Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Poor Transmitter Antenna Positioning may Cause Lockouts

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Poor Transmitter Antenna Positioning may Cause Lockouts

Old 04-19-2014, 07:21 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Poor Transmitter Antenna Positioning may Cause Lockouts

Heard of a few lock outs are happening close together and with Futaba recently. Everyone please double check your setups and watch out for your antenna position.

Thanks,
Andy

Last edited by RCKen; 04-22-2014 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Originally posted in an inappropriate way
Old 04-19-2014, 07:57 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyAndrews
And these are from pretty big names in the hobby. It seems strange that all of these lock outs are happening close together and all Futaba. Not trying to start a radio war here. Just concerned and curious.

Any changes lately to Futaba systems? Manufacturing etc?

Thanks,

Andy

Andy,

Without details, its hard to say what is/might be, going on. I have thousands of flights on FASST - many, many at ranges and in RF environments much above what we typically see in our models (even jets), without any problems.

We'd need to know what their setup was, what were the circumstances, etc. For example, I believe, as he does, that Erik's lockout was due to the Powerbox...

Bob
Old 04-19-2014, 08:31 PM
jofunk

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Andy,

I ditto Bob. My FASST has worked flawless for years, In jets, gas, glow, and electric. I have yet to see someone flying a Futaba FASST system have what they think is radio problem. What exactly did you hear about the 8 instances?

Joe
Old 04-19-2014, 08:33 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I'm not at liberty to say who. I can say that I personally saw one at Tuscon and know first hand on another that happened this week in AZ. The person I was talking to said he knew of six others recently. All out west.

Like I said I don't want to start a transmitter war. Just curious if Futaba has done something different recently.

I guess it's a silly question. Just seems odd that these are all Futaba systems and recent. And I've never really heard any problems with the new Futaba systems. It's just strange. That's all.

Last edited by AndyAndrews; 04-19-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:39 PM
jzuniga
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No disrespect Andy, but if your not at liberty to say who, then this is all rumor and hearsay?
BTW, two plus yrs w/ Futaba FASST and no hiccups… fingers crossed.

Z
Old 04-19-2014, 09:37 PM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I'm not at liberty to say who. I can say that I personally saw one at Tuscon and know first hand on another that happened this week in AZ. The person I was talking to said he knew of six others recently. All out west.

Like I said I don't want to start a transmitter war. Just curious if Futaba has done something different recently.

I guess it's a silly question. Just seems odd that these are all Futaba systems and recent. And I've never really heard any problems with the new Futaba systems. It's just strange. That's all.
Andy,
All due respect, but it sounds as a transmitter war is what you are trying to start. If you are going to make the allegation about 8 specific lockouts you should be prepared to give up your so-called secret sources. Unfortunately it makes you look as if you are just trying to start a rumor. What would be the difference if I started a thread on another site that went, "Hey I heard Andy Andrews was arrested for 8 different charges!" and when asked who said it, all I could say was "Oh I can't divulge my source." It makes me look like an ass for even saying one word without being willing to provide some kind of proof. This is the kind of post that reminds me of the national enquirer when they have grainy/fuzzy pictures of bigfoot.
Oh and been flying FASST since it came out without one lockup and I fly nitro, gas, helis, electric, and jets.

Patrick
Old 04-19-2014, 10:12 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Would be nice to know what model transmitter & receivers were involved were all lock outs withe same set up model wise? And how old was the radios involved?
Old 04-20-2014, 12:03 AM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sirrom
Andy,
All due respect, but it sounds as a transmitter war is what you are trying to start. If you are going to make the allegation about 8 specific lockouts you should be prepared to give up your so-called secret sources. Unfortunately it makes you look as if you are just trying to start a rumor. What would be the difference if I started a thread on another site that went, "Hey I heard Andy Andrews was arrested for 8 different charges!" and when asked who said it, all I could say was "Oh I can't divulge my source." It makes me look like an ass for even saying one word without being willing to provide some kind of proof. This is the kind of post that reminds me of the national enquirer when they have grainy/fuzzy pictures of bigfoot.
Oh and been flying FASST since it came out without one lockup and I fly nitro, gas, helis, electric, and jets.

Patrick
Exactly.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:02 AM
bjr_93tz

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Early Futaba 2.4 RX's were believed to have had (did have?) heat related issues that disappeared with the introduction of the "gold dot" Futaba RX's.

Maybe there is something funny going on. Names aren't important but details regarding equipment and environment would be productive.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:46 AM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

14MZ & 18MZ, FASST & FASSTEST turbine & EDF jets, 4 years, no hiccups.. Fingers crossed
Old 04-20-2014, 03:47 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

2 10c's 10 RX's 4 solid years of FASST, no lockouts
Old 04-20-2014, 04:13 AM
bluescoobydoo

one word "TROLL"
mods please delete this thread as it is completely unfounded with no proof what so ever and will not ever come to anything positive for anyone
Old 04-20-2014, 04:21 AM
Couch Potato

Don't worry, I'll add some balance to this interesting debate.

Is something going on with JR? I've heard of over 8 lockouts recently.

And these are from pretty big names in the hobby. It seems strange that all of these lock outs are happening close together and all JR. Not trying to start a radio war here. Just concerned and curious.

Any changes lately to JR systems? Manufacturing etc?

Thanks,
Nonny Moose.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:21 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

i have 10 futaba all on 72 no trouble you will hear bad things about all radios been flying since 1950 all futaba detron citizeship you name then ive had them i dont like to talk bad about any thing in rc
Old 04-20-2014, 04:47 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

When a guy like Andy says that there is something wrong happening, is better to keep alert. He could be wrong, but he is not a troll, definetively.

I also have no doubt that Futaba fasst radios can fly properly a jet, but anyways is a good idea to re-check everything in the jets and also study if something changed in the RF enviroment wich may caused those crashes.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:51 AM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andy's not a troll/trolling. Keep in mind we've had problems with 2.4 transmit and receive issues in the past and it's us in the hobby that seem to discover them at the loss of an expensive model. The manufacturers seem to be constantly changing protocols so it's definitely not out of the realm to have a problem with a new protocol or perhaps the s-bus system, etc. Remember the spate of brown outs?

Im a futaba fan and I think (could be wrong) that Andy flies some futaba as well. We discover these trends by posts just like this and others stepping forward with either a "yes I know..." Or conversely "have no and heard of no problems".

its simply a matter of collecting information and gauging the community regarding a concern.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:54 AM
CafeenMan

Wait a minute!! Futaba has Bigfoot???
Old 04-20-2014, 04:55 AM
bruceal

I don't know, I've been witness to a lot of unbindings and lockouts by another major brand, but my Futaba's have been rock solid. When I put a new plane together I go to the opposite end of the house and power down and do a range check. Somtimes I'll walk a block away, goes through walls and doors. Of course anything is possible but without facts this claim seems unfounded.

"Not just FAST, Futaba FASST!"
Old 04-20-2014, 04:58 AM
bruceal

The 617's are now made in China, but they still work just as good too.

"Not just FAST, Futaba FASST!"
Old 04-20-2014, 05:01 AM
bruceal

Originally Posted by ChuckC
Andy's not a troll/trolling. Keep in mind we've had problems with 2.4 transmit and receive issues in the past and it's us in the hobby that seem to discover them at the loss of an expensive model. The manufacturers seem to be constantly changing protocols so it's definitely not out of the realm to have a problem with a new protocol or perhaps the s-bus system, etc. Remember the spate of brown outs?

Im a futaba fan and I think (could be wrong) that Andy flies some futaba as well. We discover these trends by posts just like this and others stepping forward with either a "yes I know..." Or conversely "have no and heard of no problems".

its simply a matter of collecting information and gauging the community regarding a concern.
I would still like specifics. If these were larger models the problem could be the powerbox.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:02 AM
bluescoobydoo

we need solid proof of what is being said not just stories of what someone heard, just like the justice system of the civilised world, no good comes from unfounded stories
Old 04-20-2014, 05:18 AM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

I too, have had hunderds of Futaba flight's 10c-9c-7c on 2.4. I have witnessed 1000's of others. On the other hand I have personally seen 10 other "brand lockouts". We fly near a industrial park. Lots of interference. In the past with 72 you could tell if your reciever filters were bad.....you could see the giltches. Not to "diss" the other brands.......... we need to know if this are "new" receivers, a Newer Futaba radio perhaps? A jet installation, Gas or what? We need more info...................
Old 04-20-2014, 05:32 AM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've personally experienced lockout issues with another brand (and of course everyone knows what the brand is, let's not BS each other). But my FASST 10C has been rock solid for years. Truly, the only brand I trust for my big / valuable stuff is Futaba.

And yes- either put up the specifics, or you are just a rumor monger.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:42 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

#1 - Andy is not the kind of person to be associated with the word, "troll."
#2 - See #1
#3 - The specifics of the radios (type), receiver, use of powerbox or not, battery condition (which could really be the problem), and the year the TX was made would be very important to see if a pattern exists.
#4 - So far, the only pattern I see is that the "problems" all happened in the West. Maybe there is something going on in the Western States we don't know about?
#5 - I've been using Futaba FASST 10CAG for almost 9 years ... problem free.

Last edited by Airplanes400; 04-20-2014 at 05:45 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:05 AM
bob sherman
My Feedback: (3)

I too would really like to know #1 radio model #2 battery size/maker/model #3 " WHO" " WHERE "& " WHEN " as with ANY 'issue' on anything should begin with * F * A * C * T * S * first. Please be fair to everybody so 'IF' there is a 'problem' we can be informed before a 'lost of a plane or lose of a life ' THANKS

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.