Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

You may want to watch this before you buy a Boomerang Torus

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

You may want to watch this before you buy a Boomerang Torus

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 02:46 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default You may want to watch this before you buy a Boomerang Torus

I'll let the video speak for itself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an774gYxTLE&list=UUKavkGONNV8L48awADJURTg
Old 05-06-2014, 03:22 PM
mitchilito
My Feedback: (7)

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

I would not keep that POS. Even if it did cost a bunch to return. Just shameful.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:30 PM
Carbon-Customs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm my friend has one of theese with a P180rx, he couldent get the wing on it either and it required almost 2kg ballast in the nose.

his kit is almost 2 years old.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:50 PM
warbird_1

i'm at the point in my life that it's just not worth fighting over. it's a live and learn situation. it's typical overseas cheap junk . that's why BVM and comp ARF stuff is expensive because it's worth it. I've leaned a long time ago that even if you confront sellers like this , it's always turned around to you being to picky. i'll deal with it.

Originally Posted by mitchilito
I would not keep that POS. Even if it did cost a bunch to return. Just shameful.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:51 PM
warbird_1

don't mind nose weight ,but poor and unsafe construction is a concern.

Originally Posted by Carbon-Customs
hmm my friend has one of theese with a P180rx, he couldent get the wing on it either and it required almost 2kg ballast in the nose.

his kit is almost 2 years old.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:58 PM
Justflying1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a real shame. I have an older Boomerang Élan which I still fly and fly it hard and it was easy to put together with only a few small modifications. Boomerang support was great at this time. Unfortunately with all the bad reports I have been hearing with all the new ones coming out I decided not to buy the Torus. After seeing this I'm glad I made that decision.
Im not going to pay over 2000 thousand Australian dollars to have a heap of crap.
Instead I had an old Falcon 120 which is also crap out of the box but after I fully fibreglass it, paint it, and do all the modifications do make it a lot stronger I will have a nice sports jet which cost me 250 bucks out of the box and my time instead of over 2000 and my time to fix all the stuff ups. I really hope Boomerang get there act together and fix these quality issues they have and give some reassurance to there customers as I would hate to see them go down the path of some other manufacturers.

Ivan
Old 05-06-2014, 04:14 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

wow.. I bought one which I just received, but hasn't yet opened the box. I wonder waht I will find one I open it
Old 05-06-2014, 04:38 PM
paulhat

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Warbird,

I couldn't believe my eyes when watching your video. That plane really is junk.
Its a shame. I had an Elan and Baby boomerang from the old days. Both really nice planes. Sure there were a few issues but nothing like what you have there.
I think its only fair that you are sent a replacement that has been put together properly.

Paul.

Last edited by paulhat; 05-06-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:54 PM
txshan130
My Feedback: (114)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang.That's pretty ugly! As for wing fitting, if you put some graphite on the wing tubes, they should slide right on.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:13 PM
warbird_1

With any kind of luck Allen will see the video and at the very least ,address the quality issues. He's had a successful line of designs . he runs the risk of losing all he's gained . But in reality i'll never see compensation. Bye-Bye boomerang for me.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:26 PM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow!!! That is very unfortunate. Another company about to close its doors. The group of guys that I fly with have seen a marked decrease in quality from a number of manufacturers. Either these companies are just giving up on us or are finding more profitable ventures. Albeit - we are getting totally hosed by the prices they charge...supply and demand I guess ....but REALLY!

Dean W.

going back to kit building soon!
Old 05-06-2014, 05:40 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

If its thay bad in the areas that are easy to see, imagine how bad it could be in the areas you Can not see! I wouldnt chance my equipment in it, i would either insist the company send me a Return label and a full refund or a new model!
Old 05-06-2014, 05:48 PM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by Edgar Perez
wow.. I bought one which I just received, but hasn't yet opened the box. I wonder waht I will find one I open it
please keep informed ..
Old 05-06-2014, 05:52 PM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by Helijet
Wow!!! That is very unfortunate. Another company about to close its doors. The group of guys that I fly with have seen a marked decrease in quality from a number of manufacturers. Either these companies are just giving up on us or are finding more profitable ventures. Albeit - we are getting totally hosed by the prices they charge...supply and demand I guess ....but REALLY!

Dean W.

going back to kit building soon!
the story i got is there's a wage war going on in china. they are demanding higher wages and because of that ,the companies are pulling anyone off the street that will work putting these things together. thus crap workmanship. like i said ... i have setup several XL's and i don't remember them ever being this bad. makes me wonder how they are now.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:35 PM
CafeenMan

I don't know anything about jets and I understand that you don't want the hassle of trying to send it back and be compensated. But regardless of not knowing anything about jets, anybody would know that plane is not safe to fly. There must be some kind of recourse for you.

Did you buy it from a US dealer? I would be demanding that they send a pick-up order and give you back full credit for the plane. You were purchasing a plane you could fly. That plane requires almost a complete rebuild. I'd be getting my credit card company involved, the better business bureau of the state where the dealer is and possible even the state attorney's office. I would go as far to call that deal fraudulent. You should not be out a single dime on it.

I tend to be pretty understanding about people not being perfect, but I would be seriously pissed off if that plane landed on my doorstep.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:21 PM
rrembert

Wow...that is horrible! I must have been very fortunate. I purchased a Torus about a year and a half ago and it was really pretty good. I had to add Hysol to a few joints but no where near that outrageous. I put 60-70 flights on mine before I sold it. The new owner flies it with no problems either. You mentioned in the video something about $1000, I paid $1400 for mine. Good luck with whatever you decide to do with it.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:32 PM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

Wow. That's pretty embarrassing. I can't believe Allen will let this fly. I had an Intro and a Nano and the quality was excellent. This is very surprising and disturbing at the same time.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:03 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

I don't know what you're complaining about, warbird1. From 500 feet away, you would never see these defects. Just make sure that it is not 500 feet in the air, but just 500 feet away and still on the ground!

Wow! What a lousy job of building that jet. Looks like the third grader applied the glue with a flux brush. Geeze.

I'd return it. And like invertmast wrote, imagine what you can't see. The person that did the "glue job" on the fuse, may also have done the same type of work on the wings and the areas you can't see or get to.
Based on what is visible, I would not take a chance on flying it. It just wasn't built correctly.

I would think the owner of the company will simply send you a new jet and tell you to throw this one in the trash. The owner, and his staff are good people.

Last edited by Airplanes400; 05-07-2014 at 05:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-06-2014, 09:50 PM
jetster81

Shame, and Boomerang has always had such a good reputation here in Europe. I see the Torus has had a big price cut from the UK dealer, maybe just a coincidence.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:03 PM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I think all of the Chinese production is going downhill. I have built two CARF jets in the last year and while they are certainly better than what you got there is still lots of misplaced formers, stuff isn't centered or squared up, things don't fit right. Leaking tanks, etc. I was beginning to think it is useless to spend more thinking you can get better quality out of China. But what you have there doesn't even look safe to fly...
Old 05-06-2014, 11:04 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

First off everyone complained that the Chinese didn't use enough glue.

Now you complain there is too much glue!

What next? You want the glue to actually hold the pieces together?

Some people are hard to please!
Old 05-07-2014, 12:48 AM
Justflying1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John,
you have to be realistic. I can't see anyone being happy with the work on that plane. It's actually unbelievable coming from Boomerang and embarrassing.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:21 AM
paulhat

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Justflying1
John,
you have to be realistic. I can't see anyone being happy with the work on that plane. It's actually unbelievable coming from Boomerang and embarrassing.
I would imagine Boomerang was being slightly sarcastic..

Edit...I may have misinterpreted what you were saying there Justflying. Boomerang is the brand as well of course.

Last edited by paulhat; 05-07-2014 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:22 AM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boomerang jets quality control must be non existent to let such a a complete piece of rubbish be sent to a customer.
I would hope, if they view this thread, they will immediately send you a replacement jet of decent quality & apologise profusely.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:35 AM
warbird_1

Well the video link was sent to all three persons associated with boomerang jets . I'm not asking for compensation , but then i don't think i have to . It'll be interesting to see how it's handled. i wish i never threw the box away now. to be continued .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.