Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Scorpion CG

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Scorpion CG

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 06:20 PM
Dig it

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scorpion CG

Hey all. I'm about done with my Scorpion. Its an original regular size. The CG in the manual noted 138mm but an update suggested 150-160mm. I've placed it at 155mm

Holding the jet upside down with gear down it balanced very nicely.
Another thread suggested it should sit on the tail feathers by itself but also sit firmly on the gear. I'd just like opinions from those that fly it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS9N...ature=youtu.be

Thanks

Dale
Old 04-06-2014, 06:43 PM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Usually all the scorpions cg it's 1" right in front of the main landing gear retracts plate .
Old 04-06-2014, 08:28 PM
rcguy5

Hey Dale, on my regular size scorpion I have the cg at 165mm from the leading edge at the root. The cg is right on the back side of the main gear leg. If you check this link at altecarerc http://www.altecare.com/scorpion.htm they mention having it at 150-160mm as the original recommendation is too far forward. Even 160mm I found to be not enough so I moved it a little further back as others I know have! Any more than that and the airplane would sit too light on the nose wheel even with a full tank.

Mike
Old 04-06-2014, 08:32 PM
rcguy5

I just noticed you saw the update and I would leave it at 155mm and see for yourself how you like it. I also put in a little more elevator throw as well as mixed in up elevator with landing flap and air brake. With flaps down you need about 4-5mm of up elevator and with air brake deployed you would need an additional 3mm roughly.

Mike
Old 04-06-2014, 08:44 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

In addition to what Mike said,

Mine was balanced exactly as shown in the video. Like many, I started with a more forward cg thinking "safe" and move it back slowly later. Problem is, this jet will bite you hard doing this. It will get into the death bounce and you're done.

Set it it up like its shown and you'll be fine. Just never give up in the flare. It likes to land nose high. Grass might be different as I only ever flew mine off pavement.

Theyre a fun jet to fly - enjoy!

PaulD
Old 04-06-2014, 08:52 PM
rcguy5

Exactly what Paul said Dale, mine has the same habits but once you fly it and get a hang of it it's all fun from there. It looks great with flaps down, gear down and airbrake up in a high flair on landing!!
Old 04-06-2014, 11:18 PM
WimB
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is balanced just behind the main struts, and performs flawless and viceless that way.......just keep the flare up, and don't relax the up elevator on TO till after the speed is up......

Wim
Old 04-07-2014, 06:06 AM
Dig it

Ok, so, I'm going to leave it setup as is and go from there. I'll be flying the first time from pavement (Tofield), but hope this will become my every day jet that I can fly off the grass field in Lloydminster.

One more quick question. The pipe sticks out the back quite a ways. I've read this can cause heat issues but I'm not 100% sure. Should a guy just leave it as is or what? I was actually thinking of putting a tailfeather type of thing over it to get it to an inside or flush position.

Dale