Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The Making of Xtreme ARF F100 D Super Sabre

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The Making of Xtreme ARF F100 D Super Sabre

Old 09-03-2014, 05:36 AM
kevinthoele
My Feedback: (1)

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Wagner mentioned to me that the maiden was going to be this past weekend. Any video to load and how did all go?
Old 09-03-2014, 07:00 AM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Niki
Due to the success of the F100 we would like to inform that we have only one F100 left for this year last batch.
OK, I hate to throw a wet blanket on this party, BUT, haven't we learned anything In the past couple years? Six pages of comments, lots of comments of how great the paint job is, how good she looks, and yet in 5 months no one has seen this jet fly! Will it stay together for a full season of flying? I could mention a few other recent instances of absolutely gorgeous models that not only looked good but flew beautifully, but couldn't even survive one full season of flying before design/construction weakness doomed them to a pile of rubble!

This company and this jet could be completely different than our most recent FEJ experience, but, why are so many pilots willing to risk their money and time again on an unproven product? I don't get it.

I would recommend these jets not be allowed to fly at events untill they have survived at least a year of confirmed test flights with video. I'd also advise those pilots in such a hurry to send their money, STF down, being first can carry substantial risk. Be certain you're prepared to accept it!

Just my opinion.

David S

Last edited by David Searles; 09-03-2014 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:25 PM
BILLYDSRC

HI Kevin, We planed on doing the maiden last week. After running up the new Mammoth SP and with 53lb of trust the pipe supplied with our F-100 was designed for a 42lb turbine. I didn't like how hot it got when running it up so we decided to wait till the new pipe ships in the week or so. "ALL the New F-100 will come with the Bigger pipe" I will keep you all to date as soon as we get the new pipe in.
Thank you Billy D

Originally Posted by kevinthoele
Wagner mentioned to me that the maiden was going to be this past weekend. Any video to load and how did all go?
Old 09-04-2014, 08:59 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by David Searles
This company and this jet could be completely different than our most recent FEJ experience, but, why are so many pilots willing to risk their money and time again on an unproven product? I don't get it
David S
David, I think its human nature to take some risk, in exchange for the perceived (at that time) value.

There are two different situations; (1) Early adopters (2) risk takers because they believe it will not happen to them, even after compelling evidence is available.

We need some people to do #1, otherwise innovation will suffer. I think #2 is just reckless, and that were the FEJ example resides.

I saw this jet @ Kentucky Jets and could see enough favorable attributes that can make an early adopter pull the trigger.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:40 AM
David Searles

Edgar,

Great response. Thank you.

I think my biggest concern here is the lack of visible flight testing prior to the release and taking of orders. Fei Bao did the same thing with their same size F-100, even had a build article in RCJI or JetPower magazine. Problem was, the first flight confirmed serious problems with flight control due to improper pivot point location on the stab. Haven't heard anything about it since.

I just think releasing ARF kits into the market without adequate flight testing is irresponsible. And although I understand and agree with your point re: "early adopters", I still believe that early adopting before any real flight reports are available stretches very close to your "risk takers" description.

I sincerely hope this jet performs as well as we all hope that it will. I'd really hate to see this hobby go thru another FEJ experience so soon, due to a jet that wasn't adequately tested.

Best of luck with yours.

David S
Old 09-04-2014, 10:17 AM
Tuggs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So no XtremeArf F-100 did fly yet but they are already for sale? I am sure they did flight testing on a prototype or something like that, just as Skymaster and other companies do? I mean, Its like selling a new car that never drove a mile before? Even FEJ test flew their planes before "release".

/T
Old 09-04-2014, 10:31 AM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgar Perez
David, I think its human nature to take some risk, in exchange for the perceived (at that time) value.

There are two different situations; (1) Early adopters (2) risk takers because they believe it will not happen to them, even after compelling evidence is available.

We need some people to do #1, otherwise innovation will suffer. I think #2 is just reckless, and that were the FEJ example resides.

I saw this jet @ Kentucky Jets and could see enough favorable attributes that can make an early adopter pull the trigger.
Edgar, I agree with you, IF and only IF, the manufacturer did the proper testing. Early adopting does not mean buying unproven models, it means being the first to buy a properly tested model by the manufacturer (like most responsible manufacturers do)

i would assume this F100 has been properly tested and the test flight people are waiting for is the one we are seeing in the build thread, not the original (at least I hope so...)

Looking forward to see this fly, looks very nice (and as i said before, I really like how clean the internal structure looks)
Old 09-04-2014, 12:05 PM
David Searles

This question is directed to Mr Hui Ye, Manager of Extremearf, or Niki on this thread.

Sir, please describe the flight test regimen you have performed with this jet prior to it's release. How many proto-types, numer of flights etc. Also why have you chosen not to post any in-flight video of the F-100 on your website?

Thank you,

David S

Last edited by David Searles; 09-04-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:44 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

David,
i see your point. Actually I didn't bought one, as I'm not good enough modeler /pilot to be an early adopter!
Old 09-04-2014, 12:49 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Wagner had mentioned on page 1 that the prototypes have been flown sans pics or video.

It it seems reasonable to post how those flights went.

It's a bummer feeling like a beta tester though....
Old 09-04-2014, 01:40 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ravill
Wagner had mentioned on page 1 that the prototypes have been flown sans pics or video.

He was saying before he came on with them they had a test pilot that did not photo or video but this aircraft came after Wagner and crew came on. The prototype appears to be the model Billy has.
Scott
Old 09-04-2014, 01:49 PM
Pepperpete

In this day and age of beautiful hanger queens that can't do much else... Why would anyone in thier right minds be a beta tester?? The paint job on this F100 is easily one of the best i've seen but Im not about to throw money when I havent even seen the bloody thing fly. This makes zero sense.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:43 PM
David Searles

Originally Posted by ravill

Okay, so if they have prototypes that have flown, why not just fly them again and take video this time? What happened to them/it?

I just finished reading every single comment in this thread, and there has been absolutely not one comment from the mfg or dealers as to the flight qualities of this jet! It does seem as though the jet shipped to Billy is the production prototype. I have no problem with that jet going to a dealer for flight testing. But, how can you be selling out the first batch to customers, when there apparently, in fact, has been no actual flight testing of this model?

Folks, this is EXACTLY the same modus operandi used by FEJ. Remember what happened with the large Hawk they debuted at JOK last year? No previous flight testing, the stab flew off in mid-flight. The next prototype, sold to Lewis Patton at the event, was completed, flown by Lewis, wings failed before the end of the first season of flying.

Wagner, Billy, I wish you the best of success with this jet, (for all of our sakes) BUT, this IS NOT the way to do business, IMO. You guys, as dealers, should not introduce products into our market that haven't been adequately flight tested. If you want to do the prototype testing, FINE! But tell people you won't be accepting orders until after you have completed your own test flight regimen, and can guarantee that this jet is sound and good to go! Otherwise you are just asking for major customer issues if there does end up being problems with the production models. It'll be FEJ all over again. Who needs it?

David S

Last edited by David Searles; 09-04-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:07 PM
sc0tt
My Feedback: (61)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

At JOK I checked out this F100 and was told by Xtreme ARF that they rent FeiBao's molds and then make their own changes, such as carbon fiber formers, etc & nice paint job. So to me this is basically an "improved" FeiBao F100. With FeiBao F100's already flying I would be inclined to say the Xtreme Arf version should be ok considering the molds are the same - but I could be wrong.

If you check back issues of RCJI, the prototype FeiBao was reviewed in the Aug/Sep 2011 and Oct/Nov 2011 issues. The only real problem mentioned was the stab pivot position seemed off. Considering this prototype article was in 2011 I assume that was corrected by now.

With that said, I agree with most here that I would not want to spend the $ until I see one fly. Hopefully Xtreme Arf will provide some flight info, pics, vids shortly. One thing I did notice at JOK was the cheap tailpipe, but I see Billy D already noted that in his post above.

I see there's a FeiBao for sale here now... http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=995429

I also found this flight video... http://youtu.be/e5oHVpjQZxE
Old 09-04-2014, 07:09 PM
fbjets

The F-100 stab problem was solved long time ago before F-100 production in the market, once test pilot Colin Straus told us the problem. Luke Cullen is enjoying F-100 in Australia recently.

Catherine
FeiBao Jet Models Co Ltd
Originally Posted by David Searles
Edgar,

Great response. Thank you.

I think my biggest concern here is the lack of visible flight testing prior to the release and taking of orders. Fei Bao did the same thing with their same size F-100, even had a build article in RCJI or JetPower magazine. Problem was, the first flight confirmed serious problems with flight control due to improper pivot point location on the stab. Haven't heard anything about it since.

I just think releasing ARF kits into the market without adequate flight testing is irresponsible. And although I understand and agree with your point re: "early adopters", I still believe that early adopting before any real flight reports are available stretches very close to your "risk takers" description.

I sincerely hope this jet performs as well as we all hope that it will. I'd really hate to see this hobby go thru another FEJ experience so soon, due to a jet that wasn't adequately tested.

Best of luck with yours.

David S
Old 09-04-2014, 07:18 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fbjets
The F-100 stab problem was solved long time ago before F-100 production in the market, once test pilot Colin Straus told us the problem. Luke Cullen is enjoying F-100 in Australia recently.

Catherine
FeiBao Jet Models Co Ltd

Dear Catherine,

Please check your PM box. I sent you a PM last week. Thanks!
Old 09-04-2014, 08:19 PM
David Searles

Originally Posted by sc0tt
At JOK I checked out this F100 and was told by Xtreme ARF that they rent FeiBao's molds and then make their own changes, such as carbon fiber formers, etc & nice paint job. So to me this is basically an "improved" FeiBao F100. With FeiBao F100's already flying I would be inclined to say the Xtreme Arf version should be ok considering the molds are the same - but I could be wrong.

If you check back issues of RCJI, the prototype FeiBao was reviewed in the Aug/Sep 2011 and Oct/Nov 2011 issues. The only real problem mentioned was the stab pivot position seemed off. Considering this prototype article was in 2011 I assume that was corrected by now.

With that said, I agree with most here that I would not want to spend the $ until I see one fly. Hopefully Xtreme Arf will provide some flight info, pics, vids shortly. One thing I did notice at JOK was the cheap tailpipe, but I see Billy D already noted that in his post above.

I see there's a FeiBao for sale here now... http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=995429

Sc0tt,

A simple confirmation of this info, directly from the mfg, would seem appropriate at this time. Niki, Mr Ye, I notice you are on this thread currently. How about a prompt response to questions/issues mentioned?

David S

Last edited by David Searles; 09-04-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:17 AM
ColinSt

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

David,

You brought up the FB100, and as I assembled the first prototype and reported on it in RCJI I thought a reply was required. As I detailed in the report, FB supplied this to me so that I could build and test fly, reporting back to them any problems that were found - it was not a production model, but a prototype. I explained in the report that I was writing about the development process of a new model, and not reviewing a production kit.

Following the problems found with the first sample FB supplied a second example with all of the changes made - I then assembled this and carried out a number of very successful flights, including flying with all ordnance fitted, and putting the airframe through high stress manouevres, high speed dives etc, as well as checking low speed handling etc. I reported on this second prototype in RCJI, and this model has since been passed on to Marco Benincasa, who has flown this F-100 in the last two Top Gun events in Florida.

FB Jets handled the development of the F-100 exactly as should be done, with prototypes being tested until any problems were resolved, only then offering the model for sale - the factory refused to make the model available until we were all happy with it.

I should also mention that the FB F-100 flies extremely well, it was the first F-100 I had flown, and I was surprised how easy it was to fly, how smooth it was in the air, and how stable and simple to land it proved to be.

Colin Straus

Last edited by ColinSt; 09-05-2014 at 12:57 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:33 AM
Jgwright

Not sure why any doubts about this plane have been raised. as Colin says it was tested comprehensively by him and the plane was subsequently flown by Marco. There is video of it flying in Italy on a far from perfect day off a very short narrow strip with a perfect landing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5oHVpjQZxE John
Old 09-05-2014, 04:03 AM
Niki

Scott statement are correct, however we use another kind of process and composites, all composites that we use were 3rd party lab tested as you can see in our website at http://xtremearf.com/index.php/support/carbon-fiber

The material that we used are all imported, Carbon Fiber, Soric, resin and so on, the resin that we use are produced by Shell, our tail pipe is made with stainless steel grade 303 operational temperature at 932 F (500 C) with the melting point at 2590 F (1420 C), all the paint material are specially developed for us, also we have another specifications and standards for the production of our jets.

Our new jets are been developed in home, none of the new jets will go to production before tests, we will make all the necessary test, this include the static wing load test, before send to the test pilot , to the breaking point so we will know how many G's it can stand, then 2 prototypes will be send to test , then only after extensive flight tests and all the issues fixed then we will start to produce. All of the tests will be recorded and published.

Talking about the new jets our Vixen were developed in conjunction with an western engineer and we are now making the molds, we have been working is this project for more than 6 months now, the T50 we just came back from South Korea were we could visit KAI and take measurements and pictures of the jet, this project is about 1 year old we have the CAD and Solidworks done already and now we can compare with the full scale one.

We have started the research on the F84 that we intend to take to Jetpower next year, and the A6 we will start to research after all Vixen test are completed and the model starts production.

We are just trying to make things right, so make sure that we stand behind our products.

Originally Posted by sc0tt

Old 09-05-2014, 04:05 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Great video

Impressive landing, I never knew F100's were carrier rated!
Old 09-05-2014, 05:17 AM
David Searles

Originally Posted by ColinSt
David,

You brought up the FB100, and as I assembled the first prototype and reported on it in RCJI I thought a reply was required. As I detailed in the report, FB supplied this to me so that I could build and test fly, reporting back to them any problems that were found - it was not a production model, but a prototype. I explained in the report that I was writing about the development process of a new model, and not reviewing a production kit.

Following the problems found with the first sample FB supplied a second example with all of the changes made - I then assembled this and carried out a number of very successful flights, including flying with all ordnance fitted, and putting the airframe through high stress manouevres, high speed dives etc, as well as checking low speed handling etc. I reported on this second prototype in RCJI, and this model has since been passed on to Marco Benincasa, who has flown this F-100 in the last two Top Gun events in Florida.

FB Jets handled the development of the F-100 exactly as should be done, with prototypes being tested until any problems were resolved, only then offering the model for sale - the factory refused to make the model available until we were all happy with it.

I should also mention that the FB F-100 flies extremely well, it was the first F-100 I had flown, and I was surprised how easy it was to fly, how smooth it was in the air, and how stable and simple to land it proved to be.

Colin Straus
Colin, I'm glad to hear all has gone well with the FB F-100. My concern here is reflected in your own statement: "FB Jets handled the development of the F-100 exactly as should be done, with prototypes being tested until any problems were resolved, only then offering the model for sale - the factory refused to make the model available until we were all happy with it."

For five months, until today, no mention had been made or info passed from the mfg, in this thread, that their F-100 had any relation to the FB F-100, or the exact info regarding testing. As such, when Mr Ye made reference that they had already sold out all but one of this year's batch, while having not provided any info as to previous flight testing, I became alarmed.

I am happy to see a prompt and positive response from ExtremeArf regarding the questions raised. It bodes well for their future! Communication is of key importance.

John, my concerns were not about the Fei Bao F-100. I stated accurately that the initial model reported on by Colin, had a stab issue and that I had not heard anything since. I am glad to hear that everything was sorted and the jet now performs as expected.

I currently own an AirWorld F-100F, about the same size as this, which I built and FM. Have been flying it for the past two years and love it! However, I decided I would also like to have a D model in the SEA Vietnam camo scheme. The price of the ExtremeARF F-100 is fully HALF the cost of what I would spend to acquire and complete another Airworld kit. Not to mention the time and effort involved. Hence my specific interest in this product. (I'm not just stirring the pot, for the hell of it) I needed to know that this jet could be a viable alternative to spending all winter building another AirWorld, before considering placing an order.

I'll still wait to get direct flight reports from Billy on his, but I'd have to say this kit is probably back on the XMAS list.

David S
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0077.JPG
Views:	876
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	2029278   Click image for larger version

Name:	114.jpg
Views:	883
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	2029279  

Last edited by David Searles; 09-05-2014 at 05:24 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:44 AM
BILLYDSRC

Great New Guys!! I just received the tracking # for the NEW Bigger pipe today!! It will not be long now for the maiden flight I will post some pics later today of her.
Thank you Billy D
Old 09-05-2014, 05:51 AM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

David

I am like Shaun where i havent been the biggest fan of the F-100 until reading about the fast fac 'Misty' group in vietnam. now i would like to do a SEA camo one to memorialize what those guys were doing. Good read if you are into that kinda thing.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:01 AM
osvaldopv
My Feedback: (12)

How about a Big Hawk 1:3.5 scale for a reasonable price below Skygate and Tomahawk prices?
If you can make this happen I'm so sure you will have a lot orders, put me on the list!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.