Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

My FEJ story

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

My FEJ story

Old 04-04-2014, 09:36 AM
powerjets
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Erik,
I wish you all the best, and Im sure you've given this some thought,
How are you going to assure the full flying stabs are safe to operate ?
good luck, Hans
Old 04-04-2014, 09:50 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jetpilot
Erik,

Now since you were silent, which is what they want guys to be, you have a new jet. You don't really come off as the kind of guy who would remain silent, especially not to warn fellow modelers. how many silent guys are there???? Geeze!

And remember what FEJ said on their website:

As to such side effects, our factory will never and ever accept anyone who gained personal benefits by means of threat.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:54 AM
SushiHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dubd
The engines were ejected a couple hundred feet away. They looked like crushed soda cans.
And after the crash they behave like crushed soda cans too.

That's sad what happened.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:55 AM
SushiHunter

Originally Posted by HeavyMo
I think allota peoples who not have friends in FEJ are no more interseted in 1 jet that makes all good. Dont want to hear about it.
nobody else get customer service, but can meet the at Kentucky
Drinking and texting do not mix....
Old 04-04-2014, 09:56 AM
SushiHunter

Erik,
I think you have proved a couple of things.

It doesn't really matter if you have an early kit, strengthened or not, they still are not air worthy. A lot of guys here think that the "early" kits are ok. You even modified it to make it stronger and it still failed. Im curious where it failed?
You also did exactly what every other guy has done that crashed, assumed that it would not happen to them, and flew the jet anyway and it crashed. No one knows where they will fail, the tail or the wings or the fuse. They are all garbage. I see guys still doing this every day, even at major events. 1 flight, 10 flights or 30, they still fall out of the air. Seems like a huge safety matter.
You also didn't mention a word to anyone on here til you received your new jet that was built and overseen by Nir at the factory. Not a single warning to anybody from anyone that the F16 "early" kit was a problem? Now since you were silent, which is what they want guys to be, you have a new jet. You don't really come off as the kind of guy who would remain silent, especially not to warn fellow modelers. how many silent guys are there???? Geeze!

What happened to your turbines and electronics?

How exactly is your new jet any different? it still looks like the same crap they been doing since the start.

These guys have a lot to do before they start telling everyone the problem is fixed and mass producing more bombs. They need a whole division devoted to testing and R&D. actual limit testing to destruction. what are the limits?

There are guys receiving new stabs and parts that are supposed to "fix" the problem. Really? How would anyone bolt on a new stab and stick 6K worth of turbine and electronics in and think they are ok? Then the wings fold, fuse flex, flutter, etc.

So many have come here before you expecting different results and have all been given the same.

Sigh
Scott
It was nothing more than a total selected PR move on the company's part I'm sure.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:55 AM
Erik R
My Feedback: (32)

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Gents,

All fair points made. If they don't support customers,they deserve your wrath. I said I will be honest,so I will. My wing departed at the bottom of a gentle loop. They said the new wings were better,and physically showed me the difference on the demo models. They said that's how my replacement would be constructed. Nir says they followed through. My last engine was totaled in the crash. My electronics were repaired. They,and a used P-200 are going in this one. As far as restitution,they have to start somewhere. Maybe it's me. Time will tell.

Erik
Old 04-04-2014, 11:17 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think this is the first documented case of them actually replacing a jet.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:46 AM
Erik R

Gents,

I was picking my daughter up from school when typing my last response, so I had to cut it short.

Scott,

You are 100% correct, in that I am not one to remain silent. I chose to wait until I had all the facts. Certainly, my jumping on the flamewagon would've deteriorated any dialogue I had going with them about a replacement. I chose to wait and see what their response would be, and then I chose to share it here.

A few years ago, I had a high end arf scale jet, from a well known and respected manufacturer, come apart spectacularly at one of our events, after a gentle roll. A friend, spotting for another friend said, "Erik just blew up!" They were joking about making teeshirts saying " I was there when Erik blew up." It turns out that there was no glue on the bottom of the main bulkheads that house the wing spar recepticles. I took pics of the offending parts, clearly showing no glue in this critical area, emailed them to the company, and they sent me a replacement. Those joints were covered with carbon cloth, so there was no way of knowing the actual glue joint was non existent. This same company has had numerous failures lately, but there's no witch hunt, because they are "blessed", and they've been quietly replacing clearly defective products.

The point is, I can't judge any company based on what others say, because I don't know the whole story, from either side. I certainly was more cautious, and we took steps to reinforce the last one, and yes, I had the same result. In my case, I bought the airplane for less than half price from the estate sale, and got a great deal on a used engine, so I elected to press on. FEJ knows that I was not the original purchaser of the airframe, yet they still elected to support the product in my case. I don't know how others have reacted or responded to them, so I can't, and won't make a judgement on other's outcomes. I can just share mine, and I promise to be truthful, no matter what the outcome is.

On a different note, I am grateful for the civility everyone has displayed in this thread. I will not get into a flamewar, and if it devolves to that, I will just disengage. Regards,

Erik
Old 04-04-2014, 11:51 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Last edited by FenderBean; 04-05-2014 at 11:14 AM. Reason: bad comment
Old 04-04-2014, 12:00 PM
Erik R

Originally Posted by FenderBean
I just asked for some parts replaced, Nir said he would ask but nothing has ever come of it. I did get the typical fej comment from him as well, the "well I have the same thing and mine is fine" Pretty much gave up right then. Good luck with your jet, im glad they finally did right by someone.
Don't give up. I will tell you that I had to keep pushing. I was always professional and respectful though, even when I was angry. I also had Nir going to bat for me. Call him up. He is a straight shooter, and a good man. Good luck.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:18 PM
SushiHunter

Quite sure everyone who's ever lost one of these jets by this particular vendor has been very business like and cordial when initially communicating with them about the issue(s). It's only after they realized they were getting the run-around or... just getting jet blast blown up their arse, that communications deteriorated and resignation followed.

Seems like actually getting a replacement from them is right up there with a Cinderella story, you know the kind where it always happens to someone else. Couple by accident stumbles across a barrel full of uncirculated gold coins under a tree on their property, 17 year old high school boy has sex with his 28 year old female teacher, The Nick Nack Paddy Wack neck, back and foot massage parlor next door which has been in business for five years gets caught providing sex to customers and "we" didn't find out about it until after it was raided, the guy's jet fails in mid-flight and the company replaces it with a newer improved one, free of charge, etc. etc. You know... always someone else's Cinderella story.

Last edited by SushiHunter; 04-04-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:10 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

17 year old high school boy has sex with his 28 year old female teacher
Sounds like I went to the wrong school.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:34 PM
Lil Hoss
My Feedback: (58)

Seems like actually getting a replacement from them is right up there with a Cinderella story, you know the kind where it always happens to someone else. Couple by accident stumbles across a barrel full of uncirculated gold coins under a tree on their property, 17 year old high school boy has sex with his 28 year old female teacher, The Nick Nack Paddy Wack neck, back and foot massage parlor next door which has been in business for five years gets caught providing sex to customers and "we" didn't find out about it until after it was raided, the guy's jet fails in mid-flight and the company replaces it with a newer improved one, free of charge, etc. etc. You know... always someone else's Cinderella story.

Your a idiot.................
Old 04-04-2014, 01:45 PM
SushiHunter

Originally Posted by Lil Hoss

Sure. Name others who've gotten their jet, which had structural design failure ending in total loss, replaced by this company.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:57 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil Hoss

OK people listen up! I have one thing useful to add to this conversation:

When you want to say "YOU ARE," its "YOU'RE". "YOUR" is the possessive case of "YOU", NOT a contraction.

Sorry to pick on Lil Hoss - he's not the only one... GET IT RIGHT!

Y'all (southern contraction for YOU ALL) be careful out there... Watch out for falling FEJ's!

Bob
Old 04-04-2014, 02:06 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Erik, I find it disappointing that you remained silent until FEJ gave you what you wanted. I too, could have done the same thing, but that also would have meant another modeler losing his plane or a bystander being hurt. As much as some of you rant on about this just being a hobby, it's one that can have serious consequences if someone is hurt or killed. Being silent wasn't worth the risk just for another airframe.

Last edited by dubd; 04-04-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:30 PM
Erik R

Originally Posted by dubd
Erik, I do find it disingenuous that you remained silent until FEJ gave you what you wanted. I too, could have done the same thing, but that also would have meant another modeler losing his plane or a bystander being hurt. As much as some of you rant on about this just being a hobby, it's one that can have serious consequences if someone is hurt or killed. Being silent wasn't worth the risk just for another airframe. You and other FEJ owners were pretty harsh to me during time as well. It must be easier to wipe the egg from your face when FEJ gives you a replacement plane.
Dantley,

I was never harsh with you reference your loss. I was harsh with you when you said my Firebird paint scheme looked cheesy. Please search your memory. I would never have written anything to minimalize or denigrate your loss. You are simply wrong.

As far as being disingenuous, that is your opinion, and you are entitled to it. I'm not sure that immediately reporting my airframe loss, in the middle of an anti FEJ frenzy, would've significantly contributed to the safety of our hobby. If I thought that was the case, I would've been shouting it in every venue available to me.

Respectfully,
Erik
Old 04-04-2014, 03:05 PM
SushiHunter

This is starting to sound like a song I heard once called "men have feelings too"
Old 04-04-2014, 04:53 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

We have feelings? I thought we were stoic.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:11 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

Originally Posted by Boomerang1
Sounds like I went to the wrong school.
She had herpes....
Old 04-04-2014, 08:02 PM
Pete Lane
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by 2walla
She had herpes....
Shaped like honeycomb's.

Plane
Old 04-04-2014, 08:04 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Exactly!

They will forever go done in history as the company who created 400 accounts to vote for themselves in the poll. Lets not forget how low these guys are.
Scott
They did what?? ROFL…. Amazed that they are still in business.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:36 PM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Not saying that this is what happened, but...

Eric, I sounds a lot like you have agreed to help do some damage control. FEJ gives you a new airframe (the only free airframe we have heard of), and you in return document how greatly they have improved. FEJ then makes a lot of effort to produce a one-off kit that actually is somewhat decent. Maybe they get help from someone who actually knows a little about rc aircraft design so that the jet might hold up for a few more flights that normal.

Then they find someone who will do a build thread as well as a flight report. And, if this one-off, specially produced jet does not disintegrate, then they have gained a little bit of trust again.

Again, not saying that your friendship and meetings with them has led to this approach, but reading between the lines, it could be true.

If true, you are doing this hobby a great disfavor. We don't need more FEJ airframes on the market. The prudent thing for you to do is to just build your free jet, fly it and keep as quiet about it as you did with the crashed version. FEJ have had enough chances and opportunities to show an improvement and enough time has passed to find out that they completely disregard their customers. They don't deserve to be in business.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:10 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Exactly!

They will forever go done in history as the company who created 400 accounts to vote for themselves in the poll. Lets not forget how low these guys are.
Scott
This is true... my decision to go with fej was based on this poll... Heck I even started it, should have looked at who posted, but that was the original rcu site not sure if you could view the voters in that old site.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:30 PM
blackcat

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rhklenke
OK people listen up! I have one thing useful to add to this conversation:

When you want to say "YOU ARE," its "YOU'RE". "YOUR" is the possessive case of "YOU", NOT a contraction.

Sorry to pick on Lil Hoss - he's not the only one... GET IT RIGHT!

Y'all (southern contraction for YOU ALL) be careful out there... Watch out for falling FEJ's!

Bob
thank you bob, please also rip in with regards to "there", "their" and "they're"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.