3-position switch. Pos 0 = "higher" gain, Pos 1 = OFF, Pos 2 = "lower" gain. When the Cortex is ON (P1 or P2) all mixing and expo is off. When the Cortex is OFF, all mixing and expo is enabled and the pane is set-up just like it was before it was installed. I did this as a safety feature for myself "just in case". Once the it is dialed in, I'll probably do the gear switch or flight mode method.

I also did all set up through the software.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:02 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What we found the easiest way is to put it on a rotating knob, reverse it, and set the throws to -75% and 0%, so that the value output will be less than 1500 uSec.

This way you can get it dialed in one or two flights.. just start w knob at full left (red light on... 0-Gain).. then slowly dial it up as you do some passes.. then land and take note of where it is.. once satisfied, move it to whatever mode/switch you want.. remember to only use the attitude bank(orange).. this lets you bail out and zero it out if needed..

Then for landing add about 10-15 percent for flying slow speeds as good starting place..

As discussed above, the gyro is at Zero gain in the middle position.. (servo centered=1500 uSec).. the only way to use it is with negative values or DECREASING from 1500 uSec.(orange). The gain percent is linear from 1-100% based on a 1000-1500 uSec Throw.. IF you let the gain go above the center its in heading hold..and the light goes green...

I know this has been over stated, but its the most important operational step..

Also the gyro has a specific way to orient it in the plane unless you alter it in software.

Go see Danny, Joe, myself, and the guys at Toledo and you can put your hands on one and check it out.. Bavarian Demon and Espritmodels are together in one section...
Old 04-01-2014, 01:13 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Goose (Dave),

I turned the HH off in the software on both Modes and verified on the ground. I'll have to go back and look, but I "think" the light is still green in one position, but it isn't "holding" the servos when I move the plane. I'll double-check next time I have it out of the trailer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.