Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New wireless airspeed/flameout monitor w/ audio

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New wireless airspeed/flameout monitor w/ audio

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 10:10 AM
hyperdyne
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New wireless airspeed/flameout monitor w/ audio

I've been working on this for some time and finally got some vid of my version 1 boards. Here it is:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAqwd_1zkLg&feature=channel&list=UL[/youtube]

What is it? A wireless unit that sends back data from your plane to a belt worn box. The audio alerts give you speed readings and flameout warning (unit also has a vib motor that goes off when a flameout occurs). Typically you would wear an earbud while flying, the vid just has a small speaker for demo. I am also working on adding other sensors. I wanted something that gave me airspeed measurements on landing so I could be more consistent. I have a flameout detection circuit since every second counts when one happens in air. Not to mention I've seen others (and done so myself) carry too much speed on dead stick landings. Here this unit just gives you one more piece of info in that time of need when the pucker factor is high. A secondary use is to know your speed during rallies so you aren't flagged for going to fast. Or if you just want to know how fast you can get your plane up to in real time. The version 1 unit above has about a 1000' range. Good enough for landings and general flying.

I just finished testing my ver2 of the unit, the receiver is a bit smaller and has a range of over a mile. I tested both out on my apprentice and my JR with no problems, interference, etc. I could fly out as far as I could make ot the plane and still get data. The ver2 also has a 2-way link, so data can be sent up to the plane as well. More info coming! I hope to take a couple out to the jet rally here if I get everything mounted...

Old 08-14-2012, 10:19 AM
readyturn
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: New wireless airspeed/flameout monitor w/ audio

The idea of the speed call out is really good. Are you using a pitot-static or GPS based speed reference ?
Old 08-14-2012, 11:05 AM
hyperdyne

Right now I am using the eagletree pitot-static v3 airspeed module. It simply plugs into my board and gets the speed reading every 100msec.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:39 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Any chance on getting one for Fuel?
Old 08-14-2012, 11:45 AM
hyperdyne

If you have a sensor for fuel tank capacity it can certainly be added. I made the flameout alarm based on the fuel solenoid position. I have plenty of data bandwidth to send over all kinds of stuff.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:34 PM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: hyperdyne

If you have a sensor for fuel tank capacity it can certainly be added. I made the flameout alarm based on the fuel solenoid position. I have plenty of data bandwidth to send over all kinds of stuff.

That's very IMPRESSIVE man. Keep up the good work
Old 08-16-2012, 10:17 AM
hyperdyne

Thanks! I have my version 2 up and running. Will get pics up soon. I got rid of the dipole antennas for smaller wires. Works well - range is very good.

I also just got multiple modules working at once. So there can be many of these flying in different planes at once. Hope to get mine into a jet this weekend...

Be fun to get a high speed reading in real time also. No need for radar guns!

Old 08-16-2012, 10:48 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

cool deal
Old 08-16-2012, 10:49 AM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

I think its a great idea for the flameout warning alone!! Speed call out is nice but I think 5mph increments are a little too close together. Maybe you could get it to call out 5mph increments between say 30-60mph and then 10mph increment above that. I could see that as getting annoying after a minute of flying or so.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:59 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

flameout warning alone!!
Expecially at large Jet events flying with more than 5 jets in the air [8D]
Old 08-16-2012, 12:15 PM
hyperdyne

I agree! I have been going back and forth trying to come up with a happy medium for speed calls. I do want 5mph increments in the landing/approach speed zone. So perhaps 5mph incr from 5-60mph, 10mph from 61-125, and 15mph there up?

ORIGINAL: ianober

I think its a great idea for the flameout warning alone!! Speed call out is nice but I think 5mph increments are a little too close together. Maybe you could get it to call out 5mph increments between say 30-60mph and then 10mph increment above that. I could see that as getting annoying after a minute of flying or so.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:02 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: hyperdyne

I agree! I have been going back and forth trying to come up with a happy medium for speed calls. I do want 5mph increments in the landing/approach speed zone. So perhaps 5mph incr from 5-60mph, 10mph from 61-125, and 15mph there up?

ORIGINAL: ianober

That sounds like a good start but I would definitely make it user adjustable / programmable so that each person can adjust to their liking. I think this could be a great product though if you get it small enough and and low enough power draw.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:13 PM
hyperdyne

I am going to make it programmable for sure. Right now for field testing I want to program it to something usable...

Old 08-16-2012, 07:30 PM
jetdriver
My Feedback: (1)

deleted
Old 08-17-2012, 02:43 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim,
I like your idea of the call speed callouts. Maybe a program option to turn off the call outs above traffic pattern speed. I think I would like to have the call outs on all the time for certain flights and be able to turn them off above traffic pattern speeds on other flights.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:46 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hello,

I thought I wrote this before but it got dropped. First great work, keep everyone posted.

What frequency/modulation does this use and how much compatability testing have you done with the 2.4 GHz control radios?

Keep posting!
Old 08-17-2012, 11:37 PM
hyperdyne

Matt, I am using a freq hopping radio at 900MHz. From my experience so far, no problems with the 2.4Ghz radios. I flew probably 1/2 mile away in my foamy with no issues. I hope to get some more stick time with it tomorrow.

Sid, will do. Have to add lots of new features...

Old 08-20-2012, 09:23 AM
hyperdyne

ok, flew the new system in 2 of my jets this weekend! Everything went great, range is not an issue. And no interference with the 2.4G. I have a few things to work on with the airspeed sensor, sometimes that eagle tree is returning me bogus data. Plus some new enhancements came to light during the field test.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:48 AM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so cool.. gotta love the hobby..
Old 08-20-2012, 11:41 AM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

I was present when Jim flew the system in his Boomerang last Sat. I have wanted this capability for a long time and now I am really excited to see the proto working. Today I am installing version 1 proto in my Cosmic Wind for tests and will move it to my Boomerang soon. Version 1 is more limited in range but I will use it just for landing approach speed control and will switch to the full range version as soon as available.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:54 PM
k12rc

any idea when they will be released and price I'am very interested because of speed being called out
Old 08-20-2012, 03:35 PM
hyperdyne

Pretty soon. I just have to tweak on the firmware a little bit more and add in the other features.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:36 AM
hyperdyne

Been busy on the v2 unit. Added in feature to disable/enable speed calls over 60mph. Also user can set up report intervals between low, medium, and high speed calls. Defaults are low: +/-5mph speed change, med: +/-10mph speed change, high: +/- 20mph speed change

Added feature to set up a desired stall speed. If speed goes below saved stall speed you get audible alarm. Can be disabled by setting stall speed to 0mph.

Have to get this back in the air for the next test!

Old 08-21-2012, 04:39 PM
roger.alli

I like the concept of your system..

For the last 12 months I have been flying a Bandit fitted with a pitot tube, integrated to Weatronics RX toTX telemetry. At present the airspeed/altitude data is sent in real time from the model to the transmitter, and recorded on an SD card. This data can also be displayed in real time using a laptop connected to the pilots transmitter via a USB. (This is not that practicable on the flight line!)

Weatronics have promised an English speech programme that will “speak” to the pilot via an earpiece or speaker, and call out speeds at pre-set intervals. For example, when on finals, the unit is programed to call out air speed every 2 sec, regardless of the change in airspeed.

Unfortunately Weatronics have not yet developed this speech program, which is quite frustrating as this is the final component to complete the loop.

BTW, the Weatronics telemetry down link uses frequency hopping on 2.4 Ghz.

I will watch your progress with this.

Roger
Old 08-21-2012, 04:48 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

....so am I , with great interest.

The fact that this is providing information to the pilot that can be used during the flight, without the assistance of someone else, and the fact that it is not 'interfering' with the flying of the plane, is great.

Cheers,

Jan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.