Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Futaba 18MZ telemetry wishlist and discussion

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Futaba 18MZ telemetry wishlist and discussion

Old 03-29-2014, 01:35 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Futaba 18MZ telemetry wishlist and discussion

Like many 18MZ users, I have really enjoyed using this radio, and have been delighted with the capabilities of the telemetry system. I've been migrating each of my airplanes from the 6014 to 7008 so that I can use telemetry functions.

It has been great to see the new sensors being released by Futaba here in the US and Robbe/Futaba in Europe .. and it's spawned a great ecosystem of aftermarket products we can use with the Sbus2 input, such as the projects Carsten has been showing us recently such as the ASSI system, and Gaspar's very nice telemetry adapter for Xicoy ECUs.

My hope is that Futaba sees this growing interest and growing partner movement of compatible sensors as a driver of more utility and popularity of their products in our community.

As I've been using the telemetry system, a few ideas keep coming up ... some from my own use and some from others on the forum here. I'd like to get a discussion going and hopefully our friends from Futaba will take notice and perhaps we can see the good ideas in a future release of the 18MZ firmware.

Here are a few to start:

1) It would be great to have some way to "arm" a sensor alarm so it would not start alerting until armed. The system should wake up with the arming-enabled alarms in a standby state. For example, if we have a pitot/static airspeed sensor set to a minimum safe airspeed, you would not want it to be armed until just after takeoff .. you don't want it buzzing away while taxiiing out. Then once it goes off, you might have it sound for a limited time, or shut off when acknowledged (see next idea) Similar thoughts for other parameters, e.g. turbine pump voltage or exhaust gas temp being used as flame-out warnings - you get the idea.

2) Once an alarm goes off, it would be good to have some way to acknowledge it and shut it off. Think of a low-fuel sensor reading data from the turbine ECU link. Perhaps using the trainer momenty switch as an "ack".

3) This one might be reaching a little .. but ... how about a way to use a telemetry function to cause some action back to the control system .. e.g. act like a switch or be part of a mix or an offset mix. Think of a plane with Carsten's new air pressure sensor .. reading out on the TX screen .. with a low-pressure alarm that also causes the gear to lower. A telemetry-enabled gear failsafe.

4) How about some "generic" sensor types. Today, the folks who make third party telemetry sensors can only use the built-in sensor types (e.g. air pressure in PSI reading out as temperature in degrees C). Could we have a generic sensor type where we can enter the text string for the units, and do some simple scaling (e.g. output = input * A + B) where we can set A and B. This will cover a lot of cases and be really really nice!

Please let us know your thoughts, as well as perhaps tell us some interesting ways you are using telemetry today.

thanks
Dave McQueeney
Old 03-29-2014, 06:00 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks Dave, this should be a very helpful thread indeed.

i have two very simple wishes:
1) A Futaba fuel flow/fuel used sensor
2) A Futaba watts/amps/amps remaining sensor

if neither of the above, then I'd like the bpname of a US Robbe distributor.

Jeti already has their poop together on this stuff, and I'm feeling let down by my 18mz, as nice as it is.

Thanks all!

Don
Old 03-29-2014, 06:15 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just want it to be easier to program! The instructions suck...wait..... Not sure there are any...lol. I b
ought three sensors for my corsair, not looking forward to programming them all in.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:50 PM
ww2birds

Originally Posted by highhorse

Jeti already has their poop together on this stuff, and I'm feeling let down by my 18mz, as nice as it is.

Thanks all!

Don
Hi Don,

Most of the telemetry sensors that do fuel data (that I have seen) read it from the ECU .. you can do that with Gaspar's ECU and also Jetcat on the 18MZ. For amps, the only sensor Robbe/Futaba offers that I know of is meant for main motor batteries on electrics and has too large a full scale current reading to be very accurate on RX or ECU batts .. but I think Carsten might chime in here on what he can do with his ASSI.

Dave
Old 03-30-2014, 07:24 AM
highhorse

Originally Posted by ww2birds
Hi Don,

Most of the telemetry sensors that do fuel data (that I have seen) read it from the ECU .. you can do that with Gaspar's ECU and also Jetcat on the 18MZ. For amps, the only sensor Robbe/Futaba offers that I know of is meant for main motor batteries on electrics and has too large a full scale current reading to be very accurate on RX or ECU batts .. but I think Carsten might chime in here on what he can do with his ASSI.

Dave
thanks Dave. I don't want a sensor that makes guesstimates from the ECU based upon pump voltage, I'd rather have a genuine fuel flow measurement. It's been done elsewhere, just not by Futaba. Secondly, the amps/watts sensor I want is primarily for electric powered planes. Again, its done elsewhere but Futaba has dropped the ball on this as well. They offer a volts sensor, which is useless in electrics or for 123 chemistry.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:26 AM
highhorse

Originally Posted by DrScoles
I just want it to be easier to program! The instructions suck...wait..... Not sure there are any...lol. I b
ought three sensors for my corsair, not looking forward to programming them all in.
Yup, that too. It's ridiculous how convoluted the sensor programming seems to be.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:37 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Been with futaba for over 25 years and its always been this way, just not very good instructions. I want fuel telemetry for my jets!
Old 03-30-2014, 07:53 AM
Gary Arthur
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks Dave. I don't want a sensor that makes guesstimates from the ECU based upon pump voltage, I'd rather have a genuine fuel flow measurement. It's been done elsewhere, just not by Futaba. Secondly, the amps/watts sensor I want is primarily for electric powered planes. Again, its done elsewhere but Futaba has dropped the ball on this as well. They offer a volts sensor, which is useless in electrics or for 123 chemistry.
Using the miliamps from the pump is just as accurate as using a flow sensor. Pumps are a positive displacment style and at a given KV, you get pump rotations per power used. No different than a flow sensor turning a signal indicator.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:55 AM
ww2birds

Ah, I understand. Before the aftermarket on telemetry got going, I looked around a lot for a true mass flow sensor to use with turbine fuel flow. I never found one that was suitable for the flow range, size, weight, etc. I am certain that the guys who are doing the aftermarket sensors could use one if we could point them to a good source for the bare sensor.

This parameter is not a really good candidate for just reading a voltage on the TX since you need to integrate the reading with respect to time to get the actual fuel flow .. so it would need some programming in the sensor electronics or onboard code.

I know that some folks have looked at imitating the hall effect sensors like the ones in a Keurig coffee machine to have a floating magnet in the fuel tank (presumably constrained inside of some sort of tubing to do a fuel-low or a few discrete fuel level warnings) .. but that seems like a kludge to me and would have all sorts of issues with aircraft attitude.

There have been other projects looking (with an optical sensor of some sort) at the switch from liquid fuel to bubbles to air in the line that connects main and secondary tanks to give a one-shot warning of the emptying of the main tanks.

So clearly the importance of knowing this parameter is driving a lot of innovation.

I have always presumed that the pump voltage and pump flow are very predictably related, probably very close to linear, and that should be reliable once calibrated...

BTW, Robbe (via emcotec in Germany) does offer a current sensor that is perfect for large electric motor current sensing: http://shop.rc-electronic.com/ROBBE-...=RF1678&p=2403

150A full scale.

The also seem to have a new pitotstatic airspeed sensor listed... and Futaba has been supporting the Robbe sensor type too...

thanks
Dave
Old 03-30-2014, 08:12 AM
highhorse

Originally Posted by Gary Arthur
Using the miliamps from the pump is just as accurate as using a flow sensor. Pumps are a positive displacment style and at a given KV, you get pump rotations per power used. No different than a flow sensor turning a signal indicator.
Nice theory, but it doesn't seem to work out that way in practice.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:31 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Robbe/Futaba offers this e fuel gauge in Europe not sure why they are not selling it here yet.

Thanks all!

Don
Old 03-30-2014, 08:33 AM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Robbe/Futaba offers this e fuel gauge in Europe not sure why they are not selling it here yet.
do u have a link for this, I know xicoy has an item that gives u fuel flow but it uses a different name in the radio
Old 03-30-2014, 09:49 AM
stelioss

Hi this is great thread. How about a stand alone air sensor on psi/bar stand alone air speed sensor and a fuel sensor .And what about futaba software update for 18mz to activate a switch or a free channel on alarm ex.if air presure go down activate the gear channel (no need for onboard air failsafe) or if voltage go down activate a second spare battery so many options of redandancy sorry for my english
thanks all
Old 03-30-2014, 01:56 PM
Jeti USA

Have you guys considered adding standalone telemetry?
You can have all sensors made by jeti and monitor almost anything.
At this time Jeti offers Amp, V, Capacity, High, Speed, Temperature, Fuel Flow....

We used to use the Jeti Telemetry with Futaba 8FG radio system to monitor speed and battery mah consumption.
Just use any receiver (every Jeti Rx is Full Range Transceiver) with JetiBox profi and any of the sensors
Video
http://vimeo.com/46233596#at=0

Details
http://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-tele...rogrammer.aspx

http://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-tele...ow-gas-ex.aspx

http://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-dupl...telemetry.aspx
Old 03-30-2014, 04:30 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The FIA can help you with a fuel flow sensor. Might not be too reliable though I'd recommend the Red Bull verson if you could get your hands on one.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:38 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderBean
do u have a link for this, I know xicoy has an item that gives u fuel flow but it uses a different name in the radio
it was listed above

http://shop.rc-electronic.com/ROBBE-...=RF1678&p=2403
Old 03-30-2014, 08:11 PM
FenderBean

Jeti stand alone defeats the purpose
Old 03-31-2014, 03:40 AM
FenderBean

Has anyone tried this with the 18MZ? The instructions show the same data but its label different.
http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...utaba-Jeti-Mpx
Old 03-31-2014, 05:38 AM
Jeti USA

Originally Posted by FenderBean
Has anyone tried this with the 18MZ? The instructions show the same data but its label different.
http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...utaba-Jeti-Mpx

Works well with Jeti.

I really hope Futaba can get they act together.
We used to sell 1-2 radios a month, since Jeti maybe 1x radio every 4 months.

Last edited by Jeti USA; 03-31-2014 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:43 AM
FenderBean

I asked if someone used it with the 18mz, I am glad you guys are doing well but I have no desire to switch to another radio.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:43 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

"Jeti-USA" it would be nice if this thread could be kept on topic ?
I'm sure that Jeti radios are all great, but we are a few guys that are using the 18MZ.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:21 AM
Carsten Groen

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Dave,
excellent description! This would take care of a lot of interesing sensors that could be made (and yes, the flowmeter has crossed my mind many times, I even have the flow sensor here, would just need to rework a tiny fraction of my pressure sensor for it to work )
Old 03-31-2014, 10:42 AM
stevekott

Originally Posted by ww2birds
Like many 18MZ users, I have really enjoyed using this radio, and have been delighted with the capabilities of the telemetry system. I've been migrating each of my airplanes from the 6014 to 7008 so that I can use telemetry functions.

It has been great to see the new sensors being released by Futaba here in the US and Robbe/Futaba in Europe .. and it's spawned a great ecosystem of aftermarket products we can use with the Sbus2 input, such as the projects Carsten has been showing us recently such as the ASSI system, and Gaspar's very nice telemetry adapter for Xicoy ECUs.

My hope is that Futaba sees this growing interest and growing partner movement of compatible sensors as a driver of more utility and popularity of their products in our community.

As I've been using the telemetry system, a few ideas keep coming up ... some from my own use and some from others on the forum here. I'd like to get a discussion going and hopefully our friends from Futaba will take notice and perhaps we can see the good ideas in a future release of the 18MZ firmware.

Here are a few to start:

1) It would be great to have some way to "arm" a sensor alarm so it would not start alerting until armed. The system should wake up with the arming-enabled alarms in a standby state. For example, if we have a pitot/static airspeed sensor set to a minimum safe airspeed, you would not want it to be armed until just after takeoff .. you don't want it buzzing away while taxiiing out. Then once it goes off, you might have it sound for a limited time, or shut off when acknowledged (see next idea) Similar thoughts for other parameters, e.g. turbine pump voltage or exhaust gas temp being used as flame-out warnings - you get the idea.

2) Once an alarm goes off, it would be good to have some way to acknowledge it and shut it off. Think of a low-fuel sensor reading data from the turbine ECU link. Perhaps using the trainer momenty switch as an "ack".

3) This one might be reaching a little .. but ... how about a way to use a telemetry function to cause some action back to the control system .. e.g. act like a switch or be part of a mix or an offset mix. Think of a plane with Carsten's new air pressure sensor .. reading out on the TX screen .. with a low-pressure alarm that also causes the gear to lower. A telemetry-enabled gear failsafe.

4) How about some "generic" sensor types. Today, the folks who make third party telemetry sensors can only use the built-in sensor types (e.g. air pressure in PSI reading out as temperature in degrees C). Could we have a generic sensor type where we can enter the text string for the units, and do some simple scaling (e.g. output = input * A + B) where we can set A and B. This will cover a lot of cases and be really really nice!

Please let us know your thoughts, as well as perhaps tell us some interesting ways you are using telemetry today.

thanks
Dave McQueeney
+1 on 1, 2, 3 and 4 !!!

This is a Flagship radio. These are all relatively small but important software changes.

I use the CB Elektronics IAS sensor and the Carsten ASSI. I need to keep switching between Metric and Imperial units between models.

I also use the Robbe Current/Milliamp Hour sensor in series with my turbine fuel pump as a redneck fuel available sensor. But I have to remember 410ma means out of fuel.

I really like the idea of an acknowledge switch. I've flown full scale planes with Warning Mutes. Once the alarm goes off you can hit the Mute button so you can have 30 seconds of silence while sorting out the problem. After the 30 seconds the horn starts honking again until you hit the mute again. That way you never forget you have a problem but the alarm doesn't become annoying.

Another thing I would like to see is a "Talking Timer" calling out "One Minute" ... "Thirty Seconds". It is never easy to see your jet and timer at the same time and if you look down at the timer .. well your jet might not be there when you look up. At a busy jet rally this would give you the option to land a little early with a lot of other guys in the air that are going to want to land at about the same time.

How do we get this info to Futaba? I would imaging they want to continue to be the Premier radio and not have Jeti pass them up.

Steve
Old 03-31-2014, 11:07 AM
FenderBean

so u tie the current sensor into your pump and just relate full to MAHs used? I can deal with it reading something different since I would set an alarm for the levels I wanted to be alerted about.

Last edited by FenderBean; 03-31-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:08 AM
mick15

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It couldn't be easier Steve go onto their website and register your request. I asked for a zero volt warning and got it.

m

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.