Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Poor Transmitter Antenna Positioning may Cause Lockouts

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Poor Transmitter Antenna Positioning may Cause Lockouts

Old 04-30-2014, 02:57 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW, I've been flying Futaba since 1988. This was my first radio-related failure in 26 years.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:21 PM
gsmarino2000

Amazing how passionate and defensive people are about their radios. I'd be willing to fly any of the major brands 2.4 systems myself. A wide variety are flown at our field and all appear to be highly reliable. We have crashes but rarely if ever radio related.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:11 PM
jofunk

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I was talking with a member of the club near the Joliet Raceway in Illinois who is also a member of my club. He said they were having some problems with their 2.4 systems on race days. They did some investigating and found out that the TV blimp and other equipment used on race day transmit some pretty strong signals on a good range of 2.4 frequencies. The club is close to the point of not flying on race days. Could there be something to this or is it just unfortunate coincidence that they had some trouble on race days. I am not a radio signal expert. I just use the equipment to fly my planes.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:24 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eddie, try an antenna installation like this. The antennas are in the inner pushrods from Sullivan. They are none conductive and keep the antennas at 90 degrees from each other. If you follow the manufacturer's installation instructions, your radios won't be prone to failures. Dan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Dscn2469.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	1991780  
Old 05-01-2014, 03:48 PM
eddieC

Thanx Dan, I'll share that tip also.

Jofunk, the 2.4 issue you describe has been seen elsewhere. Also the heli fliers on RunRyder noticed years ago that their servos sometimes glitched when their iPhones rang. Seems they emit a stronger signal when interrogating or being interrogated by cell towers. Many of them decided to leave the phone off and in the car.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:54 PM
sidgates

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jofunk,
Some R/C radios have the ability to monitor the 2.4GIG band. I can hook my Weatronic Transmitter RF module to a laptop computer and monitor the band. I do this before flying at a new area.