Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot islanders View Post
    I think people are expecting 2.4 to be flawless have people forgotten how many lockouts people got on 72
    your right! 2.4 is not the be all to end all but futaba is more reliable than others.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by blhollo2 View Post
    WAIT a minute....you DONT sleep with your futaba radio?!.... No one should rip Andy over this posting as it is a very useful info and pretty good topic,very informative.

Now... With that said..No, nothing is going on with futaba, keep calm and carry on.
    Before claiming that Futaba has programming issues, has anyone called the military bases and other government organizations to rule out the possibility that they might be doing some kind of testing or operations that scramble radio waves? All these “blackouts” happened in the west, and there are lots of military bases there. Hmmmm….

After all, the Navy admits that their sonar operations "might" have caused whales to beach themselves.

A case for the X Files?
    We in the Federal Government have no sense of humor that we are aware of.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    As you are learning lockout occurence can happen for reasons some of us dont understand and I am the first admit that I do want to know when it happens what is the likely source etc.it benefits us all.and this forum usually at least for me has been a good source for sharing.what we need toaid in our understanding ....what was the set up .what I initially was turned off by in all honesty was the title of the post.........whats up with futaba?.....then goes on to say I know about a few lockouts but no information to follow.so I think okay here we go with brand bashing which now I see is not truly the focus but a number of posts did take exception and I hate that .how many topics have come on rcu bashing a mfg or tx.so I am in favor of sharing and problem solving.we have big bucks invested in this stuff.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    edited
    Last edited by oliveDrab; 04-22-2014 at 10:14 AM. Reason: off topic
    "We’re retrieving the seed — then we’re done defending the humans."

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Modelers tend to forget how reliable 72mhz is. Other than not needing a pin board I never saw that much advantage in switching. One thing that has become more obvious is the amount of interference that the 72mhz radios could tolerate and the 2.4's can't. The old radios would just sail right on through a momentary glitch and you would probably not even notice. Not so the 2.4
    frequency, a momentary glitch can unbind your radio, hopefully in an position were it has time to rebind. When the first data loggers were available for radios one of our pattern fliers installed the system and scared himself to death with all the glitches he never knew he had! Promptly stopped using the data logger so he would have some peace of mind.
    Larry

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyAndrews View Post
    Heard of a few lock outs are happening close together and with Futaba recently. Everyone please double check your setups and watch out for your antenna position.
    Andy, I think there has been some good discussion and thought on this thread. In a different world your post would have been just fine. Unfortunately, some people are so over the top on brand loyalty that it you have to filter through all the worthless knee jerk reactions and "I never had any problem" posts (no matter what brand is involved).

As I see it, while your post could have been crafted to minimize the inevitable flames anytime there is the mention that there might be problems with a given brand, the punchline of your post was a reminder that we all need - to check our setups and antenna orientation. I don't fly the mentioned brand but it served as a good reminder to me.

Paul

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    FASST Transmitters with FASST Receivers...Bullet Proof !!
    ...rock \"n\" roll ...turn and burn...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    If I duck! You should run lol.
    How did that tree get there???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by blhollo2 View Post
    your right! 2.4 is not the be all to end all but futaba is more reliable than others.

Based on what? IMO all the major brands are only as reliable as the installation leads.

Quote Originally Posted by sierracharlie View Post
    FASST Transmitters with FASST Receivers...Bullet Proof !!
    Sounds logical, in regards to, only time (so far) that this has happened to me was when I was using the 18mz with an non-FASST Futaba receiver. I'm not ruling out all the other possibilities, but it is something to consider, never the less.
    Last edited by SushiHunter; 04-22-2014 at 01:28 PM.
    SIG Brotherhood #43
    I've always been the "Go big or stay home" type of guy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Wow! first I can't believe I actually read all seven pages! I need to congratulate the OP for stating he did mistakenly start this thread and apologized for the issues created.
    In all fairness yes, he should have named names but with the lack of info originally posted it was not hard for me to originally think "Troll" and to a small degree maybe I still do.
    Yes there has been plenty of really good information presented here but its also available to anyone who buys a radio, its in their manual!
    Am I a Futaba flyer? yes! and I also own JR, Spektrum, and have owned Hitec as well (dont get me started on Airtronics!) In the end its just fly what you like and be happy!

Antonio Joaquin Torre de la Mancha

Wow! I can't believe you read through all seven pages either. I didn't and replying was like rolling the dice for me, either I was going to provide additional helpful info or something already provided by someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by cooper998 View Post
    Wow! first I can't believe I actually read all seven pages! I need to congratulate the OP for stating he did mistakenly start this thread and apologized for the issues created.
    In all fairness yes, he should have named names but with the lack of info originally posted it was not hard for me to originally think "Troll" and to a small degree maybe I still do.
    Yes there has been plenty of really good information presented here but its also available to anyone who buys a radio, its in their manual!
    Am I a Futaba flyer? yes! and I also own JR, Spektrum, and have owned Hitec as well (dont get me started on Airtronics!) In the end its just fly what you like and be happy!

Antonio Joaquin Torre de la Mancha
    SIG Brotherhood #43
    I've always been the "Go big or stay home" type of guy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Your favorite brand is no better than your knowledge of how to use it.
    It's been 9 years since I got my first 2.4 air setup
    apparently the" mysteries" of 2.4 and claims are as goofy as they ever were --
    Libby is still watching you

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Im futaba- hi-tech 72MHZ as well as 2.4 both brands! In all reality I have seen some very poor installations via magazines and at club events! Where some guys just throw the system in the plane! And have no issues what so ever. Than again. I have seen very careful set ups that had all kinds of trouble! I don't know what's going on anymore. Seems to be different areas in the world! There is one spot at a field I fly at. That FM 72mhz likes to glitch! Then with the 2.4 the throttle goes into failsafe! Not always tho! Kinda crazy but it happened to me twice now! 2.4! The 72mhz gets really nuts in the same spot! I just steer clear and have a ball! When im flying my giant scale gassers I know I have a good solid link between me and my plane! Go team Futaba!!!!!
    How did that tree get there???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I know a guy who knows a guy whose cousin flies RC planes and has a transmitter. The plane crashed because of the radio, but I don't know the brand, but I'm pretty sure it has an antenna. He said something about the batteries too. Of course, the tree didn't help. Buyer beware. Don't make the same mistake! Warning, warning, warning!!!!

Can we just please let this thread die?

Jim
    Jim

Jeti USA Flight Team, bavarianDEMON / DemonAero team, MKS Servos USA, National Vice-President - Jet Pilots Organization
    http://www.espritmodel.com, http://www.demonaero.com, http://www.mksservosusa.com, http://www.jetpilots.org

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Jim that is too funny.

I think one problem here is that people pick (perhaps unknowingly) what are inflammatory titles for the posts so every time it gets bumped it's like a neon sign in everyone's face. Perhaps after a topic is aired out a bit and all the bile is vented, the OP could rename the title to something more descriptive and less dramatic based on whatever info was offered .. which is the legitimate purpose of a question here after all.

I know several manufacturers, small businesses mostly, who make a big commitment to serve our community, who are tremendously upset when people do this to them. I know in this case it was not done for that purpose and the person posting does not have that intent at all .. but it is terribly unfair to essentially use RCU as a smear machine for the many cases where it is intentional. Hence we are sensitized to it and some feel compelled to take sides even if not adding anything of any use to the discussion. RCU is too valuable a tool to waste in this way.

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Ouch foot in mouth.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by ww2birds View Post
    Jim that is too funny.

I think one problem here is that people pick (perhaps unknowingly) what are inflammatory titles for the posts so every time it gets bumped it's like a neon sign in everyone's face. Perhaps after a topic is aired out a bit and all the bile is vented, the OP could rename the title to something more descriptive and less dramatic based on whatever info was offered .. which is the legitimate purpose of a question here after all.

I know several manufacturers, small businesses mostly, who make a big commitment to serve our community, who are tremendously upset when people do this to them. I know in this case it was not done for that purpose and the person posting does not have that intent at all .. but it is terribly unfair to essentially use RCU as a smear machine for the many cases where it is intentional. Hence we are sensitized to it and some feel compelled to take sides even if not adding anything of any use to the discussion. RCU is too valuable a tool to waste in this way.

Dave
    RCU won't let me change the title. I've tried several times...
    The bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the sweet taste of low price is forgotten.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    well, If it helps:

Andy, after 27 years of cars and trucks, My son is getting me into planes, and this thread helped point out the significance of installs and antenna orientation that may save a kit that otherwise would have crashed (ok, I'm sure I'll crash anyway). If nothing else, it was a good read for the information it did have.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyAndrews View Post
    RCU won't let me change the title. I've tried several times...
    PM me (or any of the jet mods) what you want to change the title to and we'll get it changed

Ken
    The take off is optional, but the landing is MANDATORY!!
    RCU Forum Manager
    www.gettingairborne.com
    RCKen Publications
    Brotherhood's
    Ultra Sport Brother #1
    Sig Brotherhood #4
    Balsa USA #4

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by rcjets_63 View Post
    I know a guy who knows a guy whose cousin flies RC planes and has a transmitter. The plane crashed because of the radio, but I don't know the brand, but I'm pretty sure it has an antenna. He said something about the batteries too. Of course, the tree didn't help. Buyer beware. Don't make the same mistake! Warning, warning, warning!!!!

Can we just please let this thread die?

Jim
    HaHaHa, everyone's a comedian... don't give up your day job ;-)
    The bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the sweet taste of low price is forgotten.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by oneaew@msn.com View Post
    i got 10 futaba radios and i dont knock any radio to each his own
    You DO know that you can store more than one model on each radio, right?

Regards,

Astro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Nice new title!
    Jim Branaum AMA 1428
    Sig Brotherhood 30 Sig Kadet Brotherhood 99
    P-51 Brotherhood 53 P-38 Brotherhood 18 Club Saito 806
    Spitfire Brotherhood 204 P-40 Brotherhood 95

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot islanders View Post
    I think people are expecting 2.4 to be flawless have people forgotten how many lockouts people got on 72
    The mfr's advertize flawless 2.4Ghz behavior, then back off in the fine print!
    You also get into the analog vs. digital pros and cons.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    WOW
    I was following this the past few days, watching all the BS being posted and pretty much just stopped watching it. Saw the title change tonight, and just read the thru the rest. Sounds like thru all the mud slinging, name calling, and general BS, some usefull info has been shared.

I for one would like to thank Andy for starting this, and taking a lot of undeserved heat. I was one of those guys flying with the antenna pointed horizontal and Andy, you starting this may have just saved one on my planes

THANK YOU!
    P-38 Lightning Brotherhood #1
    P-51 Mustang Brotherhood #51

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast