RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

You may want to watch this before you buy a Boomerang Torus

Old 05-07-2014, 01:36 AM
warbird_1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang1 View Post
First off everyone complained that the Chinese didn't use enough glue.

Now you complain there is too much glue!

What next? You want the glue to actually hold the pieces together?

Some people are hard to please!
LOL the nerve !!
Old 05-07-2014, 01:37 AM
Justflying1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhat View Post
I would imagine Boomerang was being slightly sarcastic..

Edit...I may have misinterpreted what you were saying there Justflying. Boomerang is the brand as well of course.
Yes I do realise Boomerang is a brand. I also fly one as I mentioned in a previous tread. It is embarrassing and unbelievable that a well known brand like Boomerang has gone down hill.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:44 AM
Boomerang1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A bit of a coincidence my RCU name is Boomerang1, came from a scale
forum which seems to focus on WW2 models & refers to the Boomerang fighter
below, not the model jet.

I never owned a Boomerang jet until recently, a friend gave me a Boomerang
Intro fixer-upper.

It was stripped of film & awaiting glassing & painting & I must say the quality
of the (all balsa/ply) construction is extremely good. I don't know why
Boomerang Jets quality has fallen so far .

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boomerang.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	227.2 KB
ID:	1993218  
Old 05-07-2014, 01:49 AM
warbird_1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrembert View Post
Wow...that is horrible! I must have been very fortunate. I purchased a Torus about a year and a half ago and it was really pretty good. I had to add Hysol to a few joints but no where near that outrageous. I put 60-70 flights on mine before I sold it. The new owner flies it with no problems either. You mentioned in the video something about $1000, I paid $1400 for mine. Good luck with whatever you decide to do with it.
yea , they are on sale for 995.00 that's 995.00 more than they are worth IMO
Old 05-07-2014, 01:54 AM
warbird_1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang1 View Post
A bit of a coincidence my RCU name is Boomerang1, came from a scale
forum which seems to focus on WW2 models & refers to the Boomerang fighter
below, not the model jet.

I never owned a Boomerang jet until recently, a friend gave me a Boomerang
Intro fixer-upper.

It was stripped of film & awaiting glassing & painting & I must say the quality
of the (all balsa/ply) construction is extremely good. I don't know why
Boomerang Jets quality has fallen so far .

yea , my boomer Into was built way better than this thing. i flew the crap out of it and it held up good. like i said.. i sent the video link to Boomer usa and to allen. i'm curious to see were it goes from there . i didn't ask for anything. i'm waiting to see how much their reputation is worth. i have meant both of them and think they are both nice folks. i just want to see if they put the all mighty dollar ahead of their reputation.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:56 AM
warbird_1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by husafreak View Post
I think all of the Chinese production is going downhill. I have built two CARF jets in the last year and while they are certainly better than what you got there is still lots of misplaced formers, stuff isn't centered or squared up, things don't fit right. Leaking tanks, etc. I was beginning to think it is useless to spend more thinking you can get better quality out of China. But what you have there doesn't even look safe to fly...
that's really sad new on CARF. i considered them one of the better companies out there . I do have friend that ran into issues with a kit he bought. they refused to do anything even though it clearly was their fault. sad....
Old 05-07-2014, 01:58 AM
4ptroll

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

+1..... My XL had some minor issues but nothing like that. Now I need to unbox mine and pray for the best. My XL wings are a bit of a struggle to get on. I have to put the booms on the winds first and then slide them onto the main tubes. This is bad for boomerang as a company and I hope they clean the act up.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:05 AM
warbird_1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ptroll View Post
+1..... My XL had some minor issues but nothing like that. Now I need to unbox mine and pray for the best. My XL wings are a bit of a struggle to get on. I have to put the booms on the winds first and then slide them onto the main tubes. This is bad for boomerang as a company and I hope they clean the act up.
i'd be interested in how yours came out
Old 05-07-2014, 03:16 AM
9ballvalk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Send it back....your credit card company should be able to help with the dispute. I my opinion the $175 cost for return shipping would be worth it. You'll never be completely happy with this jet and should you ever want to sell it then it would be on your conscience should the new owner have a structural failure or if someone gets hurt due to the poor craftsmanship.

Good luck...
Old 05-07-2014, 03:21 AM
warbird_1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhorton View Post
Send it back....your credit card company should be able to help with the dispute. I my opinion the $175 cost for return shipping would be worth it. You'll never be completely happy with this jet and should you ever want to sell it then it would be on your conscience should the new owner have a structural failure or if someone gets hurt due to the poor craftsmanship.

Good luck...
No can do . i paid with cash. besides , i'd rather they make the first move. i'm not expecting any compensation as that's the way most companies are these days . once they have your money , your pretty well screwed and it would be a bigger hassle to try to go after them . I don't want to make enemies . i'm thinking i'll just have to eat it. besides .. i can't send it back. i threw the box away darn it !

Last edited by warbird_1; 05-07-2014 at 03:24 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:42 AM
sensei

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is just about as poor of workmanship as I have ever seen on any ARF to date. With that said I am also not sure I would trust sending it back because any company that would send this to a paying customer in the first place I personally would suspect if I was going to get my near $1200.00 with shipping or the alleged airframe back. I am also a freak for very neat details inside my airplanes so I could not deal with the trash and glue slop inside that thing, it would just drive me nuts. So as a scratch builder that has already spent his money, and one that knows that building is the hobby side anyway I would consider carefully removing all the structure from the inside, clean it all up to use as templates on virgin plywood. I would also consider correcting all the poor molding features you spoke of and simply turn that abomination into a nice set of plugs/master models, then make my own molds and parts, and as many as I would like there after!

Bob
Old 05-07-2014, 04:04 AM
VF84sluggo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airplanes400 View Post
I'd return it. And like invertmast wrote, imagine what you can't see. The person that did the "glue job" on the fuse, may also have done the same type of work on the wings and the areas you can't see or get to.
Based on what is visible, I would not take a chance on flying it. It just wasn't built correctly.
+1

Sad to see. Alan and Trish are just super folks to deal with, have been nothing but courteous and helpful to me over the years.

Sluggo
Old 05-07-2014, 04:13 AM
Turbinac

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Have you spoken to Patricia about this? I don;t think so. Surely you should have notified us? This is obviously not up to standard. It is not practical for us to open every kit for inspection, then re-pack it. This one should never have left the factory.
There's no way we would allow you to get such a poor kit!
I speak to Patricia just about daily. If she had heard from you about this she would surely have notified me right away and you would be getting a full refund or a replacement kit. We would not even quibble about it.
Alan Cardash
Old 05-07-2014, 04:24 AM
Airplanes400

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbinac View Post
Have you spoken to Patricia about this? I don;t think so. Surely you should have notified us? This is obviously not up to standard. It is not practical for us to open every kit for inspection, then re-pack it. This one should never have left the factory.
I speak to Patricia just about daily. If she had heard from you about this she would surely have notified me right away and you would be getting a full refund or a replacement kit. We would not even quibble about it.
Alan Cardash
Now this is true customer service, as well as a guy (and a company) that stands behind their product. I only hope all companies could operate this way.

Attached Images

Old 05-07-2014, 04:29 AM
Colin_Mc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Torus getting delivered on Friday here - not worried in the slightest
Old 05-07-2014, 04:34 AM
Chris Smith

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Patricia and Alan deserve the chance to make this right. I feel they have earned that due to their track record.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:56 AM
chopper52

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Alan Cardash
About customer service it is great,I have a Sprint,and the wings were so loose on it you could move them up and down a 1/16 of an inch I called Patricia and she called Alan and he called me from London I about craped We talked for a long time He made it right all the the way.....In three days I had replacement wings and they fit perfectly Alan and Patricia are great people in my book.....

To warBird _1 Give them a chance to make it right I've been a customer with them for 8 years. And by the way if you want to talk to Alan I have his phone number in London I'm sure he wouldn't mind But I will not post it on this forum They will fix you up,
Dave

Last edited by chopper52; 05-07-2014 at 04:59 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:18 AM
warbird_1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Alan Cardash
Allen , i'm to the point in my life that it's better to move on than to fight and create hard feelings. i'm happy you agree with the condition of the kit and i understand the fact that you can't check ever kit. i will leave it in your hands as to what action will be taken.I'm not asking for anything and My intentions is not to start trouble ,but to inform . if someone had posted the same video i know that i would have given second thoughts to weather to buy one of theses . returning the kit would be a problem as i threw away the box due to space limitations. i applaud you for having the decency to at least respond to the post.. i opted not to contact BJ as i didn't want to accused of being a problem customer or being too picky. so what ever you decide is ok with me. WB_1
Old 05-07-2014, 05:23 AM
jetster81

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Alan Cardash
Well, I really do not think you can get better customer service than that. Alan, you are an honorable man but I knew that anyway.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:24 AM
blhollo2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Based off your video it appears a 3 year did indeed build this airplane...shameful
Old 05-07-2014, 05:48 AM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Egads, what a piece of junk. Thanks for the informative video!
Old 05-07-2014, 05:53 AM
mtnflyer14

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm sorry to see this. I have had two Elans from Boomerang, latest was delivered in February of this year and neither had any problems remotely as bad as the Torus in the video. Hopefully, this is an isolated problem.
Regards,
Gus
Old 05-07-2014, 05:54 AM
lookilook

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

exactly what Jim said,even if they got somebody from the street to do that gluing i would've assumed that the quality inspector was still there...unless he demanded a rise in salary also and got fired!!
Old 05-07-2014, 05:57 AM
luv2flyrc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Man, I've seen some pretty "butched up" builds in my life but, nothing like that! WOW

Mike
Old 05-07-2014, 06:05 AM
wildnloose

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
Alan Cardash
Now THIS is what I expect from Boomerang Jets.

IMO, you went about this the wrong way. You placed the cart before the horse. You say you are not trying to start trouble but to inform. Your video does both. A better solution would be to post the video after you talk to Alan or Patricia and say something like "Hey, look at at crap jet I got. I contacted Boomerang Jets and they made it right."

A good company is not without problems. But a good company will take care of the problems.

Search this Thread