Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

First Turbine Jet Question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

First Turbine Jet Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 08:15 AM
bmnewland
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Turbine Jet Question

Looking to get my first turbine jet. I am looking at the Navy Cat Jet sold new on the RCU classifieds. Anybody know anything good or bad about this jet. Price is right especially with the retracts, $600, and also it accepts the KingTech k80 which I thinking of going with. My other choice is the Turbinator ARF by DreamWorks also believe it will accept the K80. Don't like the $900 price tag though. I could build the Turbinator kit but don't know if I would be saving that much after buying all accessories and effort building. Would appreciate your opinion on these two jets. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:13 AM
M3Baker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've flown the Turbinator and it has a good flight envelope. Goes slow or pretty fast and lands easy. It would be a good first jet. Sorry, but don't have any experience with the other jet mentioned.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:22 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a great thread on the Navy Cat at:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2095652

I bought one from Yong (the guy selling them here). A very straight shooter and a very smooth transaction. I have not flown in yet but know a few guys that have and I hear it is a very honest plane,
Old 06-06-2014, 10:55 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on the turbinator. The navy cat has been a popular model also but is difficult to transport because the outer wings are not removable you have to remove the
booms and remove the entire wing or transport whole if you have a vehicle large enough.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:15 PM
GRVW

The Turbinator would be my choice too, especially with the benefit of hindsight having had a couple of different "trainer" types. The K80 will fly it well (but can take a smaller or larger size engine too). Easy to build, fly and, if necessary, fix. Looks fantastic in the air as well.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:57 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The Turbinator costs 3x what the Navy Cat does (when including recommended gear packages)

$600 vs $1800

And yes the wing design of the Navy Cat is a big negative if you have to take it apart for transport. A huge negative really
Old 06-06-2014, 03:30 PM
ira d

Originally Posted by mr_matt
The Turbinator costs 3x what the Navy Cat does (when including recommended gear packages)

$600 vs $1800

And yes the wing design of the Navy Cat is a big negative if you have to take it apart for transport. A huge negative really
Good point on the cost of retracts, I had forget because I did not buy mine all at the same time but I purchased the struts and then I used gear and wheels I had previously purchased.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:52 PM
bmnewland

Thanks for all the responses. Some advantages to both. Like em both. May get the navy cat first and get my feet wet, price is very attractive. But still like the Turbinator too. Decisions!! Again great help from you all. I will report back.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:21 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are buying a new Kingtech, I would go for the K100 instead of the K80. It is about $200 more but all the vitals are the same except the K100 has about 3# more thrust. May help later if you want to use it another air frame.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:55 PM
jetster81

Take a good look at the Ripmax Xcalibur, it ticks all the boxes, well made,easy to assemble, huge hatch to get at the gear for install, simple single flap setup, readily available spares, good quality retract package designed for this plane that holds air. AND, it is one of the best flying jets out there,very easy to take off and land,forgiving in flight with no nasty habits yet totally aerobatic with an 80-100 on board. I would not be without mine. Not sure what the price is in the US but it will be competitive for sure.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:00 PM
ira d

Originally Posted by jetster81
Take a good look at the Ripmax Xcalibur, it ticks all the boxes, well made,easy to assemble, huge hatch to get at the gear for install, simple single flap setup, readily available spares, good quality retract package designed for this plane that holds air. AND, it is one of the best flying jets out there,very easy to take off and land,forgiving in flight with no nasty habits yet totally aerobatic with an 80-100 on board. I would not be without mine. Not sure what the price is in the US but it will be competitive for sure.
+1. Global Jet Club carries the Xcalibur in the usa it will run you $1500.00 with gear.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:32 AM
toolmaker7341

I have a Navy Cat and the workmanship is very very good . I had a problum with the nose gear (cylinder only) I called Yong on SUNDAY and he called back 1 hr. later. I told him the problem and he said that he would send a new retract,I told him not the strut as I had crimped the stearing cables. Well 4 days later I received a whole new gear strut,wheel and all. Great customer service from Yong.You can make it disassemble by not glueing the stab to the boom and just use the 4 screws which screw into blind nuts.Plenty strong enough. You'll need air disconnects for the retracts. It would easly fit in a Smart car. I haven't flown it yet waiting for my turbine to come back from service.

Last edited by toolmaker7341; 06-07-2014 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:39 AM
bmnewland

Originally Posted by jetster81
http://www.globaljetclub.com/

Yes, the Xcalibur may be the one. Like the looks and all things mentioned above. I don't see how to order on the Global website. Do you have to talk to one of the advisors on the toll free number? Also will the KingTech K80 be a drop in fit?
Old 06-07-2014, 12:14 PM
jetster81

Originally Posted by bmnewland
http://www.globaljetclub.com/

Yes, the Xcalibur may be the one. Like the looks and all things mentioned above. I don't see how to order on the Global website. Do you have to talk to one of the advisors on the toll free number? Also will the KingTech K80 be a drop in fit?
Kingtech 80 will make a very nice combination and will fit no problem.
Old 06-07-2014, 12:20 PM
DominicM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXFr8GsOnDg
Old 06-10-2014, 04:30 AM
bmnewland

Originally Posted by DominicM
Wow. Looks like a good flier. I wonder what engine they were using..
Old 06-10-2014, 04:34 AM
bmnewland

Just wondering and wanting an opinion from you all. Should I start with an EDF jet before going Turbine? Just been flying jets on my simulator. I've been flying for a lot of years. Been flying IMAC Basic for the last two years. Your thoughts? Thanks.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:48 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Just wondering and wanting an opinion from you all. Should I start with an EDF jet before going Turbine? Just been flying jets on my simulator. I've been flying for a lot of years. Been flying IMAC Basic for the last two years. Your thoughts? Thanks.
No, I would not recommend an EDF before a turbine. The smaller EDFs don't fly like a turbine, so there's no real benefit there, and the bigger EDFs are still at the state where you need to be really into them as their own thing in order to be successful with them.

I would start with a trainer jet, a new, (or good used from a known source), modern turbine, and help from an AMA waiver holder who is a good pilot (the two are not always related...).

Bob
Old 06-10-2014, 08:50 AM
Quandry

I went that route and it worked for me. One thing to consider is to go with a composite style EDF not a foamy EDF. The foamy EDF's have a much lighter wing loading and can be more forgiving. I flew a Habu 32 (composite 6s version) for a year and then switched across to a Jetcat P20 Habu. They fly very similar - not identical, but very similar and I now have full confidence in flying turbines and am getting bigger and faster birds as I grow in experience.

One option would be to look at a 90mm JTM Viperjet and switch it from EDF install to a Wren 44 later on. One question comes to mind, do you have friends in your club that fly turbine? maybe a flight or two on a buddy lead could let you know how close or far away you are from jumping in to turbines.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:52 AM
bmnewland

Both good points. I think that the money I would spend on a reasonable size EDF I would rather put in on a Turbine Trainer. That is what I really want anyhow. I will have to travel about 30 minutes to another field that has a paved runway. Also our field does not allow turbine jets because of a small residential area somewhat close by. We have one turbine flyer who goes to that same field. I can do some training with him. Thanks for all the input. Very helpful.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:20 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Both good points. I think that the money I would spend on a reasonable size EDF I would rather put in on a Turbine Trainer. That is what I really want anyhow. I will have to travel about 30 minutes to another field that has a paved runway. Also our field does not allow turbine jets because of a small residential area somewhat close by. We have one turbine flyer who goes to that same field. I can do some training with him. Thanks for all the input. Very helpful.
Yes, start with a turbine trainer. With due respect to Quandry, flying a Habu 32, (EDF or turbine), does not prepare you very well for larger, heavier, highly loaded turbine aircraft.

As far as noise is concerned, you and your buddy should get your club members to measure the sound of your turbines (once you get yours) at the property boundary when you are flying. Because high frequency sounds travel less far, I'd be willing to be that the sound level from your turbine is lower that any prop plane that has an engine larger than .90 size or so. Its also much less objectionable to the whine of a gas/glow motor...

Bob