Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

You may want to watch this before you buy a Boomerang Torus

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

You may want to watch this before you buy a Boomerang Torus

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 05:08 PM
4ptroll
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, here are a few pictures of mine. Poor glue joints, loose formers and indents in the side of the fuse . I'll end up going through this thing and fixing it all. But I can say that I'm really disappointed in Boomerang. A brand that myself and many others have held in high regard. I think they knew of the Torus problems and slashed the prices to unload the kits.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140508_073047862.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	2.36 MB
ID:	1993632   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140508_073101399.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	1993633   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140508_073108028.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	1993634   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140508_073116058.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	1993635   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140508_073136181.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	1993636  
Old 05-08-2014, 06:12 PM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow!!! I'm just shocked by that last post. I've had an élan and dealt with Patricia, both were great!!! Always heard the best about the company and the service..I had a friend tell me I just missed a great deal on a torus, seems funny the deal comes out and now 2 people with the same kind of quality!!!!!! I'll give benefit of the doubt with the companies track record, hoping for them it's just a big oversight..so I'm glad I didn't order that deal. By the looks of things with that batch,I probably would have ended up with one....
Old 05-08-2014, 07:28 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ptroll

Well, here are a few pictures of mine. Poor glue joints, loose formers and indents in the side of the fuse . I'll end up going through this thing and fixing it all. But I can say that I'm really disappointed in Boomerang. A brand that myself and many others have held in high regard. I think they knew of the Torus problems and slashed the prices to unload the kits.
Hum, picture evidence from a second person and a similar claim from a 3rd. The plot thickens...

Seems as if, as the saying goes, where there is smoke, there is fire...

Anyone want to step up and blast these two guys for their posts too?!?! Or maybe apologize to WB_1 for bringing to light what may be a *significant* slip in quality by a once reputable manufacturer...

Bob
Old 05-08-2014, 09:18 PM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boomerang say they do not have time to check every kit before it is sent to a customer. i suggest the time problem will soon be solved, as there will be less customers & plenty of time.
I am disappointed that such a good company come up with such a lame excuse for poor workmanship.

Last edited by Jim Cattanach; 05-08-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:31 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Huhm, ... I wondered why Dreamworks quit selling Boomerangs! Could this be the reason? On the Sprint that I built this winter, there were nearly all the same problems that were written about years ago in the build thread. While it was great to be made aware of the problems, I question a company that cannot timely implement simple manufacturing fixes to legit feedback, in a couple years (i.e. several wing tube and rod miss-alignment issues, need for engine shimming, horizontal stab shimming, terrible covering job, etc., etc.) I have built several ARFs. After that Sprint, build, I seriously doubt I'll build another jet, for sure, not one of these. And,yes, I believe if you have manufacturing issues like those described in this video, the supplier should be taking the time necessary to check every last box, before it ships. It is part of the cost of ensuring quality. That is what quality control is all about (i.e. finding and fixing non-conformities before they get to the customer.) I feel it is past time to stop coddling and start treating model suppliers with lacking quality like any other business. Vote with your $s. For me, brand loyalty only goes so far. When safety is compromised like what is described in this video, that is over the line. When nothing fits during the build, it is time to put my $s elsewhere.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:48 PM
Tuggs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those interested in quality issues with boomerang kits, here is another example of a boomerang elan, taken out of a german RC forum (October 2013):

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...boomerang+elan

Text is German, but some of the pictures speak for themselves. It's the same problem basically: Kits get delivered from the factory to the distributer and then to the customer without being checked for quality issues.I believe this is pretty much the only problem here. As long as the dealer steps up and offers compensation that is.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:07 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Cattanach
Boomerang say they do not have time to check every kit before it is sent to a customer. i suggest the time problem will soon be solved, as there will be less customers & plenty of time.
I am disappointed that such a good company come up with such a lame excuse for poor workmanship.
Like I already pointed out,there are 5 whys to a root cause analysis, they have in one line gone directly to the root cause by stating they do not have time to check every kit that is going out. Lets break that down, they have time to bank the customers money, they have time to receive the product from their supplier, and it doesn't matter who the suppliers are, and they have time to ship the product, right? Root cause is you must make time for quality control measures because it won't happen on it's own, making a statement like they don't have time tells me that they have already made a decision about their internal quality control system or the lack thereof, end of story, spend your money and take your pick!

Bob
Old 05-09-2014, 04:43 AM
chopper52

Originally Posted by steph69
your an idiot
And look who is talking (People that cant think before they act causing problems).. Last post to much drama!!

Last edited by chopper52; 05-09-2014 at 06:04 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:51 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My suggestion to Alan would be to immediately open all kits and check them for QC before sending out to customers. Moreover, they need someone who they trust to actually look at every kit before shipping it for future orders. Once this is done a QC sticker needs to be placed on the fuse showing it was inspected.

Next issue a public statement promising to replace any defective kit anyone has (+ freight) and issue call tags for return of the defective kits - no questions asked.

Although I haven't bought one in years, my experience with Boomerang jets has been nothing but flawless. They have always bent over backwards to make things right if there is an issue. It's a great company with great people. They also brought the jet hobby closer and more enjoyable to many who were new to the hobby. Let's not bash this company. Unlike other factories we have dealt with, they are trying to do the right thing for their customers.

Times like these are the pillar that distinguish companies from one another. Boomerang jets has an opportunity to use this issue as a springboard into more sales by showing everyone that they do care about their customer base and that they always take care of their customers. You can't buy that kind of advertisement and good will.

Last edited by AndyAndrews; 05-09-2014 at 04:58 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:06 AM
cmoore806
My Feedback: (82)

I am not even a jet guy and I get sick just seeing that poor craftsmanship. What a lousy job they did.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:30 AM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Agree with Andy on this. whatever leaves the warehouse should be thoroughly checked... probably should take a few days and check the inventory so they can push back on what isnt up to par.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:01 AM
Turbinac

Default Ironic, but Ron still wants a Torus.

Email sent yesterday from Patricia to Ron Griswold after he had said he could find a box for it and we could get it collected;-

Ron:
Alan received an urgent call from our manufacturer in China after he raised hell with them. They want the kit returned to them as soon as possible for their own physical examination.
Please place the spar and canopy I sent to you in with the kit. Please advise me as soon as it is ready for shipping and I will instruct FedEx to come to your house and pick it up.
Unfortunately, as you are most likely aware from the posting on our website, I have no more Torus kits in stock. Therefore, I am not able to send you another kit.
I suggest you deposit the refund check I mailed to you yesterday into your bank, and as soon as I receive my next shipment of Torus kits, I will be able to sell you another kit.
Again, please let me know as soon as the kit is ready for pickup.

Reply from Ron verbatim, exactly as received;-

tris , this plane is still mine . I bought and paid for it at your sale price . I want a replacement of a good plane of equal value . I have no box to ship this in as I threw it away. I’ll have to see how to ship it back after we come to an agreement. . you might try getting your English counterpart to send me another plane. ,ron

Last edited by Turbinac; 05-09-2014 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:19 AM
Lownverted

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Always two sides to the story eh?

I see a good company trying to make this right, and a customer being unreasonably difficult. Yes you got a crappy kit, yes you should be made whole. All company's make mistakes, but they are judged by how they respond. I see nothing to indicate anything but over the top customer service being offered, yet the OP is going out of his way to be difficult. Boomerang has had and continues to have outstanding customer service, I for one would not hesitate to buy another jet from them (I have two). Even mentioning them in the same breath as FEJ is laughable.

So, they've IMMEDIATELY mailed a refund check (without having the plane back, who would do that?) explained that they don't have another kit to send you at this moment, arranged to have FedEx pick it up so that they can continue to raise hell with the factory. Yet while you claim you're not out to slam anyone, & you can't make the effort to find a box? It is crystal clear what your motive is here, and it's not simply to warn others.

Alan and Patricia have my utmost respect. Not so much for the OP.

Last edited by Lownverted; 05-10-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:47 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no box to ship this in as I threw it away.
Not to pick nits, but I'm wondering why would someone toss the box before giving the jet a good going-over, just in case one discovers serious flaws that would necessitate return of the jet?

I keep the box for a while just for this very reason, be it the box for the entire jet, or a box that contains any parts and such that I order for the build.

Sluggo
Old 05-09-2014, 07:47 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbinac
Email sent yesterday from Patricia to Ron Griswold after he had said he could find a box for it and we could get it collected;-

Ron:
Alan received an urgent call from our manufacturer in China after he raised hell with them. They want the kit returned to them as soon as possible for their own physical examination.
Please place the spar and canopy I sent to you in with the kit. Please advise me as soon as it is ready for shipping and I will instruct FedEx to come to your house and pick it up.
Unfortunately, as you are most likely aware from the posting on our website, I have no more Torus kits in stock. Therefore, I am not able to send you another kit.
I suggest you deposit the refund check I mailed to you yesterday into your bank, and as soon as I receive my next shipment of Torus kits, I will be able to sell you another kit.

tris , this plane is still mine . I bought and paid for it at your sale price . I want a replacement of a good plane of equal value . I have no box to ship this in as I threw it away. I’ll have to see how to ship it back after we come to an agreement. . you might try getting your English counterpart to send me another plane. ,ron
Warbird, I was siding with you and thought your intentions to be honorable but, after reading this, there is clearly some other motivation here.

The kit is absolute crap but, under the circumstances, I would say that the offer from the manufacturer/ distributor cannot get any better than this! If you can't accept that remedy, I'm afraid that you ARE just being a difficult customer and no company needs those select few customers. Get your refund, pack the plane up in a suitable box and let the manufacturer pick it up and move on.

Mike

Last edited by luv2flyrc; 05-09-2014 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:48 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbinac

Ron:

Allen , the only time you respond is to attack lol . i have nothing to hide. , what i said was true. why .. all of a sudden did dreamworks pull your kits and you no longer have any kits in stock. My question to colin still stands .. why is my kit different from his? i am prepared to make another video showing the differences between his and mine. as far as my statement in regards to her English counter part . i was referring to colin so step up , be the honest and caring person you claim to be send me another "good" kit and i'll return this one in the box the new kit comes in and this will be over. i don't want your money .. i want a replacement ... of new stock like colin's not much to ask p.s. you should have checked your product and then rasied hell and spared me all this garbage. besides the fact that you have my phone number and you guys can call anytime . i don't asking for a replacement is being unreasonable . i sold a Bind and fly intro so i could buy this thing.

Last edited by warbird_1; 05-09-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:49 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by VF84sluggo
Not to pick nits, but I'm wondering why would someone toss the box before giving the jet a good going-over, just in case one discovers serious flaws that would necessitate return of the jet?

I keep the box for a while just for this very reason, be it the box for the entire jet, or a box that contains any parts and such that I order for the build.

Sluggo
because of space . i removed the plane and checked "everything" for shipping damages only and put it aside.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:55 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Originally Posted by warbird_1
...send me another "good" kit and i'll return this one in the box the new kit comes in and this will be over. i don't want your money .. i want a replacement ...
This does seem like a reasonable compromise to the solution of no box.

If BJ is willing to refund money without first receiving return of the defective jet, then what's the difference between that and just sending a new, QC'd jet? Ok, so the OP might have to wait a while. Now I can't speak for him, but if it were me, I'd be willing to wait...maybe not real happy about it, but willing.

Sluggo
Old 05-09-2014, 07:56 AM
Lownverted

Allen , the only time you respond is to attack lol . i have nothing to hide. , what i said was true. why .. all of a sudden did dreamworks pull your kits and you no longer have any kits in stock. My question to colin still stands .. why is my kit different from his? i am prepared to make another video showing the differences between his and mine. as far as my statement in regards to her English counter part . i was referring to colin so step up , be the honest and caring person you claim to be send me another "good" kit and i'll return this one in the box the new kit comes in and this will be over. i don't want your money .. i want a replacement ... of new stock like colin's not much to ask p.s. you should have checked your product and then rasied hell and spared me all this garbage.
Aha! Your motives are now becoming much more clear! You do want to slam them and air dirty laundry, otherwise why mention DreamWorks at all? You don't want a resolution, you want to drag their name through the mud and cause drama. Clearly shows the kind of person you really are doesn't it.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:57 AM
warbird_1

Allen , this is my emai l sent to colin... no answer

I don’t want a refund. I want a good plane. I asked the question on the forum about why the wing root is different. you have my word that what I’m told will stay with us. I want to know if in fact I was sold a old/first run kit. my suspicions are that the price was lowered just to unload old outdated stock. I would have never posted that video if I wasn’t made to feel like I was bothering someone when I called the first time about the spar and canopy being bad and second I don’t think issues like this should be swept under the rug it’s not fair to hard working folks who spend hard earned money . you can’t by a container of planes time after time and worry about problems till after the fact. you must be proactive. so I still ask the question and expect an honest answer . what’s up with the wing root ? further more I will not cash any check or ship anything till we get this worked out , ron p.s. I thanks you for having the decency to start a dialog

Old 05-09-2014, 07:59 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by Lownverted
Aha! Your motives are now becoming much more clear! You do want to slam them and air dirty laundry, otherwise why mention DreamWorks at all? You don't want a resolution, you want to drag their name through the mud and cause drama. Clearly shows the kind of person you really are doesn't it.
you have the right to your views .. lol
Old 05-09-2014, 08:02 AM
Bravo77

After all the bashing, low talk and abuse and public humiliation of a good company,you are treated so royally , I say shame on you as a modeler . You should have been man enough and call the companyin the first place and explain the situation , you would have gotten the same result , You should be man enough and apologise and from now on shut up . People like you have some kind of an agenda and I am not proud of you . Alan and his team are great people , and if it was not for Alan and his designs , call them what you want trainers etc, many of us would not have been where we are today in the flying of turbine airplanes , These planes allow people to train themselves and become competent pilots , how many companies out there could say the same of themselves. This is a great forum and I restrict my self from posting here because of the negative and sometimes silly remarks some people make on the forum , but I could not stand by and see great man like Alan Cardash and his company be bashed for nothing , We all agree mistakes are possible and maybe Sir you are perfect , so build your own jet and sell it without complaints and see where you will be.I have only met Alan once and I have not business relations with him or his company , but he is a great guy , very humble and willing to help , so I would say to anyone who is afraid to buy a Boomerang product , buy one and you will not regreat it . I started with a Boomerang sprint and after a year I am on to an ULTRA FLASH , but my Boomerang will always be my favorite , because it allowed me to gain confidence when I could not find it in anything that was out there.

Last edited by Bravo77; 05-10-2014 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Mistake
Old 05-09-2014, 08:05 AM
Lownverted

you have the right to your views .. lol
You're the one preaching about how you don't want anything, now it's turned into a vendetta with you throwing accusations about the age and provenance of your kit, and demanding answers. That's what you wanted from the start isn't it? Smug satisfaction is all you're after. If I were BJ, I'd hope you cash the check and go away. They have gone above and beyond to satisfy you, yet you still want more. You are the exception to the customer is always right rule.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:06 AM
Lownverted

Originally Posted by Bravo77
After all the bashing, low talk and abuse and public humiliation of a good company,you are treated so royally , I say shame on you as a modeler . You should have been man enough and call the companyin the first place and explain the situation , you would have gotten the same result , You should be man enough and apologise and from now on shut up . .

This......... +10
Old 05-09-2014, 08:07 AM
warbird_1

you know what ... i think i'll keep it. i'll send the check back . i'll flying just the way it is. i'll have to tack the engine mount in of course

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.