Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Gryphon EVO - First Flight Report

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Gryphon EVO - First Flight Report

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 06:08 PM
Jeremy_D

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Gryphon EVO - First Flight Report

Hi guys,

Thought I would share some pics of my new Gryphon EVO from yesterday's outing.

I had four great flights on it and really enjoyed the way it flew. The plane came in at 9.9kgs dry and is powered with a new M100XBL. The maiden flight was a non event, it only needed a click of up trim and a few clicks of right and it was flying level. It is a really smooth flyer and tracks very well in the air. I'm going to increase my flap from 50 deg to see if I can get a little more drag on landing but other than that all settings are perfect.

The quality of the kit is superb, lots of carbon, very light and very nicely finished and an easy build. I also outfitted the plane with Electron ER-40's, the new Xicoy trailing links and electric breaks. So far they are all working great and make it very convenient not to have to take my air gun to the field.

I've got some video from one of the flights (Not great but shows take off and landing clearly) and another with an on board video.

If anyone is building one of these I have a heap of photos from my build in an album on my FB page which should help you out. - https://www.facebook.com/aussiejets

http://youtu.be/R5yfDKdhZus

http://youtu.be/xmHVmvs7LfQ

Cheers

Jeremy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	EVO.jpg
Views:	1620
Size:	651.3 KB
ID:	1988815  

Last edited by Jeremy_D; 04-21-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:56 AM
newshoundaussie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any idea who to contact about purchase of the EVO, I live in Canada? Sent emails to Italy and Global jet club USA, no response back.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:04 AM
Jeremy_D

I've now logged 9 flights on the gryphon EVO and am happy to report it is going well so far. The last few flights I have been really pushing it with a lot of full throttle flying. It performs large aerobatics really well and moves quite quickly once it is on step. The M100 is plenty of power and pushes it around nicely.

I upped my landing flap to 60deg and this really helps slow it down. I'm going to start playing with mixing in some crow as well. I used this on my Viper and I really liked the way it sat on landing approaches.

I was flying in a light cross wind and there was a bit of wiggle in the air but I put this down to the winglets as my viper showed the same characteristics in cross winds. I'm going to have a few flights without the winglets to see what it's like.

Electron gear got a good test as well at a fun fly I flew at on the weekend. The field we were flying at was quite rough and the gear took a beating and except for a bent nose pin from hitting the one invisible bump on take off (See pic) the ER-40 and Xicoy trailing link struts took the beating well. Retract mounts also were up to the job which is pleasing.

Newshound, Contact Mike of Jose, they should be able to help you out.

I've included a pic below of my EVO flying loose formation with my old GJC Viperjet which my friend now owns and flies. It was great to get them up together.

Cheers

Jeremy

Name:	rc_17may14_0586.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	1996853   Click image for larger version

Name:	rc_17may14_0603.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	920.6 KB
ID:	1996854   Click image for larger version

Name:	rc_17may14_0624.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	1996855   Click image for larger version

Name:	rc_17may14_0642.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	1996856   Click image for larger version

Name:	rc_17may14_0719.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	1996857   Click image for larger version

Name:	rc_17may14_0732.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	1996858  
Old 08-01-2017, 07:33 AM
gooseF22

Where did your CG end up? I just picked one of these up getting ready for first flight, but it feels nose heavy to me
Old 08-01-2017, 01:01 PM
Jeremy_D

1cm in front of the leading edge of the spar. This was with winglets on.

Winglets off needed a click click or two of up trim as it felt slightly nose heavy

Name:	IMG_4982.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	2226485  
Old 08-02-2017, 12:19 PM
gooseF22

Awesome thank you.. will be flying it in the next few days..