Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_matt View Post
    Anyone that flew an FD3-67 or a JPX propane is an eternal hero in my book.

My turbine trainer was a BVM Bandit. That was a fun maiden :-) I had more $$ in the air than I had spent total on the hobby to date.
    My first turbine was a Interceptor. I chose it because I had already been flying a ducted fan Interceptor for about a year. I flew the ducted fan version with the throttle servo slowed to 10 seconds for several months before the turbine was ready, so I at least had some idea of what to expect.
    I put the first flight on the turbine at Florida Jets (1996 or 1997). I was terrified!
    The next year at Florida Jets I put the 100th flight on that model, and won best sport jet (much to Bob Violett's dismay).
    Kevin Whitlow

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_W View Post

I put the first flight on the turbine at Florida Jets (1996 or 1997). I was terrified!
    I'd say flying your first turbine at a jet meet is a bad idea. Too much going on.

Rushing at the pits, rushing to take off, rushing to land, etc...

Yes, there is more concentration of seasoned pilots and trouble shooters, but it's just too much IMHO.

Regarding skipping a trainer, just know that you will hurt and scratch up your first jet. Its just going to happen.

I'm happy I got a trainer when I started both just regular ole R/C AND jets.

Here's how I started:

OH NO, not another turbine newbie!

I'm not sure I'd follow MY exact same path though!
    Last edited by ravill; 05-28-2014 at 03:16 PM.
    RAVjets Demo Team. All We Do Is Fly.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by ravill View Post
    I'd say flying your first turbine at a jet meet is a bad idea.
    I waited til very late on Saturday. Most everyone had already packed up, and there were very few flights going on at the time.
    Kevin Whitlow

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    You guys are awesome. Feedback is great. Thanks so much.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I don't think it was mentioned yet, but your flying field may have some influence on what to buy. I know some guys have flown the F-15 off of grass but it won't take the abuse like a twin boom jet with trailing link gear. I would pick the F-15 if my local club was 600ft of paved runway but if I had grass, I would pick the trainer.
    Cincinnati Jet Club
    Kingtech kingtechturbines.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Good point. I fly at Waco Field, a full scale grass runway 3000 feet long (approx.), but it is a bit bumpy. There are two jet pilots at our club, and they have several jets. F-22, Bandit, Boomerang, etc. We've had a Eurofighter flying at the field too. I don't think they've had any gear issues, but I'll ask.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    My first jet and my trainer for turbines is the BVM Bobcat, it is my turn and burn jet. I trust that plane completely and I can fly it however I want, very cool! I also recently purchased and have been flying a Yellow F-15 with a Jetcat P-120. The one thing I don't like about the F-15 is the difficulty with flying in crosswind conditions, I will fly the Bobcat in any kind of wind however. Having an exposed engine with no tail pipe is a huge advantage also for getting used to turbine operation.

I love scale planes, but my recommendation is to get a sport jet and learn about turbines, then get the F-15. You will always want to keep the sport jet around for practice and flying in less than perfect conditions.

Below is my Yellow F-15 and my BVM Bobcat with my 1940 Comet Sailplane for comparison of the old and new!

Good luck with whatever you decide,

Luke
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	011.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	305.5 KB 
ID:	1999484   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	301.4 KB 
ID:	1999485   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LukesBobcat.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	1999486  
    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" Carl Sagan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Get an Excalibur, its a bit like a Falcon with the bugs ironed out, flies so well , can be assembled easily at the field and will be fine with your 100. its a great confidence booster and is well made, and not expensive. you can get the experience you need on this whilst building your next scale jet.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    My first turbine was a carf ultra flash. Great all around jet. It flies fast and really slow. It has a nice long glide and you can get one rtf anywhere from 5-6.6k. Awesome jet. I have a JC cheetah in mine but you can fly it on a rabbit or similar thrust.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by c131frdave View Post
    I have read from two different people that a Falcon 120 variant will fit in my Trailblazer with the wings on. I can carry two 50CC gassers in there with the wings OFF fairly easily. I'm told to fit the Falcon 120 you have to put it in there diagonally. I plan on selling the Trailblazer fairly soon and getting a full sized pickup truck or possibly an Avalanche. I believe getting the airplane in a 8'X4' space shouldn't be terribly difficult.

I always liked the Bobcat, but I can't see putting that much $$ into it. That much money into a scale fighter jet, yes, but a sport jet... Not something I personally am comfortable with if the Falcon 120 is available despite the greater difficulty with transportation.
    Dave,

Mine fits in the back of my Tundra (diagonally) no problem, with all my field accesories..

Z

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12