Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

DV8R questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

DV8R questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 03:22 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DV8R questions

I keep going back and forth on a boomer Torus or the TBM DV8R . i really like the looks,price and gear on the dv8r . The things i don't like are iron on covering and no landing gear pockets in the wing. The things i like about the Torus is the glass fuse and booms , landing gear pockets molded in ,wing tip tanks . the things i don't like is the twin booms "i'm so over them after my intro" and the cost " CHOKE!" of the gear kit. 850.00 ? I may be cheap , but i'm not free:-) . has anyone had any experience with TBM's landing gear? oh... BTW 77.00 bucks for a 125 .oz plastic tank. come on! Dubro has a 100 .oz tank for 32.00 . so here i sit on the fence .
Old 04-22-2014, 06:31 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use to have a DV8R It fly's nice but tends to bounce on landing but overall AUW will be less than the Torus and you can use a smaller engine.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:11 AM
youngguy
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a number of DV8R's and I am flying a TBM DV8R presently. I have no experience with the Torus, but from what I've seen, it is a great flying aircraft. The DV8R is also a great flying airplane but can be a problem landing if not set up correctly and slowed down on landing. The gear that is supplied by TBM is problematic in my opinion. The mains are to short which results in the model having a very nose high stance. The trailing link struts are very softly sprung which adds to the problem. I changed my mains to Robarts with longer struts and larger wheels to solve this while keeping the nose gear (not a big job).
I don't think I would trade for a Torus because I like the DV8R's presence and size in the air. Also there are not to many DV8R's at any of the jet events I attend, but lots of Torus's and it's cousins. I like having something different. I guess it gets down to what appeals to you as they are both great airplanes and each has it's advantages.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:52 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by youngguy
I have had a number of DV8R's and I am flying a TBM DV8R presently. I have no experience with the Torus, but from what I've seen, it is a great flying aircraft. The DV8R is also a great flying airplane but can be a problem landing if not set up correctly and slowed down on landing. The gear that is supplied by TBM is problematic in my opinion. The mains are to short which results in the model having a very nose high stance. The trailing link struts are very softly sprung which adds to the problem. I changed my mains to Robarts with longer struts and larger wheels to solve this while keeping the nose gear (not a big job).
I don't think I would trade for a Torus because I like the DV8R's presence and size in the air. Also there are not to many DV8R's at any of the jet events I attend, but lots of Torus's and it's cousins. I like having something different. I guess it gets down to what appeals to you as they are both great airplanes and each has it's advantages.
i agree with you on the fact that there's a lot of boomers and not many dv8r's . i'm like you , i like some different from what you normally see at meets. that's why i never did a p-51 cause everyone's got one . i did pull the trigger on the torus today and sent in the payment. the glass fuse and such one out over the dv8r . though i still like them ,and i like their gear " the dv8r" wb-1
Old 04-23-2014, 09:22 AM
vinnyjet
My Feedback: (39)

I like my DV8R very much flys real good big in the air there struts are not good at all the retacts work fine
i got mine with pro link gear and struts dont think they make for DV8R anymore
Old 07-04-2014, 09:55 PM
gjhinshaw
My Feedback: (303)

I have had MANY DV8's and have done LOTS and lots of mod's to them.... The plane does have landing gear pockets in the wing... If you want you CAN put doors on it! If you don't like the TBM gear I would go with SERRIA gear. They ARE the BEST!! It will put it up in the air for you so the tail isn't even close to the ground. I do agree that the mains of the TBM gear are soft, and I tried to get them to put stronger ones in.... Didn't happen... So you take them apart, go to the hardware store and buy yourself some stiffer springs! Pretty simple to do. What engine are you going to use?? I tested the DV8R with a Jet Central Super Eagle... 30lbs, and it was SWEET!! 187mph!!! I did have to put a couple shims under the back of the engine as it took a VILONT Nose dive on me!! Anyways.... If you need or want ANY kind of information I would be more than happy to help.
Gerry
Old 07-05-2014, 06:32 PM
Wclays
My Feedback: (85)

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

FYI. My buddy is fighting with TBM over missing parts for his recently purchased DV8R. You might read up on TBM.

I would go with the Torus, My Sprint has over 200 flights.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:40 PM
gjhinshaw

What parts are missing???

Originally Posted by Wclays
FYI. My buddy is fighting with TBM over missing parts for his recently purchased DV8R. You might read up on TBM.

I would go with the Torus, My Sprint has over 200 flights.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:48 PM
Wclays
My Feedback: (85)

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

This is second hand information, but Freddy said he was missing the flaps, ailerons, and elevators from the kit.. TBM stated that it was the kit manufacturers fault and they had no way to fix the problem. It has been over 60 days, Freddy said, he is finally going to get the credit card company involved.

By the way the DV8R is a nice flying plane.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:42 PM
ira d

Originally Posted by Wclays
This is second hand information, but Freddy said he was missing the flaps, ailerons, and elevators from the kit.. TBM stated that it was the kit manufacturers fault and they had no way to fix the problem. It has been over 60 days, Freddy said, he is finally going to get the credit card company involved.

By the way the DV8R is a nice flying plane.
Gee if TBM said they had no way to fix the problem that is way over the top, All they need to do issue a pickup tag for the kit and refund the customers money. If they are blaming
the manufacturers that would mean they did not check the kit before it was shipped.

I also use to have a DV8R but I sold it after breaking the nose off a couple of times on landing the DV8R is very difficult to land without bouncing.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:53 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Yep... I heard from a member at my field... WHO BOUGHT A DV8R... it was missing the elevators, and is VERY pissed because there isn't a resolution in sight.

TBM SHOULD NOT be shipping these kits, since THEY KNOW they are missing parts. I almost ordered one last week... but that's when my buddy warned me.

I've had other issues with TBM... and I'm starting to wonder if the reason the DV8R and ShockJet were always out of stock, isn't because of the manufacture delays... but if it's because TBM isn't taking care of their debts. They both seem to sell.... but gjhinshaw said that the shock is no longer going to be sold. (I wanted a new one)

Last edited by Dr Honda; 07-06-2014 at 04:58 AM.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:43 AM
wfield0455

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I stopped buying from TBM a couple of years ago because of this exact sort of thing.. A friend ordered an ARF from them and when it arrived the fuselage was badly damaged. TBM told him he could return the kit at his own expense and pay shipping again for the replacement kit (pay shipping 3 times) or else they would give him a $50 credit and some Ultracote so he could repair it himself. They always shipped things on time, etc, but if something went wrong, they just washed their hands of it.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:38 PM
Delta Mike
My Feedback: (18)

DV8R All the way baby!!!! 7 years and still going strong!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	OCC DV8R Fy rc 025.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	4.46 MB
ID:	2012194  

Last edited by Delta Mike; 07-06-2014 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:03 PM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey guys, why is it so very hard to land the DV8R? Chic
Old 07-06-2014, 05:35 PM
niteflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know about the TBM arf DV8R but with my PCM models kit DV8R the only time it bounced on landing was when my thumbs let the
gear touch the tarmac before the plane was "ready" to land....... Most fun aircraft I've flown!!! With a P-160 the thing is a rocket ship

Arnold
Old 07-06-2014, 05:36 PM
ira d

Originally Posted by redtail
Hey guys, why is it so very hard to land the DV8R? Chic
I am sure you will get various answers but I think the main gear should have been farther back the plane is to light on the nose gear IMO. That being said I have a friend that
has one and after many flights he able to land 9 out 10 without bouncing but his weght may be less than mine was with my Jetcat P80.

The trick is to come as slow as you can and flare as little as possible if you don"t it will bounce.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:53 PM
redtail
My Feedback: (15)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks guys, appreciate all the help and advice. Chic
Old 07-06-2014, 07:47 PM
wfield0455

My friend has a TBM DV8R and it flies and lands beautifully. Haven't seen him bounce it yet. I don't know if it has anything to do with it or not but he used Robart landing gear instead of the gear that TBM offers..
Old 07-06-2014, 07:50 PM
gjhinshaw

The DV8 needs longer gear. It bounces due to ground effect. If you put the longer gear it stops! The gear is in the same place as the PCM was. I tried to get them to make them longer, but they had already made them for the kits. That is TRUE for TBM to say that! YOU, have to foot the bill to return items to them.... This is VERY SAD, but it is Rosa that calls the shots. I would call TBM and ask to speak(yell) to her. She is the only ONE who/can change it. I am sorry, I do NOT have any extra parts laying around or I would send them to you..... I use to have lots of parts as I did the R an D on the DV8R and shock Jet. I do have some parts for the SJ still.....
Old 07-07-2014, 05:26 AM
Mike06659

I currently fly a TBM DV8r and it flys very well off grass. The TBM gear has had issues since day one and TBM basically said I was on my own. I would buy another but would not use the TBM gear. The DV8r looks awesome in the air!
Anyone know where I can get stiffer springs for the TBM gear?

thx
mike
Old 07-07-2014, 10:08 AM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by Mike06659
I currently fly a TBM DV8r and it flys very well off grass. The TBM gear has had issues since day one and TBM basically said I was on my own. I would buy another but would not use the TBM gear. The DV8r looks awesome in the air!
Anyone know where I can get stiffer springs for the TBM gear?

thx
mike
You might try looking at WB Jones website.. I found them pretty useful when I was looking for new springs for my Xtreme-Jets Hawks landing gear..
Old 06-17-2018, 03:23 AM
warbird_1

well i know it's been 4 years but i did buy one of the DV8R's it's an AFR and i did my first test flight yesterday. i have a few issues that almost cost me the plane. but here goes. .........
plane came in at 28 lbs. dry and powered by a jetcat RXI-b 160.....took off at half throttle and i noticed right away that it need up elevator trim . cruised around a bit and found the aileron throws to be not enough even on high rate . then i found it to be to pitchy on high elevator rate. other than that is was ok. on my landing setup i dropped the gear and when i dropped the flaps things got interesting and after thinking it over i think i found out why. As i dropped the flaps it pitched up hard. so i ,right away pulled them back up. my big mistake was trying to land with take off flap. i have so much residual trust with my engine that as soon as i hit ground effect it kept right on going and going . so i pulled back up and tried for a second attempt but before i did that i put the flaps all the way down again and trimmed the elevators for nose down flight and i was able to get it down. looking back i think the pitch problem was because i programmed the flaps to come down slowly and in between the take off and landing positions i had a lot of lift causing the pitch up and throwing me off my game. i should have made the flap deployment faster to get past the high lift portion of deployment and i shouldn't have used so much down elevator trim on landing. i did that expecting a hard pitch up again. it almost cost me the plane. CG was spot on a 10 5/8 from the leading edge. " the most forward portion which was near the center of the wing. all throws were per the instructions . i did notice that TBM moved the CG BACK 1 " from what PCM had it at. the landing gear was a huge buzz kill, i need to find better gear or stiffer springs.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:14 AM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Griz I think you can dial a lot of that out with the right amount of trim mixed in. Another thing you can try (I do this with my Flash, although it does not have a severe pitch change with Flap deployment) is going to full flap when you are banked over in your crosswind turn. If the plane pitches on you , it will not really be noticeable as you are turning to downwind. By the time you roll wings level on downwind, you will be trough the transition (assuming you have the proper throttle setting and trim mix correct) and the plane will fly level. I actually do this when flying my full scale Cessna. I go from 10 - 20 degrees of flap on my base turn.

Last edited by MaJ. Woody; 06-18-2018 at 02:16 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:23 AM
CARS II

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

If it pitches up when you drop the flaps then when you drop the flaps on the turn it will accelerate the turn because the increased lift, thats all.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:07 PM
gjhinshaw

I NEVER put flaps down until I am on final. You don’t need them on the down wind. All you are doing is adding speed to counter react the drag. Just try it, you will see what I mean. Also it’s like a real plane...... going to fast when you down the flaps WILL always cause it to ballon, exspeceally this jet. Done to many of them. 28lbs is what I always came out with on mine. No worries there. You can get the Serria gear for it, yes some modifications needed, but not dramatically.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.