Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Lucky day for Rcpete

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Lucky day for Rcpete

Old 04-13-2014, 01:34 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HI Peter, when I first got the 220, was disappointed at the lack of instructions, but that changed quickly when it started right out of the box, in what seemed like 3 seconds. Fastest turbine start up I have ever seen, and the sound makes you smille, ear to ear, outstanding turbine.
Rcpete
Old 04-13-2014, 01:41 PM
rcpete347

Well I am lost for words, tonight I powered up the Futura and all works, as it did yesturday morning. The only difference is the turbine was running when the PB started to fail.
Rcpete
Old 04-13-2014, 03:16 PM
bonehead2434
My Feedback: (179)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey rc pete ,,good to know you found this problem before it was in the air ,,,,,,i lost my ultra lightning last season ,,powerbox failed in front of me at one foot off ground while landing ,,it also worked flawless and never gave me a hint of problem ,,,but as my plane rolled over i seen both elevators in different directions moving up and down and if that happened in the air i would never knew what happened ,,my best clue might be when the flaps were down burnt something from draw through box ,,this is why im saying this my receiver was burnt up ,(never had this happen ) batts where completely ruined ,so i used new 7.4 batts thinking batts went out (the ruined duralite plus batts )but when i plugged the flaps in from box to brand new receiver the needles to flaps burnt completly off ,the receiver ,(try to explain that to horizon two receivers) but they took care of me ,,guys im glad the box works for you and i am with you but ive lost a fortune because of what im sure was due to the power box system ,good luck whoever uses it i hope you never have a problem as bad as what happened to me or other guys but this was on a plane that had only 50 flights ,,im learning on how to use my powersafe and good life batts now and i tell everyone who asks me ,,and im sure that one potential problem is missing now

Last edited by bonehead2434; 04-13-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:34 PM
Peter A
My Feedback: (34)

Originally Posted by rcpete347
Well I am lost for words, tonight I powered up the Futura and all works, as it did yesturday morning. The only difference is the turbine was running when the PB started to fail.
Rcpete
Get it checked out by PowerBox nonetheless. They have very good service.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:05 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulCantree
I think sometimes you jet guys overcomplicate your installations with too much high tech which is just more stuff to go wrong as has happened in these cases. Power boxes, S Bus and so on is this all really necessary. I feel that a receiver and 2 batteries is all you need in this regard.

I cant help thinking that you are creating your own problems
100% agree

I bought Jets that comes with power box and rip them out...Batt..Switch..Receivers ..that's all I need Just my opinion.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:21 AM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Rcpete

Pete,

Does this engine use a single channel ? or is there an aux ? I had an issue once with a Powerbox (non srs ) and a JetCat ECU. In my case I was using the throttle and aux channels to the ECU both going through the power box. For whatever reason, when powered on, this created a loop/short somewhere and cables would start to fry. I ended up connecting these 2 channels directly to my receiver and never had the problem again. I spoke to Bob Wilcox about this and he saw no way there would be a short/loop anywhere based on the set up, but it was an anomaly that almost caused a whole plane to go up on fire if i had not been looking at the cables . Powerbox and ECU both checked out fine. .. go figure.

Voy
Old 04-14-2014, 09:39 AM
f106jax
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pete,

Do you know what version your firmware is? I'm also using an 18MZ with 2 7008 receivers and had intermittent glitches on the elevator when the PB Royal SRS had V1.0 firmware. I've since updated to V4.0 but have not had the chance to power the system up since the update.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:18 PM
rcpete347

HI, how do you know which firmware your Power Box has.
Rcpete
Old 04-15-2014, 01:38 PM
Jack Diaz
My Feedback: (1)

Answered by Rc4flying below

Jack

Last edited by Jack Diaz; 04-15-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:27 PM
rc4flying
My Feedback: (21)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

rcpete,
During the power up of the PowerBox Royal, There will be a version of software in the lower right corner of the display screen. The newest version is V.4.0

Last edited by rc4flying; 04-15-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:43 PM
rcpete347

HI, when I power up, I do not see the version.
Rcpete
Old 04-15-2014, 05:52 PM
rcpete347

HI all, I think I might have found the reason the Power box opened two matched channels when the turbine was running, bad install.
I can not think of any other reason the PB failed, but from static electricity from a bad install, the pump and fuel lines too close to the receiver and Power box, see pic and see if you guys agree.
First runs in Florida where hot and humid, in Canada last week, cold and dry.
Rcpete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0439.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	497.4 KB
ID:	1987331   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0440.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	510.1 KB
ID:	1987332  
Old 04-15-2014, 06:37 PM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I think the only problem it's all the wires in order and tide with zip tide the wires don't like to be tide all together in straight line , for complex connection the all should be twisted or loose ,,rats neast ,, than no statick charge and dibble signal confusion .one more think no more dean connection for me the creating static arc on the folate use round blue or multiplex .

Last edited by sysiek; 04-15-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:43 PM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I think the only problem it's all the wires in order and tide with zip tide the wires don't like to be tide all together in straight line , for complex connection the all should be twisted or loose ,,rats neast ,, than no statick charge and signal confusion .
Old 04-15-2014, 11:55 PM
mauryr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

----- the big one is, if you have a stalled servo, it is taken out of the circuit and still have a chance to land your plane.

This is not true: there's a video around that shows mr emmerich proving exactly the opposite on a powerbox royal.
What happens in the video is he shorts 2 (very small gauge) servo wires (black and red).
The other servos keep working while the 2 shorted ones eventually burn out and the circuit breaks.

So all the pbox does is overpower the short and keep feeding the other servos enough current (provided the batteries can keep up and have enough charge left).
Now imagine this happens with a shorted servo, maybe in the tail. Maybe a big servo, with bigger gauge wires.
What happens is your whole line, from the powerbox to the servo, turns into an electric heater, becomes scorching and eventually melts the other wires that run with it, causing a catastrophic failure, or even a fire.

This is exactly the same thing that would happen if you hooked your batteries directly into the servo current feeding line (not through receiver).
Old 04-16-2014, 01:08 PM
rcpete347

A stalled servo or two in a jet, with a Power Box will kill the matched channel it is pluged into, you have to send the PB, back to Germany. I landed a jet with the flaps down gear up , killed the channel and the servo.
A fire in the tail of a jet that melts the Jr 8611 elevator servo wires and is a dead short will kill the whole Power box, it will fry the printed cruits in the Power Box, been their.
Power Boxs are great, too bad they are built, idiot proof.
Rcpete

Last edited by rcpete347; 04-16-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:56 PM
mauryr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A stalled servo or two in a jet, with a Power Box will kill the matched channel it is pluged into, you have to send the PB, back to Germany. I landed a jet with the flaps down gear up , killed the channel and the servo.
A fire in the tail of a jet that melts the Jr 8611 elevator servo wires and is a dead short will kill the whole Power box, it will fry the printed cruits in the Power Box, been their.
Power Boxs are great, too bad they are built, idiot proof.
Rcpete

These will do a better job without sending them back to germany, without frying anything and without causing any fire.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:20 AM
AngusMc
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with proper battery Redundancy, other than that if your receiver or servo fails a powerbox is not going to help you out. too many connections hard to trace, firmware updates etc.

I had a lengthy discussion with one of the radio reps about powerboxes, if JR or Futaba thought they were necessary they would build them and get a bit of the market. (they do build receivers with dual battery inputs so they agree on that)

There are some very large complicated builds that might make sense for the multiple channel outputs but for most Jets/planes I feel they not required

But it is still a hobby we do what we want to make ourselves happy and comfortable

my 2cents

Regardless, Pete glad you didn't go up, that is one beautiful jet, look forward to seeing it in July

AM

Last edited by AngusMc; 04-18-2014 at 11:01 AM.