Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Boomerang Torus opinions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Boomerang Torus opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 07:13 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Boomerang Torus opinions

Well i pulled the trigger on a new torus from tris. i was wondering if there's anything i should know as far as setup. I sold my intro and decided to get the torus because of the fiberglass fuse and center section. if it flys anything like the intro it should be a long life plane. i opted to try a kingtech 140 for it. i'm JC guy but i've heard alot of good things about the turbines.
I understand the gear for it is the same as the elan and XL . I'll be looking for a good set of gear for it before to long. i would be interested in a set of good used gear if anyone has a set. WB_1
Old 04-10-2014, 07:48 AM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi WB:

I just started on my second Torus in the Navy scheme at the special price of $995.00 + Shipping. My first was in the blue camo scheme which I never liked. So have that one sold.
The first few off the line had trouble with ill fitting wings and booms. Had to relocate the fiberglass receiver tubes in the booms.
Wings fit perfectly on my new one. The landing gear mounts appear stout.

Usual fiddly stuff mounting and hinging. Found that 8711's are a bit wide for horizontal stab, but 8411's just fit. 8711's fit elsewhere for me. All of us use the CA hinges on all our Boomers and zero problems if done right.

They all come out tail heavy, so mount everything forward. Still may need some lead up front.

I went with Dreamworks Taurus Electric gear. According to Todd, the XL and Élan Struts are a little off as far as centering the wheels in the wells, but apparently can be made to work. The electric gear is very simple to set up. My buddy has a set in his XL and they have been perfect. If you have an old set of Dreamworks Taurus(not Torus) retracts already, you can get a conversion electric kit for them, which is what my buddy and I have done. I also went with the Electric Brakes. No more air system!!!

Mine will have either my Wren 160 out of my retired XL or a Jetcat 140RX. My buddy has KT-140 in his XL and 32+ lbs is plenty of power for either plane.

Check out the build threads here on RCU.

Tom
Old 04-10-2014, 12:18 PM
warbird_1

thanks for the info tom. if mine doesn't fit together right . i won't be modifying anything . it will go back for a good one .
Old 04-10-2014, 01:48 PM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 on electric conversions from Dreamworks. My son installed them in about an hr including the brakes. We are still adjusting the brakes to get them dialed in, but work very well. No air in the plane at all. We Hysoled the air tank in earlier so it's sitting in there taking up space...
Old 04-10-2014, 02:47 PM
warbird_1

i'm old school lol i like air. i'll wait a bit to see how they prove themselves out
Old 04-10-2014, 08:59 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I liked mine with the exception of a couple of minor annoyances.

The kit is well made and everything fit well on mine.

The plane builds tail heavy and there is no reason for this IMO. Coulda made the fuse a couple if inches longer and solved this problem. There's a thread on here where someone went thru the trouble of adding a couple of inches to his right in the canopy area. You need to build it with as much of the weight as far forward as possible as you will still need nose weight even if you get the batteries and UAT up front.

The gear are too far back in the wing behind the cg. This means that when u do your takeoff run the nose wants to dive and the plane does not want to rotate. Worst on grass. Make sure you get the tallest nose strut u can fit and it should have a heavy duty spring in the nose strut.

The rest is all good and it's a great flying model as with all the Boomerang planes.

PaulD
Old 04-10-2014, 09:54 PM
flejter1

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Warbird,

I am flying a Torus w/ tip tanks installed, Pushed by a K-140E and it is a great flying plane!! Mine is fast, predictable, acrobatic and recovers almost instantly. The K-140 will give you plenty of vertical push and will actually hold it in a high hover. It is a pretty simple plane to build & set up. It lands slow and really doesn't have any bad tendencies to speak of. I put a EV-5 valve up front and 2- 6.6V & 1-9.9V life packs in the nose and it balanced out perfect, no other weight was needed.

Good Fly'n,

Dirk
Old 04-11-2014, 01:57 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by flejter1
Warbird,

I am flying a Torus w/ tip tanks installed, Pushed by a K-140E and it is a great flying plane!! Mine is fast, predictable, acrobatic and recovers almost instantly. The K-140 will give you plenty of vertical push and will actually hold it in a high hover. It is a pretty simple plane to build & set up. It lands slow and really doesn't have any bad tendencies to speak of. I put a EV-5 valve up front and 2- 6.6V & 1-9.9V life packs in the nose and it balanced out perfect, no other weight was needed.

Good Fly'n,

Dirk
life packs? i must be behind in my battery knowledge... thanks for the info WB_1