Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Classic Bandit Composite RX Battery suggestions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Classic Bandit Composite RX Battery suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 03:16 PM
txshan130
My Feedback: (114)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Classic Bandit Composite RX Battery suggestions

OK all - I am having a tough time debating what to do with our Classic Bandit as far as RX batteries. I've built lots of jets and have always stayed on the conservative side, using either JR Powersafe RXs with dual A123 batts or Powerbox setups with dual A123 batts. Up until now I haven't worried much about the additional weight, always preferring to have the added safety of the dual batteries over the weight saving of going with a single battery. I am having second thoughts about using the dual A123 batteries on the Bandit (even finding a spot for them is tough in this jet!)..it still has digital servos though and I really don't want any issues with "brownouts" due to overloading a single RX battery. All of our setups to date have been bulletproof after many hundreds of flights and I am reluctant to change, but as I said worried about making this one on the heavy side..

The Bandit has a Wren 100 and has the following for servos on the main control surfaces:

elev servos - JR 8411
flaps - JR 8411
ailerons - JR 8411
rudder - JR 3421

So any ideas from those of you who have set up the Composite Bandit before? What have others done?

Thanks in advance for any help! Always glad to hear from others on here....

- Brian
Old 06-12-2014, 05:18 PM
roger.alli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Brian,

I guess you will get lots of different ideas here.. There many different way to approach this, but you are right to try and keep the weight down.

My classic Balsa Bandit started life with a single JR 5 cell 600 Mah pack, plugged into a single JR switch, with one plug direct into a 10ch PCM receiver. It worked just fine for many many flights!!! But things change!!

Today, my Super Bandit (and my Bobcat) use one of these .. http://www.powerbox-systems.com/en/p...ox-sensor.html with two, Hyperion 2S LiFe batteries, of 1500 mAh capacity each. This can supply 8 amps peak, which is plenty for a Bandit. The regulator supply leads are plugged into opposite ends of my Weatronics Rx, and all servos are fed through the receiver board.

This set up is simple, relatively light, provides a constant voltage, and gives some protection against a single failure.

My opinion only. There are lots of other ways to provide power, which are equally valid.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sensor__92185__00256_zoom.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	363.9 KB
ID:	2004545  
Old 06-12-2014, 05:43 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by roger.alli
Hi Brian,

I guess you will get lots of different ideas here.. There many different way to approach this, but you are right to try and keep the weight down.

My classic Balsa Bandit started life with a single JR 5 cell 600 Mah pack, plugged into a single JR switch, with one plug direct into a 10ch PCM receiver. It worked just fine for many many flights!!! But things change!!

Today, my Super Bandit (and my Bobcat) use one of these .. http://www.powerbox-systems.com/en/p...ox-sensor.html with two, Hyperion 2S LiFe batteries, of 1500 mAh capacity each. This can supply 8 amps peak, which is plenty for a Bandit. The regulator supply leads are plugged into opposite ends of my Weatronics Rx, and all servos are fed through the receiver board.

This set up is simple, relatively light, provides a constant voltage, and gives some protection against a single failure.

My opinion only. There are lots of other ways to provide power, which are equally valid.
+1

This was my set-up for years, but with two Fromeco 2600mah Li-Ions, including two Bandits and Bobcat.

Since changing to 2S LiFe, the PB switch is no longer required.

Last edited by George; 06-12-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:52 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Im running the powersafe 9ch rx in my classic composite bandit. Two 2s 2500 A123's are in the nose infront of the steering servo board. A 3s 2500 ecu pack is wrapped in heat shield fabric and placed on the platform above the left elevator servo. The UAT is wrapped in heat shield and places above the right elevator servo. Fuel pump directly under the right mounting lug on the bypass. Ecu on the glasw shelf between the cockpit and engine hatch.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:14 PM
Greg G
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have been using 2 X A123 2300mAh packs (8.7oz each x 2=17.4oz). You could simply reduce the capacity and use 2 X A123 1100mAh packs(3.0oz each x 2=6.0 oz) . You would still have the redundancy of two packs, same great charge/discharge characteristics of A123 but significantly less weight (11.4oz difference). You would just get fewer flights between charges. I like the ED Nano packs from electrodynamics.

With a powersafe RX, you could also use one 2300mAh pack and one 1100mAh pack(8.7+3.0=11.7oz). The RX will always draw from the higher voltage pack. Not as balanced a solution but an intermediate weight.

Name:	Captureed.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	2004553  

Last edited by Greg G; 06-12-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:50 PM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is my setup. Two 2500mAh A123s from hangtimes directly to the Rx. No switches. I can fly 10+ flights per day without charge. This is in an MKII with a P100 and it is 20lb even with UAT full.

Name:	IMG_3164.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	2004567   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3165.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	2004568  
Old 06-12-2014, 07:33 PM
txshan130
My Feedback: (114)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thx for all the great ideas...think I will just reduce the capacity of the 2 A123 batts and keep the Powersafe. Been a while since I bought anything but A123 batts...now seems like all the manufacturers have the LiFePo4 batts of varying capacities.

Problem solved :-)