Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

$60,000 RC Jet....I am sure we can make a better one

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

$60,000 RC Jet....I am sure we can make a better one

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 08:31 PM
vipul
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $60,000 RC Jet....I am sure we can make a better one

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/12185

looks like it is powered by a turbine.....no way this is AMA legal......I don't know what Hammacher is thinking selling this to the public so someone can go fly this in a park .....

come on guys...I am sure you can make a better one than this for under a grand....
Old 03-30-2014, 08:47 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

I believe it was Rick Hammell that built that. Its pretty flippin cool IMO!
Old 03-30-2014, 09:44 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I can build you one too for $54,000.

Rick did a great job on the dragon. Isn't he also doing a Batplane?

Jim
Old 03-31-2014, 01:59 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Jim you are correct
Here is a link to the Dragon video which also has a segment on the bat plane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v7ikq2jt3g
Old 03-31-2014, 04:14 AM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG! I can just see it now. Mimzy, let's get junior this dragon for his 9th birthday, he'll positively love it. He can fly it with his friends at the park.

Seriously!? What the heck is Hammacher thinking!
Old 03-31-2014, 06:48 AM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks to me like a bad idea in a long history of really bad ideas.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:25 AM
speed is life

Let me guess; they "Hammacher Schlemmer" have FEJ making it ......... out of honeycomb?

EDIT: OK, OK, please, no disrespect meant towards Rick Hammell.....he's a genius at unusual projects that actually fly.
I was poking fun at the very idea of Hammacher risking selling one of these to somebody with $$$ and no clue.
- Mike

Last edited by speed is life; 03-31-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:53 AM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by speed is life
Let me guess; they have FEJ making it ......... out of honeycomb?

guys, lets stop the stupid bashing here ... First off, the dragon design DOES fly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzP5X9Y58JE
the jet is designed and build by Rick Hammell out of PA, USA. It took tons of development and dozens of individual molds to make this model. As for Hammacher, this is a novelty listing mostly, and something they have on the cover of the catalog. its totally for "neat" factor. Rick is NOT in the business of building kits or planes, he does it for his own personal enjoyment, and the price tag reflects partly what he would probably feel his time would be worth if someone was to want one bad enough. It is undeniable how much interest this dragon has had, and at the same time it has upset some of the hard-core RC retards out there, lol

I know Rick personally and the dude is an amateur aerospace engineering genius. His designs are absolutely awesome. As for the use of honeycomb, he actually does it RIGHT .. just like CAI did with their line of jets ( that honeycomb hold up better than ANY other jets out there )

I have the only other Batwing Rick laid up, and i wont even mention what it ran. To me, it was worth it. But that's because i have an addiction problem here, lol .. It was what Ricks time is worth to him, and he is not a Chinese factory, nor is he set up for production by far .. If anyone wants a batwing, contact us as we can get them molded from Rick, and set up turn key ( there are no instruciton, formers etc .. ).. but they are NOT cheap, and i don't expect many wanting these. in fact, I am yet to finish and fly mine.

so lets STOP bashing a guy that homestly deserves more respect in the hobby that ANY of us here in this thread ...

Voy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1040137_483786041702998_2125194867_o.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	1983003  
Old 03-31-2014, 10:20 AM
GerKonig

Thank you wojtek, I guess many posters might want to research the subject further before adding moronic comments. The guy is a genius and a master modeller.

Gerry
Old 03-31-2014, 11:25 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by speed is life
Let me guess; they "Hammacher Schlemmer" have FEJ making it ......... out of honeycomb?

EDIT: OK, OK, please, no disrespect meant towards Rick Hammell.....he's a genius at unusual projects that actually fly.
I was poking fun at the very idea of Hammacher risking selling one of these to somebody with $$$ and no clue.
- Mike
This reminds me of the time, way back when, that "Sharper Image" had a Gold Plated DeLoren in their catalog. It was listed at something like $85,000 (back when you could buy an average car for $5000).

It was a gimmick that was only there to attract people into browsing the catalog and I doubt that there was more than one that was available - if that.

There are several "disclaimers" in the ad and I doubt there will be any takers - but if there are, I'm sure Rich will have to custom make one - except for the one original...

Bob
Old 03-31-2014, 12:26 PM
Pylonracr

Originally Posted by rhklenke
This reminds me of the time, way back when, that "Sharper Image" had a Gold Plated DeLoren in their catalog. It was listed at something like $85,000 (back when you could buy an average car for $5000).

It was a gimmick that was only there to attract people into browsing the catalog and I doubt that there was more than one that was available - if that.

There are several "disclaimers" in the ad and I doubt there will be any takers - but if there are, I'm sure Rich will have to custom make one - except for the one original...

Bob

I was responding to the same idea. Can you imagine the liability of selling this to someone with no idea of how to fly it or an AMA turbine waiver? I guess that puts me in the catagory of "posting moronic comments." I stand by my comment, It IS a bad idea to advertise this plane for sale to the general public, no matter how much of an engineering feat is is to make it fly.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:56 PM
Dig it

Pylon, you should attempt to see the good in life not just the negative.

Anyway, I think its cool as he||. Not something I'd buy but you absolutely have to admire the talent that went into making it.

Dale
Old 03-31-2014, 01:13 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Pylonracr
I was responding to the same idea. Can you imagine the liability of selling this to someone with no idea of how to fly it or an AMA turbine waiver? I guess that puts me in the catagory of "posting moronic comments." I stand by my comment, It IS a bad idea to advertise this plane for sale to the general public, no matter how much of an engineering feat is is to make it fly.
It the person who buys it is rich enough to pay that for it, then im sure they are rich enough to either. 1. See the "cool" factor of it and never fly it, or 2. Be well off enough to have a really good insurance policy.

afterall, the AMA insurance is Secondary to your primary insurance policy.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:30 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vipul
http://www.hammacher.com/Product/12185

looks like it is powered by a turbine.....no way this is AMA legal......I don't know what Hammacher is thinking selling this to the public so someone can go fly this in a park .....

come on guys...I am sure you can make a better one than this for under a grand....
No one can make a better one than this. This is a unique real flying turbine model that meets all AMA guidelines from what I have seen. The guy who made this is a master craftsman. I'm sure this will make some millionaire a very happy person. Only one exists in the world and it's a bargain for the artistic value alone not to mention that it is a one of a kind fully flying Dragon. We have been following this jet for quite awhile on RCU. There is a build thread. You should check it out.

The project was simply stunning imo. I look forward to his Bat Plane.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:30 PM
Pylonracr

Originally Posted by Dig it
Pylon, you should attempt to see the good in life not just the negative.

Anyway, I think its cool as he||. Not something I'd buy but you absolutely have to admire the talent that went into making it.

Dale

I thought I did see the good in life, at least I try to.

I took one look at that plane and was immediatly scared from a liability standpoint. Maybe I look at it from a business standpoint because I have seen what can happen to a business when things do not go as planned.

That being said, the engeneering that went into it to make it fly is nothing short of amazing.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:02 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Amazing, but I bet with that price tag he is not selling too many!!
Old 03-31-2014, 02:32 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not a turbine posters' but an electric fan unit. As for being a genius not really. A shovel or broom will fly if you stick a wing platform on it.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:59 PM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Wojtec, I think you misunderstand the point most people are making here. Nobody (I think) is saying it isn't an awesome accomplishment and doesn't have that cool factor, it absolutely does.

The point at least I was trying to make was the logic in selling a model that complicated to operate by the general public in a Hammacher magazine. I think it is safe to say that the majority of their clientele are non-modelers. I would hate to see something like that in the hands of a complete novice, rich or not. First off it would be dangerous as heck and secondly I would hate to see someone destroy such a beautiful creation on their first try, which would certainly happen to a novice. Tragic all around.

Now if it were selling it in an RC magazine or RC web page that would be completely different.

That's all I was saying at least.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:49 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The work done on the dragon and batwing is AMAIZING. It's an engineering feat. Especially for the fact that it flys too.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:18 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw it at toledo last year.. IT flew on electric power, but he converted it to a turbine at the show.. iT is absolutely awesome !!
Old 03-31-2014, 06:28 PM
oian
My Feedback: (2)

I noticed in the ad for this there was a box at the bottom noting that "Special conditions" apply to the sale and to call to find out what they are. I suspect that these conditions may include a proof of ability to operate or something like that. I would be very surprised if their lawyers would allow just anyone with the cash to get one, the possible lawsuits (which would surely involve them) could be very costly.

John
Old 03-31-2014, 06:53 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Pylonracr
I thought I did see the good in life, at least I try to.

I took one look at that plane and was immediatly scared from a liability standpoint. Maybe I look at it from a business standpoint because I have seen what can happen to a business when things do not go as planned.

That being said, the engeneering that went into it to make it fly is nothing short of amazing.
Why would you be scared from a liability standpoint, it is no more dangerous then any other high performance R/C model, it has wings, ailerons, a basic V tail like a Beech Bonanza, a jet turbine with a stated 70 mph. top speed and an all up weight of 40 lbs. making it completely AMA legal to fly. It also states that it breaths fire but only while on the ground...

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 03-31-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:10 PM
vipul

Confucius says: "Rich kid who fly plane powered by kerosene, then crash in big ball of fire"

--- Seriously speaking....there should be a big disclaimer when buying this plane as to the damage it can cause and the dangers of a model turbine engine.....
Old 03-31-2014, 07:28 PM
vipul

Here you go, I think this sums up the safety warning about this jet:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dragon2.gif
Views:	214
Size:	919.8 KB
ID:	1983110   Click image for larger version

Name:	dragon1.gif
Views:	228
Size:	846.3 KB
ID:	1983112  
Old 04-01-2014, 03:50 AM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by flycatch
Not a turbine posters' but an electric fan unit. As for being a genius not really. A shovel or broom will fly if you stick a wing platform on it.
Yes, but this was neither (if you looked at the model)

Gerry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.