Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

My FEJ story

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

My FEJ story

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 09:18 AM
Erik R
My Feedback: (32)

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default My FEJ story

Gents,

Last winter I bought a pre honeycomb FEJ 1/5.5 F-16. It was originally purchased by Jerry Hinshaw, who sold it to Mark Gabel, who then tragically passed away at way too young of an age. I bought it, still new in the box, from Marks estate. This was before Dantley's crash, and the whole ensuing drama that followed with FEJ.
While it was being built, by a pro, Dantley lost his Tomcat, and I considered walking away from the whole project. I decided, since it was pre honeycomb, and my builder reinforced the fuse with carbon, and the stab mounts, I would continue.

The airplane turned out to be one of the nicest flying scale jets I've ever owned. The maiden flight is on youtube. Unfortunately, on the 10th flight, I experienced a structural failure, resulting in a total loss, as has happened to others. By this time, Nir Schweizer, a personal friend of mine was involved with FEJ. I met with Ken, James, and Nir, at my home field in Hamburg, and explained the situation. James told me that was an early version, and contrary to some things posted on the internet, they have been listening, and learning, and improving their construction techniques. Since then, Nir has visited the factory, and built some of their latest production models, and has noted a marked improvement with some of the methodology in question. I have looked at the construction of their demo models, and they seem as well built as comparable offerings from other manufacturers.

My replacement F-16 recently arrived at Nir's shop. Nir is doing the build. He sent me pics of the construction from the factory, and you will see that the bulkheads are all plywood, and the glue joints appear to be well done. I am giving them one more chance. I am not a shill, and will tell the whole truth about my experience with this jet, good or bad. For those that don't know me, I don't baby my airplanes. It will be flown like a fighter. It will be P-200 powered. At this point, my opinion is that FEJ has stepped up, and I give them credit for that. I have either seen, or personally had airplanes come apart in the air, from almost every jet manufacturer to date.

Before you start flaming my decision to press on here, know that it has been a well thought out, reasoned one. I have been assured that the airplane was built well, reinforced, and it is being built by my friend, a professional builder. Again, I will honestly report the good, bad, and/or ugly here. I'm not sponsored or coerced by anyone. I am an airline pilot by profession, AMA leader member, Large model inspector, I cd the Hamburg Summer Afterburner, and have been flying rc jets for over 20 years, turbine powered for 13. My current fleet includes a JMP Firebird, a Comp-Arf Ultra Lightning, and a Fei Bao F-18F. The flamers may be correct, or maybe FEJ is moving in the right direction. Time will tell. Happy flying season to you all.

Erik Rudjord

P.S. I can't seem to get the images to load. I will ask Nir to post them here
Old 04-03-2014, 09:26 AM
Lownverted
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did they provide you with a replacement airframe or did you purchase a second one?
Old 04-03-2014, 09:32 AM
icepilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and with that name - you have to be Norwegian!!! Good luck with your F-16 - it IS the best looking, best flying military jet out there!!!
Tor
Old 04-03-2014, 09:33 AM
Erik R

Bud,

I'm going to have to keep the answer to that question private, between FEJ, and myself. I can tell you that James said that they will evaluate each claim/complaint on an individual basis, and if they feel a loss is a result of a manufacturing defect, they will take the appropriate action. Bottom line, I'm not dancing here, it's just not my place to say. I can also say that I am very satisfied with their response to my situation. Regards,

Erik
Old 04-03-2014, 09:36 AM
Erik R

Originally Posted by icepilot
and with that name - you have to be Norwegian!!! Good luck with your F-16 - it IS the best looking, best flying military jet out there!!!
Tor
Tor,

My father was born near Lista. I have owned the Aviation design, Tamjets, and the FEJ F-16's. One of my favorites. Regards,

Erik
Old 04-03-2014, 10:07 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

are they going to abandon honey comb and go back to fiberglass plywood? I think Honey comb is just adding to the issues that they have.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:08 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Erik R
Bud,

I'm going to have to keep the answer to that question private, between FEJ, and myself. I can tell you that James said that they will evaluate each claim/complaint on an individual basis, and if they feel a loss is a result of a manufacturing defect, they will take the appropriate action. Bottom line, I'm not dancing here, it's just not my place to say. I can also say that I am very satisfied with their response to my situation. Regards,

Erik
Actually Erik, your answer is clear.

Best of luck in your endeavor.

I hope all the best for you!

All that said, to even try to compare the failures of ANY other reputable Jet manufacture to FEJ's is a bit unreasonable.

Yes, we've seen Shui's ultra bandit blow up at joe nall, we've seen the elevator blank out with flaps with the Flash and the SM F-4, etc..... but the repeated, over and over (coupled with the repeated lack of customer service) structural failures we've seen come out of FEJ is frankly just sad and speaks volumes regarding the business model of FEJ.

My FEJ F-14 makes my heart flutter it is so pretty, but as a flying model? No, chance.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:57 AM
Pepperpete

Forget it.

Last edited by Pepperpete; 04-03-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:06 AM
Damo260

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoWings
are they going to abandon honey comb and go back to fiberglass plywood? I think Honey comb is just adding to the issues that they have.
They are still using Honey Comb for the outer skin and with ply formers instead of Honey Comb formers that how my new Hawk 100 is.

Damo
Old 04-03-2014, 11:18 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Originally Posted by Damo260
They are still using Honey Comb for the outer skin and with ply formers instead of Honey Comb formers that how my new Hawk 100 is.

Damo
Should just go back to plywood and fiberglass, the honey comb texture shows up in the scheme I don't like the way it looks, this is only if you look close at the right angle, but if they are planning on changing construction they should just go back to regular fiberglass & plywood. Would solve one of the major issues.

I suppose airex would be asking too much....
Old 04-03-2014, 11:26 AM
Damo260

Should just go back to plywood and fiberglass, the honey comb texture shows up in the scheme I don't like the way it looks, this is only if you look close at the right angle, but if they are planning on changing construction they should just go back to regular fiberglass & plywood. Would solve one of the major issues.

I suppose airex would be asking too much....

I'm happy with the finish on my Hawk but I think if they went back to fiberglass their plane will come out a lot heaver and I've seen a few FB with airex skin I think its a lot hard to get a nice finish

Damo
Old 04-03-2014, 11:38 AM
Erik R

Raf,

Thank you for your non-antagonistic response. I actually agree with much of what you say. I was on the fence about pursuing this, but ultimately, everything considered, it made sense for me to go ahead. I also was on the fence about bringing it up here. There has been much bloviating, and trash talk from all sides. I am not biased. I will tell the truth about this airplane going forward. The only manufacturers I would recommend without hesitation at this point are JMP and BVM. I am very excited about my Ultra Lightning though.

Fender,

Thank you for your service to our country. In the relatively short time since your F-16, you have evolved into a self anointed expert, racking up 3600 + posts here. I'm hardly beating a dead horse. I am going to fly a replacement for a failed jet, and I'm going to be honest about the results. What was true yesterday, may not be true today. No one here can speak to my individual circumstances regarding this decision. If it fails, I will post it here, and you can all give me your "I told you so's".

Erik
Old 04-03-2014, 11:46 AM
Erik R

Disco,

I actually owned and flew the CAI Raptor that Voy is currently flying. It has honeycomb skin with carbon bulkheads. I had a 36 lb turbine in it, and the jet was pushed very hard, for many flights, and shows no signs of wear. Voy still flogs it once in a while. There is no doubt that the honeycomb spars, and the inadequate construction shown in Raf's xrays were major issues. The men looked me in the eye, and said they changed all of that. I then looked at their demo models, and they were carbon reinforced, and appeared very robust. I don't know how this will turn out, but I'm giving them one more chance. Bottom line,

Erik
Old 04-03-2014, 11:54 AM
Damo260

Erik
You don't need to explain your self to them at the end of the day your choice.. What you do with your money

Damo
Old 04-03-2014, 11:58 AM
Erik R

Here's a few pics. Had to use my phone.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	1983741   Click image for larger version

Views:	500
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	1983742   Click image for larger version

Views:	479
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	1983743  
Old 04-03-2014, 12:08 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please keep your posts on topic and avoid 'bashing'.

Posts containing pointless images will be deleted.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:30 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Damo260
I'm happy with the finish on my Hawk but I think if they went back to fiberglass their plane will come out a lot heaver and I've seen a few FB with airex skin I think its a lot hard to get a nice finish

Damo
the surface finish is dictated by the style, weight and number of layers of the skin layup, not entirely the core material. The last FB jet i saw didnt use Airex, it used Balsa as its core
Old 04-03-2014, 12:38 PM
nir schweizer
My Feedback: (40)

Default Erik's F16

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Views:	327
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	1983808   Click image for larger version

Views:	345
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	1983809   Click image for larger version

Views:	318
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	1983810   Click image for larger version

Views:	217
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	1983811   Click image for larger version

Views:	406
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	1983818   Click image for larger version

Views:	286
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	1983819   Click image for larger version

Views:	273
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	1983820  

Last edited by nir schweizer; 04-03-2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:45 PM
SushiHunter

When I read the thread title, I wondered how long into the read it would be before I hit the word "honeycomb". My.....that didn't take long!
Old 04-03-2014, 12:48 PM
Damo260

Originally Posted by invertmast
the surface finish is dictated by the style, weight and number of layers of the skin layup, not entirely the core material. The last FB jet i saw didnt use Airex, it used Balsa as its core
The ones I've seen in the last month have been Airex skins

Damo
Old 04-03-2014, 12:52 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Is it going to be built stock or have modifications to it? Having a rep for them build the plane is kinda cheating he knows all the weak spots.

BTW Nir seems like a stand up guy when I met him at Kentucky seemed like a good guy.

Hope it all goes well Eric.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:08 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gunradd
Is it going to be built stock or have modifications to it? Having a rep for them build the plane is kinda cheating he knows all the weak spots.

BTW Nir seems like a stand up guy when I met him at Kentucky seemed like a good guy.

Hope it all goes well Eric.
You beat me to it, is Nir going to build them free of charge for all customers? Its nice for you for what happens to the average modeler who purchases one? Id the new model good enough that it deosnt need a rep to put it togehter and mod it?
I would only give FEJ a chance if they give me a free model with free equipment, 100% risk free at my end.

Good luck with your F-16 Erik, I really hope this works out for you.

David

Last edited by FalconWings; 04-03-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:12 PM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Two Thumbs Up for Nir. Chic
Old 04-03-2014, 01:16 PM
Erik R

David,

I am paying Nir for the build, just like anyone else. I will ask him about any mods, or he may choose to post here.

Erik

Last edited by Erik R; 04-03-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:58 PM
dubd

Erik, glad to see FEJ stepped up for you. I really wish my experience with them was as positive. Still hurts to think about losing the two Jetcat P-140rxs... I could use those right now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.