Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

You may want to watch this before you buy a Boomerang Torus

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

You may want to watch this before you buy a Boomerang Torus

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 06:31 PM
kdunlap
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that two completely different issues need to be addressed as several folks have pointed out. The first is product quality and the second is customer service. Both are independent of one another as one relates to the manufacturing process and the second relates to how the company supports their product with their customers. If the quality of a product is substandard there should be every reasonable expectation that a customer is going to point this out and tell other consumers about their experience. Successful companies always deliver a superior product and have quality control mechanisms in place to assure consistency. Companies that fail often deliver products that the market determines to be of inferior quality or value. That's economics 101. If a company excels at both product quality and customer service they have a pretty good chance of being successful.

Over the last 2-3 years, I have purchased about 25 ARFs ranging from $90-$800. My experience is that none of these were even in the same league as the airplane in the video. Frankly, if one of these 25 airplanes was constructed using the same methods as this airplane, I would have posted pictures and videos as well. I am a consumer, spending hard earned money, and am willing to share my experience about the value of the product delivered to me. I don't think that there should be any expectation that I am going to withhold expressing my experience with a particular product until I speak to the manufacture. They after all are solely responsible for what gets delivered to my door ( as long as the package company doesn't crush the box!)

Now how I get treated by customer service will determine whether I stay with that manufacturer or go to another supplier. Which is my choice and right. I will give them the chance to rectify the situation, if I think the replacement will be of better quality. But great customer service is not going to change what was delivered to my door.

Sorry about the long reply, but in 30+ years of modeling I have never seen this type of workmanship. You can throw blame around but in the end quality control is paramount. The buck stops with the person who cashed the check. End of story. I can't fathom how someone would bash the OP. Good grief...
Old 05-07-2014, 06:40 PM
ct_quicksilver
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id ship that piece of junk back before its a smoking hole in the ground....no way its going to stay together being built that lousy...
Old 05-07-2014, 06:49 PM
paulhat

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree.
If anything this thread has highlighted the excellent customer service Boomerang Jets are willing to provide.
I cant see any negatives here.

Paul.

Originally Posted by YellowAircraft
I don't get this attitude at all. I cannot, for the life of me, understand why some feel that there's some ethical expectation that end-users consider a find like this off-limits to the net 'until the manufacturer has had a chance to make it right' with him. The video speaks for itself, and like many have said, it's what the vendor does with the information that counts. Even the best makers have had a bad one sneak through from time to time, but how they handle the customer afterward is what makes them a good vendor or not. In this case, the OP has done nothing but serve the greater good of the community by pointing this out. If Torus owners take a second a look at their planes before putting them in the sky, then the greater good was served. Also, if vendors/manufacturers take a harder look at their stuff before they send it out, then even better.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:59 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Something just doesn't add up as has been shown in the photos from what Ron was shipped and normal production model shown in the second video from Colin Gontier.

Here is a photo of my Torus which was originally purchased in 2011, note it has the extra holes as shown in the second video.

What in the world was Ron shipped????

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Torus.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	922.0 KB
ID:	1993363  
Old 05-07-2014, 07:19 PM
rhklenke

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lightningmcnulty
Bob We won't see eye to eye on this, as it is the op has stated that he used the normal Channels to no avail, (not sure why this wasn't included in the first post) if it was the thread would be half it's current length.

I have had products delivered to me that were sub standard and the normal thing would be to contact the company see what happens them give a full report here but if you think it's better to assemble the lynch mob at the first sign of trouble then that's your opinion, hopefully this attitude never comes you way in whatever line of work your in.

again with the new information from warbirds it's now clear that he tried to handle it with bj first.
I'm sorry, but if this was my business and I *truly* didn't know what happened and I *truly* wanted to keep my business, then my post would have been the second one in the thread and I would have replaced the kit *and* refunded his money, *and* stated that from now on, we *would* open each kit to make sure that they were OK.

I hope that if you have a business that I might do business with, you would do the same. Not all would, its true, but the good ones I do business with behave that way and that to me, is the right way to handle this, not saying "we can't open each kit..."

Bob

Last edited by rhklenke; 05-07-2014 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:49 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RCISFUN
Something just doesn't add up as has been shown in the photos from what Ron was shipped and normal production model shown in the second video from Colin Gontier.

Here is a photo of my Torus which was originally purchased in 2011, note it has the extra holes as shown in the second video.

What in the world was Ron shipped????

I wonder if Boomerang has changed factories for later production and the later ones are not up to standard.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:52 PM
ira d

Originally Posted by rhklenke
I'm sorry, but if this was my business and I *truly* didn't know what happened and I *truly* wanted to keep my business, then my post would have been the second one in the thread and I would have replaced the kit *and* refunded his money, *and* stated that from now on, we *would* open each kit to make sure that they were OK.

I hope that if you have a business that I might do business with, you would do the same. Not all would, its true, but the good ones I do business with behave that way and that to me, is the right way to handle this, not saying "we can't open each kit..."

Bob
+1 Also I would guess they only ship out 2-3 torus kits a day if that.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:39 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

This is the HORSE PUCKEY that is all over the place on RCU jet Forum "You should have contacted us before..." F that, I'm so fing sick and tired of this! Manufactures/retailers do you ask people that same question when they have praises about your product?

POST the facts and let the chips fall where they may, THIS is the SAME BS that led to FEJ problems hidden for so long until finally dubd said enough and spilled the beans, then came an "avalanche of all the issues other people had but were quite" finally FEJ is addressing them now....

If you do business online, then learn to play by the rules online: Do good, everyone will know word gets around, Screw up, everyone will know word gets around, its not the end of the world, you can always make it right after and most reasonable people will give you a chance, but this baloney of OHH you should have contacted me first crap has go to go, Hire a quality inspector that signs off on each frame, Chiense are perfectly capable of making high quality products, iphones, electronics, motherboards all made in China they simply have good quality assurance.

This is not just for Boomerang Jets but for any other company... Seriously cry baby merchants and manufacturers...
Old 05-07-2014, 09:06 PM
afterburner chuck

Allen doesn't own boomerang jets he sold it about 4 years ago
Old 05-07-2014, 09:38 PM
ira d

Originally Posted by afterburner chuck
Allen doesn't own boomerang jets he sold it about 4 years ago

I believe he just sold the UK operation but still owns the USA branch.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:12 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

You really do talk rubbish.

Originally Posted by jetster81
I cannot for the life of me understand why some who feel they have a beef with a company about the product they have been sold is sub standard to immediately go running to the internet and bash the said company for all its worth along with a load of supporters who back the poster even though they themselves have not had the same experience. Why would anyone do this without first going down the proper channels and speak first with the seller to get the matter put right. All I can come up with is that a certain part of the community think it is big to bash a retailer with out recourse. Me I think those who do this are nothing more than trouble making mongers having their moment on the open stage who are acting in a cowardly manner by not at first letting the retailer react.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:46 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put this simple question out there. what would've happened if i posted a video praising the quality of the torus ?
Old 05-08-2014, 01:48 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by SushiHunter
Is it me or does the plane in the first video look more like a "knock-off/counterfeit" version of the plane shown in the second video above? This plane in the second video above looks really good inside and out. But there are obviously differences between the two besides the quality issue.

For example: The construction where the wing meets the fuse. Notice the difference....

Still taken from first video:

Still taken from second video:

Notice the difference? The still taken from the second video shows a different hole pattern then the first. Is this normal?
I'm still waiting for an answer as to why my plane is different from the new one's they have in stock ? i suspect i'll never find out ..
Old 05-08-2014, 02:37 AM
Si_B

I'm still waiting for an answer as to why my plane is different from the new one's they have in stock ? i suspect i'll never find out ..
Are you waiting to hear from the supplier or from who you bought it from?
Old 05-08-2014, 02:39 AM
tonyos
My Feedback: (48)

Sorry to see that and i would send it back better to spend the shipping (175 ? you said ) then keep the crap that was made by a 6 year old , I do not buy any ARF junk it is all not done the way I like so I spend the time to Build my models the way they should Be , Good luck and thank you for the heads UP Tony
Old 05-08-2014, 02:47 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by Si_B
Are you waiting to hear from the supplier or from who you bought it from?
I'm waiting to see if sushihunter will post a reason as to why my air frame is different from the one he showed in his video. his looks like a newverson. if that's the case then the kit i was sent was very old ,by at least 4 years is my guess
Old 05-08-2014, 02:48 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

What more do you want? Blood spilled? It seems as if all you want to do is grandstand. Lets see how you do if you ever own a business. It is a measure of a business how they react to problems. You did not even give them a chance. If you wanted to do the right thing, you would have made the video available to them privately and waited a reasonable time for them to respond.

I would not even put them in the same paragraph with FIJ.

There is honor in reporting problems. Remember "Monday" cars in the auto plants? I am sure that an employee and a QA/QC inspector are looking for jobs at the moment in China. Stop the pity party.

Originally Posted by warbird_1
do you really think i'm Jabbing Really? what about the numerous Fly eagle jets posts? should they all be removed ?
Old 05-08-2014, 02:48 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by tonyos
Sorry to see that and i would send it back better to spend the shipping (175 ? you said ) then keep the crap that was made by a 6 year old , I do not buy any ARF junk it is all not done the way I like so I spend the time to Build my models the way they should Be , Good luck and thank you for the heads UP Tony
i was told in a post that ALL the funds are being refunded .
Old 05-08-2014, 03:07 AM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer258
Exactly what I was thinking. Perhaps they had to get the price down to compete with the new Xcalibur from Ripmax !!
I don't think so. The Xcalibur is about half the size of the Torus & uses a 60 to 100 size turbine.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:03 AM
rhklenke

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoWings

[snip]

POST the facts and let the chips fall where they may, THIS is the SAME BS that led to FEJ problems hidden for so long until finally dubd said enough and spilled the beans, then came an "avalanche of all the issues other people had but were quite" finally FEJ is addressing them now....

[snip]
Obviously I agree with most of your post, and this is off topic, but you are wrong here.

I posted problems with FEJ jets YEARS before dubd had his issue, and I was shouted down by FEJ supporters - many of whom have since lost airplanes and changed their opinion. In addition, I see NO indication that FEJ has changed at all...

As you said above, you post the facts and let the opinions fall where they may. I GUARANTEE you that right now, somebody who has read this thread will order one of these in the near future and if they get the exact same thing, they'll act surprised and be mad that they weren't warned. We've seen it all before...

Bob
Old 05-08-2014, 04:10 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

From a quality control and safety first standpoint one must ask, how fast do these things fly, and could anyone get hurt from an airframe coming apart? Who’s to say that there could, or could not be faulty glue joints in places you can’t see? From the video I wonder if there is a quality system in place because lets face it, a loose joint, cracked wood, or something like a crack in the fiberglass would constitute a quality issue, but what is shown in that video is so over the top in the lack of quality or qualified personnel manufacturing these things, forget it. Nobody has brought it up and although the company has offered to do the right thing and refund the man’s money; somebody within their organization should at least be asking and answering the 5 whys.
1.0 Why is the customer so unhappy with his purchase from us?
2.0 Why did this product move into our shipping department then on out to the customer in this condition?
3.0 Why did this product slip past our quality control system long before even the topcoat process further wasting the company’s money on a product that should have been destroyed after the ill fated attempt of assembly?
4.0 Why wasn’t there adequate employee training or at the very least supervision of these product manufacturing processes?
5.0 Why have we the owners/operators not implemented a last line of defense checks and balances system to keep this type of thing from happening?

Now truthfully answering the five whys to yourselves will give you the root cause of failure and implementing safeguards accordingly will give you a sound quality system. By the way, this 5 whys system is the very bases of an AS 9100 quality control system used in the aerospace industry and it does work very well. Now expressing to us the customer’s how you’re going to accomplish this would be the first step in winning our trust again.

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 05-08-2014 at 04:13 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:20 AM
chopper52

Originally Posted by jetster81
I cannot for the life of me understand why some who feel they have a beef with a company about the product they have been sold is sub standard to immediately go running to the internet and bash the said company for all its worth along with a load of supporters who back the poster even though they themselves have not had the same experience. Why would anyone do this without first going down the proper channels and speak first with the seller to get the matter put right. All I can come up with is that a certain part of the community think it is big to bash a retailer with out recourse. Me I think those who do this are nothing more than trouble making mongers having their moment on the open stage who are acting in a cowardly manner by not at first letting the retailer react.
I agree 100% Just plain disgusting Some peoples KIds!!!
Old 05-08-2014, 04:25 AM
warbird_1

I searched through RCU looking for build threads on the torus before i ordered it. i didn't find a lot of in depth details of the builds like close up pics, opinions,etc. maybe i wasn't looking hard enough. i didn't find anything really that stuck out as a warning not to buy , so i did. We as hobbyist don't have a consumer report publication as a buying guide to help us make decisions on what to buy or not. so we have to rely on what we hear ,see and read. Sometimes it's good , sometimes bad . i have to honestly say that if i did go to BJ first .. the issue surely would have been dealt with but then the next guy would have to go through it as i did and no one would have been the wiser. i'm not the plane police , patrolling the companies looking for problems but if i see a problem i like to caution people . We all do .. weather at a club meeting , at the field or in a phone conservation . As far as the relationship between BJ and i ..... I can assure you there won't be any warm hugs at the next meet. Sad..... money has to trump personal relationships.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:27 AM
Chris Smith
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't be surprised if the OP was sent a knock-off version direct from the manufacturer intended for a different label instead of a Torus. I hope the ARF RC jet business model changes some day. Hard as they try the good companies still get burned.

To add to it in the FaceBook era, the face to face or phone to phone communticating is a lost art maybe?
Old 05-08-2014, 04:30 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by sensei
From a quality control and safety first standpoint one must ask, how fast do these things fly, and could anyone get hurt from an airframe coming apart? Who’s to say that there could, or could not be faulty glue joints in places you can’t see? From the video I wonder if there is a quality system in place because lets face it, a loose joint, cracked wood, or something like a crack in the fiberglass would constitute a quality issue, but what is shown in that video is so over the top in the lack of quality or qualified personnel manufacturing these things, forget it. Nobody has brought it up and although the company has offered to do the right thing and refund the man’s money; somebody within their organization should at least be asking and answering the 5 whys.
1.0 Why is the customer so unhappy with his purchase from us?
2.0 Why did this product move into our shipping department then on out to the customer in this condition?
3.0 Why did this product slip past our quality control system long before even the topcoat process further wasting the company’s money on a product that should have been destroyed after the ill fated attempt of assembly?
4.0 Why wasn’t there adequate employee training or at the very least supervision of these product manufacturing processes?
5.0 Why have we the owners/operators not implemented a last line of defense checks and balances system to keep this type of thing from happening?

Now truthfully answering the five whys to yourselves will give you the root cause of failure and implementing safeguards accordingly will give you a sound quality system. By the way, this 5 whys system is the very bases of an AS 9100 quality control system used in the aerospace industry and it does work very well. Now expressing to us the customer’s how you’re going to accomplish this would be the first step in winning our trust again.

Bob
Personally i think the chinese are left to police themselves . i have heard that even though BV imports some SM planes now , he inspects or has them inspected , every plane sold. just what i heard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.