Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Elite Aerosport Shockwave is here!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Elite Aerosport Shockwave is here!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 07:52 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew Bird
Got mine today. Really excited to get it finished. Going to be running a Behotec 220, powerbox competition on JR xbus

new ones come with nose door and canopy installed looks like.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:16 AM
melvin
My Feedback: (3)

Are these jets made in America or are they bult by Comp/Arf in Taiwan?
Old 05-28-2015, 10:26 AM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Andrew, glad to see it arrived safely! Looks great!! Love the scheme!

Wes, Your jet looked great at FIF!

The Shockwave is OEM for Elite Aerosports by the Carf factory in Thailand.
We did the design work, built the plugs and molds, and built and flew the first prototype all here in the USA. This was a very costly endeavor to complete here in the USA.
It was David Shulmans dream to build the Shockwave. Expert designer, Dana Rieman, was enlisted to do the most perfect design and between David Shulman, Dana and a little help from myself we created the Shockwave.
After extensive R&D and testing when then decided to go with the best ARF model maker in the world and sent our plugs and mold to Andreas Gietz at Carf Models.
Andreas made many improvements after receiving our plugs and molds. These improvement were another huge investment to help create a great flying, unbreakable jet. Andreas' knowledge and techniques of the ARF industry are second to none and he perfected the model we have today.
We did not go the cheap route knowing if we did things correctly we would have a successful model. We did not simply send a drawing to Asia and cross our fingers! lol! We have a huge investment in the Shockwave. Some people might not understand why we are more expensive than a comparative product, but it was very labor intensive and an enormous expense.
We have made many improvements over the years to the Shockwave. The landing gear is completely new top to bottom. Getting the landing gear to where they are today was also a huge investment. I feel we now have the best on the market.
We have also added areas of reinforcement and improved the model in many ways. Todays kits are very high quality.

I have never seen a model flown as aggressively as Pablo Fernandez has flown the Shockwave. He has proven the aircraft to be unbreakable and explored its outer limits of flying capabilities.
I never knew a jet was capable of some flight characteristics til I saw David Shulman, Ali Machinchy, Pablo Fernandez, and Azza Stephens flying the Shockwave. Each of them have trademark maneuvers that really impress me.
We learn things about the jet every day and are always trying new things. We have found you can move CG back to 15" without adverse affects and vectored thrust will produce some crazy upright and inverted flat spins.
I flew 4 different Shockwaves at FIF and I can say I loved them all.
Ali once said a poorly setup Shockwave flys great and a great setup flys amazing.
It can be very docile with small throws or very aggressive with high throws.
I inventory just about all spare parts and can do any landing gear repairs needed.
Please feel free to to talk or email any of us for any additional information.
Pablo Fernandez
Scott Marr
Michael Abraira
Ali Machinchy
Azza Stephens
David Shulman
Joe Steklachick
Dantley Davis

Thanks
Scott
Old 05-28-2015, 12:54 PM
DiscoWings

Originally Posted by melvin
Are these jets made in America or are they bult by Comp/Arf in Taiwan?
Melvin,

See if you can find someone that has one locally, you'll find it flies very similar to the ultra lightning. But it does not have the C.g. shift problem the ultra lightning (as fuel drains) has and you don't need to have 15 clicks of up trim to fly neutral. The rest is identical flight envelope.
If composite arf had redesigned the lightning taking cues form this plane would make sense: Top hatch, eliminate inner gear doors, get rid of the belly pan and get rid of the kydney fuel tanks. The landing gear is Ok, behotec struts would have been better as it can handle more weight and abuse. I haven't seen the latest version of the gear but its based on the same stretch spring setup as the gear that comes with the lightning.

As for construction they are built the same way as the lightning, same type of glue and wood, materials and finish.

Its a nice flying plane, and if you can get one at the "special price" ($7600) its a fair deal considering you are getting superior fueling, carbon wing tube and better landing gear setup without the hassle of the inner gear doors and belly pan nonsense of the original UL, but 9k is too high imo for what is essentially an updated ultra lightning.

Last edited by DiscoWings; 05-28-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:51 PM
sc0tt
My Feedback: (61)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoWings
... for what is essentially an updated ultra lightning.
Sorry, but you are totally wrong on that - like saying a kingcat is an updated version of a boomerang. Before the Shockwave, I flew an Ultra Lightning for the past 4 years so I know what I'm talking about (and more if you count the old classic version). Flight envelopes between the UL and SW are not the same. A UL cannot do aerobatics like a SW, such as slow knife edge or inverted action. I could go on with more UL quirks but that's not the point.

I would also say that just because the Shockwave is made at the CARF factory (G-Force Composites) does not mean it has the same basic quality level. Many BVM arf's are made in Thailand by X-treme Composite and obviously they are a higher standard as well.
In addition, you cannot base opinions using older production runs of the Shockwave. I recently received a new one and there are numerous improvements over the older version I'm currently flying. (fyi, the newer canopy does not come already glued in) With improvements come additional costs that should be expected. If you want to complain about price think about how a UB started at 9795 and is now 12,625+ with options and still cannot fully compete with a SW in aerobatic performance.

9k for a Shockwave is an excellent value for the quality and performance of the best sport jet available now.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	5 014.jpg
Views:	1143
Size:	3.90 MB
ID:	2099298   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 013.jpg
Views:	1089
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	2099299   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 030.jpg
Views:	1121
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	2099301   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 031.jpg
Views:	1006
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	2099302   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 032.jpg
Views:	999
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	2099303   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 002.jpg
Views:	1125
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	2099305   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 025.jpg
Views:	1059
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	2099309   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 027.jpg
Views:	1040
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	2099310  

Last edited by sc0tt; 05-28-2015 at 04:14 PM. Reason: pics
Old 05-28-2015, 03:56 PM
jetpilot

Some in stock schemes
Scott

Name:	Redelman-page-0.jpg
Views:	1030
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	2099285   Click image for larger version

Name:	scheme #46-page-0.jpg
Views:	979
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	2099286   Click image for larger version

Name:	scheme #47-page-0.jpg
Views:	970
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	2099287   Click image for larger version

Name:	scheme #49-page-0.jpg
Views:	972
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	2099288   Click image for larger version

Name:	scheme #50-page-0.jpg
Views:	956
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	2099289  
Old 05-28-2015, 04:00 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't decide between 49 or 50
Old 05-28-2015, 04:04 PM
jetpilot

The jpeg makes the colors weird and RCU wont upload pdf.

Name:	2015-05-28 18.38.29.jpg
Views:	1029
Size:	4.59 MB
ID:	2099291   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-05-28 18.38.34.jpg
Views:	951
Size:	4.74 MB
ID:	2099292   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-05-28 18.38.38.jpg
Views:	927
Size:	4.74 MB
ID:	2099293   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-05-28 18.38.49.jpg
Views:	1032
Size:	4.23 MB
ID:	2099294  
Old 05-28-2015, 04:52 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by bcovish
Can't decide between 49 or 50
For what it's worth, mine is about the same topside as the #49 (it's actually a #2 IIRC) model and it appears more silver when finished than those pics above would suggest. The #50 bird appears more black than it looks here. I was torn between the two but went with the silver trim and mine has the traditional underside markings. There's a pic of it sitting on the shop floor a page or so back.

So I would suggest that you consider how the thing will actually look. If Scott can come up with some pictures he can send you direct, that's what helped me make up my mind which color/scheme.

Last edited by Zeeb; 05-28-2015 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:57 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want #47!
Old 05-28-2015, 05:59 PM
Tim Redelman
My Feedback: (36)

i like the first one.....
Old 05-28-2015, 08:17 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

46 Bob!
Old 05-28-2015, 08:56 PM
DiscoWings

Originally Posted by jetpilot
We always appreciate a good laugh when the town clown jumps in on our thread spewing misinformation like Ebola. Disco knows nothing about the Shockwave, or any other models he has owned. his intellect is based purely on speculation, hearsay and rumormill. While he touts himself as the local expert, he was the last guy in line for brain cells when they ran out.
Hes the Sanford and Son of jets and buys and sells as many as possible to acquire his great knowledge of the hobby. He scoops the poop, bangs it around then sells as fast as he bought it.
Ask the people who know. Disco is the last guy you want any advise from.

Yes we did sell a kit from the very first batch on a show special at a show for $7600 3 years ago. it was an early kit with early gear and no upgrades, back when the retail price was $8500. about the only accurate statement Disco has ever made on the internet.

Scott
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...days-sale.html

3 years ago? Yeah better keep working on that G.E.D.

Here is some basic math:

8999 x .15 = $1349.85 discount

8999 - 1350 = $7649

Keep posting your nonsense, half the posters on this thread are EAS reps that probably got there plane for free or a heavily reduced price and are going on saying how wonderful and awesome it is and totally worth it is.

Many many other craft of superior quality available for that price range; only someone so full of himself would go around thinking sweat shop labor Asian air frame would command the same price as a high end European Kit

In the end the market will decide, so far it seems the market appears to be the very same people that sell it.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:23 PM
DiscoWings

Originally Posted by sc0tt
Sorry, but you are totally wrong on that - like saying a kingcat is an updated version of a boomerang. Before the Shockwave, I flew an Ultra Lightning for the past 4 years so I know what I'm talking about (and more if you count the old classic version). Flight envelopes between the UL and SW are not the same. A UL cannot do aerobatics like a SW, such as slow knife edge or inverted action. I could go on with more UL quirks but that's not the point.

I would also say that just because the Shockwave is made at the CARF factory (G-Force Composites) does not mean it has the same basic quality level. Many BVM arf's are made in Thailand by X-treme Composite and obviously they are a higher standard as well.
In addition, you cannot base opinions using older production runs of the Shockwave. I recently received a new one and there are numerous improvements over the older version I'm currently flying. (fyi, the newer canopy does not come already glued in) With improvements come additional costs that should be expected. If you want to complain about price think about how a UB started at 9795 and is now 12,625+ with options and still cannot fully compete with a SW in aerobatic performance.

9k for a Shockwave is an excellent value for the quality and performance of the best sport jet available now.

Why am I wrong because I don't agree? I'm not the only one thinks this way: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...l#post11774126

Yes I have had 2 Ultra Lightnings, 1 Ultra Bandit, kingcat, 1 Jacknife, Futara 2.6m and will soon have a Jmp firebird

The Ultra Bandit and UL flew very similar, but Ultra Bandit has bad knife edge and isn't as neutral as the ultra lightning overall the UL is the better flyer but the UB is better built, better finish and construction NO it totally isn't worth the price so I bought mine used with only 5 flights, a little high still but the equipment was top notch so not bad... Price for that matter neither is the Jacknife, I said this 3 years ago:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...lightning.html

my conclusion no reason to buy a UB.

Now I feel the same for this, SW and UL, yes its a better overall airframe than the UL from what I see, they got advise from various people including the guy that designed the ultra bandit and did other things (still think struts should be behotec...); but when you can get a UL for $5300 w/gear vs 9000 for the SW, no its not worth it. If the SW was in the $7000 then sure, maybe $7500.00 but that's about it.

Last edited by DiscoWings; 05-28-2015 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:36 PM
Andrew Bird

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I built a very early Shockwave for a friend of mine a while back and this new updated kit is a huge evolution. The finish of the plane is a lot nicer, it comes with more work done, it now comes with better components and I really like the addition of things like the underwing tanks. It's not the cheapest plane out there on the market but it also seems to be something very different to what else is being offered at the moment. The control surfaces are huge and it seems to be incredibly strong. I saw a video of Azza chucking his new one around on a bit of a gusty, windy day and look at how it copes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjURmISkfWU . It looks like it has the rudder power to be able to make flat turns as well as fantastic knife edge performance, you can push and pull hard on the plane, load it up with G and it just comes back for more. I hope my eyes aren't deceiving me because this looks like something a bit different to some of the other large sport jets out there and offers a different performance window.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:16 AM
sc0tt
My Feedback: (61)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Mr. DiscoWings - what you are really missing is the difference in flight performance. Most who fly normal routines will say these jets all fly similar. Now if you get into precision flying and aerobatics the story will change. Quite frankly I started getting frustrated & bored with my UL's limitations and felt like it was holding me back on improving skill level. UL simply requires a lot of speed for knife edge and inverted transitions. I had a few oh-$h!t moments with snap outs trying some more aggressive inverted action with the UL. Take a UL up high and start doing outside loops, you will quickly find out what I'm talking about. You simply cannot toss a UL around the sky like a SW. Also a UL will never be able to take off straight into a knife edge as Ali often does...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIK8MLzmyEU

Last edited by sc0tt; 05-29-2015 at 09:46 AM. Reason: video link
Old 05-29-2015, 06:06 AM
melvin

Thanks for all the info on the Shock Wave guys. I plan on this being my next jet hopefully in the near future.
Mel
Old 05-29-2015, 08:54 AM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

Originally Posted by jetpilot
I have never seen a model flown as aggressively as Pablo Fernandez has flown the Shockwave. He has proven the aircraft to be unbreakable and explored its outer limits of flying capabilities.
Hey Scott,

I videoed Pablo flying one of the early Shockwaves at Best in the West 2012. If I were in the market for a sport, the Shockwave would be the only one on my list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AnDQJtmuPM Kirk

Last edited by k_sonn; 05-29-2015 at 09:04 AM. Reason: fix typo
Old 05-29-2015, 10:06 AM
dbsonic

Anybody got any vid of Pablo doing a tight high speed loop with one of these. Entry and exit like 5 feet high. Wild maneuver.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:13 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Pablo was doing flat spins with a Shockwave at FIF. Awesome
Old 05-29-2015, 11:33 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Out of all the people in this forum I am most curious to meet…. Disco! Can't be this cynical in person.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:04 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The flying characterstics of the Shockwave is dramatically different from other sport jets. I've had two Ultra Bandits and I've flown the Ultra Lightning. Those are fine airplanes, but the Shockwave flies more like a 40% Extra. The Shockwave can fly in a box small enough for a foam Habu. I've yet to see another jet do square loops with sharp 90 degree turns and in such a small space. The Shockwave will do a Knife Edge loop as if it was a 3D prop plane. That's without thrust vectoring.

Last edited by dubd; 05-29-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:44 PM
dos007
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have the skill level of Pablo and I can only compare my SW to my UL. I love my SW...sold the UL. Just my 2cents plus i think the SW nose just looks better. I would not hesitate to get another SW.

Scott I really like that yellow and black scheme . Maybe if I keep getting new SW's I can be like Mike...I mean be like Pablo!
Old 05-29-2015, 04:50 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

HI all, I have several flights on my Shockwave now, and feel/ know their are a few characteristics , other people such know about the Shockwave. This Jet is so easy to fly, if I had a dead stick anywhere, it would be a breeze to bring it home, it can land at a snail pace, yet faster than a bullet, this jet has no bad habits, the only must is to have dual rates on the first flight.
Rcpete

Name:	lg-1155825-3-4212.jpg
Views:	876
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	2099431  

Last edited by rcpete347; 05-29-2015 at 04:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wing13z (11-22-2022)
Old 09-23-2015, 12:42 AM
uas

I can hear Shockwave in the neighbourhood ..

more at http://youtube.com/diydrone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0fiiybDPaM

Last edited by uas; 09-23-2015 at 12:56 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.