Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FEJ A-7 Build

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FEJ A-7 Build

Old 07-31-2014, 01:46 PM
jet time
My Feedback: (75)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job William! I may need to bring mine over for some "updates"!!!!! Really like what your doing on it. Can't wait to see it done. Will you have it at BITW?
Old 08-04-2014, 04:30 AM
foster4u
My Feedback: (112)

Thanks Lowell,
Based on my work schedule and free time, I anticipate beingready to fly the A-7 closer to the end of the year. However, you never know, with a little luckand a few good weekends she may be done sooner.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:16 PM
foster4u

A-7 Update:
The wings are nearly done and here’s the list of issues;

1. The spars are secured by some type of epoxy that grinds out like talcum powder.

2. The main spar support structure (carbon skins with honeycomb filler) is inadequate and will eventually fail

3. The leading edge flaps have:
a. Plastic ball linkage which will eventually fail
b. The control linkage is mounted too close to the hinge line to provide adequate leverage and will lead to flutter and failure

4. The aileron and flap hinges were extending out of the wing trailing edge with inadequate support

The horizontal tails:
1. The internal structure supporting the torque rod is inadequate and will eventually fail
a. The carbon/honeycomb supports have no wood inserts to support the anti-rotation bolts, which were loose

2. There is no support structure outboard of the torque rod which will eventually allow the horizontal structure to flex/collapse and fail

The repairs:
1. Added a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] carbon wing spar that goes through the fuselage and extends 9” into the wings
2. Added a carbon skin/foam core spar that extends 17” into the wings
3. Removed and relocated the LE flap control mounts to improve the control arm leverage
4. Installed balsa supports around the hinges onthe trailing edge of the wing
5. Replaced the horizontal tail torque rod support with ply, lite-ply, and epoxy
6. Installing a carbon/foam spar from root to tip in the horizontal stabs

FEJ took what could have been an awesome aircraft and did everything possible to ensure failure.

The construction of this aircraft is so incompetent it borders on sabotage. Without modifications to the wings and tails, it is inconceivable that this aircraft will last a single flying season.

I still love the looks and size of the A-7 and the repairs are relatively simple. But anyone that thinks they can take one of these aircraft out of the box and slam it together is asking to become another tragic event.

Last edited by foster4u; 08-31-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:27 PM
foster4u

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	A7 Tail  (5).JPG
Views:	430
Size:	2.74 MB
ID:	2027463   Click image for larger version

Name:	A7 Tail  (8).JPG
Views:	389
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	2027464   Click image for larger version

Name:	A7 Tail  (19).JPG
Views:	351
Size:	2.90 MB
ID:	2027465   Click image for larger version

Name:	A7 Tail  (15).JPG
Views:	385
Size:	2.92 MB
ID:	2027467   Click image for larger version

Name:	A7 wing (6).JPG
Views:	335
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	2027468   Click image for larger version

Name:	tank 1 (14).JPG
Views:	320
Size:	2.91 MB
ID:	2027469  
Old 08-31-2014, 02:31 PM
foster4u

Name:	A7 fuse (5).JPG
Views:	324
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	2027471   Click image for larger version

Name:	tank 1 (15).JPG
Views:	265
Size:	2.71 MB
ID:	2027472   Click image for larger version

Name:	A7 fuse (1).JPG
Views:	314
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	2027473  
Old 08-31-2014, 03:20 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by foster4u
A-7 Update:

1. The spars are secured by some type of epoxy that grinds out like talcum powder.

2. The main spar support structure (carbon skins with honeycomb filler) is inadequate and will eventually fail

b. The control linkage is mounted too close to the hinge line to provide adequate leverage and will lead to flutter and failure

4. The aileron and flap hinges were extending out of the wing trailing edge with inadequate support

The horizontal tails:
1. The internal structure supporting the torque rod is inadequate and will eventually fail
a. The carbon/honeycomb supports have no wood inserts to support the anti-rotation bolts, which were loose

2. There is no support structure outboard of the torque rod which will eventually allow the horizontal structure to flex/collapse and fail

The repairs:
1. Added a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] carbon wing spar that goes through the fuselage and extends 9” into the wings
3. Removed and relocated the LE flap control mounts to improve the control arm leverage
5. Replaced the horizontal tail torque rod support with ply, lite-ply, and epoxy

FEJ took what could have been an awesome aircraft and did everything possible to ensure failure.

The construction of this aircraft is so incompetent it borders on sabotage. Without modifications to the wings and tails, it is inconceivable that this aircraft will last a single flying season.

I still love the looks and size of the A-7 and the repairs are relatively simple. But anyone that thinks they can take one of these aircraft out of the box and slam it together is asking to become another tragic event.
Holy smokes, it sounds like it would of been less work to make a set of molds and start from scratch.. Good job on figuring this out and making the model safer!
Old 08-31-2014, 06:31 PM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

Post #28 pretty much sums up FEJ as a whole.

S
Old 08-31-2014, 08:15 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

A-7 Update:

The horizontal tails:

The repairs:

Holy crap.. kudos to you for going the extra mile for an airframe you like. It's ashamed that someone has to go these lengths to make a suposed ARF work.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:25 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This plane should be renamed from FEJ to WRF. It's great to see that you're able to reengineer so much of the plane. That's incredibly impressive and a talent that most of us lack.

Last edited by dubd; 09-01-2014 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:45 AM
steph69

congratulations on wasting your money on junk..........FEJ apologists are a disgrace to the hobby if somebody gets hurt because of this junk there will be a lot of people on here just as responsible as FEJ for talking up this crap.....

fixing up this junk and flying it will only cause more problems as others may not know how much work you had to do to make it safe. this may then sway them into believing FEJ jets are safe. (even though nothing can make this junk safe). this will cause people to spend hard earned money buying FEJ jets only for them to fail losing thousands and endangering others........

congratulations.

Last edited by steph69; 09-01-2014 at 03:20 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:56 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now why will this most likely be the last FEJ aircraft I buy?? Not because of the issues in the wing, because this is all repairable although time consuming. I reached the limit of my tolerance when they (James) agreed to my request and only after I received the aircraft and spoke to James about the wings as received, did he say “we can’t change the way we build for one customer”, if this was said in the beginning, I would have had the option of agreeing or rejecting the deal with no hard feelings. That didn’t happen. So now I understand where I stand with James and FEJ and they will continue on with one less customer.
So, basically James said, "Just because one customer wants us to build our jets correctly, doesn't mean we will change the way we do things. But we will surely lie to you about doing as you request in order to get your money, then stick you with it in the end."

Last edited by Airplanes400; 09-01-2014 at 04:59 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:52 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by steph69
congratulations on wasting your money on junk..........FEJ apologists are a disgrace to the hobby if somebody gets hurt because of this junk there will be a lot of people on here just as responsible as FEJ for talking up this crap.....

fixing up this junk and flying it will only cause more problems as others may not know how much work you had to do to make it safe. this may then sway them into believing FEJ jets are safe. (even though nothing can make this junk safe). this will cause people to spend hard earned money buying FEJ jets only for them to fail losing thousands and endangering others........

congratulations.

Dude, do you like to kick puppies too? The OP is sharing some awesome building skills, put down the FEJ hate for two seconds and enjoy.

No reasonably intelligent person is going to buy an FEJ airplane from this point forward. Its almost impossible not to find RCU on the interweb if you have enough synapses firing in your brain to allow you to turn a computer on. For those who do buy them, they have more pressing intellectual challenges ahead.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:30 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A-7 Update:

The horizontal tails:

The repairs:

Already, this is no longer an FEJ jet, and by the time you finish, this will be YOUR DESIGNED JET. What you are doing far surpasses the definition of modification. You are into a total redesign and rework project.

Don't ever call this an FEJ jet. That would be giving a bad company credit where no credit is due. If this jet lasts 100+ flights, all the credit will belong to you. In essence, you will have taken a model that was merely designed for static display only, and turned it into an airworthy jet. A few people like yourself have attempted this feat, and have not faired so well despite their best efforts. Best of luck to you. However, you may still run into issues with CD'd who have banned FEJ jets at their events.

Last edited by Airplanes400; 09-01-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:12 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DrScoles

No reasonably intelligent person is going to buy an FEJ airplane from this point forward. Its almost impossible not to find RCU on the interweb if you have enough synapses firing in your brain to allow you to turn a computer on. For those who do buy them, they have more pressing intellectual challenges ahead.

You saw this thread, right? http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...-1-4-85-a.html Granted, the guy did come on here and ask, but he clearly did not find the HUNDREDS of posts on this topic before he asked - that is, if he's not just a troll...

As a CD, I would NOT want to get into the business of examining questionable planes to see if they have been properly modified - therefore, if I felt the need to ban a certain manufacturer/model, then I would not make exceptions...

Bob

Last edited by rhklenke; 09-01-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:23 PM
Kim Couturier
My Feedback: (120)

Just an observation...it's really a shame that you paid a lot of $ for this, and basically are rebuilding and repainting it! Good luck...
Old 09-01-2014, 06:29 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,

I'm just glad you called him on that. That post was just rude to Mr. Foster for no good reason I could make out.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:10 PM
foster4u

Getting a little bit closer...

Name:	IMG_0453.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	462.0 KB
ID:	2073804   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0455.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	455.0 KB
ID:	2073805   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0458.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	495.7 KB
ID:	2073806  
Old 02-16-2015, 03:13 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm with Invertmast on the plug comment. Buy the jets cheap, mod them, make molds and go forth and conquer. They do it 24/7/365 it's only fair. If I had the space and time I'd do it myself.

Love the A-7 by the way, good luck on the maiden and I hope you post vids and pics. I'd really like to have this size A-7 but until SM makes one I'm hanging out.

Last edited by Chris Nicastro; 02-16-2015 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:13 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Very nice! It looks like it is worth all the effort.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:25 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
I'm with Invertmast on the plug comment. Buy the jets cheap, mod them, make molds and go forth and conquer. They do it 24/7/365 it's only fair. If I had the space and time I'd do it myself.

Love the A-7 by the way, good luck on the maiden and I hope you post vids and pics. I'd really like to have this size A-7 but until SM makes one I'm hanging out.
If i had the money id do it on some of their more unique models...
Old 02-17-2015, 01:36 AM
myersflyers
My Feedback: (33)

One of my favorite jets....beautifully reconstructed & painted. When is the first flight planned?
Old 07-05-2015, 03:04 PM
foster4u

First flight happened this morning. Excellent flying plane!
Old 07-05-2015, 03:36 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Congrats!!!
Old 07-05-2015, 05:00 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats! Sorry I couldn't be out there today Bill. Family in town for the weekend.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:32 PM
foster4u

No problem Rick

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	563.8 KB
ID:	2107727  

Last edited by foster4u; 07-05-2015 at 06:38 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.