Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The Making of Xtreme ARF F100 D Super Sabre

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The Making of Xtreme ARF F100 D Super Sabre

Old 05-15-2015, 04:14 PM
rchobbymodels

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David Searles
Greg,
Glad to hear you've found success! Are you using separate valves for nose and main lg?

Let's hear more detail on your overall experience with the kit.
How much does yours weigh, what powerplant?
There are a number of us still waiting to hear more from the field b4 moving ahead with this jet.

Wagner,
Nice flight video! Do you know how much it weighed?
David S
David thank you, it weights 50 Lbs, also customer report that there was no trim adjustment on the maiden

Last edited by rchobbymodels; 05-15-2015 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:16 PM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does this jet have ducting all the way through to the engine bypass?
Old 05-15-2015, 04:21 PM
rchobbymodels

Originally Posted by Craig B.
Does this jet have ducting all the way through to the engine bypass?
Yes, it is straight from the engine to the tail, the exhaust was calculated for a 53Lbs engine. Now if you are talking about the intakes the answer is yes from the nose straight to the engine.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:34 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I saw one flying at Mississippi afterburner that needed quite a bit of up trim to fly level. is this normal? maybe a CG issue.
Scott
Old 05-15-2015, 04:42 PM
rchobbymodels

Originally Posted by jetpilot
I saw one flying at Mississippi afterburner that needed quite a bit of up trim to fly level. is this normal? maybe a CG issue.
Scott
Are you sure it was balanced on the right CG? Usually pilots change the CG a little bit inside of the range according with their flights characteristics, so in this case maybe trim was needed.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:40 PM
Damo260

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the FB jets F -100 and I been told they are the same they are a very well done nice and scale as well

Damo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150426_152701.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	2096405  
Old 05-17-2015, 05:30 PM
PREACHHAMES
My Feedback: (58)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

David,

My overall experience has been way above average...especially for the initial cost in comparison to other scale military jets this size.

My jet from Feibao ended up being 45 lbs. dry with UAT full. I am only using one fuel cell which gives me 1.3 gallons (166 oz.) of fuel for my JetCat P-180 giving me a solid 6 minutes of flight time with plenty of power.

There are some updates worth taking care of before going to the field for a maiden.

The o-ring for the brakes needs to be 52 mm x 5 mm. The original one is a fraction too big (53-54 mm) which cause the brakes to engage but not release. I bought a 5 pack off of EBay from Contexhydraulics in Texas for around $9.00

The main wheel axles are weak (they will bend no matter how soft you land causing the main tires to rub against the struts) & are 5 mm in diameter. A fellow maidened his Xtreme Jets F-100 while at Florida Jets & experienced the same condition. I replaced mine with some Robart 1/4 inch axles from Todd at DreamWorks. You will of course need to drill out the bushings to accept the 1/4 inch axles.

The small c-clip at the center of the knuckle of the main struts will pop off the first time you have to get on the brakes for any length of time. I used the extra bolts & lock nuts that came with my jet to replace the small c-clips & shaft.

Also, I dremeled flat spots for any & all set screws on the entire landing gear system.

The last 2 items are kind of at your discretion but I did them anyway.

1. Balanced the stabilator on its shaft pivot point (takes about 3 oz. per side).
2. Cut & installed a 3/8 inch plywood former that ties both stabilator servo trays/boxes together for incredible strength.

This aircraft in landing configuration really slows down nicely! Scott Harris spotted for me in Florida & kept saying, "Power, power...add power!" He couldn't believe how slow & stable you can bring it in for a landing (certainly a different look & feel than BVM's Hun).

Enjoy!

Greg Hames

Name:	Florida Jets Pic.jpg
Views:	1086
Size:	283.9 KB
ID:	2096639  
Old 05-17-2015, 05:43 PM
PREACHHAMES

Forgot to mention David...I am only using the UP2 valve for my 3 retracts & 3 gear doors.

Greg
Old 05-17-2015, 06:05 PM
roger.alli

Originally Posted by Damo260
I have the FB jets F -100 and I been told they are the same they are a very well done nice and scale as well

Damo

I like the paint scheme Damo.. Real fighters are painted in camo.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:20 PM
rchobbymodels

Originally Posted by PREACHHAMES
David,

My overall experience has been way above average...especially for the initial cost in comparison to other scale military jets this size.

My jet from Feibao ended up being 45 lbs. dry with UAT full. I am only using one fuel cell which gives me 1.3 gallons (166 oz.) of fuel for my JetCat P-180 giving me a solid 6 minutes of flight time with plenty of power.

There are some updates worth taking care of before going to the field for a maiden.

The o-ring for the brakes needs to be 52 mm x 5 mm. The original one is a fraction too big (53-54 mm) which cause the brakes to engage but not release. I bought a 5 pack off of EBay from Contexhydraulics in Texas for around $9.00

The main wheel axles are weak (they will bend no matter how soft you land causing the main tires to rub against the struts) & are 5 mm in diameter. A fellow maidened his Xtreme Jets F-100 while at Florida Jets & experienced the same condition. I replaced mine with some Robart 1/4 inch axles from Todd at DreamWorks. You will of course need to drill out the bushings to accept the 1/4 inch axles.

The small c-clip at the center of the knuckle of the main struts will pop off the first time you have to get on the brakes for any length of time. I used the extra bolts & lock nuts that came with my jet to replace the small c-clips & shaft.

Also, I dremeled flat spots for any & all set screws on the entire landing gear system.

The last 2 items are kind of at your discretion but I did them anyway.

1. Balanced the stabilator on its shaft pivot point (takes about 3 oz. per side).
2. Cut & installed a 3/8 inch plywood former that ties both stabilator servo trays/boxes together for incredible strength.

This aircraft in landing configuration really slows down nicely! Scott Harris spotted for me in Florida & kept saying, "Power, power...add power!" He couldn't believe how slow & stable you can bring it in for a landing (certainly a different look & feel than BVM's Hun).

Enjoy!

Greg Hames

Thank you Greg, all this issues, the issues that you appointed and other that I mentioned in the early post, were addressed and fixed, and it is true it flies and lands very well.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:39 PM
rchobbymodels

Regarding this we have changed from bushing to bearings and change also the pin, most of this happens with the pin because the stoppers on the scissors, that was removed too.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:26 PM
PREACHHAMES

Wagner,

I prefer bearings as well...will you be at First in Flight?

If so, could I purchase a set of bearings/axles for my F-100?

Hope to see you. I will be arriving Thursday around 1-2:00 PM.

Greg
Old 05-19-2015, 06:50 PM
rchobbymodels

Wagner,

I prefer bearings as well...will you be at First in Flight?

If so, could I purchase a set of bearings/axles for my F-100?

Hope to see you. I will be arriving Thursday around 1-2:00 PM.

Greg
Greg can you tell me the diameter that you have, the bearings are 10mm if you have 7mm housing it can't be done
Old 05-24-2015, 11:35 AM
PREACHHAMES

Hi Wagner,

I'll check...got another 1/2 dozen flights on my jet while at First In Flight.

Such a gentle landing aircraft...the more you fly it, the more desirable it becomes!

Thanks,

Greg
Old 05-24-2015, 12:29 PM
kevinthoele
My Feedback: (1)

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Scott

I think the guys in Mississippi were very nose heavy. I believe the CG was the issue. I have a friend here in town that I will be flying his and let you know. Good thing to know is that it flys well with many different CGs.

I do believe they mentioned they were going to remove some lead from the nose on their F100
Old 05-24-2015, 02:42 PM
rchobbymodels

Have some pictures from the customer in Brazil soon I will have more pictures and video:

Name:	IMG_4697.JPG
Views:	912
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	2098318   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4698.JPG
Views:	907
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	2098319   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4699.JPG
Views:	884
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	2098320   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4700.JPG
Views:	897
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	2098321  
Old 05-24-2015, 02:43 PM
rchobbymodels

Hi Wagner,

I'll check...got another 1/2 dozen flights on my jet while at First In Flight.

Such a gentle landing aircraft...the more you fly it, the more desirable it becomes!

Thanks,

Greg
Greg congratulations on the flights, she is a very nice airplane
Old 05-28-2015, 11:28 PM
rchobbymodels

This is a beautiful picture from Greg Arnett Xtreme ARF F100 D taking off at First in Flight event

Name:	first in flight.jpg
Views:	912
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	2099333  
Old 05-28-2015, 11:44 PM
rchobbymodels

Just received a new Xtreme ARF F100 D video. This video is a compilation of 4 flights. We'd like to thank a "Aerodiv" for the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2md0-NKaFg

Last edited by rchobbymodels; 05-29-2015 at 05:27 AM.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:55 AM
Dangerouss
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wagner

Just wanted to drop you a note, we are enjoying the F-100, hope to have it all sorted out by KJ. I have seen some of the fixes, which we have a few suggestions on as well. I had a question though. The recommended CG is 11 inches back from the engine bay opening, has anyone moved this further back? In flying it, it feels very nose heavy and wants to land no slower than 50 knots indicated. We have been slowly bringing it back, any thoughts on where it should be? We flew it this weekend with the pitot removed, it definitely flew better. We will keep moving the CG back a bit at a time and see how it goes.

We solved the landing gear issues in a different way, just wanted to let you know what it was. All initial flights we found that the inner main gear doors were closed with the main gear against them, partially up. We modified the gear circuit to have a second valve do just the main gear which worked great on the ground, but not in the air. Finally, we retracted the gear while inverted which enabled the mains and nose gear to retract. We found that during the rest of the flight the inner main doors were continually flopping open and closed. That got me thinking that the air rams for the main gear doors were too flimsy for their application. We replaced them with some stronger Robart units with great results. My theory now is that the inner main doors were being forced closed when the aircraft rotated for takeoff, so the mains were unable to close. We have flown twice since this fix and both times the gear went up as it should. Additionally, we also replaced the nose gear door ram with a better unit just in case.

As a side note, the inner main doors also need attention. The molded inner/outer Fiberglass is very nice work, but is not near strong enough as built. As simple fix was to cut a hole in the top inner part of the door and fill the void between with an epoxy/milled fiber slurry. This worked very well, VERY solid door now. I would suggest that or increase the thickness of the inner and outer door lamination schedule so as to be stronger.

Bill Culberson
Frontal Aviation Mobile
Old 06-01-2015, 07:01 AM
Dangerouss
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

....also, i am interested in axles as well, are they available yet?

Bill Culberson
Frontal Aviation Mobile
Old 06-12-2015, 09:42 PM
rchobbymodels

Originally Posted by Dangerouss
....also, i am interested in axles as well, are they available yet?

Bill Culberson
Frontal Aviation Mobile
Bill, soon we will send for all F100 customers the main LG axles
Old 06-12-2015, 09:45 PM
rchobbymodels

[QUOTE=Dangerouss;12047726]Wagner

Just wanted to drop you a note, we are enjoying the F-100, hope to have it all sorted out by KJ. I have seen some of the fixes, which we have a few suggestions on as well. I had a question though. The recommended CG is 11 inches back from the engine bay opening, has anyone moved this further back? In flying it, it feels very nose heavy and wants to land no slower than 50 knots indicated. We have been slowly bringing it back, any thoughts on where it should be? We flew it this weekend with the pitot removed, it definitely flew better. We will keep moving the CG back a bit at a time and see how it goes.

We solved the landing gear issues in a different way, just wanted to let you know what it was. All initial flights we found that the inner main gear doors were closed with the main gear against them, partially up. We modified the gear circuit to have a second valve do just the main gear which worked great on the ground, but not in the air. Finally, we retracted the gear while inverted which enabled the mains and nose gear to retract. We found that during the rest of the flight the inner main doors were continually flopping open and closed. That got me thinking that the air rams for the main gear doors were too flimsy for their application. We replaced them with some stronger Robart units with great results. My theory now is that the inner main doors were being forced closed when the aircraft rotated for takeoff, so the mains were unable to close. We have flown twice since this fix and both times the gear went up as it should. Additionally, we also replaced the nose gear door ram with a better unit just in case.

As a side note, the inner main doors also need attention. The molded inner/outer Fiberglass is very nice work, but is not near strong enough as built. As simple fix was to cut a hole in the top inner part of the door and fill the void between with an epoxy/milled fiber slurry. This worked very well, VERY solid door now. I would suggest that or increase the thickness of the inner and outer door lamination schedule so as to be stronger.

Bill Culberson
Frontal Aviation Mobile[/QUOTE}

Bill, thank you for the feed back we will update the new batch with some of your comments.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:46 PM
rchobbymodels

New Xtreme ARF F100 D maiden video, congratulations Julio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKCAWet0HH8&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by rchobbymodels; 06-12-2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:29 PM
rchobbymodels

Originally Posted by DiscoWings
Please post as soon as you have the light kit option available, I'm down to just 2 jets and looks like it will be 1 by the end of the week, this would be great but only with the turbine.
Now light Kit available for all of our jets, installed in the factory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1DLdIuAEvM&feature=youtu.be

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.