Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Any news the Mibo A-6 intruder?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Any news the Mibo A-6 intruder?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 01:08 PM
Svein Erik Riis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good. Then this plane will be a nice brother for my JL Yak 130 when the time comes.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:13 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Originally Posted by David Jackson
I spoke with Wagner at Jets Over Kentucky. He stated that the Xtreme ARF A-6 will possibly go into production following the release of the Vixen and the F-84. I believe the timetable for the release of the A-6 is around the later part of 2015. If I remember correctly, the fuse of this model will be approximately 110 inches long. Hopefully Wagner will post to this thread and provide accurate info about the Xtreme ARF A-6 (according to my wife, my memory can't be trusted).
Thats 1/6th scale, like mine. Would like to see their gear for it, that will be the real issue and selling point of the model. At that size, the cheapest I see the gear costing would be in the $1500-$1750 range.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:15 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ianober
Thats 1/6th scale, like mine. Would like to see their gear for it, that will be the real issue and selling point of the model. At that size, the cheapest I see the gear costing would be in the $1500-$1750 range.
shhhhh, this isnt skymaster they may read this lol
Old 09-29-2014, 06:02 PM
rchobbymodels

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spoke with Wagner at Jets Over Kentucky. He stated that the Xtreme ARF A-6 will possibly go into production following the release of the Vixen and the F-84. I believe the timetable for the release of the A-6 is around the later part of 2015. If I remember correctly, the fuse of this model will be approximately 110 inches long. Hopefully Wagner will post to this thread and provide accurate info about the Xtreme ARF A-6 (according to my wife, my memory can't be trusted).
David you are right the size will be 110" fuse, I can check later the other sizes like WS etc.. the time frame will be for middle of 2016, I know that they will start the project soon the F84F is finished and F84 is due to be presented at Jetpower next year, I do not know yet if they will have two version, single engine and twin, actually I would like to know from you guys about that. I will be back with more information.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:20 PM
rchobbymodels

Originally Posted by ianober
Ian, I am working very close to this company as I did with FB some years ago and as far I know they want to market their jets at a fair price, when I say fair price does not mean that will be cheap or expensive it means that will be affordable and yet give the company the opportunity to recoup their investments, and have profit.
Talking about landing gear you guys will be amazed from the work on the KAI T50 scale landing gear, this week I received photos of the new optional F100 seat for the new cockpit I will post some of them here but they are white, I asked them to send me the painted ones, when I have it I will post them on the F100 thread, look at the detail level of this ejection seat.

This gives you an idea of what they are looking for at detail level.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	seat1.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	2036236   Click image for larger version

Name:	seat2.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	2036237   Click image for larger version

Name:	seat5.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	2036238   Click image for larger version

Name:	seat9.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	2036239  
Old 09-29-2014, 06:34 PM
FenderBean

It seems like cost should have drop with the ability to 3D print parts for molds and machining prior to investing in machining real parts.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:40 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderBean
It seems like cost should have drop with the ability to 3D print parts for molds and machining prior to investing in machining real parts.
Cost savings are not going to be substantial with low production run products.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:49 PM
FenderBean

I understand that, but this market is the same in that aspect, jets are a small market all around.
Originally Posted by dubd
Cost savings are not going to be substantial with low production run products.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:52 PM
rchobbymodels

3D printing is still expensive, industrial machines runs from $ 150,000 to $ 1,000,000 depend on the table size, material they use to print and so on, but I believe soon we will be able to produce the whole air-frame on a replicator, software we have already, but replication is still expensive.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:55 PM
FenderBean

rchobby, can I throw in one small request for the A-6? Design it with proper hard points in the wings(solid blocks attaching top and bottom of the wings) and nice light weight scale set of ordnance!

Yeah on a large scale, but for smaller things like gear, seats, scale details 3D printing is pretty cheap. I have a friend building me a nice 3D printer so I can make small detail stuff like antennas, light mounts cockpits and stuff like that. The machine and software is about 1500.00 Add another 500-1000 you can do 3D scanning as well, some cool tech out there that will benefit our hobby greatly!

Last edited by FenderBean; 09-29-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:59 PM
rchobbymodels

rchobby, can I throw in one small request for the A-6? Design it with proper hard points in the wings(solid blocks attaching top and bottom of the wings) and nice light weight scale set of ordnance!
I will pass on your request
Old 09-29-2014, 07:02 PM
FenderBean

What ever the cost, I cant wait to own a A-6 in this size! Thanks for chiming in on the conversation! Cheers
Old 09-29-2014, 07:11 PM
rchobbymodels

Yeah on a large scale, but for smaller things like gear, seats, scale details 3D printing is pretty cheap. I have a friend building me a nice 3D printer so I can make small detail stuff like antennas, light mounts cockpits and stuff like that. The machine and software is about 1500.00 Add another 500-1000 you can do 3D scanning as well, some cool tech out there that will benefit our hobby greatly!
The thing is that the home 3D printing material produces rough surfaces that is not suitable for modeling, then you have to use photopolimers or liquid resins to achieve the smooth surface result that you need and you can not do it in a home printer the max that you can do in some models is to use PET resin filaments.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:28 AM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What ever the cost, I cant wait to own a A-6 in this size! Thanks for chiming in on the conversation! Cheers
With a reasonable price tag, the A-6 is the only model I wish to have as a future projects.

Last edited by David Jackson; 09-30-2014 at 05:32 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:53 AM
RCflyerCT
My Feedback: (13)

I am dying to get one of these...hope they make it, as I am in big time for one.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:10 AM
FenderBean

With a reasonable price tag, the A-6 is the only model I wish to have as a future projects.
True, I say what ever the price but cost is a big factor for me. Some models I will never own just because the cost is a bit much, but that is just me.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:24 AM
ianober

Originally Posted by rchobbymodels
Ian, I am working very close to this company as I did with FB some years ago and as far I know they want to market their jets at a fair price, when I say fair price does not mean that will be cheap or expensive it means that will be affordable and yet give the company the opportunity to recoup their investments, and have profit.

Lol, I have heard that before. When a company says a fair price that usually means "I hope you pockets are deep". All I know is what I paid for my 1/6th scale A-6 landing gear and it was NOT cheap and they are extremely detailed. I was very impressed with the level of machine work that went into them. But in such small quantities there is no way that you will be able to make them for significant savings. I dont think most people truly understand how massive a set of 1/6th scale A-6 gear really are, they are HUGE! I am eager to see yours though.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:30 AM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

For a lifelong Intruder fan this is incredible news. Wow. Was hoping it was just a matter of time before a big 6 would come to market. Very exciting indeed.

S

Last edited by smaze17; 09-30-2014 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:39 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Ian,

I know you have seen these gear, and it's probably the same set you have, but for those that haven't seen the Matrix set.

Name:	A-6 Gear1.JPG
Views:	580
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	2036314   Click image for larger version

Name:	A-6 Gear2.JPG
Views:	618
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	2036315   Click image for larger version

Name:	A-6 Main.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	2036316  
Old 09-30-2014, 09:20 AM
FenderBean

Thumbs up

Ianober, Did you buy the gear a while back? Do you think if you bought that same gear today with all the advancements with 3D printing and CNC it would still cost as much? I can imagine how big 1/6 gear is my 1/7th gear are big I can only imagine, something about big planes and jets. Ever since I got in giant 3D planes and now jets anything smaller than my current stuff doesn't appeal to me. Suck for sure as the price tags on the bigger stuff is mind blowing at times, I dont like telling people how much they cost because when you hear the numbers its mind blowing. I look at it like an investment, just a very high risk one LOL

Good productive thread
Old 09-30-2014, 10:29 AM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I was at the Greater SW jet Rally in Waco a few weeks ago and I saw an A-6 that was going to be kitted. It had LG but was setup for two 90mm. I'm sure you could convert it to a turbine. Didn't get any other information on it. Maybe somebody can add to this.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	3.06 MB
ID:	2036326  
Old 09-30-2014, 11:23 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Im probably wrong, but wouldnt it be smarter for Xtreme to release their other models first? I mean i havent seen a single person other than the thread that Xtreme/wagner started about an Xtreme ARF model anywhere. To me that must mean there are not a lot of people interested in them due to a lack of publicity.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:36 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Ianober, Did you buy the gear a while back? Do you think if you bought that same gear today with all the advancements with 3D printing and CNC it would still cost as much? I can imagine how big 1/6 gear is my 1/7th gear are big I can only imagine, something about big planes and jets. Ever since I got in giant 3D planes and now jets anything smaller than my current stuff doesn't appeal to me. Suck for sure as the price tags on the bigger stuff is mind blowing at times, I dont like telling people how much they cost because when you hear the numbers its mind blowing. I look at it like an investment, just a very high risk one LOL

Good productive thread
Fender,
3D printing saves exactly ZERO dollars when it comes to the actual manufacturing of the landing gear. Yes, Zero, Zilch, Nada!

The reason is because you still have to have the machines to cut the metal (lathe, Mill, rotart tables, blah blah blah), the cutting bits, reamers, center drills, the actual materials for the parts and then there is everything people dont see, that would be all of the holding fixtures (many of which are custom and specific to one part that cant be used on anything but that part). For my F14 gear, the physical gear parts are relatively cheap, but because of all the custom holding fixtures needed, for one off parts imthe price basically triples due to their being 5 times more parts.
For instance, my main landing gear strut (just the top half) requires 8 different parts that are used just to hold the strut in place so other machining operations can be done. Luckily these can be used for left and right, but when their are 4 parts per main gear strut that require up to 8 different holding fixture parts, you can see why the price doesnt change. You have to have this stuff to make the gear.

Where 3D printed parts do save you money are on highly complex parts that would require multiple pieces to make. Cockpit parts are perfect for 3D printing, but the stuff that gives the greatest detail (the liquid resins) also have the highest cost. There is only one affordable 3D printer on the market that uses UV light cured resins, the printed is around $4,000 and the resin is $100 per liter! It also only has a 4x4x4" build area.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:58 PM
FenderBean

Invent I understand that but it can be used to cut all the detail parts to attach to the gear, plus its a lot cheaper to make gear with 3D printing to check fit and improve on the design before you go in to production using the real materials. Like I said it should reduce cost not eliminate it, my only point was that it should be cheaper to produce a gear vs years ago.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:05 PM
ianober

Originally Posted by George
Ian,

I know you have seen these gear, and it's probably the same set you have, but for those that haven't seen the Matrix set.

Yes George, those are my gear. I got them from Matrix some time ago.

Fender, if I were to buy those gear now I bet they would cost even more than what I paid for them. The gear are gorgeous though, very well done by John.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.