Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Poor Transmitter Antenna Positioning may Cause Lockouts

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Poor Transmitter Antenna Positioning may Cause Lockouts

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 04:06 AM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot islanders
I think people are expecting 2.4 to be flawless have people forgotten how many lockouts people got on 72
your right! 2.4 is not the be all to end all but futaba is more reliable than others.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:13 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blhollo2
WAIT a minute....you DONT sleep with your futaba radio?!.... No one should rip Andy over this posting as it is a very useful info and pretty good topic,very informative.

Now... With that said..No, nothing is going on with futaba, keep calm and carry on.
Before claiming that Futaba has programming issues, has anyone called the military bases and other government organizations to rule out the possibility that they might be doing some kind of testing or operations that scramble radio waves? All these “blackouts” happened in the west, and there are lots of military bases there. Hmmmm….

After all, the Navy admits that their sonar operations "might" have caused whales to beach themselves.

A case for the X Files?
Old 04-22-2014, 06:06 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

As you are learning lockout occurence can happen for reasons some of us dont understand and I am the first admit that I do want to know when it happens what is the likely source etc.it benefits us all.and this forum usually at least for me has been a good source for sharing.what we need toaid in our understanding ....what was the set up .what I initially was turned off by in all honesty was the title of the post.........whats up with futaba?.....then goes on to say I know about a few lockouts but no information to follow.so I think okay here we go with brand bashing which now I see is not truly the focus but a number of posts did take exception and I hate that .how many topics have come on rcu bashing a mfg or tx.so I am in favor of sharing and problem solving.we have big bucks invested in this stuff.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:20 AM
oliveDrab

edited

Last edited by oliveDrab; 04-22-2014 at 08:14 AM. Reason: off topic
Old 04-22-2014, 07:12 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Modelers tend to forget how reliable 72mhz is. Other than not needing a pin board I never saw that much advantage in switching. One thing that has become more obvious is the amount of interference that the 72mhz radios could tolerate and the 2.4's can't. The old radios would just sail right on through a momentary glitch and you would probably not even notice. Not so the 2.4
frequency, a momentary glitch can unbind your radio, hopefully in an position were it has time to rebind. When the first data loggers were available for radios one of our pattern fliers installed the system and scared himself to death with all the glitches he never knew he had! Promptly stopped using the data logger so he would have some peace of mind.
Larry
Old 04-22-2014, 08:04 AM
SkidMan
My Feedback: (17)

Originally Posted by AndyAndrews
Heard of a few lock outs are happening close together and with Futaba recently. Everyone please double check your setups and watch out for your antenna position.
Andy, I think there has been some good discussion and thought on this thread. In a different world your post would have been just fine. Unfortunately, some people are so over the top on brand loyalty that it you have to filter through all the worthless knee jerk reactions and "I never had any problem" posts (no matter what brand is involved).

As I see it, while your post could have been crafted to minimize the inevitable flames anytime there is the mention that there might be problems with a given brand, the punchline of your post was a reminder that we all need - to check our setups and antenna orientation. I don't fly the mentioned brand but it served as a good reminder to me.

Paul
Old 04-22-2014, 09:56 AM
sierracharlie
My Feedback: (21)

FASST Transmitters with FASST Receivers...Bullet Proof !!
Old 04-22-2014, 10:27 AM
warbird72
My Feedback: (79)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I duck! You should run lol.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:01 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by blhollo2
your right! 2.4 is not the be all to end all but futaba is more reliable than others.

Based on what? IMO all the major brands are only as reliable as the installation leads.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:24 AM
SushiHunter

Originally Posted by sierracharlie
FASST Transmitters with FASST Receivers...Bullet Proof !!
Sounds logical, in regards to, only time (so far) that this has happened to me was when I was using the 18mz with an non-FASST Futaba receiver. I'm not ruling out all the other possibilities, but it is something to consider, never the less.

Last edited by SushiHunter; 04-22-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:44 AM
cooper998

Wow! first I can't believe I actually read all seven pages! I need to congratulate the OP for stating he did mistakenly start this thread and apologized for the issues created.
In all fairness yes, he should have named names but with the lack of info originally posted it was not hard for me to originally think "Troll" and to a small degree maybe I still do.
Yes there has been plenty of really good information presented here but its also available to anyone who buys a radio, its in their manual!
Am I a Futaba flyer? yes! and I also own JR, Spektrum, and have owned Hitec as well (dont get me started on Airtronics!) In the end its just fly what you like and be happy!

Antonio Joaquin Torre de la Mancha
Old 04-22-2014, 12:29 PM
SushiHunter

Wow! I can't believe you read through all seven pages either. I didn't and replying was like rolling the dice for me, either I was going to provide additional helpful info or something already provided by someone else.

Originally Posted by cooper998
Wow! first I can't believe I actually read all seven pages! I need to congratulate the OP for stating he did mistakenly start this thread and apologized for the issues created.
In all fairness yes, he should have named names but with the lack of info originally posted it was not hard for me to originally think "Troll" and to a small degree maybe I still do.
Yes there has been plenty of really good information presented here but its also available to anyone who buys a radio, its in their manual!
Am I a Futaba flyer? yes! and I also own JR, Spektrum, and have owned Hitec as well (dont get me started on Airtronics!) In the end its just fly what you like and be happy!

Antonio Joaquin Torre de la Mancha
Old 04-22-2014, 01:34 PM
rmh

Your favorite brand is no better than your knowledge of how to use it.
It's been 9 years since I got my first 2.4 air setup
apparently the" mysteries" of 2.4 and claims are as goofy as they ever were --
Old 04-22-2014, 01:39 PM
warbird72
My Feedback: (79)

Im futaba- hi-tech 72MHZ as well as 2.4 both brands! In all reality I have seen some very poor installations via magazines and at club events! Where some guys just throw the system in the plane! And have no issues what so ever. Than again. I have seen very careful set ups that had all kinds of trouble! I don't know what's going on anymore. Seems to be different areas in the world! There is one spot at a field I fly at. That FM 72mhz likes to glitch! Then with the 2.4 the throttle goes into failsafe! Not always tho! Kinda crazy but it happened to me twice now! 2.4! The 72mhz gets really nuts in the same spot! I just steer clear and have a ball! When im flying my giant scale gassers I know I have a good solid link between me and my plane! Go team Futaba!!!!!
Old 04-22-2014, 01:50 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I know a guy who knows a guy whose cousin flies RC planes and has a transmitter. The plane crashed because of the radio, but I don't know the brand, but I'm pretty sure it has an antenna. He said something about the batteries too. Of course, the tree didn't help. Buyer beware. Don't make the same mistake! Warning, warning, warning!!!!

Can we just please let this thread die?

Jim
Old 04-22-2014, 01:58 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Jim that is too funny.

I think one problem here is that people pick (perhaps unknowingly) what are inflammatory titles for the posts so every time it gets bumped it's like a neon sign in everyone's face. Perhaps after a topic is aired out a bit and all the bile is vented, the OP could rename the title to something more descriptive and less dramatic based on whatever info was offered .. which is the legitimate purpose of a question here after all.

I know several manufacturers, small businesses mostly, who make a big commitment to serve our community, who are tremendously upset when people do this to them. I know in this case it was not done for that purpose and the person posting does not have that intent at all .. but it is terribly unfair to essentially use RCU as a smear machine for the many cases where it is intentional. Hence we are sensitized to it and some feel compelled to take sides even if not adding anything of any use to the discussion. RCU is too valuable a tool to waste in this way.

Dave
Old 04-22-2014, 02:27 PM
asimatt
My Feedback: (26)

Ouch foot in mouth.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:18 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ww2birds
Jim that is too funny.

I think one problem here is that people pick (perhaps unknowingly) what are inflammatory titles for the posts so every time it gets bumped it's like a neon sign in everyone's face. Perhaps after a topic is aired out a bit and all the bile is vented, the OP could rename the title to something more descriptive and less dramatic based on whatever info was offered .. which is the legitimate purpose of a question here after all.

I know several manufacturers, small businesses mostly, who make a big commitment to serve our community, who are tremendously upset when people do this to them. I know in this case it was not done for that purpose and the person posting does not have that intent at all .. but it is terribly unfair to essentially use RCU as a smear machine for the many cases where it is intentional. Hence we are sensitized to it and some feel compelled to take sides even if not adding anything of any use to the discussion. RCU is too valuable a tool to waste in this way.

Dave
RCU won't let me change the title. I've tried several times...
Old 04-22-2014, 03:37 PM
makya
My Feedback: (6)

well, If it helps:

Andy, after 27 years of cars and trucks, My son is getting me into planes, and this thread helped point out the significance of installs and antenna orientation that may save a kit that otherwise would have crashed (ok, I'm sure I'll crash anyway). If nothing else, it was a good read for the information it did have.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:00 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyAndrews
RCU won't let me change the title. I've tried several times...
PM me (or any of the jet mods) what you want to change the title to and we'll get it changed

Ken
Old 04-22-2014, 05:25 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rcjets_63
I know a guy who knows a guy whose cousin flies RC planes and has a transmitter. The plane crashed because of the radio, but I don't know the brand, but I'm pretty sure it has an antenna. He said something about the batteries too. Of course, the tree didn't help. Buyer beware. Don't make the same mistake! Warning, warning, warning!!!!

Can we just please let this thread die?

Jim
HaHaHa, everyone's a comedian... don't give up your day job ;-)
Old 04-22-2014, 06:24 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
i got 10 futaba radios and i dont knock any radio to each his own
You DO know that you can store more than one model on each radio, right?

Regards,

Astro
Old 04-22-2014, 06:28 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Nice new title!
Old 04-22-2014, 06:55 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot islanders
I think people are expecting 2.4 to be flawless have people forgotten how many lockouts people got on 72
The mfr's advertize flawless 2.4Ghz behavior, then back off in the fine print!
You also get into the analog vs. digital pros and cons.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:16 PM
70 ragtop
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW
I was following this the past few days, watching all the BS being posted and pretty much just stopped watching it. Saw the title change tonight, and just read the thru the rest. Sounds like thru all the mud slinging, name calling, and general BS, some usefull info has been shared.

I for one would like to thank Andy for starting this, and taking a lot of undeserved heat. I was one of those guys flying with the antenna pointed horizontal and Andy, you starting this may have just saved one on my planes

THANK YOU!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.