Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

$60,000 RC Jet....I am sure we can make a better one

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

$60,000 RC Jet....I am sure we can make a better one

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 12:12 PM
SushiHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rick hamel
Money gets spent on some strange stuff--I'm always amazed at some of the strange art that sells for millions!!
That's true, but in almost all cases, the artist has been long dead when their work sells for anything close to that.

Talk about expensive, there is a guy where I fly my planes who created a very unique heli/video recording a/c. According to him, he spent way more than $60K on the R&D of this project. Pix below that I took a month or so back:

Look up the definition of r/c bells & whistles and this would probably come up
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Newest Pix 025.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	1983756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Newest Pix 026.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	1983757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Newest Pix 027.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	2.71 MB
ID:	1983758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Newest Pix 029.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	1983759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Newest Pix 030.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	3.70 MB
ID:	1983760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Newest Pix 031.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	2.28 MB
ID:	1983762  
Old 04-03-2014, 12:28 PM
rick hamel
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So the plan would be to build a pile of these suckers-wait till I bite the big one and then maybe my kids could get the big buck for them--sounds like a plan--off to the shop!--with my luck, by then, model turbines will be outlawed by the NSA or FAA--what's scrap fiberglass going for? You could always set one on a post in the middle of a corn field and scare off the crows--install a motion sensor to activate the fire--but then--there goes the crop up in smoke--maybe use it as an exotic paper weight. Probably couldn't give it away?! Life goes on.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:18 PM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AndyAndrews
Guys spend more money than that on JWM jets. Why not on a dragon. It's not my kinda thing but I can see someone paying that much for a one of a kind collectors item.
But you would need a Dragon endorsement, and those are not easy to get:-)

Gerry
Old 04-03-2014, 01:23 PM
SushiHunter

I watched a few vids of this dragon on youtube today and the high speed taxi clip didn't really do it's image any good. Looks like the head was going to come off when it went over the rough. If it does that during taxi, imagine what it would do during stress of flying. I like the bat wing more but not even sure it is capable of flying. Bottom line (IMO) is $60K+ for something that you can basically only control it's flight path within roughly a quarter mile radius...cost analysis leads me to question.... is it really worth that amount?

Last edited by SushiHunter; 04-03-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:40 PM
rick hamel

There is a hard foam gasket between the head and neck so there is no glass to glass contact--between the flex of the gasket and the glass-it does move-on the rough it does bounce a little but there have been a dozen flights between the different models that I have-- and even at high speed --no problem at all !! As far as control --same as a Piper cub--I'm good with that---works for me. If your looking for something to zip around with-get something different than this at a lower price---sounds like you're better off with an aerobatic style plane. As far as the Batwing goes.--- If you search this form -there is a shot of the wing in the air with speed brakes deployed.---I'm not interested in selling them--or any of my other models in my gallery.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:20 AM
mitchilito
My Feedback: (7)

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Rick, is there any particular reason you don't have any video of either the dragon or batplane in flight? Sure would like to see either of them flying.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:59 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchilito
Rick, is there any particular reason you don't have any video of either the dragon or batplane in flight? Sure would like to see either of them flying.
How about this one.

Bob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=SzP5X9Y58JE

Last edited by sensei; 04-04-2014 at 03:01 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:42 AM
SushiHunter

Originally Posted by sensei
I think that is a prototype of the larger one that moves the head and does the fire thing. The one in this video is a different one, much smaller, EDF powered, not the same as the one being showcased with the turbine power plant, moving head and fire.

Last edited by SushiHunter; 04-04-2014 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:00 PM
rick hamel

I actually tried twice last summer on two separate occasions to get the dragon on film -had a friend bring his camera so he would know how to work it-for whatever reason the camera would not stay in focus so the vid is basically a big blur--second time had another club member show up with his own camera--all went well till the dragon was coming in for a landing and he dropped the camera--it's shame -- was one of the coolest low speed landings ever--I do have that I could post --it is amazing to watch it lift off at a low speed --but I hesitate to post it with all the sharks out there just waiting for something on it that isn't perfect!! after second try went home and put a roof on my house -roof on my shop -central air and electrical distribution box--by then flying season was gone hope to get something good this year--went to fire up the Batwing to test the new exhaust---brand new P-180 seized up on start--sent it back --they had to wait for parts--when I came back I was roofing and left it sit for 3 weeks--good thing cause then I received a notice from Jetcat that there was yet another problem--I think they said the diffuser had problems--anyway -they were taking them in order so That didn't come back till after xmas--haven't installed it as yet----I'm hoping for a better year in 14--the Batwing is a really old project from --12 years ago. I used to have a flight that was on VHS tape-in fact the pic of it in the air is on this form last year--it is one of the frames from that old tape--at this point it is so degraded it doesn't play in the machine--even the build pix are 35 mm that I scanned into my computer--like I said--it was a long time ago--I built a second model and installed all the lights and bling on it for last years show--I remember showing the flight vid to Voytec when he was interested in one. Anyway with time and a little luck I'll get them on youtube
Old 04-04-2014, 03:18 PM
rick hamel

Here are pix from two different flights-they are hi def so you can zoom in on them--they are pictures of a second turbine powered dragon identical to the one at the show except for paint and eyes-I use it for testing

Name:	dragon flight 001.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	1984092   Click image for larger version

Name:	dragon view frnt2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	1984093  
Old 04-07-2014, 08:45 AM
SushiHunter

The dragon would probably look a whole lot better in flight if it had retracts instead of the fixed landing gear which reminds me of a shopping cart. Two back to back video issues. Lot of bad luck with that.

Last edited by SushiHunter; 04-07-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:55 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SushiHunter
The dragon would probably look a whole lot better in flight if it had retracts instead of the fixed landing gear which reminds me of a shopping cart. Two back to back video issues. Lot of bad luck with that.
humm.. never seen a dragon with retracts. If you think you can make one better lets see it.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:54 AM
SushiHunter

Originally Posted by AndyAndrews
humm.. never seen a dragon with retracts. If you think you can make one better lets see it.
I never seen a dragon fly before, I'm guessing they'd do it like all the other birds, bring their feet and legs in closer to their body. But the only need for retracts if it 's flying. Honestly I think most of this are static displays but with working robotics and real turbine engines. Basically it can be turned on, taxi itself around by it's own turbine power plant, but that's about it. Sure I'd love it if the bat wing was flyable. That would be too cool! But I think these things are just static displays but do have working components in them like the servo's, control surface movements and real turbine, but I think that is all they are. With exception to the prototype dragon with the EDF power plant. But hey....maybe I'm wrong, maybe they all fly. In which case I'd love to see videos of them flying cause I love that bat wing and that would be one cool a/c to be flying.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:55 AM
A10FLYR

I see his point. It would look neat if the wheels would retract somehow leaving only the claws showing. (I don't think he was slamming the work done or at least I hope not)
Old 04-07-2014, 10:00 AM
SushiHunter

Originally Posted by A10FLYR
I see his point. It would look neat if the wheels would retract somehow leaving only the claws showing. (I don't think he was slamming the work done or at least I hope not)
That's right, I'm not slamming this work at all, looks really great. Unbelievable amount of money, time and effort goes into these. No way would I be able to make something like this stuff. With that said, come on, are these finished products really able to fly or are they more like very expensive and exotic static displays with limited mobility? I guess it doesn't really matter.

Last edited by SushiHunter; 04-07-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:00 PM
rick hamel

Default Batwing prototype

Found an old pic of the very first wing--it was nothing more that a flat sheet of foam with a rounded leading edge-but the point was to find the CG-find a set of control surfaces that would provide adequate control-and then to see if it would actually fly--think it have a 40 glow on it--at the end of the day a 12 year old was flying it around inverted- a club in WV borrowed it-they would fight over whos turn it was to fly -took 6 months to get it back--building one similar to this for my grand son except it will use a 5 inch electric ducted fan (old dragon set up) and it will be all Nomex glass--The prototype didn't even have rudders--these proof of concept projects are the most fun of all--not much to lose if things go wrong!

Name:	Batwing proto.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	1985036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Batwing proto1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	1985037  
Old 04-07-2014, 02:09 PM
SushiHunter

I'd love to see the nice bat wing fly, he one that was on display with the batman action figure. That one is bad to the bone. I'd have to set that one up for FPV though.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:16 PM
rick hamel

Know anyone that wants to by a slightly used for display only Batman figure!---Small girl at Toledo picked it up and started walking away-must of really liked him!
Old 04-07-2014, 03:19 PM
rick hamel

Is this uncle Dean!!??--think I bought a Harel forward swept prototype -orange in color many moons ago!!
Old 04-07-2014, 08:07 PM
A10FLYR

Shore tis! I wondered where that Arrow went. I just had too many irons in the fire at the time, (still do). Into gliders now, slope, thermal, DS, aerotow.
Did you have any luck with it?
Old 04-08-2014, 03:57 PM
rick hamel

Not really--airfoils were incorrect for a canard design-and structurally it wasn't adequate--ended up sectioning it and saving that information on paper--nice fuse though!
Old 04-08-2014, 04:06 PM
rick hamel

Still have a couple 7 inch fans-then turbines came along--still NIB--oh well