Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JMP Air Traps

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JMP Air Traps

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 06:50 PM
Gary Jefferson
My Feedback: (167)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JMP Air Traps

I received two of the new JMP Air Traps from Jet Model products and thought I would post a couple of pictures. Very nice units with built-in aluminum mounting flanges and available in either vertical or horizontal mounting.

Here are a couple of pictures of the air trap sitting in my Lightning. I ordered mine with large 3/16" I.D. fittings since I am using a P-180.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-05-07 08.38.52.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	808.2 KB
ID:	1993359   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-05-07 08.37.23.jpg
Views:	905
Size:	915.5 KB
ID:	1993360   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-05-07 08.40.07.jpg
Views:	934
Size:	685.7 KB
ID:	1993361   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-05-07 08.37.40.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	773.2 KB
ID:	1993362  
Old 05-07-2014, 07:54 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats the price on these, jmp doesn't have the pricing on their sites, looks like a beefed up version of the GBR jets tanks,

ALSO what will happen to the original air accumulator?

Lastly, I hope JMP licensed these from GBR jets because it clearly looks like the design came from GBR. I have 9 GBR airtraps, all of them rock solid no flex.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:48 AM
Gary Jefferson

Originally Posted by DiscoWings
whats the price on these, jmp doesn't have the pricing on their sites, looks like a beefed up version of the GBR jets tanks,

Lastly, I hope JMP licensed these from GBR jets because it clearly looks like the design came from GBR. I have 9 GBR airtraps, all of them rock solid no flex.
I really don't know anything about licensing and that is probably not my concern since I am not the manufacturer. I am merely making a post to share information on a new product for which I thought others might be interested. Some guys will see the mounting flanges as a benefit I suppose. I personally like the idea of being able to solid mount the air trap.
Regardless, I am sure all of the JMP air traps will be "Rock Solid" as well. Jet Model Products is a well respected company in this hobby and everything they make is top of the line.

I am glad that you are happy with your 9 GBR air traps; this is just another option for the rest of us I guess.

Last edited by Gary Jefferson; 05-08-2014 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:04 AM
Erik R
My Feedback: (32)

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Making friends again?

Old 05-08-2014, 07:51 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Really? How many different ways do you expect there would be to make an airtrap? This is the same basic design as their all aluminum ones from JMP but with a clear canister so you can see the fuel. Licensed...... unreal.....
Old 05-08-2014, 08:14 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

JMP makes great stuff. This was the only thing really missing from their accumulators.

Thanks for the post OP.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:41 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix
Really? How many different ways do you expect there would be to make an airtrap? This is the same basic design as their all aluminum ones from JMP but with a clear canister so you can see the fuel. Licensed...... unreal.....
Basic design, yeah right, all the traps before this were poofy bottles that flexed. BVM, Hansen,King Tech trap follow the same design. GBR came out with the first hardened fiberglass trap and clearly this new JMP trap is based on the GBR Traps.

But copying is no issue for you, and what a coincidence considering your copied the JMP firebird when you contracted Fly Eagle Jet to make your ill-fated liberty Jet.

The air traps will probably be fine, but GBR made them first.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:12 AM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I think the anodized alum ends with a cylinder differentiate these from GBR's round cell monocoque design.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:23 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Hey guys please keep it polite.

Otherwise people will be sitting on the naughty step for a while.

J.Duncker RC Jets mod
Old 05-08-2014, 01:18 PM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Basic design, yeah right, all the traps before this were poofy bottles that flexed. BVM, Hansen,King Tech trap follow the same design. GBR came out with the first hardened fiberglass trap and clearly this new JMP trap is based on the GBR Traps.

But copying is no issue for you, and what a coincidence considering your copied the JMP firebird when you contracted Fly Eagle Jet to make your ill-fated liberty Jet.

I believe their all aluminum trap was out first. But what do I know...
Old 05-08-2014, 04:34 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Bwahahahaha..... yeah right....
FIrst off, I didn't contract anyone for the liberty, I did a drawing of what my ideal jet would have been, FEJ took drawings, f'd it up and made a piece of crap out of it. When I had the Liberty next to the firebird, they didn't look all that similar, but then what do I know, I have only had both.

The first JMP Accumulater has been around for YEARS. Way longer that GBR. Hell, I had one in my firebird before the GBR ones existed. Even the hard plastic PST ones were around before GBR. I am not saying anything bad about the GBR, they look great, but you haven't a clue on your facts. Before anyone called them UAT's or accumulaters we called them header tanks and they were 4oz dubro tanks in ducted fans. But hey, I keep forgetting you're an expert so keep blowing your own horn buddy.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:05 AM
Gary Jefferson

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix
Really? How many different ways do you expect there would be to make an airtrap? This is the same basic design as their all aluminum ones from JMP but with a clear canister so you can see the fuel..
I think this is correct. The real reason for the new design is just so you can see through the air trap to see fuel. According to Tom Cook this is what people were asking for...I suppose some guys are uncomfortable using the solid aluminum version because you cannot see if there are air bubbles that have developed in the air trap.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:36 PM
skymaster68

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

So, are they good , I need to get a larger GBR but there is no stock at dreamworks, JMP's are, any feed back will be appreciated.
Thxs
Old 02-26-2015, 01:58 AM
marc s

Hi, I want to add a few of my comments around this 'debate' if thats OK (freedom of speech and all that) being the manufacturer of the CAT.

I designed the CAT some 6 years ago, simply because the plastic bottle type I was being given by clients to instal in their jet builds was a PITA to instal and not very well designed, I had also been supplied one of the JMP solid Aluminium units for an MB339 build but struggled to understand how you could detect any air inside being a solid tank. I spent a long time researching and designing the CAT - the key features being a solid tank to avoid collapsing walls, translucent so you can see any air in the tank, high flow fittings and internal filter/pickup to reduce cavitation and draw loads on the pump, reduced fill bore fitting to reduce pressure on tanks during filling, really easy to mount, range of sizes to suit different turbines as one size does not fit all and lightweight.

To be honest there has been some '*****ing' in the background but putting this aside and looking at the market there is room for us all - I don't do politics.

I love design and functionality, and often this gives rise to more issues (note Apple v Samsung) but ultimately the proof is in the pudding and whilst we have choice all you guys out there will have your preferences. I thank all those who use the CAT and appreciate your custom, a new V2 version of the CAT-M and CAT-L are soon to be available, Dreamworks has the CAT-M V2 already and the CAT-L V2 will be with them in the next week. It's the same price too so better value.

marcs
Old 02-26-2015, 06:01 AM
skymaster68

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks Marc, for the explain, I've been using cat's but as they were no in stock I stared to see other options, like your's much better... will wait for the large CAT from Dremaworks next week.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:04 AM
marc s

Your welcome and appreciate your support.

marcs
Old 02-26-2015, 11:51 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Mmmm I could wade in so long and so much, but a tank that flexes is best in my opinion...and I have done a little jet flying. BVM were there (possibly) first with composite tanks-you think uncle Bob would have missed the trick of developing a hard walled tank if he thought it was a good idea!?
If the tank sucks in its nothing to do with the bottle, its the plumbing that's wrong. Free flowing the plastic bottle works great...most important it informs you of what is happening during the life of a fuel system and model. It should not suck in or bulge out in use, if it does you clunk, clunk line, fuel lines, overflow is inadequate...simple fact. A hard tank masks this fact and the first time you know about restrictions it as a flame out. I have seen this enough since these "hard walled" tanks became a "bling" item. Heavy! multiple leakage points. Funny enough my latest RCJi article talks about this.
MAP Canada make the best hopper, bubble, UAT, trap. They have hi-flow, std and small, everything I need and having sold hundreds and hundreds to happy customers and used them exclusively in every model I have built for around 5 years...smart people notice how many flame outs I suffer...one hand will do for many many many hundreds of flights, and the few have been nothing to do with my hopper tank choice or fuel system.
Mounting one is easy...and light,depends whether the operation of your model or the look of your installation is key.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:16 PM
Gary Jefferson

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
Mmmm I could wade in so long and so much, but a tank that flexes is best in my opinion...and I have done a little jet flying. BVM were there (possibly) first with composite tanks-you think uncle Bob would have missed the trick of developing a hard walled tank if he thought it was a good idea!?
If the tank sucks in its nothing to do with the bottle, its the plumbing that's wrong. Free flowing the plastic bottle works great...most important it informs you of what is happening during the life of a fuel system and model. It should not suck in or bulge out in use, if it does you clunk, clunk line, fuel lines, overflow is inadequate...simple fact. A hard tank masks this fact and the first time you know about restrictions it as a flame out. I have seen this enough since these "hard walled" tanks became a "bling" item. Heavy! multiple leakage points. Funny enough my latest RCJi article talks about this.
MAP Canada make the best hopper, bubble, UAT, trap. They have hi-flow, std and small, everything I need and having sold hundreds and hundreds to happy customers and used them exclusively in every model I have built for around 5 years...smart people notice how many flame outs I suffer...one hand will do for many many many hundreds of flights, and the few have been nothing to do with my hopper tank choice or fuel system.
Mounting one is easy...and light,depends whether the operation of your model or the look of your installation is key.
I guess you could say that the tank masks the problem but the question is "Is that the tanks fault or is it just due to an improper installation". Having run several different hard shell uat tanks over the last few years also with many flights in several different planes I cannot find any fault with a hard shell uat.

I don't think it matters whether you use a hard shell uat or a soft uat, if it is plumbed incorrectly you will likely have problems.

Maybe the most important thing is to understand how fuel systems work. Thanks to guys like Oli there is plenty of information on this topic now.

Last edited by Gary Jefferson; 02-26-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:58 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
Mmmm I could wade in so long and so much, but a tank that flexes is best in my opinion.
Not an expert by far, but I would not assume that the flex resistance of the plastics bottles happen to coincide with the proper pressures (or suction?) of the turbine system. In other words, there may not be any relation between the suction force (?) required to flex the bottle, and the typical suction forces in an adequately designed fuel system for the turbine. If so, then the bottle is not telling us anything when it flex about the adequacy of the fittings sizes, clunk, fuel lines, etc in the fuel system...