Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FEJ 1/7 F-18.....need some help!?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FEJ 1/7 F-18.....need some help!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 02:21 AM
mach92goose
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FEJ 1/7 F-18.....need some help!?

Hey All,

I would like to get some assistance with my FEJ F18 1/7 scale....I welcome opinion but desire experience with this particular jet.......I'm getting close to "maiden flight" of my F18 and any suggestions on setup with the flight controls and balance is what I'm looking for....

Thanks,
Marc
Old 04-12-2014, 04:22 AM
Randy M.
My Feedback: (38)

My advice would be to remove everything from the plane and hang it from the ceiling.
One year ago I was in the same position as you. I set mine per instructions, as limited as they are.
Also seemed advice from fej. That was limited as well.
If you're going to fly it anyway, go without the flaps. That's where mine went south.
Some people get replacement airplanes, if they know the right people. I emailed James after my crash, not looking for another plane but
at least an answer as to what may have happened. His answer basically said " we fly, sometimes we crash. Happy Easter Day".
Good luck.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:33 AM
Randy M.

I thought of one more thing. Only fill the fuel tanks halfway. That way there is less fire to fight. And maybe some of your stuff will survive.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:41 AM
Randy M.

Randy's F-18F: http://youtu.be/-w3q7m_EmmA
Old 04-12-2014, 04:54 AM
rbxbear44
My Feedback: (86)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Marc,
For sure, keep the flaps dialed down on landing, no more than 15 degrees. The fuse and fairings produce 40% or more of the lift and it will take forever to spill off lift with more flaps, as you land. Keep your base leg to final shorter so you aren't chasing AOA and throttle. Keep some throttle in as you flare too. Ailerons have lots of authority and so do the Stabs so keep this in mind as you dial in your expos and rates.

I had two of these airframes over the years and they actually were one of their better flying airframes...once you got the landings dialed in and flap settings right. It would be good to have a positive AOA for takeoff...VERY helpful! Best of luck with your maiden.

Rex
Old 04-12-2014, 05:06 AM
rbxbear44

Wow Randy! Watched the video...did the flight end in a crash? The two I had were the old "battle wagon weight" ones...not the honeycomb. I sold both because I had cash offers at the field when flying them I couldn't walk away from but that was 4 years ago. I remember landings were a dog to figure out until you get flaps waaaay down. I added shims and got the gear to a positive AOA for takeoff and that cleaned up the "jump" at rotation too.

Rex
Old 04-12-2014, 05:35 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Hey Randy is that field in Nashville?
Old 04-12-2014, 05:54 AM
argyris

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 6:00 on this video bob shows how easy can brake one fej honeycomb f-18 stab without inside structure!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjYAGSbzbkw

Last edited by argyris; 04-12-2014 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:14 AM
Randy M.

Yes Rex, I thought you knew. Big fireball. Left it off the video. Just didn't think we needed another fireball video on YouTube.
My conclusion to my crash was when I added flaps, the nose pitched down, wich i expected. I grabbed some elevator, it kept going over. I grabbed more elevator as i get the flaps out. By then it was going straight down. Not enough room to pull out. This all happened in about 3 seconds. If you watch the video, when it ends count to three and say boom.
Fender, we did the flight at Pulaski airport. Lots of room and model friendly.

Mine was early kit. No honeycomb.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:45 AM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by mach92goose
Hey All,

I would like to get some assistance with my FEJ F18 1/7 scale....I welcome opinion but desire experience with this particular jet.......I'm getting close to "maiden flight" of my F18 and any suggestions on setup with the flight controls and balance is what I'm looking for....

Thanks,
Marc
Marc,

You don't say which version, FG layup or HC, you have. My experience with the FG layup jet was actually very good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeCq...fkJ2JzD3Dvi-Ew

Flaps: Take off 15mm Landing 35mm at the root tip
Ailerons: 20mm at the tip
Rudders: 30mm at the tip
Stabs: 65mm at the root
CG: 190mm at the root

Elev Mix: Takeoff flap : up 10mm
Landing flap: up 20mm

On the Takeoff roll hold close to full up elevator from the start, to keep the nose from dipping down. As soon as you notice the nose getting light, quickly release most of the up input. Use dual rates, or triple if you have them. Set them a little above and below controls throws I listed and determine which feels best in flight.

This experience is for the early FG layup only. If it's the HC version, I'd have to agree with Randy: bag it! I have not heard of any good experiences with it.

Best of luck!

David S

Last edited by David Searles; 04-12-2014 at 06:55 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:47 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Randy is just another of the elite class. We surfs aren't worthy. Same stupid snark, different clown.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:09 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
Randy is just another of the elite class. We surfs aren't worthy. Same stupid snark, different clown.
Man, that's some chip you've got on your shoulder... Too bad you're not one of the "elite class" or you could post your *actual experience* (good or bad) with a jet when someone asks for it instead of sniping at someone who does...

Bob
Old 04-12-2014, 03:28 PM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

Originally Posted by Randy M.
Where was the landing?

**just saw the response**

s

Last edited by smaze17; 04-12-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:30 PM
Randy M.

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
The op asked for specific experience with this airplane. That's what I gave. I've never been called one of the "elite class" before.
Hardly the case. My jets and other planes are bought with hard earned cash. Usually selling off older ones to get something new. I fly
Older engines that no one else wants to mess with. I drag my scuba bottle to the flight line after I drag it out of my 1994 van. I don't own high end jets. I just fly what I have and try to keep up with no one.
There's you're "elite class" Richard....
Old 04-12-2014, 03:36 PM
Randy M.

Originally Posted by smaze17
Where was the landing?

**just saw the response**

s
If you watch the video, draw a line straight down from the last frame. Not really a landing though.
I may post it soon. It has been a year now. Working on it replacement. A yellow aircraft kit. Old polyester ducted fan elite class version.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:37 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My advice would be to remove everything from the plane and hang it from the ceiling.
One year ago I was in the same position as you. I set mine per instructions, as limited as they are.
Also seemed advice from fej. That was limited as well.
If you're going to fly it anyway, go without the flaps. That's where mine went south.
Some people get replacement airplanes, if they know the right people. I emailed James after my crash, not looking for another plane but
at least an answer as to what may have happened. His answer basically said " we fly, sometimes we crash. Happy Easter Day".
Good luck.
I think this is very good advise. Plus, it shows the lack of cooperation from FEJ and their sales reps.
Use this advise wisely. I do.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:41 PM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

If you watch the video, draw a line straight down from the last frame. Not really a landing though.
I may post it soon. It has been a year now. Working on it replacement. A yellow aircraft kit. Old polyester ducted fan elite class version.
Damn. Sorry to hear that. But the Yellow offering is a very proven airframe. Good choice indeed.

S
Old 04-12-2014, 04:56 PM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I have the older fg 1:6 scale f-18 for twine setup and have one question ,,do the elevators should be balanced or not ,, ? Thanks.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:03 PM
lightningmcnulty
My Feedback: (11)

I'd defiantly like to see the rest of the video, did the flaps depart the plane? Were they live hinged or pin, were the flaps factory installed?

When was the crash, recent or some time ago?

Take your pick on the elevator balancing, it's been done to death here and the opinions are split, I've never done it because I don't like to add weight and I've never seen a problem because of it, other people have and swear by it and have valid theory's about it. I have seen it recommended by some manufacturers and not by others so who knows
Old 04-12-2014, 06:06 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Looking forward to seeing it!

Bob
Old 04-12-2014, 06:27 PM
Randy M.

It's my belief that after I added flaps and the nose pitched down, the elevators fluttered. I think the flaps just disrupted the airflow enough to cause it. The biggest problems fej has had has been with flying stab designs. If I had it to do over, I would build new s tabilators and move the pivot point forward. According to documents in the Ltma section on the ama site, the pivot point on the stabs is to far back. This makes them unstable, balanced or not. I will compare the measurements with the ones on my yellow version. If you are going to fly this airplane, (I assume you will) I would make new stabs at minimum. You may look into the yellow stabs but they may be a bit small as they are standard hornet not super hornet.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:17 PM
rbxbear44

Yea, I'm just about to paint on a CJM F-18E (SuperH but single seater) Kit that is supposed to be 1/6.8 scale and these stabs are so much different than the FEJ ones I had on my 1/7 scale. Pivot points are forward as they should be and the stabs are very well built...and so is the pivot/housing/former boxes too!

Rex
Old 04-12-2014, 07:31 PM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I think to do just a little balance weight to stay in between all opinion ,the stab is big and made of plywood balsa and fiberglasscoated with ss steal rot looks good and the structure is much ridged than honeycomb + I going to inject some aeropoxy to the weak elements have medium filling with positive aprouche have two p-160 to power and some reinforcement ideas ,for now I'm finishing the 1:4 scale panther and if I have time the skymaster mig-28 with two vt-80s .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	1986508   Click image for larger version

Views:	322
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	1986509   Click image for larger version

Views:	344
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1986510   Click image for larger version

Views:	641
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	1986511  

Last edited by sysiek; 04-12-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:48 PM
mach92goose
My Feedback: (6)

WOW....I posted this morning....thought I would get a few hits....this is a great start...

Randy M, rbxbear44 and David Searles....thank you for the input...

David S, that was the info I was looking for...the one I have IS NOT a HC...sounds like FEJ went wrong with the HC version?

rbxbear44, thanks for the heads up on the flaps...also, did you have the same control throws and CG as David S...if you have something different, send it my way so I can compare notes!

Randy...sorry about your plane...I'v had the good and bad flights, (here is a link to one of the good's...ps, ignore the crapy takeoff...i got spooked! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODy4Q1ktCdg ) but its always the bad's that haunt me....you mentioned a couple times about flutter but you said "I believe ...", did you actually see the stabilator flutter with the flaps or is that an assumption?

For all with any interest....this FEJ F18 was built in 2009....When I got it, I ripped everything out of it and have installed all new...I went over everything I could get my hands on...the plane seems solid (probable since its the older version...) and heavy...Im flying it with a KingTech170....

I know that there have been problems with FEJ based on comments read prior to me buying it.....I have seen video's of good flying 1/7 FEJ F18's.....There must be good ones out there....correct?

....I fly what I build...I listen to ALL post and appreciate them, so KEEP THEM POSTS COMING!!!......Thanks again...

My moto is "Its a model until it flies, then its a plane!"
Old 04-13-2014, 01:39 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Any new pictures?
Originally Posted by rbxbear44
Yea, I'm just about to paint on a CJM F-18E (SuperH but single seater) Kit that is supposed to be 1/6.8 scale and these stabs are so much different than the FEJ ones I had on my 1/7 scale. Pivot points are forward as they should be and the stabs are very well built...and so is the pivot/housing/former boxes too!

Rex

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.